Going from Mojave/Lightroom 6 to Catalina/Lightroom Clasic

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
digigobler Regular Member • Posts: 123
Going from Mojave/Lightroom 6 to Catalina/Lightroom Clasic

I've read as many threads on this subject but haven't found one that specifically addresses this particular circumstance.

I’m currently using Lightroom 6 and Photoshop 6 on a 15" 2017 MacBook Pro loaded with OS 10.14 Mojave. I will be buying a new 16" MacBook Pro that will be preloaded with OS 10.15 Catalina.

I know that the 32 bit application manager(s) associated with Lightroom 6 and Photoshop 6 will not work on OS 10.15 Catalina. I intend to purchase a Lightroom Classic and Photoshop subscription from Adobe (sigh).

I intend to migrate my data from the old MacBook Pro to the new MacBook Pro via Time Machine after I upgrade the old MacBook Pro to OS 10.15 Catalina. I'm told that migration via Time Machine requires that both computers have the same operating system for it to work correctly.

My two questions are::

Since the Lightroom 6 and Photoshop 6 application(s) manager run 32 bit and the uninstaller application will presumably not work under Catalina, do I need to uninstall Lightroom 6 and Photoshop 6 while in Mojave BEFORE upgrading the 15" MBP to Catalina?

After I switch to subscription based Lightroom Classic will all previous rendered images from Lightroom 6 appear as they did before in the (new) Lightroom Classic Library and Develop Modules? Will the Lightroom Classic (subscription) application recognize the .xmp side car files created with Lightroom 6?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers.

Steve

digigobler's gear list:digigobler's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR
mbloof
mbloof Senior Member • Posts: 1,400
Re: Going from Mojave/Lightroom 6 to Catalina/Lightroom Clasic

I think that you might find that LR 6.14 will run on 10.15.1

My old 2013 vintage 13" MBP was recently upgraded to 10.15.1 and LR works mostly fine. On my newer 2019 13" MBP (came with Catalina) I did a fresh install of LR 6.14 without any issues.

-- hide signature --

(insert brag sheet here)
A sampling of my images are in my DPR gallery
Technologist @ Large
- Mark0

mbloof's gear list:mbloof's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +12 more
OP digigobler Regular Member • Posts: 123

Humm... Very interesting. Thanks for the reply.

Steve

Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 6,564

digigobler wrote:

I've read as many threads on this subject but haven't found one that specifically addresses this particular circumstance.

I’m currently using Lightroom 6 and Photoshop 6 on a 15" 2017 MacBook Pro loaded with OS 10.14 Mojave. I will be buying a new 16" MacBook Pro that will be preloaded with OS 10.15 Catalina.

I know that the 32 bit application manager(s) associated with Lightroom 6 and Photoshop 6 will not work on OS 10.15 Catalina. I intend to purchase a Lightroom Classic and Photoshop subscription from Adobe (sigh).

I intend to migrate my data from the old MacBook Pro to the new MacBook Pro via Time Machine after I upgrade the old MacBook Pro to OS 10.15 Catalina. I'm told that migration via Time Machine requires that both computers have the same operating system for it to work correctly.

Since the Lightroom 6 and Photoshop 6 application(s) manager run 32 bit and the uninstaller application will presumably not work under Catalina, do I need to uninstall Lightroom 6 and Photoshop 6 while in Mojave BEFORE upgrading the 15" MBP to Catalina?

After I switch to subscription based Lightroom Classic will all previous rendered images from Lightroom 6 appear as they did before in the (new) Lightroom Classic Library and Develop Modules? Will the Lightroom Classic (subscription) application recognize the .xmp side car files created with Lightroom 6?

Steve

I believe that you can migrate from say a TM backup of Mojave to a new machine with Catalina. There's a good description here: https://blog.macsales.com/55314-how-to-use-migration-assistant-with-macos-catalina/

As they note, it helps to have your old machine up to date, and clear out junk if you can. I might try to see if the old Lr comes over; it's the support files IIRC that are 32 bit. It might work, although I'd check around to see if it's the authentication process that causes the problem. I generally deauthorize applications before transferring to the new machine so I don't have to keep going back to the old machine to do so, or forget to do so.

Or just do the subscription and leave Lr 6 behind. Maybe start with it now before you migrate, on the old machine. In any case all your stuff is in the catalog, and you'll just open that and it gets converted by Lr Classic. Do NOT reimport; that would be a mess. And yes, it recognizes XMP files (but again, it shouldn't have to mess with them if you just copy your catalog and continue using that).

-- hide signature --

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
— Edgar Degas

robgendreau's gear list:robgendreau's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW
JPAlbert Contributing Member • Posts: 753

OP wrote:
" I'm told that migration via Time Machine requires that both computers have the same operating system for it to work correctly."

You were "told" wrong.
That's all there is to that.

If you follow my guide, you'll have a successful migration:
I guarantee a success rate of 98%:
PRINT OUT these instructions and check them off as you go along.

1. BEFORE you do anything else, run a "final" backup on your old Mac. Use an external drive for this. It can be either TM or a cloned backup using CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper. I prefer CCC.
I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO NOT USE TM AS YOUR "MIGRATION EXTERNAL DRIVE". INSTEAD, USE EITHER CCC OR SD. Things will go better this way!
2. Shut down the old Mac and disconnect the external drive
3. Take the new Mac out of the box and set it up on the table. DO NOT PRESS THE POWER ON BUTTON until step 8 (read on). You don't want to begin setup until "the right moment".
4. If you're using an external display, connect the display using the usb-c/VGA adapter/cable that you have
5. Connect the keyboard and mouse if you use them. I STRONGLY SUGGEST that you connect them DIRECTLY to the Mac.
6. If you use a hub, leave it DISCONNECTED for now
7. Connect your backup drive -- use a usb-c adapter if needed.

OK, we're ready-to-go, so let's get goin':
8. Press the power on button for the first time.
9. The new Mac may ask for help "finding" the keyboard, just follow instructions.
10. Begin setup. At the appropriate moment, setup assistant will ask if you wish to migrate from another Mac or drive. YES, you want to do this.
11. "Aim" setup assistant at the external backup. Setup assistant will need a little time to "digest it all". BE PATIENT and give setup assistant the time it needs.
12. You will now see a list of things that can be migrated, such as applications, accounts, settings and data.
13. I suggest that you select ALL of them.
14. Let setup assistant "do its thing". It's going to TAKE A WHILE to move things over. Again, be patient. If you have a lot "of stuff", it will take a lot of time!
15. When done, you should see the login screen. Go ahead and login.
16. Once logged in, things should look pretty much as they looked on your old Mac.
17. You should check all your apps. Some may not run, and may require upgrading.
18. You can set aside the old backup, or ... "repurpose it" to become the backup for the new Mac. I'd keep the old one around for a week or so, at least.

Thanks robgendreau and JPAlbert for their indepth replys! I would like to remain with Lr6 and CS6 as I upgrade to Catalina with my new MBP but in reality it seems an iffy proposition. With that said and with much consideration ( and as much as it galls me), I think what I will do is upgrade to the monthly subscription Lightroom Classic / Photoshop while still on the old MBP running Mojave. Then uninstall Lr6 and CS6 after making sure the subscription editions work okay. After that I will upgrade to Catalina on the old MBP and update Time Machine. When the new MBP arrives I'll then migrate everything from the old MBP to the new MBP via Time Machine. Guess I should have figured this out before asking the original question. I tried to get answers from Adobe Support but just got gob·ble·dy·gook in return...

Steve

e_Phil New Member • Posts: 4

I myself don't migrate from one machine to another.  As one has already said, its good practice to make sure you're old machine is clear of junk before you migrate via TimeMachine.

What I like to do is clean install all applications that I use, on the new machine, and only transfer files that are needed.  I tend to install applications that I use once or twice to give them a try but never delete them.  This process helps eliminate all the junk, unused applications and messy folder structures (if you not very organized).  Sure takes a bit longer, but again, helps rid  your computer of anything unnecessary.

I can't comment on the workings LR and PS v6 on Catalina, however, LR Classic will read your files/sidecar xmp files just fine.

~ ePhil

Hey thanks a lot e_Phil, sounds like great advice!

Steve

Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 12,122

digigobler wrote:

That's news to me. I'm pretty sure I've migrated from TM when upgrading macOS, though I've also migrated from a clone.

Steve

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +49 more

Well that's what a representative at Apple Support told me. She said that if the latest Time Machine update was made with Mojave on the old MBP and you attempted to migrate data to new MBP that was already installed with Catalina there would be problems. Now she did say that I have the option to migrate the data with Time Machine (Mojave) to the new MBP with Catalina by going into recovery mode (command-R at startup with Time Machine plugged into new MBP), but the new MBP would then be loaded with Mojave at the end of the migration process.

Steve

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 6,564

e_Phil wrote:

I myself don't migrate from one machine to another. As one has already said, its good practice to make sure you're old machine is clear of junk before you migrate via TimeMachine.

What I like to do is clean install all applications that I use, on the new machine, and only transfer files that are needed. I tend to install applications that I use once or twice to give them a try but never delete them. This process helps eliminate all the junk, unused applications and messy folder structures (if you not very organized). Sure takes a bit longer, but again, helps rid your computer of anything unnecessary.

I can't comment on the workings LR and PS v6 on Catalina, however, LR Classic will read your files/sidecar xmp files just fine.

~ ePhil

I'm glad that works in your case, and I've had to do it myself, but a true clean installation can be mind-bogglingly tough for some of us.

The main is reason is all the unique support files. All the present and plugins for say Photoshop and Lr would have to be downloaded, installed, and perhaps re-registered. The same headache for lots of other image software, like Affinity. Or non photo software, like Microsoft's, where you'd lose all the templates and such. And on and on.

And even when you don't lose those add-ons, you lose preferences. Custom keyboard shortcuts. Locations for wifi set ups. Custom display prefs. Histories. Browser bookmarks. Local emails.

And some applications now have caches or local storage of online files, and those have to either just be relinked, if fortunate, or downloaded, if not.

Indeed, one often doesn't even realize what one has lost until one tries to set up a new machine from scratch by individually added back everything in ~/Library. Some have really simple setups without much of this, and time, but when I've been helping people I always counsel them to do setup assistant first. It's easier to erase or remove problems that might crop up, and it works for us most of the time. If it completely fails you can always go back and do an alternative by erasing and starting over.

-- hide signature --

“Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
— Edgar Degas

robgendreau's gear list:robgendreau's gear list
Pentax K-1 II Pentax FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 12,122

digigobler wrote:

Well that's what a representative at Apple Support told me. She said that if the latest Time Machine update was made with Mojave on the old MBP and you attempted to migrate data to new MBP that was already installed with Catalina there would be problems. Now she did say that I have the option to migrate the data with Time Machine (Mojave) to the new MBP with Catalina by going into recovery mode (command-R at startup with Time Machine plugged into new MBP), but the new MBP would then be loaded with Mojave at the end of the migration process.

Steve

That doesn't make a lot of sense, at least with a fresh install of macOS. What is the scenario here? Typically, you'd erase the boot volume, do a fresh install of the new OS, and migrate data to it from a Time Machine or clone backup made with the old OS. Am I missing some complicating factor?

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +49 more

I guess (for me) this is becoming more of an academic issue as I progress. Trying to keep it as simple as I can and using the Adobe uninstallers for Lightroom 6 and Photoshop 6 while still in Mojave, I uninstalled both applications. I then subscribed to Adobe Creative Cloud and downloaded and installed Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC. I'm now in the process of upgrading to Catalina. After that is complete I will update Time Machine. In a few weeks when the new 16" MBP arrives I will do the migration with Time Machine. We'll see how this all goes. I've never had any problems migrating using Time Machine in the past so hopefully this time will not be any different. I will report back here when completed to inform any members who might be interested.

Steve

Leo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,431

There are so many posts that say opposite. Are you the lucky one or we just confuse, by Adobe warning?

It is interesting to know if the LR 6 installer can be opened by other Catalina users.

Leo's gear list:Leo's gear list
Pentax K-S2 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR

On my Mac with Mohave:

In the:  About this Mac > System Report > Software > Applications

Adobe Application Manager is shown as NO in the 64 bit column.

May be on your new MBP with Catalina the Adobe Application Manager shows YES in 64 bit column.

Please, check when it would be convenient. Thank you.

To follow up on my transition from a 15” MacBook Pro running Mojave with Lightroom 6 and Photoshop 6 to the new 16” MBP running Catalina and upgrading to Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop 2020. As I had planned to do, I uninstalled Lightroom and Photoshop 6 while still with Mojave to take advantage of the 32 bit run Adobe Application Manager, then ungraded the 15” MBP to Catalina. I then subscribed to and downloaded Adobe Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop 2020. After that, I made two copies of Time Machine updates of the 15” MBP with Catalina in preparation to migrate all data to new MBP.

All went pretty well, although for some reason unknown to me, the Apple Migration Assistant kept leading me to opening a new iCloud account and rename my new computer, make a new user name and password instead of just letting it be a clone of the old one. I’ve use the Migration Assistant with Time Machine quite a few times in the past and that never happened. Must be the new and improved Catalina.

For those who have already purchased the new 16” MBP or for those who are considering it, if you use Lightroom Classic CC, there is a bit of a bug that I’ve come across. The MBP comes standard with the AMB Radeon Pro 5500 Graphics card but unless you disable Automatic graphics switching located in System Preferences under Energy Saver - Battery, when you use Lightroom Classic CC only the built in Intel UHD Graphics 630 card will be operating. Performance will be much slower. Also, under Lightroom Preferences > Performance >Use Graphic Processor CUSTOM should be selected and “Use GPU for image processing” should be checked along with AMD radeon Pro 5500 box should be checked.

I’ve tested this out many times and this is the only configuration that allows the high performance GPU to work. Don’t know if this particular to my machine, a software bug or what. I informed Apple about it and they were very interested as to what is causing this behavior. I spent 2 hours with a senior advisor and he is taking it to the software engineers. He will call me back tomorrow with more info. But for now this is the best work-around and with the high performance GPU the new 16” MBP screams in Lightroom. BTW, Photoshop commands use of the high performance GPU at startup.

Steve

mbloof wrote:

My old 2013 vintage 13" MBP was recently upgraded to 10.15.1 and LR works mostly fine. On my newer 2019 13" MBP (came with Catalina) I did a fresh install of LR 6.14 without any issues.

Mark, I had upgraded to Catalina and Lightroom 6 worked fine. However, there was a post. that said that LR6 cannot cannot be reinstalled on Catalina. I have chickened out and reinstalled Mojave. Adobe confirmed that LR6 cannot be reinstalled on Catalina. However you could! As I would have to upgrade to Catalina ... my question: was the installation smooth and with no warnings?

Thank you.

Leo

Return just to mark

mbloof
mbloof Senior Member • Posts: 1,400

Leo wrote:

mbloof wrote:

Mark, I had upgraded to Catalina and Lightroom 6 worked fine. However, there was a post. that said that LR6 cannot cannot be reinstalled on Catalina. I have chickened out and reinstalled Mojave. Adobe confirmed that LR6 cannot be reinstalled on Catalina. However you could! As I would have to upgrade to Catalina ... my question: was the installation smooth and with no warnings?

Thank you.

Leo

My new computer came with Catalina. I downloaded my purchased copy of LR 6.14 from Adobe and ran the install. I don't recall any hickups. Please note, I installed it, NOT reinstalled it.

My old MBP (2013) already had LR installed. It still works after upgrading to Catalina. Both LR5 and LR6 function (open and run) on Catalina.

What does not work however is the Canon software. While it works fine on my upgraded MBP I can't get it to install or migrate from one MBP to the new one.

I've since turned off the automatic updates on both.

-- hide signature --

(insert brag sheet here)
A sampling of my images are in my DPR gallery
Technologist @ Large
- Mark0

mbloof's gear list:mbloof's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads