Attaching camera body instead of lens collar to tripod?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
ZodiacPhoto
ZodiacPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,796
Attaching camera body instead of lens collar to tripod?

How would you understand this suggestion from Sony  (last suggestion on that page):

- Are there things I can do to obtain a sharper image when shooting using a tripod?

If using heavy lens, to prevent camera shake, fix the camera itself with a tripod or monopod, instead of using just a tripod-mounting collar for the lens.

Do they suggest that it is better to mount the camera body on the tripod, instead of the lens collar (if the re is one)? Or there is a way to attach BOTH camera body and lens collar to the tripod, with a long plate or something similar?

-- hide signature --
 ZodiacPhoto's gear list:ZodiacPhoto's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX100 VI Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7R II
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 15,349
Re: Attaching camera body instead of lens collar to tripod?

When you mount the camera with a heavy lens directly on the the ball head the weight of the lens produces a lever arm that pulls the lens down. The tripod mounting system can then creep so your image is no longer properly composed or it can even fail, resulting in the camera rotating downward until it is pointing at the ground.  I have had both things happen.

The idea of using a lens collar is that the camera and lens are mounted with the center of gravity over the tripod.   This eliminates the lever arm so that the tripod mounting is stable.

Unfortunately mounting at the center of gravity makes that point a pivot point around which the camera can move so that camera shake is magnified.

The best answer is to mount with the lens collar and use a 2-second or longer shutter delay to allow any shake from the shutter to decay away.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 5DS R & 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +9 more
HRC2016 Senior Member • Posts: 5,199

Good advice there.

On a related note, avoid the pistol grips that screw on to your len's tripod mount. They don't work.

Your len's tripod mount is positioned for when there is nothing supporting the body. With a pistol grip you use two hands, including one to hold the body.

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +2 more
Ellis Vener
Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 12,675

ZodiacPhoto wrote:

How would you understand this suggestion from Sony (last suggestion on that page):

- Are there things I can do to obtain a sharper image when shooting using a tripod?

If using heavy lens, to prevent camera shake, fix the camera itself with a tripod or monopod, instead of using just a tripod-mounting collar for the lens.

Do they suggest that it is better to mount the camera body on the tripod, instead of the lens collar (if the re is one)? Or there is a way to attach BOTH camera body and lens collar to the tripod, with a long plate or something similar?

There are ways to support both a camera and a long lens. Usually the lens mounts to the tripod because with small format cameras and long telephoto lens is usually heavier, and there is a secondary support for the camera body

The first I encountered the idea of support both a lens and a camera body it was in a book on photography technique by Andreas Feininger that I borrowed from a photographer I worked for.AF wrote he used a bipod attached to a tripod when using a telephoto lens on his 4x5 view camera. In that case the body of the camera mounted on a the tripod and the bipod supported the front of the lens.

i have used a couple methods to support both a big lens and a camera body simultaneously. One method is to use a Manfrotto Magic Arm supporting the camera on one end and the other end there is a Manfrotto SuperClamp attached to the tripod. With this set up I’ve also draped a small sandbag over the lens to absolutely kill vibration. The problem with this setup is once it is set plan on not changing the position of the camera rapidly.

The other solution is a long rail that supports the camera body on one end and at the other end there is a “Y” shaped support to hold up the front lens. More practically the lenses tripod mount is mounted to the rail and the “Y” support holds up the front end of the lens. The advantage of this set up is that it is easy to rotate the camera and lens to level the roll angle or go from “landscape” to “portrait orientation.

For maximum stability use either a cable release or an electronic wireless release to snap the shutter. With very long lenses these days I use the last technique and the rail is mounted to a  fluid type tripod head designed for video work.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
To see my work please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on instagram @therealellisv

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +1 more
David5833 Senior Member • Posts: 1,264

Not that it proves anything, but I can't remember ever reading that advice or seeing anyone doing that with a long lens. In any case, I'd rather use the collar and have it all balanced better, especially if using a ball head, and it probably wouldn't work at all on a gimbal.

David5833's gear list:David5833's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7500 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +12 more
NancyP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,430
long lens support?

Photo of an example of a lens barrel support attachment for a supertelephoto lens:

http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/product-p/llsp-n200-500-1.htm

You always want your gear's center of gravity to be over the center axis of the tripod, in order to achieve maximal stability.

I don't have a lens long and heavy enough to bother using the setup above. My largest lens is 10" long and 2.5 pounds (a 400mm f5.6). I just use an Arca-type rail attached to its lens foot, and slide it back and forth until I reach the center of gravity on my gimbal setup.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
ZodiacPhoto
OP ZodiacPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 2,796
 ZodiacPhoto's gear list:ZodiacPhoto's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX100 VI Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7R II
Ellis Vener

ZodiacPhoto wrote:

Ellis Vener wrote:

https://siruiprofessionaltripods.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/vh350_5.jpg

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images500x500/Manfrotto_359_359_Long_Lens_Support_554349.jpg

https://www.proaim.be/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/960x/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/m/o/movofilms-hunt-lens-support.jpg

https://www.guyedwardes.com/images/uploads/articles/1593/articlespage006-2__standard.jpg

https://4.img-dpreview.com/files/p/TS560x560~forums/51926897/2b2c7eb48d75407d9149583e8477bbde

Thanks Ellis,

I've never seen these contraptions used with my own eyes. Also, my longest lens is PanaLeica 100-400mm, it is not heavy or large enough to warrant such support.

You’re welcome. The last time I used mine (I have the Really Right Stuff version because I already owned an RRS CB-10 heavy duty rail as part of my panorama and macro kit) was with a Sigma  50-600mm on a Canon EOS 5DS. They are most useful for filming video or when photographing stills in low light. Some cinema cameras and lenses require them because the lenses can be massive and the production can’t have the image jiggling as that ruins continuity.  In my experience these rigs are best used with fluid damped video heads.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener

Those are examples of stabilizing the lens and the camera body as more or less a single unit, not examples where the camera body is fixed on the tripod with a heavy lens. I have used a long Arca-type base plate with a cut-up eraser wedged between the plate and a fixed part of the lens to make a DIY version of those kinds of rigs and it seems to help. However, that is not what Sony appeared to be advising when they said to use the camera socket instead of the lens collar.

Nikon D810 Nikon D7500 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +12 more
Ellis Vener

However, that is not what Sony appeared to be advising when they said to use the camera socket instead of the lens collar.

Using the camera’s tripod mount instead of a lenses is not how I read Sony’s advice:

• If using heavy lens, to prevent camera shake, fix the camera itself with a tripod or monopod, instead of using just a tripod-mounting collar for the lens.”

the operative word there is “just”. It would have been much clearer if Sony had used the word “only” instead of “just”.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener

Ellis Vener wrote:

However, that is not what Sony appeared to be advising when they said to use the camera socket instead of the lens collar.

Using the camera’s tripod mount instead of a lenses is not how I read Sony’s advice:

• If using heavy lens, to prevent camera shake, fix the camera itself with a tripod or monopod, instead of using just a tripod-mounting collar for the lens.”

the operative word there is “just”. It would have been much clearer if Sony had used the word “only” instead of “just”.

My take was "fix camera itself...instead of using tripod collar" and that didn't make sense.

Ellis Vener

Probably because it doesn't make sense.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener

jan pawlak Contributing Member • Posts: 593

My way of mounting a long lens on a tripod

And a picture from such a set, windy weather, 4 sec

Sharp enough, I think

jan pawlak's gear list:jan pawlak's gear list
Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony a7R III Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Zeiss Batis 40mm F2 CF
Ellis Vener

Yes that is how most of us still photographers do it. It certainly how I mostly do it

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener

TheBlackGrouse
TheBlackGrouse Senior Member • Posts: 3,142

Quote: If using heavy lens, to prevent camera shake, fix the camera itself with a tripod or monopod, instead of using just a tripod-mounting collar for the lens.

If using heavy lens, to ruin your bayonet mount, fix the camera itself.

They are talking about a heavy lens. Admittedly, it is very rare that a lens will fall on the ground but metal fatigue is the problem.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse
Active Outdoor Photographer

PerTulip Senior Member • Posts: 1,166

I guess since Sony also makes video cameras, where it's common to support both the lens and the camera....this made it into the manual. Yes, there are contraptions that allow you to support both the DSLR and the lens collar....no, never saw any difference.

PerTulip's gear list:PerTulip's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
moficera Regular Member • Posts: 337

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

Quote: If using heavy lens, to prevent camera shake, fix the camera itself with a tripod or monopod, instead of using just a tripod-mounting collar for the lens.

They are talking about a heavy lens. Admittedly, it is very rare that a lens will fall on the ground but metal fatigue is the problem.

It says to use two independent supports for the lens and camera. With one tripod you have one pivot point for all vibrations, with a second support it is much more stable.

moficera's gear list:moficera's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +11 more
TheBlackGrouse
TheBlackGrouse Senior Member • Posts: 3,142

moficera wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

It says to use two independent supports for the lens and camera. With one tripod you have one pivot point for all vibrations, with a second support it is much more stable.

Fair enough but it's not what the OP mentioned.

The first replies were about vibrations and balance, the metal fatigue was not mentioned. That said my reply was a bit late 

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse
Active Outdoor Photographer

moficera Regular Member • Posts: 337

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

moficera wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

Fair enough but it's not what the OP mentioned.

The first replies were about vibrations and balance, the metal fatigue was not mentioned. That said my reply was a bit late

Its how to read it. As Ellis Vener pointed out it's about the little word 'just'.

'If using heavy lens, to prevent camera shake, fix the camera itself with a tripod or monopod, instead of using just a tripod-mounting collar for the lens.'

moficera's gear list:moficera's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads