27mm F2.8 opinions?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Buttons252
Buttons252 Senior Member • Posts: 1,369
27mm F2.8 opinions?

I just got an X-H1 + 90mm Bundle. I also have an X-E1 + 18-55mm F2.8-4. Honestly, the 18-55mm is not impressing me so far. Its not a big lens, but it still prevents the X-E1 from fitting in my pocket. Considering selling it and getting the 27mm F2.8 prime. I would be a lot more likely to bring the camera with me to places. Without OIS i would probably be shooting the 27mm wide open a lot. How is the edge to edge sharpness ? Should I just stick with the 18-55?

I think the 18-55mm wide open at 27mm is F3.6 at least thats what ive been getting.

Buttons252's gear list:Buttons252's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS XF 90mm
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ragbasti Regular Member • Posts: 196
Re: 27mm F2.8 opinions?

Buttons252 wrote:

I just got an X-H1 + 90mm Bundle. I also have an X-E1 + 18-55mm F2.8-4. Honestly, the 18-55mm is not impressing me so far. Its not a big lens, but it still prevents the X-E1 from fitting in my pocket. Considering selling it and getting the 27mm F2.8 prime. I would be a lot more likely to bring the camera with me to places. Without OIS i would probably be shooting the 27mm wide open a lot. How is the edge to edge sharpness ? Should I just stick with the 18-55?

I think the 18-55mm wide open at 27mm is F3.6 at least thats what ive been getting.

The 27/2.8 is a great little lens. It really makes any Fuji Camera pocketable, aside from maybe the X-H1

It's super sharp in the center but takes some stopping down to get great corners, I usually shoot it at f4-5.6 when I ahve lots of light available.
With how small a package it is, you just have to weigh your own expectations vs the reality of what can be achieved.

Unfortunately, the lens doesn't have a aperture ring but aside from that it's a joy to use and a really nice all-purpose focal length.
Low light with the lens is not recommended, it tends to hunt quite a bit on my X-T2.
If I had to sell all lenses but one, the 27mm would probably last I'd sell before keeping my Mitakon

-- hide signature --

If you want to experience the Dunning-Kruger effect first hand, then just join a forum debate about photography.

ragbasti's gear list:ragbasti's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR
a_c_skinner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,818

It is a really good little lens.  Don't sell the 18-55, look for a used 27mm, which can be very cheap.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
JNR
JNR Veteran Member • Posts: 3,855

As already mentioned elsewhere, the 27mm is sharp in the center wide open, but has issues toward the edges. The likely culprit appears to be field curvature - the penalty for making the lens so small. The field curvature is far less apparent than what you see from the 18-55 on the wider end - up to about 23mm. These problems are relevant for architecture and some landscape shots, but otherwise not hugely evident. It is also true that the lens struggles in very low light (on my X-T2/20), and that would be especially apparent on that old X-E1 body which is limited in AF abilities in low light.

That said, I highly value the lens' utility and accept its limitations. It certainly outperforms the 18-55 at 27mm, is fun to take along in cargo pants pockets with the X-T20, and qualifies as the only truly "normal" perspective prime lens in the Fuji line-up (35mm on APSc is a bit narrower than the accepted range of normal - which is around 27-31mm).

-- hide signature --

JNR

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Phase One Capture One Pro Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +20 more
lk2 New Member • Posts: 22

I use a 27mm + X-E1, but mostly stopped down to F/5.6 or more, where I find it extremely sharp edge-to-edge.  When I use it at F/2.8, it's usually at close range and it's hard to judge edge-to-edge sharpness in real world scenarios due to bokeh (but center sharpness is definitely there).  I've been very happy with this lens, partly because of its sharpness.  Great for black-and-white with high micro-contrast.

I also have the 14mm, considered to be quite sharp, and never find myself shooting with the 27mm and thinking that it lacks the 14mm's sharpness.

Used prices for the 27mm seem to me to be a bargain and I'd highly recommend anyone who doesn't have this lens to try it.  If you don't like it, sell it and you won't lose much.

The most common complaint I see about the 27mm is the lack of an aperture dial.  That's been a complete non-issue for me, I just use the wheel on the back of the X-E1 and check the aperture in the EVF.  I love the handling of the 14mm, but I value the small size of the 27mm and the combined 27mm + X-E1 package and wouldn't want its size increased for that.

If the 27mm were F/2 at about the same size, I would probably not consider any of Fuji's F/1.4 offerings, but I am now looking at them for better low-light performance.  Why not the 18mm F/2?  It seems there would be a noticeable decrease in sharpness from the 27mm.

Hope that helps.

mapline
mapline Regular Member • Posts: 333

Great lens on my X-T20 would really suit your X-E1.

Can be bought new very cheaply.

Would highly recommend.

mapline's gear list:mapline's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 50-230mm II Phase One Capture One Pro +1 more
ikaika777
ikaika777 Senior Member • Posts: 2,289

The 27 is a great street lens. Keep your 18-55 and buy a used 27, you won’t regret it. On my X-T2 and X-E3 the lens focuses fast even in lowlight.

-- hide signature --

After all is said and done and your photo is hanging on the wall, no one is going to know or care what camera, lens, or what post processing you used. All they care about is if the image moves them.
I’m not hung up on the Bokeh fad because I’m too busy chasing shadows.

ikaika777's gear list:ikaika777's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +15 more
Buttons252
OP Buttons252 Senior Member • Posts: 1,369
Ebay has them new for $156

nt

A_Mist
A_Mist Regular Member • Posts: 312

My most used Fuji lens with 16/1.4. Small, sharp and light. Match made in heaven with smaller bodies like XT30 or XE3.

A_Mist's gear list:A_Mist's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +10 more
rube39 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,337

Got mine in a two lens kit with the M-1. The combination is small and pocketable, so the 27 stays glued to my M-1. The much larger zoom gathers dust. . .

-- hide signature --

Rube

GossCTP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,116

JNR wrote:

That said, I highly value the lens' utility and accept its limitations. It certainly outperforms the 18-55 at 27mm, is fun to take along in cargo pants pockets with the X-T20, and qualifies as the only truly "normal" perspective prime lens in the Fuji line-up (35mm on APSc is a bit narrower than the accepted range of normal - which is around 27-31mm).

Would you happen to know how it fairs vs Pentax A28 f/2.8? Obviously it wouldn't be as svelte with the adapter. Just curious performance wise.

-- hide signature --

"Law and order" is anathema to liberty and justice.

GossCTP's gear list:GossCTP's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +7 more
JNR
JNR Veteran Member • Posts: 3,855

GossCTP wrote:

JNR wrote:

Would you happen to know how it fairs vs Pentax A28 f/2.8? Obviously it wouldn't be as svelte with the adapter. Just curious performance wise.

Long ago I used to sell the a28 f/2.8 fairly often... so I had a good general idea about that lens, though I never owned one - and certainly would not have experience with it in the digital realm. My recollections square with what others have generally observed... great SMC coatings for the era, but pretty much middling sharpness.

For the most part, strides in lens design over the past four decades are very apparent in zooms and wide angle lenses (FF 28mm and wider - assisted by ED, LD, aspheric, etc. elements). Longer primes haven't really progressed much. The Fuji 27mm lens has two other key advantages - it is a normal perspective focal length designed for the 16x24mm image circle rather than a FF wide angle, and as a mirrorless lens it does not require the complexity of extra flange distance (retrofocus design).

So, that is a long answer - safe to say that the 27mm is markedly better, especially regarding sharpness. That's coming from someone who values character over sharpness, and still gets plenty of fine shots from optics that were produced more than four decades ago.

-- hide signature --

JNR

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Phase One Capture One Pro Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +20 more
br_noronha
br_noronha New Member • Posts: 11

While using your 18-55 what are the focal distances more used by you?

If you keep it around the 27mm, then the 27mm would be a great pocketable lens, but will not be sharpen in the corners at f/2.8.

However if you keep shooting around the wide side of your lens the 18mm f2 may be a better compact lens, but keep in mind that both of them have an AF much slower than your 90mm.

In the first case, consider buying an used 27mm to when you feel the need to keep it pocketable, and in the second case I think you'll be happy selling your 18-55 and buying the 18mm.

br_noronha's gear list:br_noronha's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Huawei P20 Pro
sixfootzero
sixfootzero Contributing Member • Posts: 671

I got an X-E1 a few years ago, and the 27mm f2.8 was the first Fuji lens I got for it.  I also recently got an X-H1, so we appear to have similar taste in camera bodies.

On the X-E1, with latest firmware, the lens is slow to focus and can have trouble locking on in very dark conditions.  The size of this combo really does encourage you to carry the camera all the time.  I recently went to Disney for a few days, and carried the combo on a wrist strap, with no camera bag.  Very handy.

On the X-H1, the lens is so quick to focus that sometimes I have to check that it is even working.  Zap:  focus.  Right now.  On the down side, the camera body is so big, I haven't really gotten comfortable taking it everywhere with me yet.  Doesn't really seem like a wrist strap kind of camera but luckily the neck strap supplied with the camera is really nice.  The 27mm f2.8 doesn't even extend past the camera's grip.

sixfootzero's gear list:sixfootzero's gear list
Samsung NX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-H1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED +4 more
LaMeule Regular Member • Posts: 356
many photos with that lens there:
 LaMeule's gear list:LaMeule's gear list
Ricoh GR Sigma SD1 Merrill Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
RivkiLocker
RivkiLocker Senior Member • Posts: 1,101

It’s sharp and produces good photos but I hate that it has no aperture ring.

RivkiLocker's gear list:RivkiLocker's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm X-A10 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +9 more
lexvo Regular Member • Posts: 354

The 27mm makes my X-T2 pocketable (jacked pocket), and therefore I take my camera with me more often. It has good sharpness and I think the wide open sharpness is very usable.

lexvo's gear list:lexvo's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 6,792

Hi,

The 27mm is a great little lens - usable WO but better - very sharp -  once stopped down a tad.  I find the lack of an AR somewhat annoying because for me, the MO is different from all my other Fuji lenses except the 50-230.  If Fuji ever release a MkII with an AR, I'd trade up......

I think whether you can get an XE +27mm into a pocket rather depends on your definition of "pocket'.  Jacket pocket - certainly.  Is it a good idea to put a piece of precision optical gear into a pocket is another question.  Maybe it says something about me or my laundry, but in my experience pockets tend to get full of dust, lint, glider clips, keys, bits of sandy shells the kids picked up and asked me to carry, etc, etc, etc, you get the idea - all inimical to optical gear.....  How about a dedicated belt pouch?

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
DarnGoodPhotos Veteran Member • Posts: 9,175

Buttons252 wrote:

...Without OIS i would probably be shooting the 27mm wide open a lot. How is the edge to edge sharpness ?

The 27 is an f2.8 pancake lens which you can usually find for under $200; probably silly to hold it up to the same edge sharpness criteria you do more expensive, higher-end lenses. I mean, unless you are shooting flat walls or place your subject right at the edge of the frame, does it really matter if the edge isn't as sharp as the center. If your subject is going to be at the edge of the frame, just shoot wider and crop.

Should I just stick with the 18-55?

The 18-55 is a zoom and the 27 isn't... each has its own benefits.

Get the 27 and then sell the 18-55 if you don't find yourself using it.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
Buttons252
OP Buttons252 Senior Member • Posts: 1,369

I really like the 42mm equiv focal length.  a 50mm handles 90% of my photography generally speaking.  Having just switched back to Fuji from Sony... I have the 90mm F2 for portraits, and thought the 27mm would be a great walk around bring the camera everywhere with me.  However, X-H1 is a lot bigger then i thought and i dont think a pancake lens is so appealing now.  Maybe a 35mm F1.4 would hit the spot.

For now, i am going to use the 18-55mm some more in better light and see what i want to do.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads