M6ii Shutter Button Issue

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Hoka Hey
Hoka Hey Senior Member • Posts: 1,283
M6ii Shutter Button Issue

The shutter button on my M6ii has a behavior that I'm not used to. When I half press, I meet resistance. Then, I have to press just a little harder to activate AF. On my R and 5D4, when I meet resistance, AF is activated without any need for further pressure.

Have other folks noticed this? If so, is it an issue or a feature?

-- hide signature --

Joe

Hoka Hey
OP Hoka Hey Senior Member • Posts: 1,283
Re: M6ii Shutter Button Issue

Hoka Hey wrote:

The shutter button on my M6ii has a behavior that I'm not used to. When I half press, I meet resistance. Then, I have to press just a little harder to activate AF. On my R and 5D4, when I meet resistance, AF is activated without any need for further pressure.

Bump.

I'm missing shots because the AF is not activating when I reach 1st resistance.

If you are not having this issue, please confirm that this is not normal.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Joe

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,896

Mine feels just about right.

Can you AF without actually tripping the shutter?

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 II
Hoka Hey

R2D2 wrote:

R2

Thanks R2.

I hit resistance. Then, I have to press a little more to get AF. Then I press firmly to trip the shutter.

I hit resistance and trigger AF at the same time on the R and the 5D4.

I had originally thought that AF was extra taking time to acquire focus on the M6ii. However, I now have figured out that I have to press harder to get AF. I think that have a bad unit and am going to send it back unless others are having the same experience and there is a good reason to have two different levels of "half-press."

-- hide signature --

Joe

davidgp
davidgp Contributing Member • Posts: 565

Hoka Hey wrote:

Joe

I've never noticed this. But lately I've been using back-button focus, so I'm not really paying attention to the half shutter point anymore. I'll check it out later this morning and let you know what I find.

-David

davidgp's gear list:davidgp's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +1 more
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,896

Hoka Hey wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

R2

Thanks R2.

I hit resistance. Then, I have to press a little more to get AF. Then I press firmly to trip the shutter.

I had originally thought that AF was extra taking time to acquire focus on the M6ii. However, I now have figured out that I have to press harder to get AF. I think that have a bad unit and am going to send it back unless others are having the same experience and there is a good reason to have two different levels of "half-press."

I have noticed that shutter feel varies somewhat between bodies (over the years).  See if you can try out another copy if this one doesn’t feel right though.

Good luck,

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 II
Hoka Hey

R2D2 wrote:

Hoka Hey wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

R2

Thanks R2.

I have noticed that shutter feel varies somewhat between bodies (over the years). See if you can try out another copy if this one doesn’t feel right though.

Good luck,

R2

Thanks R2.

-- hide signature --

Joe

E-M1XR Regular Member • Posts: 278

Hoka Hey wrote:

I can’t say I’ve noticed anything unusual on either of our units, but will double check. Could it be configured differently to the default?

davidgp
davidgp Contributing Member • Posts: 565

Hoka Hey wrote:

So, I tried this today.  I'm not sure I'd describe my camera's behavior as you do.  I found that it auto-focused as I reached the maximum resistance but not before, then extra force was needed to overcome the resistance and trigger the shutter.

This seems a bit different than my T2i, but very easy to use, so I have no complaints.  Though as I mentioned earlier, I'm currently using back-button focusing.

-David

davidgp's gear list:davidgp's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +1 more
filibuster
filibuster Veteran Member • Posts: 3,998

This garnered my curiosity, so I thought to try it first on the M6; then the M6ii. No discernible difference between the two cameras, with a simple light touch to the resistance point for the green box, followed by shutter actuation with a slightly firmer press.

-- hide signature --

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is!
filibuster (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK)
Filibuster Script & Batch File Auto-Processing for Paint Shop Pro 2019
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4xDHgykzUu5H4Q7t7
Astro Turf the garden https://photos.app.goo.gl/GyeDrjncjKh1X7pJ8

Hoka Hey

Today, I realized that AF was going off and on even when I felt like I was exerting constant pressure on the shutter button.

I'm going to return the unit.

Thanks to all.

-- hide signature --

Joe

nnowak Veteran Member • Posts: 6,008

Hoka Hey wrote:

Today, I realized that AF was going off and on even when I felt like I was exerting constant pressure on the shutter button.

Thanks to all.

Definitely sounds like a defective unit.

Noogy
Noogy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,099

Hoka Hey wrote:

I noticed such hesitation in the first week I used the camera. It's gone now. Don't know if it's some kind of breaking in. I'm nearing two thousand shots now in my M6II btw if that helps.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +10 more
Hoka Hey

Noogy wrote:

Hoka Hey wrote:

I noticed such hesitation in the first week I used the camera. It's gone now. Don't know if it's some kind of breaking in. I'm nearing two thousand shots now in my M6II btw if that helps.

Thanks Noogy. My unit just doesn't seem right. It seems like it's getting worse instead of better.

-- hide signature --

Joe

E-M1XR Regular Member • Posts: 278

Hoka Hey wrote:

Thanks to all.

That doesn’t sound right at all. Good idea on returning it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads