Which fisheye? sigma 15/nikon 16/samyang 12?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Tomx72 Senior Member • Posts: 1,533
Which fisheye? sigma 15/nikon 16/samyang 12?

I need a fisheye and can't really find comparable reviews as there are good lenses from 3 decades before.

I'd use the lens mostly for astro-landscapes, good wide open performance is important: little vignetting and coma if possible at f/2.8. General sharpness, resistance to flare is also very welcome, as I am interested to use it for daylight shooting too.

The camera is a z6, but I don't need AF - practically I am fine to mount anything that has an available mount adapter.

Tomx72's gear list:Tomx72's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon Z6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon Z6 Samyang 12mm F2.8 Fisheye Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Matsu Senior Member • Posts: 2,342
Re: Which fisheye? sigma 15/nikon 16/samyang 12?

Tomx72 wrote:

I need a fisheye and can't really find comparable reviews as there are good lenses from 3 decades before.

I'd use the lens mostly for astro-landscapes, good wide open performance is important: little vignetting and coma if possible at f/2.8. General sharpness, resistance to flare is also very welcome, as I am interested to use it for daylight shooting too.

The camera is a z6, but I don't need AF - practically I am fine to mount anything that has an available mount adapter.

I've been on the fence for a fishy option myself now for some time.   One thing to keep in mind is that they all have different projections, and there is a lot of used MF stuff out there, and some older designs that may/may not be up to modern standards wide open...

I think the two that are most intriguing are:

1. Nikon's own 8-15mm zoom fisheye, which gives you the option of circular and/or full frame diagonal fisheye effects. And, it has AF if you use the FTZ... or...

2.) The Samyang/Rokinon 12mm diagonal fisheye.  It's well reviewed, also reported to have low coma for a fisheye, and has a distinct projection which lends itself well to hemispherical de-fishing...  No AF though, but not really necessary for this type of lens.

Matsu's gear list:Matsu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
OP Tomx72 Senior Member • Posts: 1,533

The Nikon 8-15 is very dark for astro at f/3.5-4.5, I'll look at the sigma and the samyang. Currently I can get the sigma cheaper second hand.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon Z6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
threw the lens
threw the lens Senior Member • Posts: 1,985

The Sigma comes from the days when Sigma was a budget lens maker. I wouldn't hope for too much from it, which is why it is cheaper than even the Samyang.

The Samyang is very good and it does have reviews. It also has a lens profile in Adobe if for some reason you want the image to look more rectilinear. I don't remember seeing flare on the Samyang. Chromatic aberration is there but not a wild amount. It responds to correction. It is sharp enough. I didn't see any real gotcha on that lens. I thought it was a bit better than their 8mm for crop sensors.

threw the lens wrote:

The Sigma comes from the days when Sigma was a budget lens maker. I wouldn't hope for too much from it, which is why it is cheaper than even the Samyang.

The Samyang is very good and it does have reviews. It also has a lens profile in Adobe if for some reason you want the image to look more rectilinear. I don't remember seeing flare on the Samyang. Chromatic aberration is there but not a wild amount. It responds to correction. It is sharp enough. I didn't see any real gotcha on that lens. I thought it was a bit better than their 8mm for crop sensors.

I think this one may be the best bang for buck, and genuinely more useful for certain applications.  I know the OP is willing to mount just about anything that has an adaptor, but the Nikon AE version comes chipped for focus confirmation and exposure/metering info, and so quite a bit more convenient to use than some off brand adaptations.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
OP Tomx72 Senior Member • Posts: 1,533

Matsu wrote:

threw the lens wrote:

I think this one may be the best bang for buck, and genuinely more useful for certain applications. I know the OP is willing to mount just about anything that has an adaptor, but the Nikon AE version comes chipped for focus confirmation and exposure/metering info, and so quite a bit more convenient to use than some off brand adaptations.

Indeed, a nikon compatible chip is a useful addition.

threw the lens
threw the lens Senior Member • Posts: 1,985

I just remembered I did create some flare/reflection spots when shooting right into sunny cloud, but they were maybe only 2-3% of the frame width. The flare doesn't kill the contrast over a wide portion of the frame like some other lenses.

I was also surprised how accurately the Adobe correction defishes it. Though you lose resolution at the extremes of the frame because it's stretched so much.

I find stereographic projection boring compared to equisolid ones and circular fisheyes. I think it's good to have these choices though.

RBFresno
RBFresno Forum Pro • Posts: 12,719

Tomx72 wrote:

The Nikon 8-15 is very dark for astro at f/3.5-4.5,

Agree.

I have the Nikon 8-15 and also the older (DX) 10.5

Having f/2.8 for astro makes a difference   avoiding unwanted star trails and higher ISO's.

Because of this, I find myself typically favoring the faster but less wide non-fish-eye 14-24 for Milky Way type shots.

Best Regards,

RB

I'll look at the sigma and the samyang. Currently I can get the sigma cheaper second hand.

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +17 more
Kenster63 Forum Member • Posts: 89

Tomx72 wrote:

The only fisheye I have any experience with is the Sigma 15mm, which came highly recommended to me by another photographer. I got it used for $285 US and am very pleased with it. I don't worry too much about having f/2.8 for astro because I take lots of short, high ISO pictures at f/4 to f/5.6 and stack them with Sequator. Here are a couple of astro shots and one in daylight.

-- hide signature --

Life is short. Spend as much time as you can quibbling with strangers on the Internet.

Kenster63's gear list:Kenster63's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro +7 more

threw the lens wrote:

I was also surprised how accurately the Adobe correction defishes it. Though you lose resolution at the extremes of the frame because it's stretched so much.

I find stereographic projection boring compared to equisolid ones and circular fisheyes. I think it's good to have these choices though.

This is good to note. I’m not sure that everyone is aware that fisheye lenses have different projections.  There are a few good tutorials online on the differences.  What makes the Samyang/Rokinon 12mm boring (arguably) I think also makes it a little safer more versatile for generalist photography. While it takes in a similar diagonal field of view as 15/16mm counterparts, it is a shorter focal length. The centre appears less bulgy, pushed farther back, and the extreme edges less wrapped. Straight lines, especially through the centre, are less curved. You won’t mistake it for a rectilinear lens, but for some shots, and with some subjects it can look both wider and less distorted than the widest rectilinear, especially with strong foreground objects off centre - something rectilinear lenses always stretch.

RBFresno

Kenster63 wrote:

Tomx72 wrote:

The only fisheye I have any experience with is the Sigma 15mm, which came highly recommended to me by another photographer. I got it used for $285 US and am very pleased with it. I don't worry too much about having f/2.8 for astro because I take lots of short, high ISO pictures at f/4 to f/5.6 and stack them with Sequator. Here are a couple of astro shots and one in daylight.

HI!

Thanks for the tip about Sequator..

I have limited experience with milky way shots and have usually used 25 sec exposures at ISO 3200.

Much appreciated!

RB

Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +17 more

RBFresno wrote:

Kenster63 wrote:

Tomx72 wrote:

HI!

Thanks for the tip about Sequator..

I have limited experience with milky way shots and have usually used 25 sec exposures at ISO 3200.

Much appreciated!

RB

You’re welcome! I’ve stacked as many as 35 +- images taken at around f/4 and ISOs as high as 12800 and gotten nice, clean astro images — much better than can be done with  one image taken with a larger aperture.

-- hide signature --

Life is short. Spend as much time as you can quibbling with strangers on the Internet.

Nikon D300S Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro +7 more

RB, here is a Sequator stack of 35 photos taken with the first lens I ever owned, a 50mm Nikkor f/1.8 AI. Each frame was f/2.8, 5 seconds, and ISO 12800. I think stopping down a little from wide open helps image quality in many instances.

-- hide signature --

RBFresno

Kenster63 wrote:

RB, here is a Sequator stack of 35 photos taken with the first lens I ever owned, a 50mm Nikkor f/1.8 AI. Each frame was f/2.8, 5 seconds, and ISO 12800. I think stopping down a little from wide open helps image quality in many instances.

HI!

Looks really nice.

Looking forward to giving Sequator a try!

Thanks again,

RB

Thanks, RB. Have fun! I checked out your two links and am very impressed by your photos. Great work!

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads