When do you think will smartphones offer a 200mm (35mm equivalent) Lense?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
OP John Fantastic Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: The answer, it looks like, is 2020

Lee Jay wrote:

S11 - 48MP at 5x (~125mm equivalent ) = 12MP at 10x (~250mm equivalent)

P40 Pro - 16MP at 10x (~250mm equivalent)

https://twitter.com/UniverseIce/status/1207865068253138944

Wow!! Thank you Lee Jay.

Ken Gosden Senior Member • Posts: 2,805

John Fantastic wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Wow!! Thank you Lee Jay.

Although I don't believe either of those are zoom lenses, just digital zoom, or at most digital zoom with multiple fixed focal length cameras at specific points in the digital zoom process.

Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +20 more
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 55,395

Ken Gosden wrote:

John Fantastic wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Wow!! Thank you Lee Jay.

Although I don't believe either of those are zoom lenses,

They aren't.

just digital zoom, or at most digital zoom with multiple fixed focal length cameras at specific points in the digital zoom process.

They are primes. However, 48MP downsampled to 12MP gives you 2x zoom (5x to 10x). Combined with a 108MP main camera (3x zoom - 1x to 3x) and a 64MP ultrawide (2x zoom at 16MP - 0.5x to 1x), you get something like three narrow zooms of 13mm-26mm, 25mm-75mm and 125mm to 250mm in one device, all without upsampling.

Of course, this is all rough guesses from leaks, so an actual announcement combined with images with embedded EXIF data would be nice.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
_vlad Senior Member • Posts: 2,649
P40 will have 2x periscope, 10x optical zoom with

F4 aperture.

Today's news on smartmania

-- hide signature --

Vlad

_vlad's gear list:_vlad's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +5 more
Re: P40 will have 2x periscope, 10x optical zoom with

_vlad wrote:

F4 aperture.

Today's news on smartmania

Vlad, Can you post the link please? Thank you.
-------------
Found it. Thank you for the tip.

Bimini Bob Contributing Member • Posts: 646
Re: P40 will have 2x periscope, 10x optical zoom with

Just the 2x zoom on my Xiaomi Mi9 seems a bit of a gimmick. The standard lens sits over a 48MP sensor, the 2x lens has a 12 MP sensor. All pixels being equal, I could just as well crop the main lens to get a 2x 12MP zoom. And the pixels do seem equal, from the shots I've taken the 2x zoom lens isn't as good as the main one.

-- hide signature --

Bob
Fuji X100S
Backup - Xiaomi Mi 9 smartphone

Bimini Bob's gear list:Bimini Bob's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
I2K4
I2K4 Contributing Member • Posts: 929
Hasselblad Moto Mod

Don't find this in the preceding thread or know if it answers to the original question or if the concept was quite ready for prime time:

https://www.gsmarena.com/hasselblad_true_zoom_moto_mod_handson-blog-22742.php

Focal length 4.5-45 mm (25-250mm 35mm equivalent) I got a very good holiday deal on a compatible Moto Z3 Play (January delivery) though this "Moto Mod" isn't a priority.  Its price combined with mid-range compatible Moto phone is still a lot less than a flagship superphone.

I2K4's gear list:I2K4's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS +2 more
Re: Hasselblad Moto Mod

I2K4 wrote:

Don't find this in the preceding thread or know if it answers to the original question or if the concept was quite ready for prime time:

Focal length 4.5-45 mm (25-250mm 35mm equivalent) I got a very good holiday deal on a compatible Moto Z3 Play (January delivery) though this "Moto Mod" isn't a priority. Its price combined with mid-range compatible Moto phone is still a lot less than a flagship superphone.

I2K4, 
Thank you very much for sharing. This is a very nice concept for a smartphone. I have never seen or heard of something like this before. I hope that they perfect the concept.

_vlad Senior Member • Posts: 2,649

John Fantastic wrote:

I2K4 wrote:

Focal length 4.5-45 mm (25-250mm 35mm equivalent) I got a very good holiday deal on a compatible Moto Z3 Play (January delivery) though this "Moto Mod" isn't a priority. Its price combined with mid-range compatible Moto phone is still a lot less than a flagship superphone.

I2K4,
Thank you very much for sharing. This is a very nice concept for a smartphone. I have never seen or heard of something like this before. I hope that they perfect the concept.

Yes, this is very interesting concept - but now I am not sure if LG G5 wasn't trying something similar. However as it is, according to the link, it seems to be a lot to be desired.

-- hide signature --

Vlad

_vlad's gear list:_vlad's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +5 more
I2K4

John Fantastic wrote:

I2K4 wrote:

I2K4,

Glad it's of interest. For several year a pet theory has been that compact cameras have been failing while phones thrive, partly because of really primitive camera software, navigation and algorithms, with compartively pitiful resource configurations that spoil the appeal of their much better lenses and sensors. Meanwhile brilliant phone software is still struggling with telephoto and low light performance due to hardware limitations.

I've thought one of the major manufacturers (Sony, Samsung, etc.) with real experience in both camera and phone development would apply core competencies to create an Android phone dockable as the screen and control mechanism for serious interchangeable and/or fixed lens cameras. On that basis, easy to imagine an open source API for third party developers to create and sell specialized apps and algorithms specific to that phone/camera interface. Some of the apparent issues with this Moto Mod could be the distance between development teams at Lenovo and Hasselblad.

I'm not the one to know, but laws of physics may result in much more intelligent dedicated cameras before much more optically powerful dedicated phones.

Ken Gosden Senior Member • Posts: 2,805

I2K4 wrote:

John Fantastic wrote:

I2K4 wrote:

I2K4,

Glad it's of interest. For several year a pet theory has been that compact cameras have been failing while phones thrive, partly because of really primitive camera software, navigation and algorithms, with compartively pitiful resource configurations that spoil the appeal of their much better lenses and sensors. Meanwhile brilliant phone software is still struggling with telephoto and low light performance due to hardware limitations.

I've thought one of the major manufacturers (Sony, Samsung, etc.) with real experience in both camera and phone development would apply core competencies to create an Android phone dockable as the screen and control mechanism for serious interchangeable and/or fixed lens cameras. On that basis, easy to imagine an open source API for third party developers to create and sell specialized apps and algorithms specific to that phone/camera interface. Some of the apparent issues with this Moto Mod could be the distance between development teams at Lenovo and Hasselblad.

I'm not the one to know, but laws of physics may result in much more intelligent dedicated cameras before much more optically powerful dedicated phones.

Well, MotoMods have pretty much died, so don't look for anything else on that front.  You would think Sony would have the lead in applying phone like processing to their cameras, but it really doesn't seem to be.  I would suggest that Olympus has probably done more innovating with in-camera processing than most.  They really were one of the first out of the gate with all kinds of funky filter effects.  They have since added things like live composite which only adds light to areas that are still not fully exposed.  Recently they added in camera ND software effects using multiple exposures just like phones do.

Ken Gosden's gear list:Ken Gosden's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +20 more
I2K4

Well, MotoMods have pretty much died, so don't look for anything else on that front. You would think Sony would have the lead in applying phone like processing to their cameras, but it really doesn't seem to be. I would suggest that Olympus has probably done more innovating with in-camera processing than most. They really were one of the first out of the gate with all kinds of funky filter effects. They have since added things like live composite which only adds light to areas that are still not fully exposed. Recently they added in camera ND software effects using multiple exposures just like phones do.

New to the Moto Mods, I also get the impression they're on the way out, although the new Moto Z4 still supports them, and there's a 5G network snap on.  If so, could be a chance to pick up that Hasselblad zoomer on big discount.

I2K4 wrote:

Well, MotoMods have pretty much died, so don't look for anything else on that front. You would think Sony would have the lead in applying phone like processing to their cameras, but it really doesn't seem to be. I would suggest that Olympus has probably done more innovating with in-camera processing than most. They really were one of the first out of the gate with all kinds of funky filter effects. They have since added things like live composite which only adds light to areas that are still not fully exposed. Recently they added in camera ND software effects using multiple exposures just like phones do.

New to the Moto Mods, I also get the impression they're on the way out, although the new Moto Z4 still supports them, and there's a 5G network snap on. If so, could be a chance to pick up that Hasselblad zoomer on big discount.

Maybe an opportunity for Canon to penetrate the smartphone market with a much better camera?

I2K4

John Fantastic wrote:

I2K4 wrote:

New to the Moto Mods, I also get the impression they're on the way out, although the new Moto Z4 still supports them, and there's a 5G network snap on. If so, could be a chance to pick up that Hasselblad zoomer on big discount.

Maybe an opportunity for Canon to penetrate the smartphone market with a much better camera?

I had a hazy recollection of Samsung, probably something like this (dates to Android JB):

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Camera-16-3MP-Optical/dp/B00HV6KGV4/ref=pd_sbs_107_2/138-4641727-2525809?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00HV6KGV4&pd_rd_r=34f4ba0a-2abf-4b78-8fdc-4166971722ff&pd_rd_w=j3Wjl&pd_rd_wg=Ockim&pf_rd_p=5873ae95-9063-4a23-9b7e-eafa738c2269&pf_rd_r=BR3VR1ZC36N913F2CRWT&psc=1&refRID=BR3VR1ZC36N913F2CRWT

I think it's a problem of integrating product lines and development teams. Sony seems to me the squandered opportunity of the last two decades, when you compare Apple's tight ecosystem and then think of Sony's history and diversity of premium electronic devices - TV, Walkman, audio equipment, cameras, phones - and its huge recorded media libraries, that are all in separate corporate silos competing in separate markets, and have never added up to any compelling ecosystem or good reason to buy a second Sony product. Just looks like poor corporate management, crying for a Steve Jobs to pull it together.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads