Raw developer without database / catalog ? (aka browser based)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
sergiotous Junior Member • Posts: 34
Raw developer without database / catalog ? (aka browser based)

Hi, I'm looking for a raw developer that does not require import photos into database, so I mean not having a catalog but a simple folder browser.

I know DXO and DPP fit into such category, but as Canon+Fuji shooter neither of them work for me due to the first does not read the raws from fuji and the former does not read the ones from canon.

Does any one know other software that provides such functionality?

Thanks!

sergiotous's gear list:sergiotous's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +3 more
IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 3,687
Re: Raw developer without database / catalog ? (aka browser based)

sergiotous wrote:

Hi, I'm looking for a raw developer that does not require import photos into database, so I mean not having a catalog but a simple folder browser.

I know DXO and DPP fit into such category, but as Canon+Fuji shooter neither of them work for me due to the first does not read the raws from fuji and the former does not read the ones from canon.

Thanks!

ON1 Photo Raw, ACDsee, Photo Ninja, Affinity Photo are a few to consider.

Ian

jannefoo Regular Member • Posts: 274

Bridge+ACR, Raw Therapee.

jannefoo's gear list:jannefoo's gear list
Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 14mm F1.8 Art Nikon D800 Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x +5 more
MisterBG Veteran Member • Posts: 6,915

sergiotous wrote:

Thanks!

On1

MisterBG's gear list:MisterBG's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6000 Olympus PEN-F Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
OP sergiotous Junior Member • Posts: 34

Thanks, I ll give a view to ON1. I tried Rawtherapee time ago but I found it superslow when dealing with fuji files (3-4 sec to open each image on my computer). Before I install.. does anyone know if On1 is faster?

thanks

sergiotous's gear list:sergiotous's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +3 more
thaddak Regular Member • Posts: 424

Have a look at Exposure X5.

-- hide signature --

The world is like my keyboard; nothing is under Control.

ajscullard Contributing Member • Posts: 941

Many RAW converters, including ON1 Photoraw now have some kind of catalog included so they are slow to load on the first pass. It's just the way the whole industry is going.

As always, the only real way to decide if it is OK for you is to download the trial and, well, try it.

myotisone Senior Member • Posts: 1,983

sergiotous wrote:

You don't "need" to use a database with Capture One if you don't want to.

It gives you options to use either a referenced database, a managed database, a session approach (which doesn't create a database), or a browser approach.

You need to set up a "dummy" session which you can call anything you like e.g. "photo editor" and then browse your hard drive from inside this Capture One session.

You can then edit your images without importing anything.

C1 still generates Previews and a record of the processing in sidecar files stored in the same directory as the originals.  And a 'session" file that saves preferences for the session, but nothing is imported and no database is created. But any non-database program will need to do something like this.

Apart from the cost of C1, the disadvantage is that you need to know something about how C1 works to be able to use it in this browser mode option, and it's not just as straightforward as a program designed to work this way. But, its an option.

Cheers,

Graham

jerrysdean43 Contributing Member • Posts: 903

sergiotous wrote:

Thanks!

Raw Power by https://gentlemencoders.com

Robert Snow Senior Member • Posts: 1,049

Nobody mentions Photoshop!!  That is what I have used for years.  Of course, you have to 'rent' it these days, but still, ACR handles both brands of cameras.

bob snow

plaatje Contributing Member • Posts: 708

Exposure X5 does everything i need. You might give it a look.

plaatje's gear list:plaatje's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony a7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +11 more

Robert Snow wrote:

Nobody mentions Photoshop!! That is what I have used for years. Of course, you have to 'rent' it these days, but still, ACR handles both brands of cameras.

bob snow

Well, Bridge + ACR has been noted above. That is the raw converter. Photoshop is not a raw converter, it is a file processor subsequent to ACR

Robert Snow Senior Member • Posts: 1,049

True...I normally just work in PS.  When I want to work on a raw file I simply click on the window in PS, and that allows me to browse to the file I want, double click on it, and it loads into ACR.  Since I normally finish up an image in PS I can just return the image to it without hassle.  It is just the way I have worked since way back when...of course, I hate the 'rental' version, but still use it.

bob snow

Robert Snow wrote:

True...I normally just work in PS. When I want to work on a raw file I simply click on the window in PS, and that allows me to browse to the file I want, double click on it, and it loads into ACR. Since I normally finish up an image in PS I can just return the image to it without hassle. It is just the way I have worked since way back when...of course, I hate the 'rental' version, but still use it.

bob snow

Sure, but Ps doesn't convert the raw, it always calls ACR first. The OP is talking about raw files.

I was never a fan of the subscription and held off for a long time because I didn't trust Adobe to maintain a consistently low subscription price. Eventually I caved in, and have been pleased to find that the price has only increased slightly because of exchange rates. I'm now happy with renewing the subs annually, getting regular updates and at a price that compares with the previous charges for a yearly or 18-monthly full upgrade.

pixelgenius
pixelgenius Senior Member • Posts: 3,251
Robgo2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,130

thaddak wrote:

Have a look at Exposure X5.

I strongly agree. Exposure X5 would be my choice as well. It is very powerful, yet easy to understand and use. Most importantly, the results are superior to any other raw converter that I have tried. That said, I also use ON1 for some post-conversion local edits and special effects. Why not use ON1 from start to finish? Well, I don’t think that it’s as good at the raw conversion end as Exposure.

JLGF1
JLGF1 Contributing Member • Posts: 839

MacOS or MSFT Windows?

JLGF1's gear list:JLGF1's gear list
Canon G9 X Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 12,016

sergiotous wrote:

Both DxO and DPP read Canon, and neither reads Fuji.

Not for Fuji. DxO is terrific for everything else, though.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +47 more
s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 13,305

Check SilkyPix Raw developer. I believe it works with Fuji. If you like it, do not use free version, buy Pro instead

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more
davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 5,753

sergiotous wrote:

Thanks!

I see this as a two stage process.

First you need to render the RAW file into something viewable.  I think of this as interpreting the RAW,  and need not involve a data base

Then you need software that enables you to change the appearance of the interpreted image, and that can be reapplied next time the image is accessed (of course, we know that the RAW data relating to the image will not be changed).

The point being that those changes can be associated with the RAW file directly or collectively in a "data base" (or indeed, both), but they need to be stored somewhere.  Either storage method works fine, but with different pros and cons, and depending on the product.

It helps me to think this way.

Dave

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads