Z6 questions

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
owenleve
owenleve Senior Member • Posts: 2,782
Z6 questions

Hello. I currently have two D850's and looking at the z6 for event shooting mainly for the silent mode.

Curious, for anyone that shoots with a d850 and z6. Do the images looks similar in terms of color, etc.?

Is the z6 a good camera for this type of work? Decent battery life, etc?

-- hide signature --

www.courtlevephoto.com
www.courtlevephotography.com

Nikon D850 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Barlowephoto
Barlowephoto Contributing Member • Posts: 500
Re: Z6 questions

I'm interested as well.

DavesDP New Member • Posts: 23

I have the D850 and the Z6 as well. The color is more or less identical if you shoot raw. In jpegs I feel like the D850 delivers cleaner color in mixed lighting, but the difference is pretty small unless you are super particular.
Battery life, autofocus, and silent shutter all work great on the Z6 (I use only F mount lenses on the FTZ adapter).

The big adjustment is in the EVF. I still prefer the D850, but the Z6 is a handy second or third body, and the silent shutter, or even the quiet normal shutter of the body is something that you just can’t replicate the D850.

The Z6 files look good in the end, you just have to trust the camera, even if in the EVF the image can look too contrasty, or in mixed lighting the color isn’t perfect.

owenleve
OP owenleve Senior Member • Posts: 2,782

Thanks for the input. Main interest is for less noise! Pretty much only shoot raw and figured it would be in line with other nikons.

I will be doing what you do and using f lenses with the adapter. Does the 6 focus slower when using the adapter v.c. a d850?

-- hide signature --

www.courtlevephoto.com

Peter M J Regular Member • Posts: 278

here is a shot taken in a large hall with quite low lighting The iso was high and no flash was used , hand held in raw only change in final picture was slight sharpening

best wishes

Peter

Alba74 Regular Member • Posts: 112

I have several camera, one D5, one D850 and the Z6.

In this last period, the Z6 is my favorite body, just not only because it is the new one but because perform quite well.

It is not perfect, it have some problems with the AF-C and tracking but the quality of the raw is amazing also at high ISO. I use it with great success up to ISO 32.000

I do wildlife photography and with some animals, remain silent is very important.

The sound of the D5 is very noisy, the D850 less and then the Z6 is the best, also without the silent shooting option activated because there is not the sound of the mirror that go up and down.

Please note that if you activate the silent sound, at very shots, the EWF switch off for some milliseconds, it is not so bad but also not the best if you need to track action.

In my opinion, the Z6 can work close to the D850 without any problems. When do you need the maximum resolution, the maximum dynamic range or do you need to photograph action go for the D, otherwise, the Z is the best.

The IBIS is simply amazing, I have taken some good shot at 1/40 with the 600 F4 FL handhelds!!!

Other small detail: the weight of the D850 is very close to the weight of the Z6+FTZ.

Here some of my photos: https://www.instagram.com/marco.a.74/

Kind regards

-- hide signature --

Marco

Alba74's gear list:Alba74's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
DavesDP New Member • Posts: 23

I use the cameras side by side every day, and the Z6 files have less noise than the D850, but in my experience not dramatically so. Maybe 1/2 a stop better or a bit more. If you output the D850 files to the same size as the Z6 files, I don’t really see that much of a difference. 
Autofocus on the Z6 in low light is marginally worse than the D850, but again, the difference is pretty small.

I have the Z6 for those times when I need either a silent or quieter shutter, or when I want to shoot video with good continuous autofocus.

Discombobulate Regular Member • Posts: 310

owenleve wrote:

Hello. I currently have two D850's and looking at the z6 for event shooting mainly for the silent mode.

Curious, for anyone that shoots with a d850 and z6. Do the images looks similar in terms of color, etc.?

Is the z6 a good camera for this type of work? Decent battery life, etc?

Event photos often apply flashlight but can silent mode use with flashlight, which I don't think so.  Would that defeat one of the purposes?

Discombobulate's gear list:Discombobulate's gear list
Leica M-P (Typ 240) Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Leica Summilux-M 24mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
robertfel Senior Member • Posts: 1,541

If a blinding flash doesn't distract them, a shutter won't.

I use them together. They look super close.

robertfel's gear list:robertfel's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +25 more
Discombobulate Regular Member • Posts: 310

robertfel wrote:

If a blinding flash doesn't distract them, a shutter won't.

I use them together. They look super close.

In some occasions, it's not all about whether subject person get blinded or not, it's also about other team that do filming, recording and other audiences that don't allow extra noises.  I did a photoshoot in live broadcasting scene and I had to give up using flash for the silent mode + fast lens.

Of maybe your are right, really depending on what he/she does.

Discombobulate's gear list:Discombobulate's gear list
Leica M-P (Typ 240) Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Leica Summilux-M 24mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
owenleve
OP owenleve Senior Member • Posts: 2,782

I am hired to shoot corporate events on Occassion. Sometimes in tight places. It would be wonderful to be silent.

-- hide signature --

www.courtlevephoto.com

NCB Senior Member • Posts: 1,234
Color

Re color, you've no need to worry. In my experience Nikon ILCs over the last 10 years or so produce almost identical color, even in jpegs. There's usually a slight difference with each camera, maybe evolution and the size and characteristics of the sensor, but nothing to worry about. The Z6 in this respect is fully part of the Nikon family.

NCB's gear list:NCB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D3100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads