Should I use a tripod collar for 14-24mm FX lens

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
kokopuffs
kokopuffs Senior Member • Posts: 1,074
Should I use a tripod collar for 14-24mm FX lens

AF-S NIKKOR 14-24MM 1:2.8G-ED  This lens is awfully heavy and please pardon my inexperience with SLRs (my first one)

TIA

-- hide signature --

kokopuffs

kokopuffs's gear list:kokopuffs's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +2 more
LordKOTL
LordKOTL Senior Member • Posts: 1,386
Re: Should I use a tripod collar for 14-24mm FX lens

kokopuffs wrote:

AF-S NIKKOR 14-24MM 1:2.8G-ED This lens is awfully heavy and please pardon my inexperience with SLRs (my first one)

TIA

The lens weighs 2.2lbs.  The Nikon 24-120 lens weighs more (2.65lbs) and doesn't need one.  A buddy shoots that 24-120 lens all the time.

I don't have solid proof of this, but it appears as it ~3lbs is the breakover point between needing a collar and not needing one (i.e. weights of lenses like the 70-200/500pf that come with a collar, and ones that don't).

I think you'll be okay without one.

Good luck and happy shooting!

-- hide signature --

There's no shame in using auto or semiauto modes--no matter what the salesdroids at Best Buy tell you.

LordKOTL's gear list:LordKOTL's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +3 more
larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,818

Not needed

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +7 more
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 17,689

I don't know if one exists. There really doesn't seem to be anywhere on the lens to attach one.

It is big and heavy but it's not terribly long.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,818

Leonard Migliore wrote:

I don't know if one exists. There really doesn't seem to be anywhere on the lens to attach one.

It is big and heavy but it's not terribly long.

One thing I do with a lens over a couple lbs. is pick up the camera and lens by the lens and avoid lifting the camera and lens from a face down position by the camera.  It takes a little more care with a heavy lens over 2 lbs. or so to avoid putting too much pressure on the camera mount.

Larry

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +7 more
kokopuffs
OP kokopuffs Senior Member • Posts: 1,074

larrywilson wrote......................One thing I do with a lens over a couple lbs. is pick up the camera and lens by the lens and avoid lifting the camera and lens from a face down position by the camera. It takes a little more care with a heavy lens over 2 lbs. or so to avoid putting too much pressure on the camera mount.

Larry

With said lens mounted but not in use I place the lens (with cover) face down on the desk. When I pick it up I lift by grasping both the lens and the camera strap. With your recommendation I'll lift the camera off of the desk by the lens only.

-- hide signature --

kokopuffs

kokopuffs's gear list:kokopuffs's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +2 more
IainD Senior Member • Posts: 2,266

I definitely agree with the posts above. No need and don't worry.

It is a very nice lens, but keep in mind Steve Perry's words

"Tools, not jewels!" Never advocating abuse, but don't get too concerned about using your gear.

Iain

BISCUT Regular Member • Posts: 166

I'm a happy enthusiast, not a pro.  I've always handheld mine and have some of my favorite kids pics from this awesome (yet huge) lens.  Haiti in 2016. 10, 8, and 5.

Gr8 lens!

BISCUT's gear list:BISCUT's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +9 more
gnagel Veteran Member • Posts: 7,896

kokopuffs wrote:

AF-S NIKKOR 14-24MM 1:2.8G-ED This lens is awfully heavy and please pardon my inexperience with SLRs (my first one)

TIA

That is one of my most used lenses over the past decade. I always use a tripod, but never use a collar with that lens. There is really no need.

Glenn

Reggie Stration
Reggie Stration Regular Member • Posts: 385

The best authority to decide this are the Nikon experts who design their lenses. If a lens needs a tripod collar they typically include one. The 14-24 doesn’t come with a collar. Also, it’s a wide angle rather than a long tele where sharpness and a rock solid mount are more of an issue.

That said, though the newer version of the 80-400 does come with a factory tripod collar it is quite flimsy and flexible so on mine, I replaced it with the RRS collar which is vastly superior.

The 14-24 doesn’t need one but as always, a solid tripod and L bracket mount are highly advisable for critical sharpness.

Also though it is often referred to as a heavy lens, it weighs slightly more than the 24-70 2.8 and slightly less than the newer VR version of the 24-70, neither of which come with a tripod collar.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads