Original a7r: an aps-c alternative?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
jimkohn Regular Member • Posts: 476
Original a7r: an aps-c alternative?

How crazy would it be to buy a used a7r in lieu of upgrading to a6600? I shoot stills, no video, and use prime lenses exclusively. I would lose IBIS, and phase detect af. I would gain second command dial, 36mp full frame sensor, 1/8000 shutter speed... And the original a7r weighs slightly LESS than the a6600.

So imagine the a7r with the Sony Zeiss 35mm f/2.8. Nice tidy package at about 20 oz’s. with 36mp of full frame resolution at 35mm, and (I’m guessing) around 20mp in crop mode for a 50mm equiv focal length. Used in good condition a7r is about $500-$700 depending...

Totally nuts?

-- hide signature --

I’m no photographer, I’m just a camera enthusiast.

jimkohn's gear list:jimkohn's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony RX100 Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +7 more
Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Off The Mark Senior Member • Posts: 3,272
Re: Original a7r: an aps-c alternative?

I don't think it is TOTALLY nuts if you would prefer the ergonomics of the a7R body over those of the a6600 and if you have a bunch of full frame lenses lying around.

Out of curiosity I wonder if there is much of a low light advantage of the original a7R over the a6600 though, as the a7R sensor is kind of old, if I recall.

-- hide signature --

What Middle School Is Really Like:
https://youtu.be/Q1Xtz5EqMuo

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
OP jimkohn Regular Member • Posts: 476

Off The Mark wrote:

I don't think it is TOTALLY nuts if you would prefer the ergonomics of the a7R body over those of the a6600 and if you have a bunch of full frame lenses lying around.

Out of curiosity I wonder if there is much of a low light advantage of the original a7R over the a6600 though, as the a7R sensor is kind of old, if I recall.

Thank you. And good question. The original A7r is about 6 year old technology now I think, so I’m curious about what I’d be giving up in order to get the 36mp full frame sensor in such a light body. Thank you again.

-- hide signature --

geminihc Regular Member • Posts: 246

yes, the a7r would have better ISO performance and higher quality images (ignoring the process of getting the image eg. focus speed, AF accuracy etc.) than the A6600 , with full frame lenses. with crop, it would be worse.

that said i had similar decision process once before and i stuck withe APSC line mainly because the EVF of the A7s really add to the bulk. as well, the lenses aren't particularly small.

if only some day there is a A7 without EVF with a line of pancakes ~f/2.8, that would be the day it would be worth moving up for me (for general purpose). for pro purposes, definately go full frame since bulk isn't a problem.

AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 59,380

the AF is pretty naff on the A7R because it`s trying to use a D810 sensor to focus, it`s contrast detect only -- but it does do the job for landscapes just fine and the image quality in RAW will comfortably beat any 20-24Mp APS-C sensor all ISOs at pixel level .

Remember - The A7R is basically a pocket sized D810 image quality wise and the D810 still holds up today as one of the finest professional DSLRs you can buy for image quality , the D850 beats it but not by a great deal and IMO nothing else in the FF DSLR world does .

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A6300-versus-Sony-A7R-versus-Sony-A7___1072_917_916

A6300 has the same sensor as the later cams so counts here

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX10 III Nikon D610 Nikon D850 Sony a7R III +1 more
MFiftysomething Contributing Member • Posts: 925

A7R2 is much better than A7R and is same price as A6600

MFiftysomething's gear list:MFiftysomething's gear list
Sony RX100 V Olympus E-M1 II Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Sony a7R III +3 more

MFiftysomething wrote:

A7R2 is much better than A7R and is same price as A6600

Yes, this seems to be the consensus. I was only considering the original a7r because at approx 15 oz's it's about the same weight as the a6500. The a6600 creeps up to 18 oz's and the a7rii, like my a7iii, is up to 22 oz's.

I know it seems I'm nitpicking to some, but for me it can be the difference between bringing a camera or not. What I'm really after is a minimum of an aps-c size sensor with a 50mm ( ff equivalent) prime lens. My a6500 with Sony 35mm f/1.8 oss is close. I thought the old a7r might give me some additional flexibility without any weight gain.

-- hide signature --

sinnerz2000 Regular Member • Posts: 312

geminihc wrote:

yes, the a7r would have better ISO performance and higher quality images (ignoring the process of getting the image eg. focus speed, AF accuracy etc.) than the A6600 , with full frame lenses. with crop, it would be worse.

that said i had similar decision process once before and i stuck withe APSC line mainly because the EVF of the A7s really add to the bulk. as well, the lenses aren't particularly small.

if only some day there is a A7 without EVF with a line of pancakes ~f/2.8, that would be the day it would be worth moving up for me (for general purpose). for pro purposes, definately go full frame since bulk isn't a problem.

Ever heard of the Sony RX1 RII? Seems to meet your requirement except that it's a fixed lens system.

sinnerz2000's gear list:sinnerz2000's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS LG V30
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 10,191

sinnerz2000 wrote:

geminihc wrote:

yes, the a7r would have better ISO performance and higher quality images (ignoring the process of getting the image eg. focus speed, AF accuracy etc.) than the A6600 , with full frame lenses. with crop, it would be worse.

Ever heard of the Sony RX1 RII? Seems to meet your requirement except that it's a fixed lens system.

But it's a 35mm fixed lens, not 50mm.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +18 more
geminihc Regular Member • Posts: 246

Digital Nigel wrote:

sinnerz2000 wrote:

geminihc wrote:

But it's a 35mm fixed lens, not 50mm.

your right, actaully i did forget about it just now. But i did compare them back then when i was comtemplating, but the focal length was too close for me. but yeh, certainly the rx1 is almost almost what i would really want (sigma fp is another one, but it's actaully quite bulky and limited lenses atm). and of course, pricing is quite abit higher with weaker AF. and its interesting now that it seems like the sony wide adapter works perfectly with the rx1, making it essentially 26mm f2 in FF.

Still, everything accounted for i really like my current combo A6300 + sig 16mm f1.4 that doesn't seemingly have any other better substitutes. its performance and quality is quite similar to 24mm f2 which is like the above, with a bonus of 4k video also. hence an rx1 wouldn't be that much different even if i had it, and might even be a "downgrade"

at least Sony is continually making small improvements to the A6xxxx line, so i can still get small improvements. but none will be all that significant.

Yes, RX 1 is not only fixed but it’s a fixed 35mm, not 50mm. Thank you though.

I’m thinking the a6500 with either the Sony 35mm f/1.8 oss or the Zeiss Batis 32mm f?1.8 are going to be about as good as it gets for compact travel at 50mm equiv. The 20mm f/2.8 can be a good fill in for when it absolutely must be that little bit smaller and more pocketable.

-- hide signature --

Sympa Senior Member • Posts: 2,127

Why not an A6000? If it is about compact and light, that thing is. A6300 and A6400 are a tad heavier I think (really noticed the difference beween A6000 and A6500).

Given that you are looking for a diference from the A7iii...

And get a Sigma 30/2.8 for small, if that is bright enough for you.

Sympa's gear list:Sympa's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +2 more
davelok
davelok Senior Member • Posts: 2,386

jimkohn wrote:

How crazy would it be to buy a used a7r in lieu of upgrading to a6600? I shoot stills, no video, and use prime lenses exclusively. I would lose IBIS, and phase detect af. I would gain second command dial, 36mp full frame sensor, 1/8000 shutter speed... And the original a7r weighs slightly LESS than the a6600.

So imagine the a7r with the Sony Zeiss 35mm f/2.8. Nice tidy package at about 20 oz’s. with 36mp of full frame resolution at 35mm, and (I’m guessing) around 20mp in crop mode for a 50mm equiv focal length. Used in good condition a7r is about $500-$700 depending...

Totally nuts?

Get a used a7Rii.

davelok's gear list:davelok's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P600 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6400 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +23 more
Sympa Senior Member • Posts: 2,127

Tha A7r had shutter shock and no electronic first curtain. Is the shutter shock also a problem hanheld, or only on tripod?

Sympa's gear list:Sympa's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads