Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 FX equivalent

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
vwsjr
vwsjr Contributing Member • Posts: 507
Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 FX equivalent

The Sigma 18-35mm is still to this day the sharpest lens I have ever used on my Nikon DX cameras, and an absolute joy to shoot with. I'm likely to pick up the D750 replacement when that comes out (adding to my gear, not replacing my D500), and I'm just thinking about a lens for that camera that would be as fast and sharp as the Sigma. I'm posting this here, but I'm open to Nikon or Sigma lenses and would possibly consider others.

I've looked at DxO scores, reviews, etc., but I'm really seeking more subjective opinions from those who agree with me on how good the Sigma 18-5 is, and who have actually used something they consider comparable on FX. Looks like it's going to be some time before the D750 replacement is out, so I'm not in any rush, just looking for some options to consider at this point.

Thanks,
Vern

-- hide signature --
 vwsjr's gear list:vwsjr's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +12 more
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bjn70 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,992
there's not one

The short answer is that there's not one.

Well first of all there are very few zooms that are faster than f2.8 anyway although if you prescribe to the full equivalence thing then f2.8 on full frame sensor is very close to equivalent to f1.8 on APS-C sensor.  And that opens you up to various f2.8 zooms.  There are some relatively good ones but I'm not sure that there are any that get the sharpness accolades that the Sigma 18-35 gets.  Most people pick their favorite 24-70 whether one of the 2 latest Nikkors, or the Sigma/Tamron/Tokina.  None of these are perfect, they each have their weaknesses and their strong points.  I chose the Tamron 24-70 G1, its strong points being good IQ and low price.

Another option I've seen mentioned for this type of comparison is the Sigma 24-35 f2.0.  It is fast and supposedly has good IQ, but obviously has slightly shorter zoom range.

Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 6,484
Re: there's not one
-- hide signature --

Mark 24-35/2 is the one

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Nikon D500 +73 more
threw the lens
threw the lens Senior Member • Posts: 2,760
Re: Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 FX equivalent

This has been asked before

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63288977

18-35mm f1.8 lens on APS-C is like a 27-53mm f2.8 lens on FF.

Old 28-70 f2.8 lenses don't have quite the same quality as the 18-35.

The new 24-70 f2.8 lenses are more like it, and have stabilisation.

Personally I accept the wider range and stabilisation for the quality loss wide open in the corners especially.

If you yearn for more quality than a modern 24-70 I suggest you get a fast prime. They'll usually be two stops faster also.

You could waste your time lobbying for an FF 28-50 f2 but why not crack on and take photos now with some of the excellent lenses already available

Timotis77
Timotis77 Regular Member • Posts: 436

Have to agree, the Sigma 24-35 f/2 is about as close as you'll get. Honestly, I think its as sharp if not sharper than my Sigma 18-35mm.

Only downside is its short zoom range really, but like the Sigma 18-35 and 50-100 in form the are really each 3 primes lenses in one lens. Same with the 24-35 f/2 (24mm, 28mm and 35mm)

I brought mine a few years ago and vow never to sell it...... On my D810 its stella, sharp wide open (my go to landscape lens)

threw the lens

Timotis77 wrote:

Have to agree, the Sigma 24-35 f/2 is about as close as you'll get. Honestly, I think its as sharp if not sharper than my Sigma 18-35mm.

How is a 24-35mm close to the field of view you get from an 18-35 on APS-C of 27-53mm? Have you ever looked through a lens and seen the difference between 24 and 28mm settings on a zoom? It's quite a big difference.

Added to that, with the small APS-C sensor the f1.8 looks like f2.8 on full frame, a full stop away from f2.

In other words, 24-35 on FF has little in common with a Sigma 18-35 f1.8 , except for people who only see numbers but don't think.

If you don't understand all this, why not post a question about equivalence on Open Talk. They love equivalence there, there are people who will write 1000 words to this question.

Timotis77
Timotis77 Regular Member • Posts: 436

threw the lens wrote:

Timotis77 wrote:

How is a 24-35mm close to the field of view you get from an 18-35 on APS-C of 27-53mm? Have you ever looked through a lens and seen the difference between 24 and 28mm settings on a zoom? It's quite a big difference.

Added to that, with the small APS-C sensor the f1.8 looks like f2.8 on full frame, a full stop away from f2.

In other words, 24-35 on FF has little in common with a Sigma 18-35 f1.8 , except for people who only see numbers but don't think.

If you don't understand all this, why not post a question about equivalence on Open Talk. They love equivalence there, there are people who will write 1000 words to this question.

Some people think to much and dont see the numbers......

The OP was after a fast sharp lens, this is the Sigma 24-35mm f/2, no?????

As for this focal length not being close - To me 27-53 is close enough to 24-35mm.... For someone who only sees numbers aparently, id seem crazy,.....least I can think.....

bjn70 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,992

The OP was after a fast sharp lens, this is the Sigma 24-35mm f/2, no?????

As for this focal length not being close - To me 27-53 is close enough to 24-35mm.... For someone who only sees numbers aparently, id seem crazy,.....least I can think.....

I think the focal length range is close.  There is a difference between 24mm and 27mm, and also between 35mm and 53mm, which is why my first response was that there isn't anything totally equal in the full frame world.

If the OP was after a fast lens then going from f1.8 to f2.8 is a pretty big step backwards.  If I'm working indoors I don't want to lose over one full stop of light.  In my experience f2.8 is about a stop too slow for the lighting in most homes in order to achieve a usable shutter speed.  The 18-35 is supposed to be sharp wide open, most full frame zooms that stop at f2.8 are not really sharp at f2.8, they need to be stopped down a bit so now you lose 2 stops of light.

This relates to the old joke- "why did you buy a 24-35 f2?"  "because they don't make it in f1.4"

Depending on your circumstances and viewpoint, the 24-35 f2 might gain you some light, at the expense of zoom range.  It might be useful to the OP but it's still not a full replacement for the 18-35 f1.8.

threw the lens

Even though a Sigma 24-35 f2 isn't the equivalent of the APS-C 18-35, I would rather have a 24-35 f2 because the 24-35 does not have any near equivalent in the way the 18-35 does.
The APS-C 18-35 f1.8 has a near equivalent in the common 24-70 f2.8 on full frame, which is not as good on the corners but then again has stabilisation and a larger range.
When considering the 24-35mm f2 on the other hand, you have to remember that the Sigma 24mm f1.4 isn't such an exceptional lens. It only gets really good from f4-5.6. The 24-35 is not as good as the Sigma 28mm, but is competitive with the 35mm.

Serjojeee Senior Member • Posts: 1,335

Hi! I currently use Nikon D7200 and Sigma F1.8 zooms. After trying the Z50 I realized that I like the 20.7 sensor colors etc. better than 24 MP sensor of D7200 (it doesn't have that blue tint in deep shadows and IMO have less problems with less than ideal light). My Sigma 18-35 doesn't focus correctly with focus points from the far left and right (it back focuses a lot). Other than that it's perfectly fine after calibration with dock station. Do you have this problems with the most distant AF points? Have you tested it in this regard?

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,356

threw the lens wrote:

Timotis77 wrote:

You have been told already by many that you are wrong. F1.8 on crop camera is F1.8 and allows more than a full stop of shutter speed.

-- hide signature --

If I don't respond to your post after you responded to my post with NEGATIVE remarks that means you are on my Ignore list.
Photography Director for Whedonopolis.com

threw the lens wrote:

This has been asked before

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63288977

Wrong, Wrong and Wrong!!!! Stop spreading misinformation.

-- hide signature --

If I don't respond to your post after you responded to my post with NEGATIVE remarks that means you are on my Ignore list.

Serjojeee wrote:

Hi! I currently use Nikon D7200 and Sigma F1.8 zooms. After trying the Z50 I realized that I like the 20.7 sensor colors etc. better than 24 MP sensor of D7200 (it doesn't have that blue tint in deep shadows and IMO have less problems with less than ideal light). My Sigma 18-35 doesn't focus correctly with focus points from the far left and right (it back focuses a lot). Other than that it's perfectly fine after calibration with dock station. Do you have this problems with the most distant AF points? Have you tested it in this regard?

If your lens has problems with far right and left AF points but just right with the center AF point there is nothing you can do. Calibration on USB dock for outer points will make center point not focusing correctly. Is it Nikon fault? Is it Sigma fault? I don't know but knowing that Nikon is sabotaging Sigma with every new camera I think it is Nikon fault.

-- hide signature --

MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 5,489
Math

SushiEater wrote:

threw the lens wrote:

It's math, how is it wrong?

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +25 more
Re: Math

MediaArchivist wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

threw the lens wrote:

A F1.8 lens is always F1.8 lens regardless which camera it is attached to.

-- hide signature --

MediaArchivist

SushiEater wrote:

MediaArchivist wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

threw the lens wrote:

Not is, but is like. On a crop sensor, f/1.8 is like f/2.8 on a FF sensor. It has to do with both DoF and light gathering capability.

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +25 more

MediaArchivist wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

MediaArchivist wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

threw the lens wrote:

Not is, but is like. On a crop sensor, f/1.8 is like f/2.8 on a FF sensor. It has to do with both DoF and light gathering capability.

Wrong. F1.8 lens gathers over a stop more light than F2.8 thus allows higher shutter speed.

-- hide signature --

MediaArchivist

SushiEater wrote:

MediaArchivist wrote:

Wrong.

Wrong. I mean right. I mean "wrong" is wrong, thus in fact right.

F1.8 lens gathers over a stop more light than F2.8

All things being equal, of course. But... all things are not equal if the total area of the sensor gathering the light are not equal (or the focal length is not equal, or other things are not equal).

thus allows higher shutter speed.

[sigh] Hasn't this issue been thoroughly and pedantically presented, discussed, and agreed upon quite some time ago?

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

Serjojeee Senior Member • Posts: 1,335

SushiEater wrote:

Serjojeee wrote:

If your lens has problems with far right and left AF points but just right with the center AF point there is nothing you can do. Calibration on USB dock for outer points will make center point not focusing correctly. Is it Nikon fault? Is it Sigma fault? I don't know but knowing that Nikon is sabotaging Sigma with every new camera I think it is Nikon fault.

It's more complicated than that. It's a camera/lens combo, but I think that Sigma don't know the limitations of Nikon AF system. So they managed to create a great lens that is not fully functional with Nikon AF system. It can be mechanical shading of AF sensors or some aberrations is the cause of this issue. To be true I don't think it's that big of a deal cause I use manual focus selection almost 100% of a time so I just don't use faulty AF points. What I wanted to know - does the D500 with it's more sophisticated AF system works correctly with Sigma 18-35 in the corners of AF module.

MediaArchivist wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

MediaArchivist wrote:

Wrong.

Wrong. I mean right. I mean "wrong" is wrong, thus in fact right.

F1.8 lens gathers over a stop more light than F2.8

All things being equal, of course. But... all things are not equal if the total area of the sensor gathering the light are not equal (or the focal length is not equal, or other things are not equal).

Get a FF and put any F2.8 lens on it. Set the exposure like aperture at F2.8 ISO, shutter speed so the exposure is right. Now take crop camera and do the same thing with F1.8 lens on it. You will notice that at the same ISO, F1.8 your shutter speed will be 2x higher.

Case closed.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads