A7RII turns off and on in a loop by itself

Started Dec 10, 2019 | Discussions
robertanderson9 Junior Member • Posts: 29
A7RII turns off and on in a loop by itself

Hi

I have 2 sony a7rm2´s. One works just fine but the other one have started to instantly turn itself off right after I switch on the power. It just goes light gray then off, then on again, then off in a never ending loop.

I have tried using all of my various batteries and battery grips and connecting it to a usb power bank but nothing changes.

It seems I need to spend ****dollars**** on sony repair support now unless someone have a magic suggestion?

SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,300
Re: A7RII turns off and on in a loop by itself

robertanderson9 wrote:

Hi

I have 2 sony a7rm2´s. One works just fine but the other one have started to instantly turn itself off right after I switch on the power. It just goes light gray then off, then on again, then off in a never ending loop.

I have tried using all of my various batteries and battery grips and connecting it to a usb power bank but nothing changes.

It seems I need to spend ****dollars**** on sony repair support now unless someone have a magic suggestion?

That doesn't sound good. The only thing I could suggest is hooking it up to a Windows machine and trying to update the firmware... even if it's already running the latest. It might be an Android boot loop, and the updater might be able to disrupt that.

Second, option would be to leave it on with battery out for a couple of days, in case that triggers enough drain of internal power sources to get it to reset.

Pretty much all Android phones have a key combination to force them into a bootloader/factory reset mode. Too bad Sony does not seem to have provided such a thing for these cameras.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +34 more
OP robertanderson9 Junior Member • Posts: 29

Hi, I'm coming back to this issue again. Here is a video of the problem.

https://youtu.be/EKf8RM1NIZU

Any time the cable is connected to windows the camera works, as soon as I disconnect, the camera works until I turn off the power, then it won't fully boot up again. No error message. Only original lens and batteries are fully charged.

Suggestions?

I tried to run the firmware updater but it just tells me that the firmware is updated and does not need to be changed.

I have been emailing with sony support but no solution so far. I assume they will tell me to send it in to be fixed for 400 USD or something like that but this clearly seem to be some kind of software error.

Lan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,322

robertanderson9 wrote:

Any time the cable is connected to windows the camera works, as soon as I disconnect, the camera works until I turn off the power, then it won't fully boot up again. No error message. Only original lens and batteries are fully charged.

Suggestions?

I tried to run the firmware updater but it just tells me that the firmware is updated and does not need to be changed.

Can you initialise the camera whilst it's connected to your computer? Be aware that you'll lose any apps/settings/etc:

(Setup) → [Setting Reset] → Initialise

Also try removing the lens, the camera wouldn't normally loop like that with or without a lens. So try without.

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 468

I think that this is the same problem:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63819099

in which case the solution is control your camera via USB and set the date and time.

jay-A the man!

Thanks! That stuff fixed the problem! I set the location settings + date and time and all is good now.

What a weird problem.

As mentioned in that thread this camera could have had some weird repair by the previous owner or something. When I did a reset earlier the camera came back in japanese characters.

Sorry for not replying sooner. My inbox did not get the forum notification for some reason.

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 468

robertanderson9 wrote:

jay-A the man!

Thanks! That stuff fixed the problem! I set the location settings + date and time and all is good now.

What a weird problem.

As mentioned in that thread this camera could have had some weird repair by the previous owner or something. When I did a reset earlier the camera came back in japanese characters.

Sorry for not replying sooner. My inbox did not get the forum notification for some reason.

Always glad to help.

andaskacamata New Member • Posts: 2

robertanderson9 wrote:

jay-A the man!

What a weird problem.

hi robert, how did you solve the problem?

mine is still on and off continuously even when connected to my pc.

please help with step by step instruction if you dont mind

big thanks

ccamwilkins New Member • Posts: 4

My A7RII also is in a boot loop when connected to the computer.

ccamwilkins New Member • Posts: 4

Since it stays in a boot loop, i cannot get the camera to be recognized by my Windows PC.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads