Galaxy A10 phone photo vs a cheap pocket camera photo?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Jack the Sparrow New Member • Posts: 11
Galaxy A10 phone photo vs a cheap pocket camera photo?

Does a cheap pocket camera such as a lowest end Canon or a Fujifilm have a noticeable difference in photo quality compared to a Samsung Galaxy A10 or any other low end smart phone camera? Or are they at the same level now?

I need a camera to take some photos for my blog, and I don't have a huge budget, so I'm trying to get the best out of the little bit of money I can scrape together. Any help highly appreciated. Thank you.

Nikon Coolpix A10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
onlyfreeman
onlyfreeman Senior Member • Posts: 1,994
Re: Galaxy A10 phone photo vs a cheap pocket camera photo?

Easier if you put some kind of number on your budget.

If you can stretch your budget a tiny bit more, you could get the a20e or similar, perhaps even some phones from other brands that can do a better job.

As for cheap compact cameras vs cheap phones, it will depend, but generally a cheap camera will get you much better image quality, especially if you aren't afraid of buying used.

onlyfreeman's gear list:onlyfreeman's gear list
Sony a7 II Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 FastStone Photo Resizer +1 more
sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 3,633

Jack the Sparrow wrote:

Does a cheap pocket camera such as a lowest end Canon or a Fujifilm have a noticeable difference in photo quality compared to a Samsung Galaxy A10 or any other low end smart phone camera? Or are they at the same level now?

I need a camera to take some photos for my blog, and I don't have a huge budget, so I'm trying to get the best out of the little bit of money I can scrape together. Any help highly appreciated. Thank you.

I'd honestly take the cheap Canon or Fuji over a smartphone.  If you're shooting in good light and can keep the ISOs low probably not as much, but higher ISO (over ISO 800 let's say) is where you might see a difference.  Keep in mind that some of the Canon cameras (like the G9X and others) use a 1" sensor vs. the 1/2.,3" sensor used in many smartphones so high ISO performance should be  a little better on the 1" sensors.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-T30 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +16 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 15,157

Jack the Sparrow wrote:

Depending on the specific products and the shooting conditions, photo quality can go either way. In certain special situations, like very low light shooting, some of the better phones or tablets could have an advantage. In other situations, like zooming in for distant subjects, the better pocket cameras could be preferable.

It's my impression that blogging usually doesn't require anything near the best image quality available, so you could get satisfactory results with whatever you prefer. However, you might consider whether or not any of these things matter to you: an eye-level viewfinder, an articulating LCD, a bounceable Xenon flash, a real optical zoom, real physical controls, or maybe even just a built-in tripod socket and sensible remote control capability. Some or all can be had in a pocket camera, but not likely in a tablet or phone.

digitallollygag Senior Member • Posts: 1,166

I briefly owned a Canon ELPH 350HS camera. Image quality was garbage even at ISO80. Unless you need zoom capability you might be happier with the A10 phone.

digitallollygag's gear list:digitallollygag's gear list
Nikon Coolpix B500 Sony SLT-A65 Pentax K-x Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +3 more
OP Jack the Sparrow New Member • Posts: 11

Thanks everyone. My main purpose is to take scenes (since my blog is about travelling), towns, places, people etc., i.e.things which are not far away or moving fast, generally, as you may know. e.g. a waterfall, a street, a group of people.

I took some photos with a friend's A10 and they seem ok but not very good either. I can post one photo if you need, to compare with any cheap camera pics you may have. Thanks for you help.

Taken with an A10. No edits whatsoever.

Jack the Sparrow wrote:

Thanks everyone. My main purpose is to take scenes (since my blog is about travelling), towns, places, people etc., i.e.things which are not far away or moving fast, generally, as you may know. e.g. a waterfall, a street, a group of people.

I took some photos with a friend's A10 and they seem ok but not very good either. I can post one photo if you need, to compare with any cheap camera pics you may have. Thanks for you help.

Looks nice.

But what if you wanted to shoot only the waterfall from that same position? Just cropping that image would give you this result:

I guarantee most pocket cameras with an optical zoom would beat that (and so would some smartphones with more lens options). Again, it's about what you end up wanting or needing to capture ... and it's also about the 'human interface' of a camera vs. a phone or a tablet. It just comes down to your personal requirements and preferences.

sybersitizen wrote:

Jack the Sparrow wrote:

[Photo Deleted to save space ]

Looks nice.

But what if you wanted to shoot only the waterfall from that same position? Just cropping that image would give you this result: [ Photo Deleted to save space ]

I guarantee most pocket cameras with an optical zoom would beat that.

I agree. But I don't think I will need to zoom (I actually took the shot with digital zoom and it looked really bad), and in case I would need it I will have to go closer to the object if possible.

Generally, do you think a 100 USD camera could do a better job at taking the same scene? If yes, what are the cameras you would recommend? Thanks a lot for taking time to answer.

Randy6414 Regular Member • Posts: 131

A pocket camera is likely to give you advantages in certain areas: sensor size, optical zoom, physical controls, faster frame rate, shallower depth of field, tripod socket, and maybe a view finder.

A phone will give you advantages in other areas: it's always with you, fits in a pants pocket instead of a jacket pocket, greater depth of field, easier to upload photos/videos to social media.

I have a full frame camera, a Sony RX100ii, and a smartphone.  When the best possible photos are the priority, I use the full frame.  When good photos are important, but size/weight/convenience are a factor (such as when travelling light or attending an event where "pro" cameras are not allowed, I carry the RX100ii in a small case.  When photos are not a priority and I don't have a camera with me, I pull out the smartphone for photos if needed.

The way I look at it, the smartphone can do about 80% of what the 1" sensor RX100ii can do.  And the RX100ii can do about 80% of what the full frame camera can do.   If I need the best possible image, I've got to deal with the weight, size, and inconvenience of carrying a full frame camera (and a bag full of related gear).  For other situations, the pocket camera and smart phone suffice.

Randy

Randy6414's gear list:Randy6414's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 50mm F1.4
onlyfreeman
onlyfreeman Senior Member • Posts: 1,994

Jack the Sparrow wrote:

Generally, do you think a 100 USD camera could do a better job at taking the same scene? If yes, what are the cameras you would recommend? Thanks a lot for taking time to answer.

If zoom is not a concern then no, most likely not, especially new. This is the reason why lower end compact camera sales have been obliterated.

Even the worst compact cameras cost about $100 new, and there is nothing good about the image quality besides some zoom capability.

If you look at the used market, you may find some more premium cameras around the $100 point.

onlyfreeman's gear list:onlyfreeman's gear list
Sony a7 II Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 FastStone Photo Resizer +1 more

Jack the Sparrow wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Jack the Sparrow wrote:

[Photo Deleted to save space ]

Looks nice.

But what if you wanted to shoot only the waterfall from that same position? Just cropping that image would give you this result: [ Photo Deleted to save space ]

I guarantee most pocket cameras with an optical zoom would beat that.

I agree. But I don't think I will need to zoom (I actually took the shot with digital zoom and it looked really bad), and in case I would need it I will have to go closer to the object if possible.

Generally, do you think a 100 USD camera could do a better job at taking the same scene?

No, I don't think a $100 camera could produce a significantly better rendition of that same well-lit wide-angle scene ... and I don't think you even need better results than that for your blog.

As I said, the performance differences between dedicated cameras and multifunction devices like smartphones and tables only become important when you move into other situations.

John Fantastic Forum Member • Posts: 53

My choice would be a smartphone. Easier to carry , easier to share and upload and maybe even better quality than a point and shoot camera if the final image would be uploaded in a blog.

chipmaster
chipmaster Veteran Member • Posts: 3,069

Jack the Sparrow wrote:

I need a camera to take some photos for my blog, and I don't have a huge budget, so I'm trying to get the best out of the little bit of money I can scrape together. Any help highly appreciated. Thank you.% of

Ah every tool is a compromise how much do you value convenience, speed, budget, size/portability?

A modern cellphone under the right conditions can produce stunning pictures for blog medium if it is only going to be viewed on a laptop or phone.  If you need reach to bring distant objects close very low light then perhaps a custom camera with all the associated burden of workflow, size, lens, budget etc. etc. over the smartphone.   Take the iPhone11 you got multiple lens ( limited ), advance tools built in and likely good enough for majority if not all of your minimum needs.

-- hide signature --

" Today's Pictures Are Tomorrow's Memories "

chipmaster's gear list:chipmaster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D5 Nikon D810 Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 +22 more

Looks like the solution is the smart phone. The top range I can go is the Galaxy A10 lol. iPhone is far too rich for my blood. I will upload some photos here when I get a device.

Jack the Sparrow wrote:

Looks like the solution is the smart phone. The top range I can go is the Galaxy A10 lol. iPhone is far too rich for my blood. I will upload some photos here when I get a device.

I don’t know if you live in the States, but the smartphone world is much bigger than just iPhone and Samsung. There are other compelling brands to consider in Android. Most Americans have only heard of iPhone and Samsung because most Americans don’t think much outside the box, so to speak. Living in a world with just limiting your options to iPhone and Samsung is like limiting your world to just Ford and Chevy: pretty boring.

Nikon Coolpix B500 Sony SLT-A65 Pentax K-x Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +3 more
PhotoFactor Veteran Member • Posts: 3,334

Jack the Sparrow wrote:

If you are in the US, the Pixel 3a has a near top of the line camera, and the phone is sometimes on sale for <$300.

PhotoFactor's gear list:PhotoFactor's gear list
Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony a6000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +5 more

PhotoFactor wrote:

Jack the Sparrow wrote:

If you are in the US, the Pixel 3a has a near top of the line camera, and the phone is sometimes on sale for <$300.

Yep, the Pixel 3a is probably a much better choice for the money than the A10.

I am from Sri Lanka, a small island nation in the Indian ocean. (The photo I posted is of the St. Claire waterfall in Thalawakelle :)) Here we have many other brands too, such as Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, Nokia, Huawei etc. I was thinking of buying an A10 as it has an agent here while many other brands do not have such authorized agents although the phones are sold in original packaging and are genuine.

Apple, Samsung, and Huawei have authorized agents here in my country. I cannot afford to spend 300 USD at this time. I can scrape together 100 up to 130 maximum but not more than that. (And that's why I'm looking for warranty in case something goes wrong lol)

I must check out the camera quality of Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 which looks like a great option. https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_8-9814.php

Thanks a lot everyone for taking time to answer. Really appreciate it.

Gato Amarillo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,433

Jack the Sparrow wrote:

I think you're on the right track. A $100 camera may not even match the quality of a current model phone. And I presume you need a phone regardless, so you have to carry two devices and deal with keeping up the charge on two batteries.

You can edit photos in the phone and do direct uploads, while with the camera you need to get to a computer for editing. If you want to upload on location or in the moment with a camera you have to transfer photos to a phone - at best a nuisance and with some setups a real pain.

I think you'll be good with the phone. Picture content is much more important than technical quality, especially since the majority of your audience is probably viewing the blog on a phone. Getting to interesting places and delivering photos with compelling content is the key to success.

Gato

PhotoFactor Veteran Member • Posts: 3,334

Jack the Sparrow wrote:

I am from Sri Lanka, a small island nation in the Indian ocean. (The photo I posted is of the St. Claire waterfall in Thalawakelle :)) Here we have many other brands too, such as Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, Nokia, Huawei etc. I was thinking of buying an A10 as it has an agent here while many other brands do not have such authorized agents although the phones are sold in original packaging and are genuine.

Apple, Samsung, and Huawei have authorized agents here in my country. I cannot afford to spend 300 USD at this time. I can scrape together 100 up to 130 maximum but not more than that. (And that's why I'm looking for warranty in case something goes wrong lol)

I must check out the camera quality of Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 which looks like a great option. https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_8-9814.php

Thanks a lot everyone for taking time to answer. Really appreciate it.

Thanks for the context Jack, and good luck.

PhotoFactor's gear list:PhotoFactor's gear list
Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony a6000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads