Jintu Adapter+ Sigma 60-600mm f/Canon NO GO on Panasonic G9

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Bobby Handal
Bobby Handal Veteran Member • Posts: 5,719
Jintu Adapter+ Sigma 60-600mm f/Canon NO GO on Panasonic G9

well , I purchased the Jintu adapter for $64 and I have the following to say:

a) construction is decent, although the contacts and mount was a little dirty. I cleaned them.

b) I expected for AF to be slow, but it isn't even slow, it does NOT WORK at all with both lenses I tested: Sigma 60-600mm and Canon 40mm lens.

c) All controls kind of work, when put the camera in Manual focus, peaking helps a lot to focus, but again no autofocus. OS on sigma lens does NOT work but IBIS works fine which is great.

d) it gave one single error but turned off and on camera , worked fine. I suspect is how I held the big sigma lens, too much stress on adapter.

I tried to find a web site that worked for Jintu, to see if a firmware of some kind was available and nothing, none found.

anyway, I guess what you paid for. Has anyone had this experience also?

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Olympus TG-5 Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon 1 V2 +71 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bobby Handal
OP Bobby Handal Veteran Member • Posts: 5,719
Re: Jintu Adapter+ Sigma 60-600mm f/Canon NO GO on Panasonic G9

apparently Jintu makes two identical adapters, one with AF and one without. It seems I bought the one without af.

EF-M4/3 and EF-MFT AF.

Oh well.

Nikon Coolpix AW130 Olympus TG-5 Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon 1 V2 +71 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 39,716
Re: Jintu Adapter+ Sigma 60-600mm MF only

I have been a fan of the Jintu MF-only EF-M4/3 adapter for some time - it provides everything but AF including camera-lens communication, IS and the lens becomes a full MF lens!  Much better than a mechanical iris located in the wrong technical position and guess the aperture.

I would not worry about the AF version - it is not very good, but the MF version is a bargain for those that don’t mind a fully communication MF experience.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Bassaidai Regular Member • Posts: 276
Re: Jintu Adapter+ Sigma 60-600mm f/Canon NO GO on Panasonic G9

I have tested the Viltrox EF-M2 and Metabones T-Smart adapter (no glas, no FL multiplier, no f-stop gain) on several lenses:

- Canon 70-200/2.8
- Canon 100-400/4.0-5.6
- Sigma 120-300/2.8
- Sigma 150-600/6.3
- Canon 24/1.4
- Canon 50/1.4
- Canon 85/1.2

and I have to say AF-wise I'm very disappointed with the adapters.

Especially at long focal lengths they all struggle to "hit" the AF properly. Somehow the cameras (Gh5 & G9) seem to think to have nailed the focus (focus confirmation "beep") but the actual photo is FULLY blurred. We're not talking little or even strong back/front focus shift, but completely disfocused. Refocusing three to five times will sometimes hit the correct focus point, then maybe even shifted a little to the back or front. So overall AF is completely unreliable and thus useless.

Adapting lenses does nicely work for aperture control and reporting the focal length back to the system (important for IBIS). It that sense I really enjoy using the'ole EF buddies on m43 using manual focus.

Still the past 2 years have shown that lens by lens has been replaced by native m43 equivalent lens. So the EFs are fading out as does the usage of automatic adapters.

I found playing with manual adapters on vintage lenses to be much more fun:

Canon FD 600/4.5 S.S.C., ~500 stacked images extracted from 4k/60fps video

-- hide signature --

Bass
If things appear to good to be true - they're usually neither of both.

Bassaidai's gear list:Bassaidai's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +7 more
AF with electronic adapters

Sorry to hear that - I am not unhappy with the AF performance of my electronic EF-M4/3 adapters - be they Metabones or Viltrox. So much so that I bought several Sigma DC lenses in EF mount specifically for use adapted to M4/3 bodies.

I also don’t mind manual focus lenses and the Jintu MF-only adapter can make EF lenses into capable MF lenses with full communication with the camera body including aperture control. Very economical if you prefer to do your own focusing.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Bobby Handal
OP Bobby Handal Veteran Member • Posts: 5,719
Re: AF with electronic adapters

Interesting comments. Perhaps is time to save up and bite the bullet. Thanks

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Sorry to hear that - I am not unhappy with the AF performance of my electronic EF-M4/3 adapters - be they Metabones or Viltrox. So much so that I bought several Sigma DC lenses in EF mount specifically for use adapted to M4/3 bodies.

I also don’t mind manual focus lenses and the Jintu MF-only adapter can make EF lenses into capable MF lenses with full communication with the camera body including aperture control. Very economical if you prefer to do your own focusing.

Re: AF with electronic adapters

Bobby Handal wrote:

Interesting comments. Perhaps is time to save up and bite the bullet. Thanks

Be aware that I have no knowledge whatsoever on whether the Sigma 60-600 will work on any electronic adapter - be sure and do your research if that is the only lens you might need adapting.  My guess is that such a lens with an unusually large zoom range might be asking a lot from any adapter.

Tom Caldwell wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads