Nikon 35 1.8G DX on a FX camera.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
moen999 Junior Member • Posts: 45
Nikon 35 1.8G DX on a FX camera.

I just picked up the Nikon 35 1.8G DX lens for my D750 after reading articles saying that the lens is awesome and very useable on a FX camera. I was going to get the FX version but honestly my main purpose of getting this lens was for lowlight with it wide open and I could not justify paying $300 more for the FX version and not getting a whole lot more for that money. The vignette on the DX version at 1.8 seems easily adjustable (if you dont like it) in post. I like the vignette personally. I owned the nikon 24 2.8d and liked the contrast/vignette on that lens as well and this kind of reminds me of that lens but it actually is sharper in the corners I think compared to the 24 2.8D (unless my eyes are bad). lol. Have you shot with the 35 1.8 DX on a FX body and how did you feel about it?

Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mbecke Senior Member • Posts: 1,093
Re: Nikon 35 1.8G DX on a FX camera.

I have read the same thing.  I hope that it is correct.

threw the lens
threw the lens Senior Member • Posts: 2,195

Sounds like you have researched it and have realistic expectations. It has chromatic aberration and vignetting but I think it's good value.

OP moen999 Junior Member • Posts: 45

I can see it not being a realistic option if you shoot landscapes and dont like vignette at all. I personally dont mind vignetting

I just shot an event with this lens last night and I must say that it was fantastic. The images are sharp and the vignette at 2.8 (where I shot it at all evening for enough dof for 2-3 people shots) was ver pleasant. The images have a nice "pop/3d effect" (sorry dont know how else to convey what 8 am saying) to them and remind me of the 24 2.8d with the contrast. Maybe I am being nostalgic but I am very impressed with the results. Especially since this is a dx lens on a fx body.

Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 17,728

moen999 wrote:

I just picked up the Nikon 35 1.8G DX lens for my D750 after reading articles saying that the lens is awesome and very useable on a FX camera. I was going to get the FX version but honestly my main purpose of getting this lens was for lowlight with it wide open and I could not justify paying $300 more for the FX version and not getting a whole lot more for that money. The vignette on the DX version at 1.8 seems easily adjustable (if you dont like it) in post. I like the vignette personally. I owned the nikon 24 2.8d and liked the contrast/vignette on that lens as well and this kind of reminds me of that lens but it actually is sharper in the corners I think compared to the 24 2.8D (unless my eyes are bad). lol. Have you shot with the 35 1.8 DX on a FX body and how did you feel about it?

I have the 35mm f/1.8G DX Nikkor. I got it for my D300. It's pretty sharp on DX with good contrast but has very ugly rendering of out-of-focus areas.

When I got a D750 I naturally enough tried my DX 35mm on it. I found it pretty horrible and immediately went out and got the FX 35mm, which has become one of my favorite lenses for its sharpness and rendering.

It's interesting that you like the 24mm f/2.8, which is one my least favorite lenses. So we're both consistent.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more

Yes I mean I am not as fixated on bokeh as some people are and honestly none of my event clients have never ever talked about the bokeh being any specific way or ugly vs pretty. They just see it as "blurry area" or at least comment that they like how things are blurred in the background. I think if I was shooting some other type of photography I would care more about that. I look for and mostly appreciate the contrast/look/feel that a lens produces and in that I liked shooting with the 24 2.8d. I know majority will disagree and I respect that. I just found this lens (35 dx) to be a very nice lens for what I do and I am glad I tried it. I probably would also like the 35 2d even though it may not be the sharpest in corners or nicest bokeh. Something tells me it would deliver on contrast/3d feel or whatever you like to call it. I also look at value in a lens and I dont personally feel that $166 vs $470 price between the dx vs fx version of the 35 1.8G is justified to me. From what I have read, it does not deliver twice the image quality unless you are maybe pixel peeping and are looking for a specific thing.

Stan Disbrow Veteran Member • Posts: 4,019

Hi,

I just bought an FX AFS 35/1.8g two months ago. It replaced an AIS 35/2 I bought new in 1983 with an FA. I pretty much wore that helicoid out in the old manual focus lens. I didn't even consider the DX variant. I am using a Df these days, but learned long ago to not use a DX lens meant for APS-C when I had an APS-H sensor - much less an FX one. I guess this DX 35 is better than most DX lenses. But, I can say I am pleased with the FX version.

This all began as the Df came with an AFS 50/1.8g and I found I liked it. I didn't have an AF in 50, 35 and 28 and decided it was about time I did. So, a few weeks ago I added the 28/1.8g to the bag. I am sticking with my AFD lenses at the other focal lengths, though.

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Once you start down the DSLR path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume
your bank account, it will! Like mine, it did!

Stan Disbrow's gear list:Stan Disbrow's gear list
Kodak DCS520 Kodak DCS660 Kodak DCS760 Nikon D1H Pentax 645D +36 more

Yeah I absolutely agree that I would not go around using just any dx lens on fx but this lens seems to be the exception if you normally shoot fairly open (under f4) and dont mind some vignette. This video was what made me try it. I cam across it when looking for reviews on the FX version. It is a bit long but has a lot of detail and sample images.

https://youtu.be/28kf_ABPFwk

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads