Anyone received their Peak Design Tripod

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
timewaster Regular Member • Posts: 387
Re: Anyone received their Peak Design Tripod

MikeMiranda wrote:

timewaster wrote:

anybody know what the purpose of those 2 pegs on top of the tripod head?

they can be removed to mount an L-bracket. but what are they for?

yes you can use an L bracket on the tripod & yes those 2 pegs can be removed I didn't have to remove those pegs to use my RRS L bracket

if you dont remove them what purpose do they serve?

liggy
liggy Regular Member • Posts: 481

timewaster wrote:

MikeMiranda wrote:

timewaster wrote:

anybody know what the purpose of those 2 pegs on top of the tripod head?

they can be removed to mount an L-bracket. but what are they for?

yes you can use an L bracket on the tripod & yes those 2 pegs can be removed I didn't have to remove those pegs to use my RRS L bracket

if you dont remove them what purpose do they serve?

To keep the Peak Arca plate from sliding off, I think.  Had to remove them to use the Peipro L grip for my GFX50R.

No accessories, CF model.  PacNW.  Arrived a couple days ago.  
Like others had mentioned- the original estimate from a Fedex was way off.

liggy's gear list:liggy's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm XQ1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +26 more
Selene Senior Member • Posts: 1,308

I am in LA. I got mine on the 12th of Dec., which is when they initially said it would ship. It seems ok--very compact though heavier than I thought it would be.  The head also seems a bit flimsy. Anyone else have any thoughts on it???  I haven't really had a chance to use it.

shakenmartini Regular Member • Posts: 348

Selene wrote:

I am in LA. I got mine on the 12th of Dec., which is when they initially said it would ship. It seems ok--very compact though heavier than I thought it would be. The head also seems a bit flimsy. Anyone else have any thoughts on it??? I haven't really had a chance to use it.

I like mine quite a bit. The head is surprisingly stable on mine. You do have to clip the camera in and then twist the lock for full stability.

shakenmartini's gear list:shakenmartini's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T2 +15 more
zurubi Regular Member • Posts: 247

shakenmartini wrote:

Selene wrote:

I am in LA. I got mine on the 12th of Dec., which is when they initially said it would ship. It seems ok--very compact though heavier than I thought it would be. The head also seems a bit flimsy. Anyone else have any thoughts on it??? I haven't really had a chance to use it.

I like mine quite a bit. The head is surprisingly stable on mine. You do have to clip the camera in and then twist the lock for full stability.

Second this. It is very stable for a Fuji XT3 and a long lens.

zurubi's gear list:zurubi's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +4 more
nextlife
nextlife Regular Member • Posts: 136

Ken Gosden wrote:

shakenmartini wrote:

TravelMore wrote:

shakenmartini wrote:

TravelMore wrote:

shakenmartini wrote:

TravelMore wrote:

If so, was wondering your geographic location.

Mine is supposed to arrive (via PD and FedEx) Thursday 12/19. It shipped out of Hong Kong on 12/18 (Hong Kong local time) after I received a shipping label last Friday.

It looks like PD is shipping mine FedEx International Priority.

I did not order any accessories, and I ordered my tripod late evening on the last day of the Kickstarter campaign, but filled out the order survey right after I received it.

Oooh, that gives me hope! I ordered last day but filled out the survey right away. Bummer that I ordered accessories though. Another layer of processing that will probably slow it down.

What's your geographical location?

USA Midwest. My understanding is that accessories will take longer but it appears they are shipping straight out of Hong Kong rather than to a US distribution point. If it shows up tomorrow I’ll be shocked as I didn’t expect to see it until January based on their last email.

I hope it lives up to expectation as a space saving tripod means it will come with me more often.

Accessories or tripods straight out of HK?

The tripods. I have no idea about accessories other than it may slow orders.

I got an email yesterday saying the tripod and accessories were both scheduled to arrive today from Hong Kong. FedEx still shows they have only received the shipping info. I rather doubted it could leave Hong Kong Tuesday and arrive this morning as the embark link said.

So is the shipping notice only coming from FedEx or are folks getting a notice from Peak Design?

nextlife's gear list:nextlife's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR +8 more
Jvlahakis
Jvlahakis Contributing Member • Posts: 521

Received mine two weeks ago. I’m in NJ. Really like it.

Jvlahakis's gear list:Jvlahakis's gear list
Leica M-Monochrom Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Fujifilm GFX 100 Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +14 more
shakenmartini Regular Member • Posts: 348

nextlife wrote:

Ken Gosden wrote:

shakenmartini wrote:

TravelMore wrote:

shakenmartini wrote:

TravelMore wrote:

shakenmartini wrote:

TravelMore wrote:

Mine is supposed to arrive (via PD and FedEx) Thursday 12/19. It shipped out of Hong Kong on 12/18 (Hong Kong local time) after I received a shipping label last Friday.

I did not order any accessories, and I ordered my tripod late evening on the last day of the Kickstarter campaign, but filled out the order survey right after I received it.

Oooh, that gives me hope! I ordered last day but filled out the survey right away. Bummer that I ordered accessories though. Another layer of processing that will probably slow it down.

USA Midwest. My understanding is that accessories will take longer but it appears they are shipping straight out of Hong Kong rather than to a US distribution point. If it shows up tomorrow I’ll be shocked as I didn’t expect to see it until January based on their last email.

I hope it lives up to expectation as a space saving tripod means it will come with me more often.

I got an email yesterday saying the tripod and accessories were both scheduled to arrive today from Hong Kong. FedEx still shows they have only received the shipping info. I rather doubted it could leave Hong Kong Tuesday and arrive this morning as the embark link said.

So is the shipping notice only coming from FedEx or are folks getting a notice from Peak Design?

I received both from Peak Design and FedEx. I have my address registered with FedEx, so I don’t know if this matters. Either way, I was notified when the label was created, but it actually shipped several days later.

shakenmartini's gear list:shakenmartini's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T2 +15 more
nextlife
nextlife Regular Member • Posts: 136

shakenmartini wrote:

nextlife wrote:

Ken Gosden wrote:

shakenmartini wrote:

TravelMore wrote:

shakenmartini wrote:

TravelMore wrote:

shakenmartini wrote:

TravelMore wrote:

I received both from Peak Design and FedEx. I have my address registered with FedEx, so I don’t know if this matters. Either way, I was notified when the label was created, but it actually shipped several days later.

Thanks!

nextlife's gear list:nextlife's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR +8 more
Ken Gosden Senior Member • Posts: 2,805

nextlife wrote:

shakenmartini wrote:

nextlife wrote:

Ken Gosden wrote:

shakenmartini wrote:

TravelMore wrote:

shakenmartini wrote:

TravelMore wrote:

shakenmartini wrote:

TravelMore wrote:

Thanks!

I sure wish that PD had stated that a signature would be required.  I was able to convince the FedEx guy to leave it via my Ring doorbell and remote garage door system.

I ordered the universal head adapter, but that is not really what I needed. I'm a Manfrotto RC2 user and really only needed to attach a Manfrotto 323 RC2 rapid connect adapter to the ArcaSwiss plate.  That let's me use the compact ball head with my RC2 plates.  Wish that PD included a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter bushing.

Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +20 more
TravelMore
OP TravelMore Regular Member • Posts: 272

Shipping notice at last:

Great news, your Peak Design order is on the way!

Your order was shipped via FedEx Home Delivery, and is estimated to arrive December 30, 2019 - January 3, 2020.

Friday , 12/27/2019 2:00 am
Shipment information sent to FedExPackage loaded into trailer by shipper, awaiting pickup

Great news?  I guess. Kind of a downer not getting it by Xmas.  I know they didn't promote that but I had hopes.  I guess I'm just not into the "kickstarter" thing too much.

-- hide signature --

~TM

TravelMore's gear list:TravelMore's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +2 more
Wezre Regular Member • Posts: 393

I didn't purchase mine until recently, but it's good to see that the Kickstarter backers are getting theirs now.  Gives me hope that I'll get mine by early-mid March before my vacation.

Wezre's gear list:Wezre's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
TravelMore

Wezre wrote:

I didn't purchase mine until recently, but it's good to see that the Kickstarter backers are getting theirs now. Gives me hope that I'll get mine by early-mid March before my vacation.

I purchased literally hours before kickstart ended. 2. One for me, one for my son.

-- hide signature --

~TM

Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +2 more
rhtK7 Regular Member • Posts: 262

I received mine about two weeks ago. It was sent from Hong Kong, and as indicated in the tracking, I did receive it the next day after shipment, by 10:30 AM. Pretty impressive for free shipping.

Even more impressive is the packaging, carrying bag (if that's the correct term), and the tripod itself. It came in a nice, snug fitting zippered (waterproof) case/bag, which was inside a neat, ridgid, plastic container with removable end cap, providing addition protection if desired. Although it served as a shipping container (when wrapped with brown paper), it can be used by the owner either with, or without the carrying case/bag. The tripod itself is simply amazing. I'm a retired mechanical engineer, and I love when things are well designed, and clearly show that whoever designed something actually tried using it.

I already had a pretty good tripod, a Gitzo Series 2, with Really Right Stuff ballhead, but the Peak Design Tripod is amazing by comparison. Very compact, noticeably shorter, lighter, and as ridged as the Gitzo. In addition, the two allen wrenches which might be needed are secured to the tripod for safe keeping. The ball head is very significantly more compact, which probably saves 3 or 4 inches in height (or length depending on how you look at it).

The ONLY thing missing in its capabilities is the ability to pan. However, I have found that I can, with the ballhead slightly loosened, pan reasonably successfully.

All things considered, the Gitzo will be gathering dust in the future.

Ron

PS: I purchased the carbon fiber version. It's a thing of beauty!

PSS:  I live in Erie, Pennsylvania, USA

rhtK7's gear list:rhtK7's gear list
Canon G3 X Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Nikon Coolpix P900 FinePix S1 +5 more

zurubi wrote:

shakenmartini wrote:

Selene wrote:

Second this. It is very stable for a Fuji XT3 and a long lens.

I just love mine (have had for about 2 weeks), and even when using with my Nikon P1000 (big and heavy) I find it very stable.  For the P1000, I have about a 4 inch long arca swiss plate, and removal of the two small screws on the top of the tripod's head allows the use of this long plate.  On a P1000, when the lens is extended, the center of gravity is way out there.  With the long plate and screws removed I can shift the camera rearward to achieve a balance point.

Canon G3 X Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Nikon Coolpix P900 FinePix S1 +5 more

OK, I encountered the 1st snafu. The clamps works well with my L-bracket, but it doesn't work at all with a Sunaway foot that I bought for my Fuji 100-400mm lens. although everything says Arca-swiss compatible, there is  minute difference in width and that's enough for the clamp on the peak design head to fail opening enough.....

So if I go back to the original foot and one of the other plates I have then it works.

Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +4 more
Wezre Regular Member • Posts: 393

Thanks for posting your initial thoughts. I’m a (relatively young) engineer and really like the features and design that went into this tripod. I went for the carbon version in hopes that I won’t have to buy another tripod for a long time.

Wezre's gear list:Wezre's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R

zurubi wrote:

OK, I encountered the 1st snafu. The clamps works well with my L-bracket, but it doesn't work at all with a Sunaway foot that I bought for my Fuji 100-400mm lens. although everything says Arca-swiss compatible, there is minute difference in width and that's enough for the clamp on the peak design head to fail opening enough.....

So if I go back to the original foot and one of the other plates I have then it works.

Are you sure the clamp on the tripod head is fully unlocked?  The first time I tried my P1000 with an arca swiss bracket, I couldn't get it to fit.  Then I discovered that the rotating ring that locks/unlocks the head was not fully unlocked.  Unlocked fully, problem resolved, for me at least.

Ron

rhtK7 wrote:

zurubi wrote:

OK, I encountered the 1st snafu. The clamps works well with my L-bracket, but it doesn't work at all with a Sunaway foot that I bought for my Fuji 100-400mm lens. although everything says Arca-swiss compatible, there is minute difference in width and that's enough for the clamp on the peak design head to fail opening enough.....

Are you sure the clamp on the tripod head is fully unlocked? The first time I tried my P1000 with an arca swiss bracket, I couldn't get it to fit. Then I discovered that the rotating ring that locks/unlocks the head was not fully unlocked. Unlocked fully, problem resolved, for me at least.

Ron

OK, I took a second look. Peak design has no fault. Turns out that I hadn't paid attention to 1 small screw at the bottom of the foot (they are used to prevent sliding) it  added height to  the foot so the clamp couldn't close.

Removed the screw and everything is fine now.

TravelMore

TravelMore wrote:

Shipping notice at last:

Great news, your Peak Design order is on the way!

Your order was shipped via FedEx Home Delivery, and is estimated to arrive December 30, 2019 - January 3, 2020.

Friday , 12/27/2019 2:00 am
Shipment information sent to FedExPackage loaded into trailer by shipper, awaiting pickup

Great news? I guess. Kind of a downer not getting it by Xmas. I know they didn't promote that but I had hopes. I guess I'm just not into the "kickstarter" thing too much.

The good news?  It arrived today!  The bad news?  several of the accessories are not in the package and the package arrived looking like this.

Tape broken in 2 places on top, one on bottom.  One lousy, stinking piece of tape supposed to hold the top closed, one to hold the bottom closed.

-- hide signature --

~TM

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads