27mm F2.8 opinions?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Doug Pardee
Doug Pardee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,867
Slow and noisy AF

sixfootzero wrote:

On the X-E1, with latest firmware, the lens is slow to focus and can have trouble locking on in very dark conditions.

Yeah. The 27mm focuses by moving the entire optical assembly in and out, requiring a considerably slower, more powerful AF motor than the linear motor in the 18-55. As a result, the AF motor in the 27mm is quite slow and noisy when hunting. And with the X-E1, all AF is hunting because it doesn't have PDAF.

If that's not an issue, great!

-- hide signature --

Co-founder of the open-source LightZone Project: http://lightzoneproject.org/

Doug Pardee's gear list:Doug Pardee's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Canon EOS 350D +13 more
RogueOne Regular Member • Posts: 105
Re: 27mm F2.8 opinions?

Two months ago I purchased my first Fuji, the X-E3 and the 27m lens.  So I don't have any other lenses to compare to, but I bought it because I wanted to have a camera with me all the time.  It's been great.  I use the Peak Design leash strap, and it's nothing at all to sling it over my shoulder when running errands, walks, etc.

I'm not much for stuff in pockets, but the slim design you could stash it in a jacket/coat pocket easily.  I love having a camera with me more frequently.

It has no aperture ring, but from the X-E3 I can use the front dial to adjust aperture so not a big deal.

RogueOne's gear list:RogueOne's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +8 more
quintana Regular Member • Posts: 348

Buttons252 wrote:

However, X-H1 is a lot bigger then i thought and i dont think a pancake lens is so appealing now.

I really like the 27/2.8 and using it with the X-H1 is a joy because of the IBIS. The tiny lens on the big camera certainly looks odd and I have to admit that I had to get used to that. But other than that the two work great together.

It is a very capable lens. Always sharp in the center and stopped down the corners also look very good. Considering its low price tag it is almost a nobrainer if you want a pocketable camera which it becomes with everything smaller than an X-H1 and maybe X-T3. I bought the X-E3 as a secondary camera just for the 27/2.8 and 15-45/3.5-5.6.

quintana's gear list:quintana's gear list
Olympus E-30 Nikon Z7 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +3 more
JNR
JNR Veteran Member • Posts: 3,890

Rod McD wrote:

Hi,

The 27mm is a great little lens - usable WO but better - very sharp - once stopped down a tad. I find the lack of an AR somewhat annoying because for me, the MO is different from all my other Fuji lenses except the 50-230. If Fuji ever release a MkII with an AR, I'd trade up......

I think whether you can get an XE +27mm into a pocket rather depends on your definition of "pocket'. Jacket pocket - certainly. Is it a good idea to put a piece of precision optical gear into a pocket is another question. Maybe it says something about me or my laundry, but in my experience pockets tend to get full of dust, lint, glider clips, keys, bits of sandy shells the kids picked up and asked me to carry, etc, etc, etc, you get the idea - all inimical to optical gear..... How about a dedicated belt pouch?

Cheers, Rod

Good point about pocket lint and dust. My cargo pants pockets tend to stay pretty clean as they have a side zipper that makes it easy to clean out. In any event, a good solution would be to utilize one of those micro-fiber bags that come with eyeglasses to protect the camera and lens in a pocket. The bag doubles as a cleaning cloth.

More often, I have the camera along in a work satchel or briefcase.

-- hide signature --

JNR

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Phase One Capture One Pro Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +20 more
Joachim Gerstl
Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 8,402
here are some samples

http://www.littlebigtravelingcamera.com/?p=7837

plus some thoughts. I think it is a very fine lens.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +7 more
Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 27,201
Here is an example. I have others.

Straightened a little and cropped a little. At 100% it should give you some idea. I think it is a very sharp lens. Taken with a doors-off helicopter. I chose it because of size and lightness. Notice the extreme depth of field. Check the corners.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +29 more
Buttons252
OP Buttons252 Senior Member • Posts: 1,369

I like the X-H1 a lot, but its really not the camera body i wanted.  I want all of its features in an X-E3.    I really wanted a do it all camera in a range finder body... without Xpro 3 price tag

All that said, the 90mm F2 is freaking AMAZING on the X-H1.   I can take a picture of rubbish in bad light and still marvel at the pixels.

Buttons252's gear list:Buttons252's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS XF 90mm
Buttons252
Re: many photos with that lens there:

Those look amazing.

Buttons252
Re: Here is an example. I have others.

Looks good to me.

Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 27,201
And another example.

Again, leveled a little and cropped. Notice also that I replaced the sky using Luminar.

Again, extreme DOF for corner judging. Helicopter was banking so ground was pretty close (lower right). Leveled and skies replaced with Luminar.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +29 more
Chris Dodkin
Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 12,197
27mm all the way

Great lens, with a unique set of coatings to avoid flare, even in full sun

Very nice wide open at f/2.8

Get's you good subject separation

Makes a great lens for shooting street from the hip, no-one notices it at all

Stops down to impressive sharpness

Great walkabout lens that means you take it with you more often

Everyone should own this lens - I think it gets overlooked too often!

-- hide signature --

Your time is limited, so don't waste it arguing about camera features - go out and capture memories - Oh, and size does matter - shoot MF

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GFX 50R +43 more
RichardRE Regular Member • Posts: 137

RogueOne wrote:

It has no aperture ring, but from the X-E3 I can use the front dial to adjust aperture so not a big deal.

Seems that I cannot see how to set up the front wheel on my X-E3 for controlling aperture. Or, I just forgot after making other changes! What setting do I revert back to?

-- hide signature --

-Richard

RichardRE's gear list:RichardRE's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
RogueOne Regular Member • Posts: 105

RichardRE wrote:

RogueOne wrote:

Seems that I cannot see how to set up the front wheel on my X-E3 for controlling aperture. Or, I just forgot after making other changes! What setting do I revert back to?

If you press in on the front dial, you can switch it from Aperture > ISO control.  Or I think it's also in the menu under the Custom Function buttons as well.

RogueOne's gear list:RogueOne's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +8 more
RichardRE Regular Member • Posts: 137

Thanks. Seems I forgot that simple edit of the wheels {and other buttons). Just long press and change.

-Richard

RichardRE's gear list:RichardRE's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
astonehouse
astonehouse Regular Member • Posts: 219

I bought mine for about US$70 a year ago only because it was so cheap with discounts and cashback. I am still surprised how nice the images are at smaller apertures, it gets a little soft wide open. Compared to my 16 f1.4 and 35 f1.4 I find it hard to tell the difference at anything over f4. My 50 f2 is noticeably sharper though.

astonehouse's gear list:astonehouse's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
mapline
mapline Regular Member • Posts: 343

Cropped image but i'm still happy with IQ.

mapline's gear list:mapline's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 50-230mm II Phase One Capture One Pro +1 more
Pan50 Regular Member • Posts: 491

The XE1 or XT1 with 27mm lens is my go-to travel kit. Easy to carry, great little lens, sharp. Even with the XT1 and battery grip it’s easy to conceal under a jacket.

Pan50's gear list:Pan50's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads