a6000 shutter count ...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
harry2007 Regular Member • Posts: 384
a6000 shutter count ...

I am trying to sell my a6000, body only and few people asked me how many shutter count it has. So, I Googled it and found an online website which I could upload latest photo made by the camera to check the shutter count.

I got figure like 26000 shutter count. And apparently that might be too high, which made all potential buyer withdrew their bid.

So, what is it shutter count? And what can you tell with that 26000 count on my a6000?

I am now thinking what should I do with it as no one wants to buy it lol.

The reason I am selling it, because I bought a6500 months ago.

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Super_T Regular Member • Posts: 355
Re: a6000 shutter count ...

harry2007 wrote:

I am trying to sell my a6000, body only and few people asked me how many shutter count it has. So, I Googled it and found an online website which I could upload latest photo made by the camera to check the shutter count.

I got figure like 26000 shutter count. And apparently that might be too high, which made all potential buyer withdrew their bid.

So, what is it shutter count? And what can you tell with that 26000 count on my a6000?

Even if Sony states an estimated shutter life of 100 000 for the a6000 people tend to think that a count of 26 000 (quite correctly) indicates a busy life of the camera and the extended use could also lead to other signs of wear.
However the site you tried is not necessarily correct. I would try a second and third site for confirmation.
Also if the in camera file naming never was reset, your filename would equal the shutter count. I never reset mine for that reason only.

Super_T's gear list:Super_T's gear list
Sony a6000 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Samyang 21mm F1.4 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +6 more
OP harry2007 Regular Member • Posts: 384

Super_T wrote:

harry2007 wrote:

Even if Sony states an estimated shutter life of 100 000 for the a6000 people tend to think that a count of 26 000 (quite correctly) indicates a busy life of the camera and the extended use could also lead to other signs of wear.
However the site you tried is not necessarily correct. I would try a second and third site for confirmation.
Also if the in camera file naming never was reset, your filename would equal the shutter count. I never reset mine for that reason only.

I just tried a second site and it also shown the same number. The site gave me the complete EXIF data which I can read that shutter count listed. But, I don't know the number in the filename because I renamed it. I will check when I get home.

I owned this camera since April 2014 and used it until December 2016. I cannot believe I made 26k photos in 2 years time

inventurous Regular Member • Posts: 109

If you're having trouble selling due to shutter count just post it where it's less likely to garner scrutiny, like OfferUp or CL, or even eBay.

I plan to set a shutter count record for my a6500 since it looks like I won't be upgrading the body this cycle and I also have the a6400.

As far as I know, the 100k number is arbitrary just like with hard drives and actual life might be +/- 1000%

Personally I'd prefer a 26k shutter count on pristine body over a 2k that looks like it was dropped and left in the rain. Heck, I've even seen bodies advertised with "some damage to mounting plate" that had the entire bottom of the body sheared off.

All that said, with the recent price drops on the higher end bodies, you might want to be flexible on price to get it sold.

inventurous's gear list:inventurous's gear list
Sony a5000 Sony a6500 Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads