Z6 with Godox V1 TTL overexposure by +3

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Freecall Regular Member • Posts: 244
Z6 with Godox V1 TTL overexposure by +3

Hello

just switched from my Nikon 700 flash to a Godox V1 and see a strange behaviour with my Z6. Camera on manual, flash on TTL I need to set the Godox to -3 flash exposure correction (in flashhead menu )  to get a correct photo.

Latest firmware (Sep) installed in Godox , anybody else has the problem? As the Godox does not support TTL BL not sure if any of the BL settings (full / subject) has an impact here ?

Any other Z 6 user with a Godox V1 here ?

Thank you

-- hide signature --

Greetings Bjoern
Better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it

Freecall's gear list:Freecall's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X100F Nikon D800 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 26,897
Re: Z6 with Godox V1 TTL overexposure by +3

Freecall wrote:

Hello

just switched from my Nikon 700 flash to a Godox V1 and see a strange behaviour with my Z6. Camera on manual, flash on TTL I need to set the Godox to -3 flash exposure correction (in flashhead menu ) to get a correct photo.

Latest firmware (Sep) installed in Godox , anybody else has the problem? As the Godox does not support TTL BL not sure if any of the BL settings (full / subject) has an impact here ?

Thank you

I guess the Godox is more powerful than the SB-700, which you have to consider as well with your settings, especially if you have the camera set to M. Anyway, from what distance do you get the overexposure? Is it from all distances? Because that would definitely indicate that something is wrong. Which metering have you set on the camera? How is the ISO setting? If you didn't use TTL-BL, which mode did you use?

Last, but not least, are you sure the Godox works with the Z at all in iTTL mode? I have some Nikon clone flashes, some works, other don't. All of them worked with the D800 in iTTL, but not with the Z7.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
blackfeather Regular Member • Posts: 246

I am using a Godox V1 on my Fuji XT2, and have my TTL dialed back to -0.7, and sometimes -1.0....it's a fairly powerful unit.

blackfeather's gear list:blackfeather's gear list
Nikon Z7 +1 more
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 26,897

blackfeather wrote:

I am using a Godox V1 on my Fuji XT2, and have my TTL dialed back to -0.7, and sometimes -1.0....it's a fairly powerful unit.

...but if you have to dial in a negative value all the time then the TTL is not working properly. I never have to do that with the SB-900, and  that is more powerful (GN 40) than the Godox V1 (GN 28), so it has nothing to do with power, and it is actually not that powerful at all. It has to do with the TTL, or if the flash is used outside the capabilities of the TTL. For example, if you move too near, then the power might be too much, or the flash does not understand the protocol of the Z (or the XT2) regarding power setting.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
KeithF Senior Member • Posts: 1,208

Freecall wrote:

Hello

just switched from my Nikon 700 flash to a Godox V1 and see a strange behaviour with my Z6. Camera on manual, flash on TTL I need to set the Godox to -3 flash exposure correction (in flashhead menu ) to get a correct photo.

Thank you

I have no issue with Godox V1 and Z7 on TTL mode.

KeithF's gear list:KeithF's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +20 more
frankjoke Regular Member • Posts: 326

KeithF wrote:

Me neither...

-- hide signature --

Greetings
Franz with Z7 + Irix, Tamron, Nikon F and Z lenses.

frankjoke's gear list:frankjoke's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Irix 15mm F2.4 +4 more
GetUp Regular Member • Posts: 164

frankjoke wrote:

KeithF wrote:

Me neither...

Me too, no issues with Z7 + V1

-- hide signature --

Commercial/editorial photographer, Latvia, EU.
http://www.andrey.lv

OP Freecall Regular Member • Posts: 244

Thanks for all feedback & confirmation that Godox V1 works with Z series  !!

@keithF and @Frankjoke, which Flash settings do you use with Nikon Z ?

- is the flash autofocus enabled , I disabled mine as I read it would distract green focus beam of Nikon Z

- do you any settings for the flash in body like background  vs Subject ?

Thanks in advance, will do this weeked a test with D800 and Z6 both with TTL on Nikon Flash vs Godox to see if the TTL problem is the flash , the body or the combination of both

-- hide signature --

Greetings Bjoern
Better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it

Freecall's gear list:Freecall's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X100F Nikon D800 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads