Need help with night photos appearing green

Started 2 months ago | Questions
Nic727 Regular Member • Posts: 128
Need help with night photos appearing green

Hi,

I shot some night photography with a Nikon Coolpix P7100.

The thing is that I use Luminar and the thumbnail of the photo look great, but when it's loading, the image become green. Did someone already have this kind of problem in the past? What's the solution? Is it a problem with the camera itself?

Here are some stuffs I get :

Now for astrophotography I need to do a black and white version, but for the building I don't know how to fix that.

Thank you

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon Coolpix P7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Cariboo Contributing Member • Posts: 606
Re: Need help with night photos appearing green

Oh boy, where to start. Your questions dont make sense because you have little photography knowledge. Try to find some basic beginner digital photo videos. Search for night photography, color tempetature & buildings. Search for Luminar videos. Thumbnail maybe does an auto correct but large image view doesnt, but it can. The software is waiting for YOU to make the edits or commands or set it up for auto changes. READ THE SOFTWARE HELP (Press F1 key or HELP in the menus).

Nothing wrong with the camera. Green lights are probably due to the color temperature of the building light bulbs & your camera white balance set on daylight or auto or different than building light bulbs. To teach you how to change these in camera & now in these images would take a lot of time.

PLEASE READ YOUR CAMERA MANUAL, their are usually tips in there. Look for youtube videos on whatever software you plan to use & read the software help files. Do web searches. Info is out there already & you have a lot to learn. But color changes are possible as is a change to black & white. SEARCH YOUTUBE ALSO.

jimhughes
jimhughes Senior Member • Posts: 1,043

The concepts you need here are "white balance" and "color temperature".

Fully automatic cameras try to determine 'white balance' on their own; we don't really know how they do it, it's pretty technical. At night it's harder and the camera just makes the best guess it can. In this case, that guess didn't match how your eye perceived it. One big reason to shoot 'raw' files is that you can adjust the white balance any way you want in post-processing, and try to match your memory of the scene.

-- hide signature --

www.jimhphoto.com

Janoch
Janoch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,401

Just set your white balance to Daylight and you'll get the colours "as they are"...

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +1 more
OP Nic727 Regular Member • Posts: 128

Hi,

I already tried changing the white balance and I even opened the raw file in the Windows 10 photo app and it's still good, but when fully loaded, the image turn green. Is it because the camera is corrupted for low light?

I know how to use a camera, I watched lot of tutorial and I even bought a book about photography.

EDIT : I found this video anyway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwfjC_5jrvk

Look like there is no way to get those photos back as it should. Guess the camera is having a problem with low light photography and that I will use Photo Mechanic to get stuffs back.

Ho72
Ho72 Senior Member • Posts: 2,019

Cariboo wrote:

Oh boy, where to start. Your questions dont make sense because you have little photography knowledge. Try to find some basic beginner digital photo videos... blah blah blah

What an insulting, useless reply.

Unfortunately your information is lacking & or is incorrect so it is difficult to help you. Also the video that you linked to, concludes that usually raw files can be corrupted by a bad card reader NOT the camera, yet you now conclude that it's your camera in low light causing the problem. Did you even watch the video you linked to, cause you are not making sense.

So maybe upload the problem RAW file for someone to confirm that it is in fact corrupt, cause I dont trust that you know what you are talking about. Your info as provided is just too vague & confusing. Yiu have led us on a wild goose chase & wasted everyones time. Upload the raw file. Good luck!

Ho72 wrote:

Cariboo wrote:

Oh boy, where to start. Your questions dont make sense because you have little photography knowledge. Try to find some basic beginner digital photo videos... blah blah blah

What an insulting, useless reply.

Hmmm, I gave more help than you did. WT? is your problem? Talk about useless replies ... read your own.

stormyboy Contributing Member • Posts: 848

Nic727,

What color do you remember the lights being?  They really had no greenish tint at all?  I'm curious.  I hope you can remember.

Tom

stormyboy wrote:

Nic727,

What color do you remember the lights being? They really had no greenish tint at all? I'm curious. I hope you can remember.

Tom

Hi,

here is a link with some original file where you can see thumbnails.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aisud1EkzMbUm3pUb9vX5Bg5Z-qL

thx

Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 15,335

Nic727 wrote:

Hi,

I already tried changing the white balance and I even opened the raw file in the Windows 10 photo app and it's still good, but when fully loaded, the image turn green.

There is always an 8-bit JPG with all the camera settings applied inside a RAW file. Depending on the camera this embedded JPG may be full size or smaller.

Many simple image viewers/editors will show you this JPG, not the RAW image.

The embedded JPG is what you are seeing while Photo Viewer is loading the RAW file then when it turns green that is the result of PV converting the RAW image data into a viewable file.

As I understand it Windows 10's Photo Viewer needs an extension to show RAW files. If you are able to view the RAW (green) image then you must have the extension loaded.

PetaPixel - Microsoft Releases Free RAW Image Viewer Extension for Windows 10

The green windows in the buildings could be due to you using a daylight WB setting for fluorescent lighting. You can fix that by setting the WB using the WB eyedropper on one of the green windows. The resulting WB should be close to that for fluorescent lighting.

The green stars, however, have me stumped. Their color indicates that something is wrong, likely with Windows Photo Viewer.

Download a free trial version of ACDSee Pro 10 - Total Photography Control or ACDSee Ultimate - Ultimate Creative Freedom and see if you get the same results from your RAW file.

I also recommend you post a copy of the RAW file on Dropbox. Make sure it can be viewed and downloaded by anyone, then post a link to the RAW file in this thread so we can look at the file.

Is it because the camera is corrupted for low light?

I know how to use a camera, I watched lot of tutorial and I even bought a book about photography.

EDIT : I found this video anyway https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwfjC_5jrvk

Look like there is no way to get those photos back as it should. Guess the camera is having a problem with low light photography and that I will use Photo Mechanic to get stuffs back.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 5DS R & 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX +9 more
splashy
splashy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,288

This picture is lost because the ground (floor) is over exposed, the color are reasonable adjustable with, for example fastone, a free program. LR did a lesser job with this picture, but I didn't try hard.

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +2 more
Windeguy Regular Member • Posts: 362

You are right. Luminar does something very strange to that photo. Almost like the RAW conversion is wrong. When I open it in Luminar, I get an image that looks like yours. When I open it in Capture One with no edits, this is what I get.

Maybe submit a support request to Luminar and see what they say.

Ho72

Thanks for PMing me the links, sorry I wasn't able to get to them for a few hours.

Your files are ok, but none of the photo viewers built into Windows 10 will show your files correctly. I can't help with this but there is probably a solution, likely free if all you want to do is view and make minor adjustments. On the opposite end from free, Capture One and Photoshop will not be fooled (no green).

Here is a rendering using a sligjhtly modified white balance. The original WB was not bad, I just liked the one I chose a bit better. Since I did not see the scene you photographed I can't say that this will be better in your judgement.

Don't give up on your shots.

thaddak Regular Member • Posts: 424

Nic727 wrote:

stormyboy wrote:

Nic727,

What color do you remember the lights being? They really had no greenish tint at all? I'm curious. I hope you can remember.

Tom

Hi,

here is a link with some original file where you can see thumbnails.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aisud1EkzMbUm3pUb9vX5Bg5Z-qL

thx

Opens ok with DXO PL2.

Funky green cast using Exposure X5, ON1 Photo RAW 2019, RawTherapee and Darktable. Looks like the raw engine of those programs have buggy support for the P7100. RawTherapee and Darktable use dcraw I think.

-- hide signature --

The world is like my keyboard; nothing is under Control.

MattPointZero
MattPointZero Senior Member • Posts: 1,111

Cariboo wrote:

Unfortunately your information is lacking & or is incorrect so it is difficult to help you. Also the video that you linked to, concludes that usually raw files can be corrupted by a bad card reader NOT the camera, yet you now conclude that it's your camera in low light causing the problem. Did you even watch the video you linked to, cause you are not making sense.

So maybe upload the problem RAW file for someone to confirm that it is in fact corrupt, cause I dont trust that you know what you are talking about. Your info as provided is just too vague & confusing. Yiu have led us on a wild goose chase & wasted everyones time. Upload the raw file. Good luck!

I'm with Ho72.

Your replies are rude and unhelpful, why not just try to speak positively if you are going to bother replying at all?  Or disengage if the conversation isn't for you.  There are plenty of people here happy to help without being snide and superior, perhaps leave it to them in the interests of not trying to make people feel stupid unnecessarily when they come to a forum to seek advice.

MattPointZero's gear list:MattPointZero's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Fujifilm GF 45mm F2.8
Ho72

I noticed that two of your shots are a mini-pano so I let Photoshop stitch them together. I used the default WB for this one... I think.

Thank you very much.

I contacted Skylum support and will use another software for those photos.

Have a good day!

Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 5,623

Nic727 wrote:

Thank you very much.

I contacted Skylum support and will use another software for those photos.

Have a good day!

Just another thought for images with a greenish tint in general:  Bright up the Curves edit and change the color channel to Green, then pull the curve down slightly.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"I bet we'll find hints of extraterrestrial life before 2030" - Jamie Shreeve, Popular Science

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads