Gimbal Head for Sony 100-400 GM?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
hms917 Regular Member • Posts: 267
Gimbal Head for Sony 100-400 GM?

Does anyone use a Gimbal head of the Sony 100-400 GM, or do you just hand hold?  For long periods and wildlife, maybe good to have?  Any suggestions on some lightweight, not too expensive gimbal heads?

 hms917's gear list:hms917's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +1 more
PWPhotography Veteran Member • Posts: 9,284
Re: Gimbal Head for Sony 100-400 GM?

hms917 wrote:

Does anyone use a Gimbal head of the Sony 100-400 GM, or do you just hand hold? For long periods and wildlife, maybe good to have? Any suggestions on some lightweight, not too expensive gimbal heads?

I hand-held FE 10-400 GM several hours without issue in airshow events. Believe gimbal head is overkilled for this lens that is relative light. I will try 200-600 G (in backordered status in B&H) in next year airshow that will be a bit challenge as it's much heavier.

Edit - just see my order of 200-600 G now in stock in B&H and order sent to warehouse.  Will get soon.  I already bought Lenscoat for this lens in the 20% off Back Friday deal.

 PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
OP hms917 Regular Member • Posts: 267
Re: Gimbal Head for Sony 100-400 GM?

PWPhotography wrote:

hms917 wrote:

Does anyone use a Gimbal head of the Sony 100-400 GM, or do you just hand hold? For long periods and wildlife, maybe good to have? Any suggestions on some lightweight, not too expensive gimbal heads?

I hand-held FE 10-400 GM several hours without issue in airshow events. Believe gimbal head is overkilled for this lens that is relative light. I will try 200-600 G (in backordered status in B&H) in next year airshow that will be a bit challenge as it's much heavier.

Edit - just see my order of 200-600 G now in stock in B&H and order sent to warehouse. Will get soon. I already bought Lenscoat for this lens in the 20% off Back Friday deal.

Yeah, have been hand holding for hours too.  Makes sense and when I shoot BIF, seems a no brainer.  Thanks.

 hms917's gear list:hms917's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +1 more
GundamRX91
GundamRX91 Regular Member • Posts: 110
Re: Gimbal Head for Sony 100-400 GM?

I Always use a gimbal head, with my two tele-lens (100-400mm and 300mm f/2.8), in order to be more comfortable. I've got a Photoseiki TB101 (if you're interested, you can read my review of it here ), when I'm in my blind, but I use a monopod in the other situations.

-- hide signature --
 GundamRX91's gear list:GundamRX91's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony 300mm F2.8 G SSM II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +5 more
chrisrabe Senior Member • Posts: 1,921
Re: Gimbal Head for Sony 100-400 GM?

hms917 wrote:

Does anyone use a Gimbal head of the Sony 100-400 GM, or do you just hand hold? For long periods and wildlife, maybe good to have? Any suggestions on some lightweight, not too expensive gimbal heads?

I always handhold the 100-400mm, and just spent for days with 200-600mm all handheld.

 chrisrabe's gear list:chrisrabe's gear list
Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 +4 more
OP hms917 Regular Member • Posts: 267
Re: Gimbal Head for Sony 100-400 GM?

GundamRX91 wrote:

I Always use a gimbal head, with my two tele-lens (100-400mm and 300mm f/2.8), in order to be more comfortable. I've got a Photoseiki TB101 (if you're interested, you can read my review of it here ), when I'm in my blind, but I use a monopod in the other situations.

Makes sense if you are in a blind or just waiting anywhere for certaun wildlife.  Thanks for the suggestion and review!

 hms917's gear list:hms917's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +1 more
Phil Shaw Regular Member • Posts: 369
Re: Gimbal Head for Sony 100-400 GM?

The problem with using a 100-400 on a gimbal head is that as you change the focal length of the lens the point of balance changes, so you have to keep adjusting/locking the gimbal arm.

nebulla Senior Member • Posts: 1,489
Re: Gimbal Head for Sony 100-400 GM?

chrisrabe wrote:

hms917 wrote:

Does anyone use a Gimbal head of the Sony 100-400 GM, or do you just hand hold? For long periods and wildlife, maybe good to have? Any suggestions on some lightweight, not too expensive gimbal heads?

I always handhold the 100-400mm, and just spent for days with 200-600mm all handheld.

Like others have said, you don't need a Gimbal for this lens. You would be better off getting a Monopod if you find it uncomfortable to hold.

 nebulla's gear list:nebulla's gear list
Sony a7 III Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
GundamRX91
GundamRX91 Regular Member • Posts: 110
Re: Gimbal Head for Sony 100-400 GM?

Phil Shaw wrote:

The problem with using a 100-400 on a gimbal head is that as you change the focal length of the lens the point of balance changes, so you have to keep adjusting/locking the gimbal arm.

You're right, but generally is not a big deal when you're waiting in a blind 

-- hide signature --
 GundamRX91's gear list:GundamRX91's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony 300mm F2.8 G SSM II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +5 more
OP hms917 Regular Member • Posts: 267
Re: Gimbal Head for Sony 100-400 GM?
  •  Phil Shaw wrote:

The problem with using a 100-400 on a gimbal head is that as you change the focal length of the lens the point of balance changes, so you have to keep adjusting/locking the gimbal arm.

Good point!

 hms917's gear list:hms917's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads