Get rid of circle in Live View Focus 5d iv

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
tsinsf Contributing Member • Posts: 676
Get rid of circle in Live View Focus 5d iv

I changed some settings and now have a circle the middle of my Live View screen and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. Can anybody help? Thanks.

tsinsf's gear list:tsinsf's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bestwun2
Bestwun2 New Member • Posts: 14
Re: Get rid of circle in Live View Focus 5d iv

The only circle I've seen is for Spot metering?

1Dx4me Senior Member • Posts: 7,841

tsinsf wrote:

I changed some settings and now have a circle the middle of my Live View screen and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. Can anybody help? Thanks.

when all else fails, read the manual

-- hide signature --

You miss 100 percent of the shots you didn't take!!! "Wayne Gretzky"

OP tsinsf Contributing Member • Posts: 676

1Dx4me wrote:

tsinsf wrote:

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. Circle in the middle of my Live View screen is not in the index and after twenty minutes looking for help I gave up.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
HeikkiS Junior Member • Posts: 46

tsinsf wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

tsinsf wrote:

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. Circle in the middle of my Live View screen is not in the index and after twenty minutes looking for help I gave up.

I have found that in some cases Douglas Klostermann's 5DIV guide is quite helpful.

During both Spot and Partail Metering there is a Circle in the LV.

HeikkiS's gear list:HeikkiS's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
Holscen Contributing Member • Posts: 654
More detail please...

....is it anything like this problem with a sigma lens?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4227550

Holscen's gear list:Holscen's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +4 more
meigas New Member • Posts: 16

There's always one!

Johnbro Regular Member • Posts: 225

HeikkiS wrote:

tsinsf wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

tsinsf wrote:

I have found that in some cases Douglas Klostermann's 5DIV guide is quite helpful.

During both Spot and Partail Metering there is a Circle in the LV.

This.

Turn on LV. Press the Q button and select different metering modes. You'll see the two middle ones (Spot and Partial) outline the metering zone with a circle (so you know what you are metering on). Evaluative and center-weighted use the entire image area, so no circle is needed or shown.

Johnbro's gear list:Johnbro's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +13 more
Mika Y.
Mika Y. Senior Member • Posts: 1,295

tsinsf wrote:

Can you share a photo of the screen to show what the circle looks like? Other than the circles already mentioned for some metering modes I can't think of anything I've seen, but seeing what it looks like exactly could help.

Mika Y.'s gear list:Mika Y.'s gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +14 more
CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 6,744

Have you tried resetting the camera to all the factory default settings?

By the way, you're not thinking of the electronic level which has a circle in it?

OP tsinsf Contributing Member • Posts: 676

OP here. Thanks for all the responses. The problem is solved. As suggested above, I had somehow switched from evaluative to spot metering, which creates the circle. I switched back to evaluative metering and the circle is gone.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads