Early days with my a7 iii

Started 4 months ago | Photos
Ashaz
Ashaz Junior Member • Posts: 35
Early days with my a7 iii

Enjoying my early experiences with my new camera + Sony 28mm f2 and Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8.

This is North Shields fish market

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ashaz
OP Ashaz Junior Member • Posts: 35
Re: Early days with my a7 iii

A 2nd one

DMKAlex
DMKAlex Veteran Member • Posts: 5,144

Ashaz wrote:

Enjoying my early experiences with my new camera + Sony 28mm f2 and Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8.

Very courageous of you walking in the waterfront with a few $K of equipment in that hours.

For the image, I would prefer to crop the top and the right darkness out a bit, and PP the blown out to bring back some of the detail.

DMKAlex's gear list:DMKAlex's gear list
Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S +4 more
Ashaz

I think you are right about the cropping, maybe I was over-influenced by having the bird on the far right in it.

Picking the light/dark aspect is always a problem for me and is a pretty personal thing and I'm not very good at it anyway!

When I tried to lighten it to get more dark detail it seemed to just glare the highlight more. But, yes, a little lighter would have worked better.

Thanks for your reply.

DMKAlex
DMKAlex Veteran Member • Posts: 5,144

Ashaz wrote:

dark detail it seemed to just glare the highlight more. But, yes, a little lighter would have worked better.

I used the channel to pick up the highlight area and create a layer which I blended it with multiply. That will bring back the detail of the bright without affecting the dark.

DMKAlex's gear list:DMKAlex's gear list
Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S +4 more
Ashaz

You are far ahead of me with processing!

DKMI Regular Member • Posts: 130

Ashaz wrote:

I like them both.  I have a bit of a different opinion of the post processing.  While I agree that the edit brought out more detail, I'm not sure it was all that necessary.  I see the photos as a general mood thing.  I also don't have eyesight that can pick out a ton of detail in dim light, so photos that do can sometimes distract from the mood for me.  Don't get me wrong, the one with the added detail is a very nice edit.  I'm just not sure it was really necessary.  I suppose the question becomes how you intend on viewing it.  A smallish print would probably benefit from the lightened up parts vs a large screen of sorts.

DKMI's gear list:DKMI's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +6 more
Ashaz

That's pretty well my way of thinking.

Atmosphere and mood ahead of technically superior.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads