Cheater...

Started Dec 8, 2019 | Discussions
OP tasad Senior Member • Posts: 1,301
Re: Cheater...
4

whisky wrote:

Great work 'tasad', it makes you wonder also how much of these images are by that person and are not ripped off from other sources?

It makes me wonder ... but  I did not find any proofs that he uses  other photographers work ...

Thanks for your efforts to expose these sad people.

Cheers.

You're welcome !

David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 3,864
Re: Cheater...
3

Apart from some self gratification cheaters might be aiming for in these challenges, I think another possible motive for their cheating could be that the cheaters know that some legitimate non cheating members do take these challenges seriously even though DPR make it very clear they do not intend members to take the challenges too seriously and instead as just an opportunity to have some fun.

The cheaters are basically just trying to thwart the legitimate attempts of non cheating members to win a challenge.

Given the obvious flaws in the voting system, I treat the challenges as just a bit of fun in the full knowledge that cheating is going on.

For me, if my entry ends up with an average star rating within 1 star of the "winner" regardless of how many entries are between it and mine then I think to myself that my image is not too bad.

 David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
whisky
whisky Senior Member • Posts: 1,919
Re: Cheater...

👍

Cheers.

 whisky's gear list:whisky's gear list
Sigma SD15 Fujifilm FinePix 6900 Zoom Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +5 more
JahnG
JahnG Senior Member • Posts: 2,981
Re: Cheater...

David1961 wrote:

Apart from some self gratification cheaters might be aiming for in these challenges, I think another possible motive for their cheating could be that the cheaters know that some legitimate non cheating members do take these challenges seriously even though DPR make it very clear they do not intend members to take the challenges too seriously and instead as just an opportunity to have some fun.

The cheaters are basically just trying to thwart the legitimate attempts of non cheating members to win a challenge.

Yes, that seems to be the case.

Given the obvious flaws in the voting system, I treat the challenges as just a bit of fun in the full knowledge that cheating is going on.

Yes.

For me, if my entry ends up with an average star rating within 1 star of the "winner" regardless of how many entries are between it and mine then I think to myself that my image is not too bad.

A reasonable way of looking at the outcome of several cases of the voting, although it is a bit sad, isn't it.

 JahnG's gear list:JahnG's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K100D Super Pentax K-r Pentax K-S1
David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 3,864
Re: Cheater...
1

The challenges are just a bit of harmless fun for me because there is nothing at all at stake.

 David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
Wildbegonia
Wildbegonia Contributing Member • Posts: 876
Re: Cheater strikes again

https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=1125951

How come this account has not been nuked yet?

https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4841397633/photos

-- hide signature --

Yee! Life is so bad, I can’t complain! (My quote)
'Balls! Said the Queen, if I'll had them, I'll be the King'.

 Wildbegonia's gear list:Wildbegonia's gear list
Pentax K200D
Photoby Regular Member • Posts: 153
Re: Cheater...
1

tasad wrote:

I've contacted Dpreview Admins and I got very quick response : all the 5 accounts are closed now ....

Then how did this happen, in just-completed Amazing Red Challenge ?

8 votes of 5.0 *? .... (along with 5 of 3.0 * and one for everything else 1.0 * and above).

Is this the "club" that votes as bloc from a recent challenge?

The #2, #3, #4 entries also got multiple 5.0 * votes, which is unusual.

OP tasad Senior Member • Posts: 1,301
Re: Cheater...
2

Photoby wrote:

tasad wrote:

I've contacted Dpreview Admins and I got very quick response : all the 5 accounts are closed now ....

Then how did this happen, in just-completed Amazing Red Challenge ?

The accounts were closed on Dec.10th 2019 . The "voting phase" in the challenge started on Dec. 9th 2019 - so ,  he had one full day to "play" with the votes... And , for sure,  he has a few  more accounts...

8 votes of 5.0 *? .... (along with 5 of 3.0 * and one for everything else 1.0 * and above).

Is this the "club" that votes as bloc from a recent challenge?

The #2, #3, #4 entries also got multiple 5.0 * votes, which is unusual.

OP tasad Senior Member • Posts: 1,301
Re: Cheater strikes again
2

Wildbegonia wrote:

https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=1125951

Looks like he  "voted" in the challenge before his accounts were banned.

How come this account has not been nuked yet?

https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/4841397633/photos

Probably it's a  glitch in the website system...

The account is closed :

https://www.dpreview.com/search/members?query=RJD13+

fferreres Veteran Member • Posts: 6,169
Re: Cheater...
2

Dak on cam wrote:

jh2bh wrote:

If tasad can find these "cheaters' why can't the folks who run this website find them? ... and kick them out?

I suspect that anyone who would cheat by having many accounts would also be inclined to cheat by giving votes of 0.5 to good challenge entries.

I find myself sometimes giving "votes of 0.5 to good challenge entries" for various reasons. I often find some of those I gave low votes to ending up higher than expected and vice versa. That's sort of the point of voting: it's supposed to average out personal leanings. If people are not allowed to vote according to their personal whims, it sort of defeats having an open vote rather than an expert jury.

I am fine with people giving one personal vote of 0.5 to good challenge entries. But it has to be one vote per person. That does not protect against mobbing, but if the typical mob size is 1, it may be a comparatively small problem. And at least political pictures (which are most likely to draw spontaneous mobs) are not welcome.

0.5 to good challenge entries. That’s just unfair and unwarranted. When I was in school, a good test may result in a C or B not and F-

David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 3,864
Re: Cheater...
2

Dak on cam wrote:

I find myself sometimes giving "votes of 0.5 to good challenge entries" for various reasons. I often find some of those I gave low votes to ending up higher than expected and vice versa. That's sort of the point of voting: it's supposed to average out personal leanings. If people are not allowed to vote according to their personal whims, it sort of defeats having an open vote rather than an expert jury.

I am fine with people giving one personal vote of 0.5 to good challenge entries. But it has to be one vote per person. That does not protect against mobbing, but if the typical mob size is 1, it may be a comparatively small problem. And at least political pictures (which are most likely to draw spontaneous mobs) are not welcome.

I can't think of a valid reason to give a good image 0.5 stars unless the aim is to attempt to manipulate the voting.

In any case you have left yourself wide open to people also giving you 0.5 if you happen to submit a "good" photo

 David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
Dak on cam
Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 5,412
Re: Cheater...

David1961 wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

I find myself sometimes giving "votes of 0.5 to good challenge entries" for various reasons. I often find some of those I gave low votes to ending up higher than expected and vice versa. That's sort of the point of voting: it's supposed to average out personal leanings. If people are not allowed to vote according to their personal whims, it sort of defeats having an open vote rather than an expert jury.

I am fine with people giving one personal vote of 0.5 to good challenge entries. But it has to be one vote per person. That does not protect against mobbing, but if the typical mob size is 1, it may be a comparatively small problem. And at least political pictures (which are most likely to draw spontaneous mobs) are not welcome.

I can't think of a valid reason to give a good image 0.5 stars unless the aim is to attempt to manipulate the voting.

Opinions of what is a "good" image may very well differ.  In particular with regard to weighing objective quality of execution with approval of subjective artistic choices.

In any case you have left yourself wide open to people also giving you 0.5 if you happen to submit a "good" photo

Voting is supposed to be anonymous.  One has to go to some effort to identify the source of images (unless there are fat watermarks in an image).  It's of course possible by viewing the original image and then digging into the EXIF.  But I consider people going to such measures as a lost cause anyway.  One can only hope that they make up enough of a minority not to tip the scales.

If someone votes consistently low for images that choose subjects and deliver execution like I do: well, that's one of the consequence of having voting.  The main defense mechanism is that most people won't do that.  And we don't really have the political propaganda machines that would try to vilify a certain style in order to shift the long-term balances.

I can live with 1 person, 1 vote.  I am not exactly drenched in popularity so I am indeed glad for the mechanisms putting up a certain threshold to breaking the anonymity of entries.  But if people want to go to efforts to breach that, they will be successful.

 Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads