EM5 mark II firmware Bugs - Shortcomings

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Dr. Noodle
Dr. Noodle Senior Member • Posts: 2,848
EM5 mark II firmware Bugs - Shortcomings

Do others have the same problems trying to set up their 5IIs - The thing no matter how customizable may be, finally lets you down if you try to setup it via mysets in order to do the job flowesly and mostly quickly.

I dare to say that it is an incomplete Firmware design with many shortcomings and few bugs.

Here I post two scenarios for Myset 3 Loaded for Manual Lens use,  and Myset 4 Loaded for video.

Dr. Noodle's gear list:Dr. Noodle's gear list
7artisans 12mm F2.8
Digital Dick Senior Member • Posts: 2,011
Re: EM5 mark II firmware Bugs - Shortcomings

I have my MySet 4 set up for video shooting. I only have to set the MySet 4 to ON and turn the mode dial to Movie. The MySet changes a bunch of camera setting from my other MySets which are set up for wildlife, BIF (with back button focusing), high shutter speed, fixed ISO, grid displayed, focus boxes pattern, fixed white balance and a bunch of other features. No shortcomings for me?

Dick

Digital Dick's gear list:Digital Dick's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II
Dr. Noodle
OP Dr. Noodle Senior Member • Posts: 2,848

Digital Dick wrote:

I have my MySet 4 set up for video shooting. I only have to set the MySet 4 to ON and turn the mode dial to Movie. The MySet changes a bunch of camera setting from my other MySets which are set up for wildlife, BIF (with back button focusing), high shutter speed, fixed ISO, grid displayed, focus boxes pattern, fixed white balance and a bunch of other features. No shortcomings for me?

Dick

Yea we are saying the same thing.... why not a choice inside video menu for what myset to autoload when main dial goes to video. Not to mention that the whole setting for video could be mapped with no need for any myset to be uploaded.

Then Why the camera doesn't remember the EVF style but it is a global  choice. How to describe it, as shortcoming or Bug...? Someone didn't realize even to test it how its going....!!!

How about the Lever another one Cobal setting.... but why... different setting for different use & myset.... another shortcoming...???

And why the camera to forget settings of mysets when the myset get assigned in a dial function... This supposed to be a novelty from EM5I... and it is a mess...

They have to Listen AND FIX these... in a new firmware... They promised evolution via firmware updates... So IT is absolutely necessary ti fix them...

Otherwise Em5 is a customizable camera that can't be customized - USELESS...

7artisans 12mm F2.8

I don't think we are saying the same thing at all. The video conditions I have set up in MySet4 to change from still shooting to video work wonderfully for me. I don't even have to switch from my normal still shooting condition to MySet 4. I don't have to turn the mode dial to video. Instead I can just press the orange record button and it starts recording the video using the setting I had previously set in MySet 4. It couldn't be faster nor easier.

Dick

Dr. Noodle

Digital Dick wrote:

I don't think we are saying the same thing at all. The video conditions I have set up in MySet4 to change from still shooting to video work wonderfully for me. I don't even have to switch from my normal still shooting condition to MySet 4. I don't have to turn the mode dial to video. Instead I can just press the orange record button and it starts recording the video using the setting I had previously set in MySet 4. It couldn't be faster nor easier.

Dick

Its obvious you are talking for a very basic video setup - thnx anyway.

7artisans 12mm F2.8

I'm not talking about a basic setup. My MySet4 makes a ton of changes (Shutter Priority, a custom WB, Auto ISO, FHD A-1 30, S-AF+M, remove the grid and choose a clean output screen (for HDMI output). That's not the standard defaults for video shooting.

Dick

Dr. Noodle

Digital Dick wrote:

I'm not talking about a basic setup. My MySet4 makes a ton of changes (Shutter Priority, a custom WB, Auto ISO, FHD A-1 30, S-AF+M, remove the grid and choose a clean output screen (for HDMI output). That's not the standard defaults for video shooting.

Dick

Ok what are you doing with this setup, taking pictures and occasionally video...?

7artisans 12mm F2.8

I occasionally video 90 minute lectures and send a clean HDMI output to a separate large TV or project to a theater size screen for the audience in the back of a large room need to see the fine details of small prints or objects on the stage. It's all live so no opportunity for second takes. Before using the Mysets approach I was always forgetting to set one of the parameters correctly. Using the Myset4 settings means I get it right every time without having to think about it. I would be lost without the MySets.

Dick

Dr. Noodle

Digital Dick wrote:

I occasionally video 90 minute lectures and send a clean HDMI output to a separate large TV or project to a theater size screen for the audience in the back of a large room need to see the fine details of small prints or objects on the stage. It's all live so no opportunity for second takes. Before using the Mysets approach I was always forgetting to set one of the parameters correctly. Using the Myset4 settings means I get it right every time without having to think about it. I would be lost without the MySets.

Dick

So this is a dedicated video myset4 setup, then I think we are talking the same thing. First load myset4 then turn the command dial to video, and if last used EVF style was 1 or 2 you need to change to EVF style 3...

So 3 movements in order to do ONE thing. Thanks God it could be worst... LOL

7artisans 12mm F2.8

No - If I'm in my regular still shooting mode and want to go to video shooting I just press the orange record button. That's it push one button - nothing else. Couldn't be simpler until they install voice control.

Dick

Dr. Noodle

Digital Dick wrote:

No - If I'm in my regular still shooting mode and want to go to video shooting I just press the orange record button. That's it push one button - nothing else. Couldn't be simpler until they install voice control.

Dick

I think you are kidding me... you are not offer any creative help this way to me but mostly to Olympus. we all know that if you have not assign anything else to the little red button it takes video of you press it. come on get serious friend

7artisans 12mm F2.8

Dr. Noodle wrote:

Digital Dick wrote:

Dick

I think you are kidding me... you are not offer any creative help this way to me but mostly to Olympus. we all know that if you have not assign anything else to the little red button it takes video of you press it. come on get serious friend

Perhaps it makes sense to not reassign the video button to do anything else.

Dick

Dr. Noodle

Digital Dick wrote:

Dr. Noodle wrote:

Digital Dick wrote:

Dick

Perhaps it makes sense to not reassign the video button to do anything else.

Dick

Makes me wondering if internet nicknames are truly related with personal idiosyncrasies

7artisans 12mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads