Fuji X-T2 vs Sony A7II

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Pixel8888 Regular Member • Posts: 289
Re: Fuji X-T2 vs Sony A7II

Eugleo wrote:

Thank you very much! What about the general UX of the Fuji, is it really miles better than the Sony, as I heard? Unfortunately I don’t have any way to try the Fuji out for a longer period of time (I’m buying a used body) so I have to rely on second-hand information and then my first impressions.

This might give you an idea. Check their website for reviews of the older models.

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/sony-vs-fujifilm/xt3-vs-a7iii/

RecklessCoding Regular Member • Posts: 291

Eugleo wrote:

vegetaleb wrote:

Forget about the a7ii, it's not a successful camera, if you need FF then go A7iii or a used a7rii if on budget.

Both of those are out of my budget. I decided I’ll buy the Fuji now, and if I eventually start to miss the IBIS and FF, buy the A7III after 4-ish years, once the price drops.

I think, it is a good call.

Ergonomics are the most important. You are new to photography; you need a system that will encourage you shoot with it if you want to learn more. Fuji is probably the best system to learn photography, as you get a dial for each exposure value. Sure, you can adjust things with the command dials, but there is simply a feeling of control you get with Fuji's (I am new to the brand too). Also, the A7  II is just slow and non-responsive.

I suggest you not to think already about your next system. That is a recipe for disaster. While IBIS is great, I think "FF" argument about DOF is a double-edged sword. There are many situations you need more DOF; e.g. landscapes and street.

Fuji lenses are all great, you can get cheap ones like the 23mm f2 in the 400ish$ or expensive 1500$, but you have tremendous lenses between 700 and 1000$ like the 16mm f1. 4 and 16-55

Do you have any specific recommendations for cheap quality lenses? I’m eyeing the Samyang 12mm (or so) MF, which should be great for the landscapes. And I’m getting the kit zoom, of course.

The Samyang 12mm is a good lens, but manual focus. Normally, I would advice against a MF lens when you first start, but at that focal length it is hard to miss focus. Especially, as Fuji packs so many tools to help focusing with MF lenses.

If you can save up a bit, you may want to invest to a used copy of the10-24mm f/4. I only got mine a few days ago, but after a short walkaround, but I love it. My UWA experience is limited to the Olympus 9-18mm f/4-5.6, 7-14mm f/2.8, and the Nikon 16-35mm f/4. The 10-24 is somewhere between the Nikon and the Olympus 7-14mm is focal length (at the wide end), but smaller than both with a great metal-only build. Filters support is also much appreciated. My only two complains is the lack of WR and of a marked aperture ring.

RecklessCoding's gear list:RecklessCoding's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-H1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
OP Eugleo Junior Member • Posts: 45

RecklessCoding wrote:

Eugleo wrote:

vegetaleb wrote:

Forget about the a7ii, it's not a successful camera, if you need FF then go A7iii or a used a7rii if on budget.

Both of those are out of my budget. I decided I’ll buy the Fuji now, and if I eventually start to miss the IBIS and FF, buy the A7III after 4-ish years, once the price drops.

Ergonomics are the most important. You are new to photography; you need a system that will encourage you shoot with it if you want to learn more. Fuji is probably the best system to learn photography, as you get a dial for each exposure value. Sure, you can adjust things with the command dials, but there is simply a feeling of control you get with Fuji's (I am new to the brand too). Also, the A7 II is just slow and non-responsive.

I arrived at the same exact conclusion! I want the process to be fun, after all.

I suggest you not to think already about your next system. That is a recipe for disaster. While IBIS is great, I think "FF" argument about DOF is a double-edged sword. There are many situations you need more DOF; e.g. landscapes and street.

Fuji lenses are all great, you can get cheap ones like the 23mm f2 in the 400ish$ or expensive 1500$, but you have tremendous lenses between 700 and 1000$ like the 16mm f1. 4 and 16-55

Do you have any specific recommendations for cheap quality lenses? I’m eyeing the Samyang 12mm (or so) MF, which should be great for the landscapes. And I’m getting the kit zoom, of course.

The Samyang 12mm is a good lens, but manual focus. Normally, I would advice against a MF lens when you first start, but at that focal length it is hard to miss focus. Especially, as Fuji packs so many tools to help focusing with MF lenses.

If you can save up a bit, you may want to invest to a used copy of the10-24mm f/4. I only got mine a few days ago, but after a short walkaround, but I love it. My UWA experience is limited to the Olympus 9-18mm f/4-5.6, 7-14mm f/2.8, and the Nikon 16-35mm f/4. The 10-24 is somewhere between the Nikon and the Olympus 7-14mm is focal length (at the wide end), but smaller than both with a great metal-only build. Filters support is also much appreciated. My only two complains is the lack of WR and of a marked aperture ring.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm actually starting to think that I'll skip the kit zoom lens and get a prime 22mm f/2 (35mm FF equiv.) instead. The 35mm I think should cover most of my needs anyway, it's faster, sharper and lighter (as in weight) than the zoom and it has a marked aperture ring. And it's weather resistant, unlike the zoom.

After some time passes I'll figure out whether I need some new lens on the wider side, or maybe something for portraits, and get a prime for that as well — or maybe the UWA zoom you recommended.

Eugleo wrote:

RecklessCoding wrote:

Ergonomics are the most important. You are new to photography; you need a system that will encourage you shoot with it if you want to learn more. Fuji is probably the best system to learn photography, as you get a dial for each exposure value. Sure, you can adjust things with the command dials, but there is simply a feeling of control you get with Fuji's (I am new to the brand too). Also, the A7 II is just slow and non-responsive.

I arrived at the same exact conclusion! I want the process to be fun, after all.

Exactly; I spent a lot of time around 2013-14 pixelpeeping and hauling FF gear. I switched to m4/3 and photography became fun again. Last 2-3 years, I got into the pixelpeeping mindset again. A few months ago, I realised that it is stupid of me.

I don't print A0 posters and even if I did, any format can work. What matters the most is to honed my own skills. Let alone that FIAP-accredited competitions use either 4K or 1080p TVs.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm actually starting to think that I'll skip the kit zoom lens and get a prime 22mm f/2 (35mm FF equiv.) instead. The 35mm I think should cover most of my needs anyway, it's faster, sharper and lighter (as in weight) than the zoom and it has a marked aperture ring. And it's weather resistant, unlike the zoom.

I suggest you to rethink passing on the kit zoom. At its price, that lens is a steal; you will find nothing than praise on these forums. It costs significantly more to buy later.

After some time passes I'll figure out whether I need some new lens on the wider side, or maybe something for portraits, and get a prime for that as well — or maybe the UWA zoom you recommended.

Sounds like a good plan.

Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-H1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
OP Eugleo Junior Member • Posts: 45

RecklessCoding wrote:

Eugleo wrote:

RecklessCoding wrote:

Exactly; I spent a lot of time around 2013-14 pixelpeeping and hauling FF gear. I switched to m4/3 and photography became fun again. Last 2-3 years, I got into the pixelpeeping mindset again. A few months ago, I realised that it is stupid of me.

Oh, I see you shoot on m43 as well. Would you mind to tell me how do you compare you m43 system with the X-H1? (what's better for what and if you only had to choose one, which would it be for general-purpose walkaround usage).

I don't print A0 posters and even if I did, any format can work. What matters the most is to honed my own skills. Let alone that FIAP-accredited competitions use either 4K or 1080p TVs.

I suggest you to rethink passing on the kit zoom. At its price, that lens is a steal; you will find nothing than praise on these forums. It costs significantly more to buy later.

I got many similar recommendations, here on DPR and also elsewhere. I'll try to get the zoom, then.

Sounds like a good plan.

Eugleo wrote:

RecklessCoding wrote:

Oh, I see you shoot on m43 as well. Would you mind to tell me how do you compare you m43 system with the X-H1? (what's better for what and if you only had to choose one, which would it be for general-purpose walkaround usage).

You can find an in-depth discussion here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63372914

In general, I think the E-M1 MkII with the 12-40mm f/2.8 is a hard to beat combo. It is significantly smaller than the X-H1 + 16-55mm f/2.8. In general, I think m4/3 has better zoom options. However, for primes Fuji has the advantage due to the WR f/2.0 line.

As a general-purpose walkaround it very much depends on what you want. In short, m4/3 is probably faster to operate, but Fuji gives you a feeling of better control due to the distinct dials for each exposure component.

You can't go wrong with either. Having said that, I am moving to Fuji.

I got many similar recommendations, here on DPR and also elsewhere. I'll try to get the zoom, then.

Peter Heckert2
Peter Heckert2 Contributing Member • Posts: 684

Eugleo wrote:

why not get an X-T3 which is reported to track focus much better than the X-T2.

Unfortunately, that’s way over my current budget.

I know this problem
You could consider the T30 which has the same Image quality,

Peter Heckert2's gear list:Peter Heckert2's gear list
Olympus E-M5 III Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
JayPhizzt Senior Member • Posts: 1,342

Peter Heckert2 wrote:

Eugleo wrote:

I know this problem

Most of the image quality lies in the lens anyway so the camera doesn't matter much in that regard other than when it comes to noise and dynamic range.

A few downsides to the X-T30 compared to the X-T2 is inferior build quality, lack of weather sealing, only 1/4000s mechanical shutter and only one memory card slot.

It all comes down to what one prioritizes of course.

JayPhizzt's gear list:JayPhizzt's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
BryceM
BryceM Senior Member • Posts: 1,582

Eugleo wrote:

RecklessCoding wrote

There'll always be an opportunity to buy the zoom used later on Craigslist for $300 or less, so buy the lens that speaks to you and your style of photography personally.   They're both fantastic general purpose walk about lenses, and neither will be the last Fuji lens you buy.

-- hide signature --

- International Man of Mystery

BryceM's gear list:BryceM's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +38 more
KneeConWon Contributing Member • Posts: 577

Pennyfan wrote:

Avoid buying A7 series before gen 3 (only exception is A7RII), they are pretty meh...

For what it's worth, I manage to get by with my "meh" camera.

Sony A7 II with 28-70 kit lens. Shot handheld in JPG. Image straight out of camera.

Sony A7 II with 28-70 kit lens. Shot handheld in JPG.

KneeConWon's gear list:KneeConWon's gear list
Nikon 1 J5 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Sony a7 II Nikon D7500 +2 more

vegetaleb wrote:

Forget about the a7ii, it's not a successful camera

Lol. Great way to make decisions in life — if the masses don't like something, then it couldn't possibly be good. I prefer seeing for myself and forming my own opinions. When you do that, it's amazing how often the masses get it wrong. For the record, have you ever actually used an A7 II?

Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 1,587

KneeConWon wrote:

vegetaleb wrote:

Lol. Great way to make decisions in life — if the masses don't like something, then it couldn't possibly be good. I prefer seeing for myself and forming my own opinions. When you do that, it's amazing how often the masses get it wrong. For the record, have you ever actually used an A7 II?

I’ve used the A7II alongside the X-T2 and I found the Fuji to be superior in nearly every regard, including low light/high ISO. With most of the really good Sony glass being ridiculously expensive, the choice was an easy one for me.

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

KneeConWon wrote:

vegetaleb wrote:

I’ve used the A7II alongside the X-T2 and I found the Fuji to be superior in nearly every regard, including low light/high ISO. With most of the really good Sony glass being ridiculously expensive, the choice was an easy one for me.

Fair enough. That seems much more informative than the A7 II not being "successful."

For what it's worth, I've been very happy with the quality of of Sony's inexpensive primes like the 28 f/2 and 50 f/1.8 and inexpensive zooms like the much maligned Zeiss 24-70 f/4 and 28-70 kit lens. I also just acquired the Sony 85 f/1.8 and expect that will shine as well.

Most of these lenses I got for a song — either open-box clearance with an additional 15% off on BuyDig.com, or a good used deal on eBay, or simply a cheap price brand-new.

It's funny — to me, Fuji's lenses seem really expensive. I'm sure they're great quality, but I don't think I could afford a complete Fuji kit even if I was interested, possibly aside from one centered around the X-T100, which I've always found to be an interesting camera for its bargain-basement price.

In any case, we each found systems we're pleased with. Happy shooting!

vegetaleb
vegetaleb Senior Member • Posts: 1,676

JayPhizzt wrote:

Peter Heckert2 wrote:

Eugleo wrote:

I know this problem

Most of the image quality lies in the lens anyway so the camera doesn't matter much in that regard other than when it comes to noise and dynamic range.

A few downsides to the X-T30 compared to the X-T2 is inferior build quality, lack of weather sealing, only 1/4000s mechanical shutter and only one memory card slot.

It all comes down to what one prioritizes of course.

Smaller grip and evf too

-- hide signature --

For lenses reviews and tutorials about Fuji Raf editing https://fujiandstuff.wordpress.com/
My shutterstock https://www.shutterstock.com/g/jeffmerheb
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/147690104@N02/

vegetaleb's gear list:vegetaleb's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
basleigh Regular Member • Posts: 443

Fuji lenses like my 50mn f2 at just over 400 euros not expensive as with all their f2 lenses. My favourite lens on my XT-2 body 16mm f1,4. The Sony 35mm f2,8 Zeiss does the job but it has never bowled me over. Fuji colours are in a different realm giving you more.

basleigh's gear list:basleigh's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7 Pentax K-01 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +2 more
Buttons252
Buttons252 Senior Member • Posts: 1,369

Yeah, i went from an A7ii to A7R2 and saw zero difference in IQ.  I wanted the 4k video and eye AF in af-c.  I think both were fantastic cameras, but not particularly fun to use.

Buttons252's gear list:Buttons252's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-E1 XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
third son
third son Senior Member • Posts: 2,609

Eugleo wrote:

I asked the same question over in buying advice forums, but I guess you guys might want to chime in as well and have many interesting opinions.

Hey, I'm able to get both for around the same price (maybe Fuji slightly cheaper). I'm a beginner photographer, this will be my first real system.

I like to do street/travel photography, maybe sometimes landscapes and architecture. No wildlife, sports or any other fast-moving subjects or video—I still prefer a mirrorless system, though, for its compactness (if need be) and EVF.

Based on what I was reading, I came up with the following pros and cons:

A7II pros over XT-2

• FF (better for nice DOF and low-light photography) 
  • IBIS
  • can adapt good old lenses (as I don't mind MF for my use cases)

XT-2 pros over A7II

• IQ allegedly basically the same as A7II or better
  • great build quality
  • great handling
  • ... basically everything else is better or on-par compared to A7II

There's four things that keep me from buying XT-2 straight away

• I don't know whether I need IBIS
  • I don't know anything about Fuji lenses (are there any cheap ones out there, so I can have a nice range of focal lengths before finding out what I need and like)?
  • I read some things about weird Fuji color handling (Ken Rockwell + some article that's being linked here on DP a lot) and I'm not sure whether Fuji si suitable for street & landscape work because of this
  • I don't know if it's not stupid to invest in Fuji system now (I don't see many people using Fuji, I wonder why)

So, these are the most important to resolve. Could you please help me with that?

Another problem I have is although I collected all the pros and cons of the individual cameras across many reviews, forum questions and videos, I don't really know how relevant they are relative to each other. If you could help me with that as well (i.e. "In low light FF only helps you one stop of light, which is almost useless anyway, but X-T2 being nice to manipulate is something you can appreciate every day" or something like that).

Image quality is close to xt2 but files are very clinical. IBIS not very good in sony. Fuji lenses are terrific.

third son's gear list:third son's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon Z6 Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads