That Lumix G 9. Surprised at the little things it offers

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Gerry Siegel
Gerry Siegel Senior Member • Posts: 2,666
That Lumix G 9. Surprised at the little things it offers

How could one resist a full fledged top of the line micro four thirds camera at its recent selling price...I tried, but succumbed.

There is the appeal of some things that at first seemed so so and now seem brilliant.

- The grip allows secure handling and the index finger rests where it should.   The on/ off switch is almost a native thing I did not know I missed the location for. Now restored.

-the toggle near the eye finder is great for nailing focus area and goes back to center with a push.

- has HDMI and USB jacks of decent size. Mic input and headphones ( which I have only just begun to try,_easy to get rubber flaps off the compartment.

- quiet , to me quiet, mechanical shutter and I have yet to use the electronic one but I will.

- little inserts in the strap lugs for wear resistance.  Not new, but a nice touch anyway.

- very bright finder, and yes, some keystone effect which with larger eye cup is less noticeable and almost insignificant.

- Each menu item can call up a window that helps remind one of what that function does...the wonders of chip advancement.

- unlike the GX models I own my thumb does not unwittingly engage the DISP button. The larger than usual size helps...though it is not a light camera with lens attached.

Cons, sure we have to hunt to seek --.  Like other G 9 recent buyers I have to get used to the hair trigger shutter half stop.   I say it is a Best Buy for someone who likes to play around with multiple functions.

Did I miss any other biggies?.  Oh and it takes nice pictures. Good color JPEGs

Gerry Siegel's gear list:Gerry Siegel's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Panasonic ZS100 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +6 more
Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,015
Re: That Lumix G 9. Surprised at the little things it offers

Hi Gerry:

Yes it is a gem of a camera and one of the best I have ever owned.

Dale

Gerry Siegel wrote:

How could one resist a full fledged top of the line micro four thirds camera at its recent selling price...I tried, but succumbed.

There is the appeal of some things that at first seemed so so and now seem brilliant.

- The grip allows secure handling and the index finger rests where it should. The on/ off switch is almost a native thing I did not know I missed the location for. Now restored.

-the toggle near the eye finder is great for nailing focus area and goes back to center with a push.

- has HDMI and USB jacks of decent size. Mic input and headphones ( which I have only just begun to try,_easy to get rubber flaps off the compartment.

- quiet , to me quiet, mechanical shutter and I have yet to use the electronic one but I will.

- little inserts in the strap lugs for wear resistance. Not new, but a nice touch anyway.

- very bright finder, and yes, some keystone effect which with larger eye cup is less noticeable and almost insignificant.

- Each menu item can call up a window that helps remind one of what that function does...the wonders of chip advancement.

- unlike the GX models I own my thumb does not unwittingly engage the DISP button. The larger than usual size helps...though it is not a light camera with lens attached.

Cons, sure we have to hunt to seek --. Like other G 9 recent buyers I have to get used to the hair trigger shutter half stop. I say it is a Best Buy for someone who likes to play around with multiple functions.

Did I miss any other biggies?. Oh and it takes nice pictures. Good color JPEGs

Dale108's gear list:Dale108's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
rashid7
rashid7 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,341

i think the "hair trigger" will grow on you!

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

Jan Chelminski
Jan Chelminski Senior Member • Posts: 1,821
Re: A severe case of jealousy?

Why do you think I was so relieved when the 1X was announced?

That damn camera severly disrupted my 1mk2 bliss! 😀

The 1X effectively solved whatever issues that had created, but just when I think its safe, out comes the PL 10-25mm f/1.7! 😅

Yeah, Panasonic bring it, for real. Glad you are enjoying that camera!

Rgds,

Jan

Jan Chelminski's gear list:Jan Chelminski's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus 25mm F1.2 Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD +4 more
Ray Maines
Ray Maines Veteran Member • Posts: 4,182

Gerry Siegel wrote:

I also have a GX85 and love the thing, but the DISP button is in the worst possible place. The On-Off switch is another piece of work. The GX85 is is a wonderful camera, but the ergonomics really kind of suck. I hate to say this right out loud, but the Sony a6x00 cameras feel better in the hand.

-- hide signature --

I own a camera, I don't belong to a tribe.
Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Rokinon 8mm F2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye Sony E 20mm F2.8 +4 more
Felice62 Senior Member • Posts: 2,480

Ray Maines wrote:

Gerry Siegel wrote:

I also have a GX85 and love the thing, but the DISP button is in the worst possible place. The On-Off switch is another piece of work. The GX85 is is a wonderful camera, but the ergonomics really kind of suck. I hate to say this right out loud, but the Sony a6x00 cameras feel better in the hand.

Yes. The gx80 is a little gem awkwardly conceived.

Re G9 I am so much in love with it that I purchased a second body during the black Friday week.

Enjoy it!

-- hide signature --

If only closed minds came with closed mouths..

Felice62's gear list:Felice62's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus E-M5 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 +28 more
Wildalaskaken
Wildalaskaken Contributing Member • Posts: 934

Try the highlight metering and turn on focus peaking.

Wildalaskaken's gear list:Wildalaskaken's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Panasonic 45-200mm F4-5.6 II Panasonic Leica DG 50-200mm F2.8-4 +1 more
Bert v B
Bert v B Regular Member • Posts: 124

A few other gems I learned to appreciate so much are:

- 3 custom settings! Takes some time to understand the value, but now I do...

- Focus magnification [under C3 setting with me now :-]

- Eye sensor

- Custom menu

-- hide signature --

- Bert

Bert v B's gear list:Bert v B's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +3 more
Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,820

Funny that none of the 6 posts mention one of the thing that I like so much that I don t think I would buy another ILC camera which did not have it

the TOP LCD is great and allows you to check several important parameters  without having to use the LCD and pressing the display button

Once I got it , I remember why I missed something when I went to my  Olympus E3 to m4/3

Harold

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @ledaylightstudio.
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
IG :thedemandingtraveler

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more
sbu Regular Member • Posts: 251

Harold66 wrote:

Funny that none of the 6 posts mention one of the thing that I like so much that I don t think I would buy another ILC camera which did not have it

the TOP LCD is great and allows you to check several important parameters without having to use the LCD and pressing the display button

Once I got it , I remember why I missed something when I went to my Olympus E3 to m4/3

Harold

I absolutely agree with this. Before I purchased my g9  I noticed many commenters made jokes about the top LCD. But I find I use it all the time, making iso/aperture/shutter speed adjustments before lifting the camera to the eye.

sbu's gear list:sbu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads