Body, Lens, Kit for under 750$ for photo and 4K video?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
TarunVader10 New Member • Posts: 10
Body, Lens, Kit for under 750$ for photo and 4K video?

I need good photo and 4K video capabilities. I prefer that the camera is relatively new with good features that will future proof it as I can't upgrade for a few more years.

I'll mostly use it for family, travel, special events and also just try out different types of photography and video in general. I don't have the best lighting conditions but I think any of my options would do fine compared to budget smartphone cameras or old point and shoots that I use now.

I have narrowed my choices down to the following:

Canon Rebel SL3 with 18-55 mm lens and accessory kit for 599$ (I might get just the body for 499$ and add an 18-135 and a prime(35/50 mm) or just add a telephoto and a prime used to this bundle). My concerns are only AF in video and crop in 4K. I don't how big of a deal the rolling shutter and lack of DPAF make to final end result. I assume with some practice and skill from my side I could do a lot with this camera even in terms of video, right?

Sony A6100 with 16-50 mm and accessory kit for 748$. Not many reviews out. It does seem to be a the best of both worlds and the composite body and low-res VF don't bother me. Will a good combo of lenses with the other two options beat this in terms of value?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G85 with 12-60 mm, 45-150 mm and an accessory kit for 698$. I can't find as many cheap lenses as the Canon same with the Sony but since I won't upgrade for a while this should do pretty well. My only question is if I should go for this and enjoy it and then worry later about spending a bit more for a higher end product.

If you guys have a favorite between the 3 or lens ideas for the SL3 then please help me out.

ChristianC1975 Forum Member • Posts: 58
Re: Body, Lens, Kit for under 750$ for photo and 4K video?

I would not go for the SLR, maybe some other Canon, but mirrorless? But there is no good 4k video in your budget for that mount.

The Sony is probably great, if you can live without IBIS, i.e. steady hands. I do not think lens stabilization is any good for video in short focal lengths.

The Pana is a great package but the AF is really not great- there are workarounds but if perfect AF is your priority, not the best choice.

It is weather-sealed, which is nice. It is very well in terms of controls and general ergonomy, even though I actually prefer the body style of the Sony.

Sony good lenses will be very expensive and large except the Sigmas- which are not stabilized, which is quite a bad thing in the 6100.

So not sure what to advice. The EM5.3 would have been great but it is soooo expensive for just adding good AF to the package of what is the G80.

Maybe someone else has better ideas.

OP TarunVader10 New Member • Posts: 10

The DSLR was recommended for decent 4K Video but a great price. The battery life and DPAF are good but video lacks features.

The Sony and the G85 are both great. Should I go for the G85 with 2 lenses for 700$ versus the A6100 for 750$ both with the same accessory kit. Both have plus and minus points, the thing is for an amateur shooting for the first time on expensive gear like this, I can probably live with either.

The AF on the A6100 and larger sensor push me towards it but IS and two lenses seems like a great deal on the G85.

The EM5 III looked great till I looked at the price and the EM5 II doesn't have good AF for video or I would've picked it.

Razon Junior Member • Posts: 37

The G85 is too good of a deal to pass up right now. It is a better all around camera with superb ergonomics and a much better menu system than the sony (for me). These two things are much more important than slight differences in image quality.

The dual IS more than compensates for any loss in light gathering ability with the smaller sensor.

I know the image quality difference is pretty small but what about the AF? Is it significantly worse or is it just off sometimes. I am leaning towards the G85. In fact, it was the first recommendation I got before I went down a rabbit hole filled with so much comparison of gear. Well, I learned a lot though.

Razon Junior Member • Posts: 37

TarunVader10 wrote:

I know the image quality difference is pretty small but what about the AF? Is it significantly worse or is it just off sometimes. I am leaning towards the G85. In fact, it was the first recommendation I got before I went down a rabbit hole filled with so much comparison of gear. Well, I learned a lot though.

Single AF on my G85 is lightning fast (especially paired with panasonic lenses, but even with the olympus 45mm 1.8), Continuous AF struggles to keep up sometimes, but in my experience it's nowhere near as bad as some people say.

I tried all kinds of systems in the shop before buying the G85, and Sony had the worst menu by far (slow and complicated), and only the Olympus E-M10 had worse ergonomics.

That settles it then. The G85 it is. I wish I could try these out but I live in India and someone is getting it for me in the US and bringing it to me. Ergonomics I can't test too much but I figure I'll get used to it. Clunky menus are annoying but the G85 seems a better value.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads