180 ED Nikkor vs modern 70-200 vs 135 Sigma ART?

Started Dec 11, 2019 | Discussions
Tomx72 Senior Member • Posts: 1,540
180 ED Nikkor vs modern 70-200 vs 135 Sigma ART?

I am considering a 100-200mm lens to boost my range while staying portable with the small ioptron tracker/travel tripod combo.

Any particular advantages of the modern lenses against the venerable 2.8/180 for astro (AIs or AFD)? It is consoderably lighter and far cheaper. Of course not f1.8 as the Sigma, but offers a very similar physical aperture. Question is how coma and vignetting are controlled wide open?

 Tomx72's gear list:Tomx72's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon Z6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
BlackgumNate Contributing Member • Posts: 634
Re: 180 ED Nikkor vs modern 70-200 vs 135 Sigma ART?
1

There's no comparison between the Nikon 180 and the Sigma 135, the Sigma is far superior, I've always found the nikkor to be over touted. I used to own the 180mm but it's fringing is annoying and from what I remember wasn't much usable until f/3.2 or 4. The sigma is near perfect at f/2.

I'd have to check some older images to see how the 180 rendered stars (in corners etc.) but there's nothing I miss about that lens for astro.

nate

OP Tomx72 Senior Member • Posts: 1,540
Re: 180 ED Nikkor vs modern 70-200 vs 135 Sigma ART?

Thank you, that was a deal-saving input:) Meantime I keep finding cloudynights references where people regularly used the nikkor stopped down to f/4 - no thanks, I need something decent at 2.8, my guiding skills/equipment are not ready for 5min+ subs...

Another interesting old piece of glass: the 1990 model Sigma 2.8/180, read somewhere that it is better than the nikkor.

BlackgumNate wrote:

There's no comparison between the Nikon 180 and the Sigma 135, the Sigma is far superior, I've always found the nikkor to be over touted. I used to own the 180mm but it's fringing is annoying and from what I remember wasn't much usable until f/3.2 or 4. The sigma is near perfect at f/2.

I'd have to check some older images to see how the 180 rendered stars (in corners etc.) but there's nothing I miss about that lens for astro.

nate

 Tomx72's gear list:Tomx72's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon Z6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
DMcGarvey
DMcGarvey Regular Member • Posts: 256
Re: 180 ED Nikkor vs modern 70-200 vs 135 Sigma ART?
1

Tomx72 wrote:

Thank you, that was a deal-saving input:) Meantime I keep finding cloudynights references where people regularly used the nikkor stopped down to f/4 - no thanks, I need something decent at 2.8, my guiding skills/equipment are not ready for 5min+ subs...

Another interesting old piece of glass: the 1990 model Sigma 2.8/180, read somewhere that it is better than the nikkor.

BlackgumNate wrote:

There's no comparison between the Nikon 180 and the Sigma 135, the Sigma is far superior, I've always found the nikkor to be over touted. I used to own the 180mm but it's fringing is annoying and from what I remember wasn't much usable until f/3.2 or 4. The sigma is near perfect at f/2.

I'd have to check some older images to see how the 180 rendered stars (in corners etc.) but there's nothing I miss about that lens for astro.

nate

I would concur with Nate as I have the Nikkor 180mm and it is indeed unusable until you stop down to about f4, which sort of defeats the purpose of getting an f/2.8 lens in my opinion.  The blue fringing around stars is pretty bad at f/2.8, and I wasn't able to effectively deal with it either in a raw converter or in post-processing in Photoshop.  I don't use it much, which is disappointing.  If you do stop down to f/4, it's tack sharp...so I may use it sometime for a target that happens to really suit the field of view.

OP Tomx72 Senior Member • Posts: 1,540
Re: 180 ED Nikkor vs modern 70-200 vs 135 Sigma ART?

Actually I do see many nice examples shot at f4 and also the lens weighs about half the sigma 180 or the 70-200 zooms. It does qualify as a decent f4 lens then:). Problem is, that I always want moreĀ 

 Tomx72's gear list:Tomx72's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon Z6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
DMcGarvey
DMcGarvey Regular Member • Posts: 256
Re: 180 ED Nikkor vs modern 70-200 vs 135 Sigma ART?

Tomx72 wrote:

Actually I do see many nice examples shot at f4 and also the lens weighs about half the sigma 180 or the 70-200 zooms. It does qualify as a decent f4 lens then:). Problem is, that I always want more

Yep, understood!

swimswithtrout Veteran Member • Posts: 3,773
Re: 180 ED Nikkor vs modern 70-200 vs 135 Sigma ART?

Tomx72 wrote:

Thank you, that was a deal-saving input:) Meantime I keep finding cloudynights references where people regularly used the nikkor stopped down to f/4 - no thanks, I need something decent at 2.8, my guiding skills/equipment are not ready for 5min+ subs...

5min at f4 ?????? You're going to blow out the entire frame !!!!!!

I have the 180 AF and yes, the CA is pretty bad wide open but cleans up fairly well at f4.

At f4, I shoot 90"-120" subs , max, at my dark site....f4 is plenty fast

OP Tomx72 Senior Member • Posts: 1,540
Re: 180 ED Nikkor vs modern 70-200 vs 135 Sigma ART?

swimswithtrout wrote:

Tomx72 wrote:

Thank you, that was a deal-saving input:) Meantime I keep finding cloudynights references where people regularly used the nikkor stopped down to f/4 - no thanks, I need something decent at 2.8, my guiding skills/equipment are not ready for 5min+ subs...

5min at f4 ?????? You're going to blow out the entire frame !!!!!!

I have the 180 AF and yes, the CA is pretty bad wide open but cleans up fairly well at f4.

At f4, I shoot 90"-120" subs , max, at my dark site....f4 is plenty fast

Certainy not with a deep sky filter. Tried with a plain uhc on my 1.8/50 z-nikkor from our balcony. 5min f2 is a bit too bright with the filter but 2min f2 is perfect.

 Tomx72's gear list:Tomx72's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon Z6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads