I accidentally did something that messed up this image

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Alex Ethridge
Alex Ethridge Veteran Member • Posts: 4,826
I accidentally did something that messed up this image

The camera was an FZ300.  The PP software in Adobe Photoshop Elements 2019 and I was working with the RAW image.

I accidentally hit/did something with my shaky hands and all of a sudden things changed and everything I have tried only makes it another kind of bad.  This is the way the RAW looks in PSE 2019:

How do I get back to the original, unmodified image -- using RAW.

I always shoot RAW plus JPG and this is the way the JPG that the camera created looks:

Alex Ethridge's gear list:Alex Ethridge's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic GH5 Sony a7 III Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +10 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 19,803
Re: I accidentally did something that messed up this image

You activated your highlight alert. Right click on the histogram and uncheck clipping.

Alex Ethridge wrote:

The camera was an FZ300. The PP software in Adobe Photoshop Elements 2019 and I was working with the RAW image.

I accidentally hit/did something with my shaky hands and all of a sudden things changed and everything I have tried only makes it another kind of bad. This is the way the RAW looks in PSE 2019:

I always shoot RAW plus JPG and this is the way the JPG that the camera created looks:

-- hide signature --

I feel even more confident that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +8 more
Alex Ethridge
OP Alex Ethridge Veteran Member • Posts: 4,826

Zeee wrote:

You activated your highlight alert. Right click on the histogram and uncheck clipping.

Thanks.  Everything is simple (when you know how).

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic GH5 Sony a7 III Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +10 more
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 19,803

Alex Ethridge wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Thanks. Everything is simple (when you know how).

It was what we used to say in manufacturing at work. The solution is always simple. Finding it is the hard part.

-- hide signature --

I feel even more confident that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +8 more
Alex Ethridge

Zeee wrote:

It was what we used to say in manufacturing at work. The solution is always simple. Finding it is the hard part.

Yup.

About forty years ago someone brought his car into my friend Jerry's shop to troubleshoot why his tail light fuse kept blowing.  Jerry worked on it for three hours before pinpointing where the short was.  The man walked in about the time Jerry was wrapping the raw spot on the wire with tape and was outraged that Jerry charged him for two hours labor for "a piece of tape" (one of the hours spent shooting the bull with me).

David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 1,017

Alex Ethridge wrote:

One option is to delete the sidecar file for the raw file which stores all edit settings you made.

I also normally keep the original raw files on my camera's SD card until I finish post processing and have backed up the edited images.

David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
Alex Ethridge

David1961 wrote:

Alex Ethridge wrote:

One option is to delete the sidecar file for the raw file which stores all edit settings you made.

I deleted those files and it made no difference in this case.

I also normally keep the original raw files on my camera's SD card until I finish post processing and have backed up the edited images.

David1961

Don't know what is going on in your case then.

Deleting the sidecar files has always removed the edits I made to raw files when I accidentally messed them up.

Canon EOS 90D
Alex Ethridge

David1961 wrote:

Don't know what is going on in your case then.

Deleting the sidecar files has always removed the edits I made to raw files when I accidentally messed them up.

That's true but this was not an edit. It was a setting in PSE that applied to that file only. See the solution Zeee posted.  Anyway, the problem is solved.

David1961

I was going by the fact that in your op you had the image opened in a raw converter and so deleting the sidecar files returns you to the original unedited raw image.

Canon EOS 90D
Alex Ethridge

David1961 wrote:

I was going by the fact that in your op you had the image opened in a raw converter and so deleting the sidecar files returns you to the original unedited raw image.

Sidecar stores edit notes.  This was not an edit.

David1961

I was answering your specific question.

If it is of no help to you then no problem and I have no issue with that.

I know my reply has been of help to someone else and potentially it could also be to anyone coming across this thread in the future.

Canon EOS 90D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads