AF Adapter Any Lens on MFT

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
FujiS3ProGuy
FujiS3ProGuy Junior Member • Posts: 38
AF Adapter Any Lens on MFT

Hi,

I am pretty new to MFT but I like my Olympus camera. Since I used a lot of different brands in the past I am curious to know which AF capable adapters can be purchased to put my lenses to use.

I know that there is an AF Adapter for my FT-Lenses to MFT.

I also read about Canon to MFT AF adapters but other than those two, are there more?

I am not really interested in manual focus solutions.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Gregor

-- hide signature --

Gear:
Sigma SD Quattro / Sigma 30mm 1:1,4 ART
Fuji S3 Pro / Nikon D 50mm 1:1,4
Olympus OM-D E-m10 / Yi 42mm 1:1,8

FujiS3ProGuy's gear list:FujiS3ProGuy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sigma sd Quattro
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 12,584
Re: AF Adapter Any Lens on MFT

AFAIK that is it...

Because there should be no AF adapter for Nikon lens.

For Fuji and Sony, their flange distance is shorter than M43, basically adapted any of their lens on M43 would see vignetting.

However, MF on M43 is indeed not difficult at all. It could be much easier than the old film MF days. For the Pannys, there is MF assist (magnification of the focus point) as well as Focus Peaking that make MF easy and joy to use.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
FujiS3ProGuy
OP FujiS3ProGuy Junior Member • Posts: 38

alcelc wrote:

AFAIK that is it...

For Fuji and Sony, their flange distance is shorter than M43, basically adapted any of their lens on M43 would see vignetting.

However, MF on M43 is indeed not difficult at all. It could be much easier than the old film MF days. For the Pannys, there is MF assist (magnification of the focus point) as well as Focus Peaking that make MF easy and joy to use.

It is a pity that Nikon F is not available. There are most of my lenses.
Also Sony/Minolta AF (not E/FE) is only available with correction lens and MF.

Maybe I will try the MF way with an Nikon F adapter after all. I would like to use my Sigma 105/2.8 Macro and Nikon D 50/1.4.

Thank you for your anwer!

Gregor

-- hide signature --

Gear:

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 64,270

FujiS3ProGuy wrote:

alcelc wrote:

AFAIK that is it...

It is a pity that Nikon F is not available. There are most of my lenses.
Also Sony/Minolta AF (not E/FE) is only available with correction lens and MF.

Maybe I will try the MF way with an Nikon F adapter after all. I would like to use my Sigma 105/2.8 Macro and Nikon D 50/1.4.

Thank you for your anwer!

Gregor

The Nikon AF protocol makes it very difficult with mirrorless cameras, especially those without PDAF on the sensor. Nikon has managed to make working adapters for the 1 and Z systems because they know exactly how it all works, which isn't an advantage that third party reverse engineering has. The Nikon protocol has no way of absolutely positioning the focus position, so the Nikon AF adapters are constantly active. There is also the issue of mechanical aperture control, which means that an adapter can't be a simple electronic device, it needs an aperture actuator built-in.

Your Nikon D has mechanical AF connection, so wouldn't work with any likely adapter. For instance, had you bought a Nikon Z, it wouldn't AF with the FTZ adapter. Your problem using those lenses with MF, is that the MF action isn't so great.

-- hide signature --

...because you know, sometimes words have two meanings.

FujiS3ProGuy

Thank you for the insight.

I did not know that Nikon could keep their technology so well hidden from other companies. I wonder if Canon did give those informations away since there are a lot more adapters available even though canon should be the same.

Gregor

-- hide signature --

Gear:

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 64,270

FujiS3ProGuy wrote:

Thank you for the insight.

I did not know that Nikon could keep their technology so well hidden from other companies.

I didn't mean to suggest that Nikon was keeping it's technology hidden, more than any other company. It's that the F mount is much more difficult to work with for CD and hybrid AF. It's why Nikon live view AF has never been up to scratch. I think Nikon has likely put a lot of effort into solving the problem. Their first effort, with the 1 system worked well enough but put lots of restrictions on the AF (like just using a single point). After a few years,their implementation for the Z removed those restrictions. That points to it not being easy. I doubt that independents have the same resources to put into it for conversion adapters, which are a bit of a minority product any way.

I wonder if Canon did give those informations away since there are a lot more adapters available even though canon should be the same.

Canon is not the same. The AF protocols for the EF mount work completely differently. The Canon system had electronically commanded autofocus from the start. Nikon started with a mechanically driven system, and the electronic control was put in essentially by making an electronic version of the mechanical system. It requires the camera to do a lot more than the Canon system. For an adaptor, that means that the adaptor has to do a lot more than others converting between similar AF systems. I would hazard a guess that the FTZ has a lot more processing resource inside it than the common-or-garden smart adapter. Also, the Canon system in more or less its present form has been around for forty years now. There has been a lot of time for people to work out how it operates. There are a lot more adapters because it's easier and there's a bigger market.

-- hide signature --

...because you know, sometimes words have two meanings.

Henry Stamm Veteran Member • Posts: 3,188

alcelc wrote:

This is an opinion based on your experience.  For me, MF is difficult, regardless of the use of focus peaking and magnification that is available on my em1.2.  For me, MF is never a joy to use; it's a pain in the a . . .  and my ability to get sharp images in MF is always dependent on luck.  My eyes just cannot detect sharpness very well at all.  Focus Peaking allows some degree of micro-adjustments that can change the focus and I just have to trust that the image is actually in focus based on what the camera computer suggests.  Same is true with AF, of course, but if I put the focus square where I want the camera to focus, 99% of the time the AF does what it is supposed to do.  And it does so without me having to touch the focusing ring.

Henry Stamm's gear list:Henry Stamm's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD +4 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 12,584

Henry Stamm wrote:

alcelc wrote:

This is an opinion based on your experience. For me, MF is difficult, regardless of the use of focus peaking and magnification that is available on my em1.2. For me, MF is never a joy to use; it's a pain in the a . . . and my ability to get sharp images in MF is always dependent on luck. My eyes just cannot detect sharpness very well at all. Focus Peaking allows some degree of micro-adjustments that can change the focus and I just have to trust that the image is actually in focus based on what the camera computer suggests. Same is true with AF, of course, but if I put the focus square where I want the camera to focus, 99% of the time the AF does what it is supposed to do. And it does so without me having to touch the focusing ring.

Same here, I never doubt on the AF of my cameras (I use Panasonics 😀).

MF is not for my everyday shooting. Back to the very early day of M43 MILC, when there were only 2 native lenses I had not much option but to recall the retired vintage MF Nikon film lenses. The 28mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8 and 135mm macro were great supplement to the 14~45 & 45~200. I had no FP at that time. When more M43 lenses were released, adapted MF lenses were reduced to shooting for fun only.

I have eye sight issue and need spectacles for doing nearly everything. Some 40/45 years ago while there were only MF film slrs, I had a hard time and needed a 2x magnified add on eye piece over the ovf, yet focusing was hit and miss. I had been so happy while there was AF invented although now I know AF at that time was not get reliable. Now on M43, MF indeed becomes a joy to use.

For usual shooting, MF is of course not an option because it takes time. If I am not in a hurry, MF actually gives me the full enjoyment on slow focus processing... My 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Chris DC Regular Member • Posts: 212

Sell your Sigma 105f2.8 in the Nikon mount and buy the same lens in the four thirds mount. Then use the mmf-3 adapter. Works great!

rurikw Senior Member • Posts: 2,882

Henry Stamm wrote:

alcelc wrote:

This is an opinion based on your experience. For me, MF is difficult, regardless of the use of focus peaking and magnification that is available on my em1.2. For me, MF is never a joy to use; it's a pain in the a . . . and my ability to get sharp images in MF is always dependent on luck. My eyes just cannot detect sharpness very well at all. Focus Peaking allows some degree of micro-adjustments that can change the focus and I just have to trust that the image is actually in focus based on what the camera computer suggests. Same is true with AF, of course, but if I put the focus square where I want the camera to focus, 99% of the time the AF does what it is supposed to do. And it does so without me having to touch the focusing ring.

Surprised that you find mf difficult. Reminds me of how people experience EVFs differently. Slow it is for sure.  I'm another one who enjoys mf for the almost infinite accuracy magnification allows (in my experience). I mostly use it with my Macro-Takumar 50/4. Focus peaking I don't find very useful on my GX7. Half of the time the shimmer never shows up and when it does, it's often all over the place.

rurikw's gear list:rurikw's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +28 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 39,655
The EF Mount Elephant?

Strange that no one has mentioned the EF mount  - or am I missing something?

There are a number of EF-M4/3 adapters that offer AF for EF mount lenses  on M4/3 bodies.  There are focal reduction adapters as well.

Metabones is the best supported and most comprehensive but there are others such as Viltrox and Kipon that can do reasonably well.  Quite a few other cheap adapters can also be found but results can be very variable.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Bassaidai Regular Member • Posts: 269

There is another adapter thread going on just at the moment:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4450281

Maybe you'll find additional infos there.
Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Bass
If things appear to good to be true - they're usually neither of both.

Bassaidai's gear list:Bassaidai's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +7 more
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 8,960
Re: The EF Mount Elephant?

UTom Caldwell wrote:

Strange that no one has mentioned the EF mount - or am I missing something?

yes, you missed that the OP said “I also read about Canon to MFT AF adapters but other than those two, are there more?”

Peter

Messier Object wrote:

UTom Caldwell wrote:

yes, you missed that the OP said “I also read about Canon to MFT AF adapters but other than those two, are there more?”

Peter

Mmm - I admit to being dense but “those two” - which “those”?  There are more than “two” ...

One might have set up some sort of benchmark on “those” to work as a reference set.

In any case EF->whatever adapters must be the reference by which others must be judged as arguably the first and best fleshed out of all electronic adapters - no serious discussion can surely be had without an established standard of compatibility and performance that provides a basis for comparison.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Bassaidai wrote:

Not really - cheers again ...

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

FujiS3ProGuy

Thank you for the Explanation.

-- hide signature --

Gear:

FujiS3ProGuy

Bassaidai wrote:

Cheers,

Thank you for the hint.

If I search for Canon to MFT adapters, it will be of help.

Gregor

-- hide signature --

Gear:

Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 8,960

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

UTom Caldwell wrote:

yes, you missed that the OP said “I also read about Canon to MFT AF adapters but other than those two, are there more?”

Peter

Mmm - I admit to being dense but “those two” - which “those”? There are more than “two” ...

One might have set up some sort of benchmark on “those” to work as a reference set.

In any case EF->whatever adapters must be the reference by which others must be judged as arguably the first and best fleshed out of all electronic adapters - no serious discussion can surely be had without an established standard of compatibility and performance that provides a basis for comparison.

The OP specifically asked for info on adapters other than those for 4/3 and EF lenses.

”those two” being the 4/3 and EF types.

To paraphrase the OP:  “I know about the adapters for 4/3 lenses, and those for EF lenses, but other than those two . . .”

Peter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads