How many cameras/lenses did you replace with the RX1R II?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Yannis1976
Yannis1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,739
How many cameras/lenses did you replace with the RX1R II?

Hi,

I really like the concept of the Rx1r II but it’s cost is still very high even as used. I am trying to justify its buy by selling some of my Fuji lenses and cameras such as the 35/2 and my Fuji x70. What is your experience with the Rx1r II? How many cameras/lenses did you make redundant (if any) by getting this small camera?

thx

Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Olympus TG-5 Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +2 more
Pentax X70 Sony RX1R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Group4 Contributing Member • Posts: 722
Re: How many cameras/lenses did you replace with the RX1R II?

Having had an RX1R and then 2 RX1R II (please take anything you read here with that for starters

In 2018, I'd sold off the RX1R and I had as my full frame, only a Monochrom having traded an M9 to get it. The MM went in for sensor replacement and I really wanted a good color camera around so I found a used RX1rII at a good price. I tend to love fixed lens cameras going back to Rollei 35S and an old Rollei Planar 2.8. I also had a couple of Hexars in the 90s.

The RX1R in my opinion will do beautiful environmental portraits and the RX1R II adds to that nice cropping (zooming) for landscapes or scenics where needed. Of all the cameras out there save for the Leica Q which even as a Leica person I never warmed to, you can do quite well with an RX1R II as your only camera. The rendering, coupled with resolution and form factor make it difficult to touch. And they have come down in price.

To more directly answer your question, how many lenses does it replace: I think of it conservatively as 35 and 50. With my feet, maybe 28mm if I don't step back into a wall

I sold my first one when the Monochrom was returned (it took about 9 Mos) and then decided I needed to have an RX1R II; sweet camera.

David

Portrait

Scenic

Mount Baker seen here is about 30 miles away.

LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 1,682

If you are going for it might as well compare the Leica Q2....   If I was going to the level of a RX-1 I would think about saving an extra $1k when I am ready to spend $3k or so..

At this time for me, I dont have a need for a full frame point and shoot but they do look tempting.

I think the Fuji X100F is fine mostly for the accessory lens option

Depends if you truly care about sensor size

Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,523
None.

For what I do (primarily attempting to document my and my partner's upland bird hunting experiences in beautiful natural places), the RX1r II has limited utility. It is neither a shirt-pocket camera, nor is it very versatile. For me, it is a piece fo very good, special purpose equipment.

I use my RX100's (V and VII) the most because: they are tiny and light - easily carried and managed when trekking many miles in rough terrain and cover, weather than can be anything from desert sun to blowing mountain snow, carrying all the other stuff one needs for days afield in such places, managing a couple super-athletic dogs and gunning. For their size. an RX100 is very versatile and capable and has amazingly good IQ, plus have a very fast burst rate and extremely fast focus.

Joy hard at work in wet Pennsylvania pheasant cover:

My partner walking in to flush a Bliss point on a covey of sharptail grouse miles out on the high western prairie, as a snow storm blows in:

The little RX100's will even make a decent substitute for a landscape camera when I happen on a pretty spot and an RX100 is all I have on me:

When I need real versatility, nothing can substitute for an quality interchangeable lens camera system, which can go from extreme wide angle to extreme telephoto. I have a Fuji mirrorless system to meet those needs, with various lenses and bodies.  It is, however, big and heavy to manage in the field if I need to gun as well.  So, I don't carry it very often.  But, if I am guiding for other people and don't need to deal with trying to shoot, I can carry the Fuji and get some pretty nice action and game images.

Pennsylvania pheasant being taken over a Joy point:

Montana ruffed grouse on his home ground:

The Fuji equipment is no slouch at landscape work either:

The RX1rII cannot serve in place of either of the above.  It does, however excel at producing sparkling images under set-piece circumstances when its 35mm fixed lens is suitable; and (importantly) it is relevantly easy to carry in a large jacket pocket or the like.

Ruffed grouse country in western Montana:

The springhouse in winter on the farm in Pennsylvania:

An old house nearby in winter:

North Dakota:

I'd recommend an RX1r II as a adjunct to what you already have, not as a replacement.

Greg

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
Yannis1976
OP Yannis1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,739
Re: Nice shots!

If money wasn't an issue, yes I would keep everything, but as it seems, the RX1R II is still too expensive for me

Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Olympus TG-5 Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +2 more
Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,523
Re: Nice shots!

Yannis1976 wrote:

If money wasn't an issue, yes I would keep everything, but as it seems, the RX1R II is still too expensive for me

Yeah, it’s expensive, but it’s also unique.  There’s nothing else like it, except perhaps the ridiculously priced “Q”, which is even more limited due to its 28mm lens.

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 1,682
Re: None.

I see cost like this.. It is only expensive if one does not see value in what it is and can do for them.   So in that way generally speaking one does not really need.

Heck the Sony 50 mm 1.8 I think the FF version is like $200 on sale  now.   I do not think it is expensive but I also did not need it when it was not on sale

IF I found I was a very casual photo taker and my use of my iPhone 11 pro was perfectly ok and i wanted something a bit better I would sell all my Sony gear and look at that Leica Q2 cost aside when i did a little research I liked what it offered vs the Sony RX-1rii etc.

And I would also give away if I could not sell 98% of my camera bag collection and it is a combo of backpacks, rollers, shoulder bags, pouches for stills and video use that I almost got a new one with each camera or travel need

I know I will sell my A73 body at some point and I am happy now with the system and look at the A74 or A7 mark 6 whatever it is, but maybe not

KAllen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,890

I just posted this in a Facebook group, it might help.

"

Just thought I would post some musings regarding the RX1R 2. Why I am comfortable with a fixed lens camera.

Many years a go in a galaxy that seams to be far far away, I started work at a local photographers soon after leaving College, we covered everything. Portraits, Weddings, PR and a lot of marine related work.

So we could be shooting a 25 year service award to boat interiors or ship launches.

What surprised me when starting there was the equipment we covered all these events with.

All done on Rolleiflex TLR cameras, sure there was a Rolleiflex 66 system, but it wasn’t very reliable, so you just took a couple of Rolleiflex out on a job, Portraits, weddings, high speed boat to boat shoots from a RIB all done on the Rollei TLR.

As a young man when I started I thought we should be using sexy Hasselblad or something that changed lenses, backs etc. I couldn’t see how you could shoot everything at 80mm.

Soon realised you can, if you know thats what you have then you know what problems need solving, how to construct a picture to fit. Needless to say I had my own 35mm system I use to shoot power boat racing with on a Thursday night. not everything can be made to fit 80mmm of coarse. But I worked at a professional business that shot everything on fixed lens TLR and the occasional Sinar Norma job.

To this day the Rolleiflex is one of my favourite cameras, surprisingly the little Sony RX1R reminds me of it. Odd comparison you might think? Well lets see, a quality compact package, fixed lens slightly wide, the ability to crop, great results. The flip up rear screen is a bit like looking into a Rollei hood….except I get confused…years of looking down at screen with the image reversed has me moving the Sony the wrong way to frame!

Sony, I also think all the work we did back then could be shot on a little RX1R 2, I really do think I could of made a living with a couple of these cameras, if they had existed. The Sony better in low light, you don’t have to reload after 12 pictures, I get B&W and Colour without needing two cameras.

Great little machine, looking forward to a mkIII should it appear, I would hope its got the new sensor for more cropping potential, the superb Sony auto focus system and is no bigger than they are now. Meantime nowt wrong with what it is."

KAllen's gear list:KAllen's gear list
Sony RX1R II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Pentax K-1 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +5 more
Group4 Contributing Member • Posts: 722

KAllen wrote:

I just posted this in a Facebook group, it might help.

"

Just thought I would post some musings regarding the RX1R 2. Why I am comfortable with a fixed lens camera.

Many years a go in a galaxy that seams to be far far away, I started work at a local photographers soon after leaving College, we covered everything. Portraits, Weddings, PR and a lot of marine related work.

So we could be shooting a 25 year service award to boat interiors or ship launches.

What surprised me when starting there was the equipment we covered all these events with.

All done on Rolleiflex TLR cameras, sure there was a Rolleiflex 66 system, but it wasn’t very reliable, so you just took a couple of Rolleiflex out on a job, Portraits, weddings, high speed boat to boat shoots from a RIB all done on the Rollei TLR.

As a young man when I started I thought we should be using sexy Hasselblad or something that changed lenses, backs etc. I couldn’t see how you could shoot everything at 80mm.

Soon realised you can, if you know thats what you have then you know what problems need solving, how to construct a picture to fit. Needless to say I had my own 35mm system I use to shoot power boat racing with on a Thursday night. not everything can be made to fit 80mmm of coarse. But I worked at a professional business that shot everything on fixed lens TLR and the occasional Sinar Norma job.

To this day the Rolleiflex is one of my favourite cameras, surprisingly the little Sony RX1R reminds me of it. Odd comparison you might think? Well lets see, a quality compact package, fixed lens slightly wide, the ability to crop, great results. The flip up rear screen is a bit like looking into a Rollei hood….except I get confused…years of looking down at screen with the image reversed has me moving the Sony the wrong way to frame!

Sony, I also think all the work we did back then could be shot on a little RX1R 2, I really do think I could of made a living with a couple of these cameras, if they had existed. The Sony better in low light, you don’t have to reload after 12 pictures, I get B&W and Colour without needing two cameras.

Great little machine, looking forward to a mkIII should it appear, I would hope its got the new sensor for more cropping potential, the superb Sony auto focus system and is no bigger than they are now. Meantime nowt wrong with what it is."

I have always said the same of the RX1R but especially the RX1R II, that it reminds me of using my old Rolleiflex.

Cheers,

David

Zaax
Zaax Senior Member • Posts: 1,280
Re: None.

Love that last shot!

-- hide signature --
 Zaax's gear list:Zaax's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +15 more
JDLaing50 Senior Member • Posts: 1,735

Yannis1976 wrote:

Hi,

I really like the concept of the Rx1r II but it’s cost is still very high even as used. I am trying to justify its buy by selling some of my Fuji lenses and cameras such as the 35/2 and my Fuji x70. What is your experience with the Rx1r II? How many cameras/lenses did you make redundant (if any) by getting this small camera?

thx

None.

JDLaing50's gear list:JDLaing50's gear list
Sony RX1R II Leica M-P (Typ 240) Olympus E-M1 III Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads