Nikon F5 lens compability

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Swedishphotographer New Member • Posts: 1
Nikon F5 lens compability

I have just bought a Nikon F5 and I did think that my lenses to my other camera, D850, would work. But no? The problem is that the subwheel for the aperture is locked on 2,8, no matter how I rotate it.I have one AF-S Nikkor 18-35/3,5-4,5. With that one there is no problem to set the aperture. BUT. I have the new 24-70/2,8 E ED and the new 70-200/2,8 E FL ED, and they both are stuck on aperture 2,8, no matter what I´m doing.I did think that I would be able to use all three lenses on my new film-camera, but that does not seem the case.Have you discovered this problem. I don´t think I´m missing some hidden setting. (There are not many settings at all, and I have checked the custom settings as well) I have been working with Nikon as a pro newspaper photographer for more than 35 years so that`s annoying me even more that I´ve got this problem.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 17,697
Right

Swedishphotographer wrote:

I have just bought a Nikon F5 and I did think that my lenses to my other camera, D850, would work. But no? The problem is that the subwheel for the aperture is locked on 2,8, no matter how I rotate it.I have one AF-S Nikkor 18-35/3,5-4,5. With that one there is no problem to set the aperture. BUT. I have the new 24-70/2,8 E ED and the new 70-200/2,8 E FL ED, and they both are stuck on aperture 2,8, no matter what I´m doing.I did think that I would be able to use all three lenses on my new film-camera, but that does not seem the case.Have you discovered this problem. I don´t think I´m missing some hidden setting. (There are not many settings at all, and I have checked the custom settings as well) I have been working with Nikon as a pro newspaper photographer for more than 35 years so that`s annoying me even more that I´ve got this problem.

Nikon "E" lenses have electrically controlled diaphragms rather than the mechanical lever used since the beginning of the F-mount. Nikon film cameras can't operate them.

For that matter, older Nikon DSLR's can't operate them. I think the D300 was the first camera that is compatible with "E" lenses.

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/ni/NI_article?articleNo=000004725&configured=1&lang=en_US

Welcome to F-mount compatibility.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Mitrajoon Senior Member • Posts: 2,011
Re: Right

The good news is that E lenses will work on an F5 at whatever is their widest aperture.

a_c_skinner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,812
Re: Nikon F5 lens compability

Dear old Ken is probably the best source: https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm .

One of the reasons I fell out of love with Nikon was when their latest lenses wouldn't work on my D800; it wasn't an immediate issue but I simply tired of trying to keep up with what worked with what.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Weegee
Weegee Senior Member • Posts: 2,589
That is why I still have ( and Use ) my Nikon D700

No text.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads