Nikon Colors

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Verto Regular Member • Posts: 274
Nikon Colors

I'm wondering why doesn't people ever talk about Nikon Colors? All you hear is Canon, Canon, Canon. And then Sony isn't as good. (which I agree, I had an older Sony camera and the colors were so awful I sold it) I just did my first shoot with the Z6 and 50mm 1.8 and the colors are stunning. Beautiful, warm and vibrant. I actually like them better than the Canon.

Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
starfly Contributing Member • Posts: 622
Re: Nikon Colors

Verto wrote:

I'm wondering why doesn't people ever talk about Nikon Colors? All you hear is Canon, Canon, Canon. And then Sony isn't as good. (which I agree, I had an older Sony camera and the colors were so awful I sold it) I just did my first shoot with the Z6 and 50mm 1.8 and the colors are stunning. Beautiful, warm and vibrant. I actually like them better than the Canon.

Nikon is bad at marketing, that's why   Otherwise agree, Nikon colors are good.

starfly's gear list:starfly's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8
DigitalFFUser Senior Member • Posts: 1,424

Verto wrote:

I actually like Nikon colors more than Canon.  Canon has more reddish tint compared to Nikon where as Nikon colors are more neutral and accurate.  Nikon softwares process Nikon colors the best.

DigitalFFUser's gear list:DigitalFFUser's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +12 more
NCB Senior Member • Posts: 1,194

People do rate Nikon colors. Just read in the right place.

There is an attitude which says colors don't matter because all real photographers shoot raw and that way you can have any colors you want. Which of course is a load of nonsense but hey!

NCB's gear list:NCB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D3100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 3,633

Verto wrote:

People do. But it's an endless debate between Sony, Canon and Nikon shooters about which brand produces the best / most accurate colors.

I think the other thing is that you can color correct in post using various methods.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +16 more
telefunk
telefunk Senior Member • Posts: 2,483

Verto wrote:

In the smaller cameras (P300...) I found the colours horrific, even worse than Canon

telefunk's gear list:telefunk's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Casio EX-ZR5000 Fujifilm X-A5 +5 more
Scarlett_Trinity Forum Member • Posts: 83

DigitalFFUser wrote:

Verto wrote:

I actually like Nikon colors more than Canon. Canon has more reddish tint compared to Nikon where as Nikon colors are more neutral and accurate. Nikon softwares process Nikon colors the best.

Same! I've always found Nikon colors better than Canon. I felt like I had to do more in post with Canon than Nikon. But maybe that's just me.

BISCUT Regular Member • Posts: 165

Colors are what's kept me in Nikon since the D90.  I'm elevated to D850 and a Z6 with some great lenses.  I'm a lucky guy.  I count my blessings.

Issue to me is that Nikon is not a very good self promoter.  They are really horrific at marketing.

BISCUT's gear list:BISCUT's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +9 more
1llusive
1llusive Senior Member • Posts: 1,915
Re: Nikon Colors after software

Different RAW converters give different results.

So, do "Nikon colors" remain "Nikon colors" regardless if you import into Lightroom, Capture One, DXO, Rawtherapee, or Nikon's own software? Do any of these cause a loss of "Nikon colors"?

1llusive's gear list:1llusive's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8
Varuas Contributing Member • Posts: 546

Verto wrote:

If you shoot jpg or 8bit video, getting out of camera colors is pretty important. Once 12bit internal raw video becomes the norm, the color science does not pose a huge issue to advanced users .

Varuas's gear list:Varuas's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D600 Nikon Z6 YI 4K+ Action Camera Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 18,663

Colour reproduction is much better in all current digital interchangeable lens bodies than 7 years ago.

You have been able to fine tune colour reproduction in most Nikon bodies for at least 7 years - assuming you want a "specific" colour look.

On the Z6 and 7 you can adjust the monitor colour balance in the set up menu if you want to. This of course does not affect colour reproduction in the image.

You can set white balance to one of 9 setting in the photo shooting menu.

In the same menu you can choose from one of 6 "looks" (plus monochrome) such as standard, portrait or landscape.

Within each of these option you can increase or decrease saturation, contrast and clarity - each of which can affect colour reproduction - with saturation having the greatest effect.

So - several hundred options for how colours can be reproduced by a modern Nikon body- not just the single "colour" implied by the thread title 

Whether your post processing software recognises these settings or bins them is another topic.

Remotely on topic I have my Nikon Z7 monochrome settings (allocated to U1) set to red filter, maximum contrast - because I find these settings help determine potential strong composition elements in a scene. If I then shoot a colour image, if there is time, I use my U1 image "look" to decide what adjustments I might make to the colour image settings.

Back on topic, sRGB and Adobe RGB (Nikon menu options) reproduce some colours, particularly greens, differently.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +25 more
Varuas Contributing Member • Posts: 546
What "is" right vs what "feels" right

I always end up destroying realistic color. I love the right (but technically wrong) colors.

This is why having pro-res RAW is going to be HUGE as it allows complete transformation of color (12bit) if necessary.

Varuas's gear list:Varuas's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D600 Nikon Z6 YI 4K+ Action Camera Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
David Lumsden
David Lumsden Contributing Member • Posts: 855

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Colour reproduction is much better in all current digital interchangeable lens bodies than 7 years ago.

You have been able to fine tune colour reproduction in most Nikon bodies for at least 7 years - assuming you want a "specific" colour look.

On the Z6 and 7 you can adjust the monitor colour balance in the set up menu if you want to. This of course does not affect colour reproduction in the image.

You can set white balance to one of 9 setting in the photo shooting menu.

In the same menu you can choose from one of 6 "looks" (plus monochrome) such as standard, portrait or landscape.

Within each of these option you can increase or decrease saturation, contrast and clarity - each of which can affect colour reproduction - with saturation having the greatest effect.

So - several hundred options for how colours can be reproduced by a modern Nikon body- not just the single "colour" implied by the thread title

Whether your post processing software recognises these settings or bins them is another topic.

Remotely on topic I have my Nikon Z7 monochrome settings (allocated to U1) set to red filter, maximum contrast -

Me too. I call my U2 settings “Tri-X”

because I find these settings help determine potential strong composition elements in a scene. If I then shoot a colour image, if there is time, I use my U1 image "look" to decide what adjustments I might make to the colour image settings.

Back on topic, sRGB and Adobe RGB (Nikon menu options) reproduce some colours, particularly greens, differently.

-- hide signature --

It’s all Bb to me.

David Lumsden's gear list:David Lumsden's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Olympus Air Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR +6 more
David A. Hamments
David A. Hamments Senior Member • Posts: 1,496

It's ironic that this topic comes up just after I posted my shot "for the week" in another thread. I stated there that IMHO, the Nikon Z6 handles colours (especially reds) better than any other Nikon body I've ever owned, and I've had many. Reds in particular are the toughest to render and the Z6 just seems to excel in this regard. This shot of a brilliant red, male cardinal is the best example I have to date of the Z6's colour rendering...

Male Cardinal - Ojibway Nature Reserve

Cheers and good light, D. Hamments
My Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhamments2013/

David A. Hamments's gear list:David A. Hamments's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +15 more
Scarlett_Trinity Forum Member • Posts: 83

1llusive wrote:

Different RAW converters give different results.

So, do "Nikon colors" remain "Nikon colors" regardless if you import into Lightroom, Capture One, DXO, Rawtherapee, or Nikon's own software? Do any of these cause a loss of "Nikon colors"?

I've heard that taking your photos into Lightroom will "break" the built in presets of your image, which is why it looks different in camera than in Lightroom. Supposedly, using NX-D is supposed to preserve the colors/settings compared to other software. Someone I saw give a talk said they use NX-D from camera and then export to Lightroom for further adjustments.

Leonard Shepherd

Scarlett_Trinity wrote:

I've heard that taking your photos into Lightroom will "break" the built in presets of your image, which is why it looks different in camera than in Lightroom

These comments are "simplistic" - to make them relatively easy to understand by those who do not use advanced post processing software.

Nikon camera body adjustments shooting Nefs use what are often called "sidecar instructions" added to the Nikon Nef file - which appropriate software reads and displays.

"Sidecar instructions" are important as they can be changed without reducing the quality of the original file.

Lightroom ignores most Nikon sidecar file instructions - which is one reason why Lightroom images often look different to a camera rear monitor.

Lightroom adds its own sidecar files when adjustments are made in Lightroom - which most other post processing software ignore!

using NX-D is supposed to preserve the colors/settings compared to other software.

Exactly - Nikon software is intended to display Nikon in-camera settings 

Someone I saw give a talk said they use NX-D from camera and then export to Lightroom for further adjustments.

"Save as" as a TIFF (a huge file) or jpeg before exporting from NX-D to other post-processing software "locks in" Nikon in-camera or NX-D sidecar settings as part of the final exported file.

If you use free to download Nikon NX-D you "see" your Nikon camera settings displayed - though ideally with a calibrated monitor.

You can make a wider range of overall and local adjustments in NX-D than with the long gone pay for Nikon NX-2.

For "free" NX-D is IMO very good - and can do most things many photographers want.

Generally with "pay for" post processing software you can do more than in NX-D - if you either want or need to do it.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 3,864

Verto wrote:

Because Nikon colors are flat and boring.  They need PP to get the images to look good.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 +17 more
Leonard Shepherd

john isaacs wrote:

Because Nikon colors are flat and boring. They need PP to get the images to look good.

Experienced photographers might take a different view

Nikon "Standard" is for when extensive post processing is intended to be part of the image production sequence. It might be described by those who want a "quick fix" solution as "flat and boring".

"Standard" is for those wanting a natural look - and seems much more popular as a when vivid colour is not the aim.

Portrait produces colours and tones that generally look good for portraiture, as does landscape for landscapes.

There is Auto for those who prefer to let the camera make decisions.

It is important to understand other than in Nikon software when a RAW file is first opened in other PP software - the photographers camera settings are usually ignored :-(.

A solution is to have other brand software presets to put back the colours etc that PP software systems discard when opening a Nikon/Canon/Sony RAW file.

If you set up a Nikon to your liking and open in Nikon software - far less PP is usually needed than when using other make PP software.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd

Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 5,623
Re: What "is" right vs what "feels" right

Varuas wrote:

I always end up destroying realistic color. I love the right (but technically wrong) colors.

This is why having pro-res RAW is going to be HUGE as it allows complete transformation of color (12bit) if necessary.

Have a link or any more info on what pro-res RAW is?  Something coming to Nikon?

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"I bet we'll find hints of extraterrestrial life before 2030" - Jamie Shreeve, Popular Science

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
NexLupus Contributing Member • Posts: 665

Scarlett_Trinity wrote:

DigitalFFUser wrote:

Verto wrote:

I actually like Nikon colors more than Canon. Canon has more reddish tint compared to Nikon where as Nikon colors are more neutral and accurate. Nikon softwares process Nikon colors the best.

Same! I've always found Nikon colors better than Canon. I felt like I had to do more in post with Canon than Nikon. But maybe that's just me.

The funny thing is that Michael the Maven has shot side by side Canon v.s Nikon and ten lets you guess which on is which, and most of the time, the consensus is that the Nikon shots look better.

NexLupus's gear list:NexLupus's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads