ILC with IBIS and Weather Sealing?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
OP Mike VA USMC New Member • Posts: 2
Re: ILC with IBIS and Weather Sealing?

Thank you all for your wonderful perspectives and advice!  You are right that I won't be taking pictures in heavy rain and probably don't really need true weather-sealing (IPx rating like the Oly em5.3 has. I could always carry a camera rain sleeve, as suggested, if worried.  Or, have one child hold an umbrella for me so I'm dry while I take a few pics of the other child playing soccer.  It was mostly just insurance for when I'm out at a park, beach, pool, winery, soccer and it rains that I don't need to freak-out that the $1500+ USD I just spent is wasted because it got a little wet.

I just saw the Sony a6600 listed for the same price @ $1200 USD (body).  So, I will look into each and pick one.  The Sony has a larger sensor, more megapixels and better autofocus, but has issues will rolling shutter and is 1/3 Lbs heavier.  Olympus seems to have lighter and less expensive lenses and low rolling shutter.  Might be a no-brainer for you all, but I'm new at this.  At this point though, I don't think I could go wrong with either.  I need to find them in a store and hold each to get a better sense of the ergonomics, menus, weight, etc.

Thank you all for the advice!

zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 32,473

Mike VA USMC wrote:

Thank you all for your wonderful perspectives and advice! You are right that I won't be taking pictures in heavy rain and probably don't really need true weather-sealing (IPx rating like the Oly em5.3 has. I could always carry a camera rain sleeve, as suggested, if worried. Or, have one child hold an umbrella for me so I'm dry while I take a few pics of the other child playing soccer. It was mostly just insurance for when I'm out at a park, beach, pool, winery, soccer and it rains that I don't need to freak-out that the $1500+ USD I just spent is wasted because it got a little wet.

The one thing to remember, no matter how 'weather sealed' or 'waterproof' a camera may be listed as, NONE of the manufacturers will replace your camera if it's damaged from water intrusion.  So there's no 'guarantee' when it comes to weather-sealed, just some that may be better than others.

As others have pointed out too - most cameras can handle a little rainfall - and ones with some claims to moderate moisture and dust sealing can take even more.  But one drop getting in just the wrong spot through exceedingly bad luck can still take down any camera.  A good rain sleeve will allow you to keep shooting even in a sudden downpour, even with a non-sealed camera.

I just saw the Sony a6600 listed for the same price @ $1200 USD (body). So, I will look into each and pick one. The Sony has a larger sensor, more megapixels and better autofocus, but has issues will rolling shutter and is 1/3 Lbs heavier. Olympus seems to have lighter and less expensive lenses and low rolling shutter. Might be a no-brainer for you all, but I'm new at this. At this point though, I don't think I could go wrong with either.

Agreed there.  Most current new models from most manufacturers are going to meet and likely exceed the needs of 90% of the people who buy them - they're all quite good today...and if you're relatively new to photography and videography, you'll likely have far more functionality than you actually need or use with any of these newer bodies.  Let how they feel to you, the price they go for, and whether a particular standout feature or lens might make one the best choice, and go with that.  Regardless of the level of weather sealing, you likely aren't going to be pushing the limits by spending days out half-submerged in a river during rainy season shooting hippos in Africa, which is where you'd really need serious water protection.  A rain sleeve on any body will be excellent insurance, and a simple blot-dry with a towel or cloth after the camera does get wet, to remove the standing water as quickly as possible, and before opening any doors or removing any lenses, will decrease your odds of a failure.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a6600 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +24 more
scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,130

Mike VA USMC wrote:

Hello all! I'm about to make a jump into the ILC world and need some help narrowing down which cameras to look at. I'm trying to find a camera with IBIS and true weather sealing...not just sealed from moisture and dust. I need to be able to use in the rain. I'm not seeing much out there when using DPR's camera feature search tool. I'll be taking pictures of my children playing sports, landscape, macro shots, and family photos, travel...not for any pro usage.

Can't seem to find many weather-sealed cameras with IBIS. There's the new Oly m5iii, but what else? I'd like to stay under $2000. Is the Panasonic GH5 too old now? Not supported? Anything else? I don't have any brand preference since I'll be new to the ILC world.

Thanks in advance for your help!

In the real world, weather sealing however defined, whether true or claimed is useless.  You can use any camera in the rain.  Will something bad happen with water intrusion?  Who knows.  I've shot in a lot of rain and cover lens and camera and carry a towel to wipe off large drops.  Covers are cheap.  Use them in the rain or just roll the dice.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
sluggy_warrior Senior Member • Posts: 2,226

Mike VA USMC wrote:

Thank you all for your wonderful perspectives and advice! You are right that I won't be taking pictures in heavy rain and probably don't really need true weather-sealing (IPx rating like the Oly em5.3 has. I could always carry a camera rain sleeve, as suggested, if worried. Or, have one child hold an umbrella for me so I'm dry while I take a few pics of the other child playing soccer. It was mostly just insurance for when I'm out at a park, beach, pool, winery, soccer and it rains that I don't need to freak-out that the $1500+ USD I just spent is wasted because it got a little wet.

With that definition of weather resistant/sealing, be sure to check out Fuji X-H1, Fuji also have several lenses with WR.

https://photographylife.com/reviews/fuji-x-h1/2

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads