Why does the Fujifilm X-A5 perform so well in the ICT?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
ms visual New Member • Posts: 3
Why does the Fujifilm X-A5 perform so well in the ICT?

I've been playing with the Image Comparison Tool from DP and noticed that the Fujifilm X-A5 perorms kinda... good. Well better then it should.

I noticed especially on the drawing of the old guy, you can see here:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=fujifilm_xa5&attr13_1=fujifilm_xh1&attr13_2=fujifilm_xpro3&attr13_3=fujifilm_xt2&attr15_0=jpeg&attr15_1=jpeg&attr15_2=jpeg&attr15_3=jpeg&attr16_0=1600&attr16_1=1600&attr16_2=1600&attr16_3=1600&normalization=full&widget=1&x=0.6130474661774821&y=-0.15484037613976848

I hope that Link works, but essentially what I did is compare a bunch of Fuji's with each other at ISO1600. And well... The X-A5 seems to do so much better, which doesn't make sense to me since it should be the entry level camera. Right? So in theory the better Fuji's with the better Sensors should have a better image.

I then tried it with a few higher and DSLM's:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/fullscreen?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=fujifilm_xa5&attr13_1=sony_a7iii&attr13_2=panasonic_dcs1&attr13_3=nikon_z7&attr15_0=jpeg&attr15_1=jpeg&attr15_2=jpeg&attr15_3=jpeg&attr16_0=200&attr16_1=200&attr16_2=200&attr16_3=200&attr126_2=1&normalization=compare&widget=1&x=0.6130474661774821&y=-0.15484037613976848

So I don't know about you guys, but to me, it looks like the X-A5 is outperforming the A7III and S1, which makes zero sense to me. Z7 looks better tho, which is also odd cause why does the Z7 look so much better then die A7III or S1?

When moving around it show's that it's not always the case, that on other motives like the grass it becomes apperant the X-A5 isn't better then the others, but it seems to hold up so well, like it's at least in the same league as Z7's and S1's... Which... it doesn't.

Am I crazy?

ms visual's gear list:ms visual's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +13 more
FinePix S1 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 12,422
?

Are you serious?

Please look at the Bank Note section (I had the coins been covered) which has a lot more fine detail to compare than the old man scratching.

Form ISO800 onward, in terms of jpg, fine detail of the bank note from Fuji started to lose whereas other 3 FF were doing fine. On RAW, Fuji image was relatively soft along the ISOs and from ISO1600 onward, it starts to fall apart...

I suppose there is a reason that larger size sensor has advantage on higher ISO than smaller size sensor. I would rather compare models of similar size sensor. Any attempt to challenge the bigger brothers, if on similar generation technology, would usually end up nowhere.

As long as we are happy with our gear, why we have to prove my gear is so good that can match with, if not better than, some bigger size sensor models?

Happy shooting.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 10,697
Re: Why does the Fujifilm X-A5 perform so well in the ICT?

Fuji does an excellent job with their processor algorithms and although their upper-level cameras are built better than their entry-level cameras and have much more advanced features, image quality using the same lenses probably won't be that much different.

Also, Fuji uses Bayer sensors on most of their entry-level cameras and the X-Trans sensor on all of their upper-level cameras so some people might prefer the rendering of the Bayer sensor over the X-Trans sensor.

I don't actually see much difference in image quality between the two but some people do.

When it comes to overall image quality (whatever that really means) Fuji images are among the very best and some people like to compare Fuji images to cameras that have a full-frame sensor but "in the real world" with lenses of equal quality I'd say a camera with a full-frame sensor is going to have the upper hand for almost any situation.

Every sensor has its limitations, based on size, and even when you combine that sensor with an excellent processor and great lens, it'll still be at a disadvantage when compared to a larger sensor.

I think Fuji cameras are great but the only way I could see an X-A5 outperforming a full-frame camera would be if the Full-frame camera had a kit lens attached and the X-A5 had one of Fuji's excellent XF lenses attached.

Naturally, all this is just my opinion and I've been wrong before.

Bobthearch
Bobthearch Veteran Member • Posts: 9,127
Re: Why does the Fujifilm X-A5 perform so well in the ICT?

I agree the X-A5 does well against the other Fuji models.

But your second test, the X-A5 is not on par with the larger sensors.  The results are sort-of similar given certain parameters, but crank the ISO to see the obvious shortcoming.

-- hide signature --

Personal non-commercial websites with no ads or tracking:
Local photography: http://ratonphotos.com/
Travel and photography: http://placesandpics.com/
Special-interest photos: http://ghosttowns.placesandpics.com/

Bobthearch's gear list:Bobthearch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +2 more
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617
Fuji (BAYER SENSOR) A3/A5/A7 is sharper than X-Trans

This is not news.  If you ever read the past Fuji Forum post, many people have notice that the cheaper BAYER Fuji sensor are sharper than the X-Trans posts. This is particularly true when it comes to sharpness of Tree & Shrubs, where X-Trans sensor tend to render them into mushy water-color.  As I recalled, there was a quite a large base of Bayer Sensor fans in Fuji forum.

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6
Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 10,697
Re: Fuji (BAYER SENSOR) A3/A5/A7 is sharper than X-Trans

007peter wrote:

This is not news. If you ever read the past Fuji Forum post, many people have notice that the cheaper BAYER Fuji sensor are sharper than the X-Trans posts. This is particularly true when it comes to sharpness of Tree & Shrubs, where X-Trans sensor tend to render them into mushy water-color. As I recalled, there was a quite a large base of Bayer Sensor fans in Fuji forum.

yes, but most of the people who prefer the Bayer sensors in Fuji entry-level cameras are usually people with little experience or people who have never owned an upper-level Fuji camera.

Even your comment about "mushy water-color" is information that's so outdated it's basically irrelevant and if a person still has problems with this it's usually because they're using an older version of Lightroom or have no idea how to process a raw image and simply use preset functions. (probably what a lot of beginners do)

It took Adobe a while to upgrade their processing algorithms to play nice with X-Trans. (Phase One  got it right much quicker and their Capture One raw processor is still better than Lightroom for Fuji files)

Naturally, Fuji thinks of everyone and for inexperienced photographers or people who can't properly process an X-Trans raw image, Fuji puts Bayer sensors in their entry-level cameras.

No other company values its customers enough to makes things as simple as possible.

"Fuji, the company that cares."

holashobby Contributing Member • Posts: 774
Re: Wrong, its a meme, it a'int so

007peter wrote:

This is not news. If you ever read the past Fuji Forum post, many people have notice that the cheaper BAYER Fuji sensor are sharper than the X-Trans posts. This is particularly true when it comes to sharpness of Tree & Shrubs,

This is totally incorrect, if it were true, it will be trivial to demonstrate using the Studio Comparison tool. Furthermore, multiple controlled tests published online would have picked it up.

where X-Trans sensor tend to render them into mushy water-color. As I recalled, there was a quite a large base of Bayer Sensor fans in Fuji forum.

holashobby's gear list:holashobby's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads