I finally got it

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Marek M Senior Member • Posts: 1,800
Marty and everybody else

What happened to pure joy of photography? There are countless people, myself included, who simply enjoy photography, including carrying cameras, buying them, postprocessing etc.

Smartphones are smartphones, you can take decent pictures with them , I agree, but that is a different thing entirely.

And by the way, anything without an optical viewfinder is not a camera for me.

When I have a camera in my hands, it feels entirely different than snapping with my phone, which I sometimes do as well for different reasons. Photographer is a big word, but I feel like one with camera, I don't with  a smartphone.

A friend of mine, a surgeon, when you ask him for advice, tells me and his friends to come and see him in his office. He says he feels completely differently with his doctor's outfit on, with a cap, he thinks differently. Nothing to do with money.

He is a surgeon in his office, he is a friend outside of it.

The numbers of those like me are limited, but I would think that sufficient to sustain a camera market for a good while.

For all it's worth, I just bought some film, chemicals and am about to start some film shooting . Can't wait. Film already in camera, two pictures down. I even ordered a new flash as the old one died, fried itself.

absquatulate Forum Pro • Posts: 11,109
Re: Marty and everybody else

Marek M wrote:

What happened to pure joy of photography? There are countless people, myself included, who simply enjoy photography, including carrying cameras, buying them, postprocessing etc.

Smartphones are smartphones, you can take decent pictures with them , I agree, but that is a different thing entirely.

When I have a camera in my hands, it feels entirely different than snapping with my phone, which I sometimes do as well for different reasons. Photographer is a big word, but I feel like one with camera, I don't with a smartphone.

A friend of mine, a surgeon, when you ask him for advice, tells me and his friends to come and see him in his office. He says he feels completely differently with his doctor's outfit on, with a cap, he thinks differently. Nothing to do with money.

The numbers of those like me are limited, but I would think that sufficient to sustain a camera market for a good while.

For all it's worth, I just bought some film, chemicals and am about to start some film shooting . Can't wait. Film already in camera, two pictures down. I even ordered a new flash as the old one died, fried itself.

I totally agree, have you shot film before?

absquatulate's gear list:absquatulate's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Sigma sd Quattro Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +4 more

absquatulate wrote:

Marek M wrote:

When I have a camera in my hands, it feels entirely different than snapping with my phone, which I sometimes do as well for different reasons. Photographer is a big word, but I feel like one with camera, I don't with a smartphone.

Yes , many years ago, had a darkroom, for years. Still have most of the equipment but this time I'll go as far as film developing at home. I'll scan the negatives and go from there.

As for smartphone shooters, I have nothing against them. Zero. They are happy with what they do and that is how it should be.

But, I am not quite  sure why "smartphone converts" are even here, on DPR. At least to argue how smartphones are "better". Good for them.

Marek M wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

Marek M wrote:

Yes , many years ago, had a darkroom, for years. Still have most of the equipment but this time I'll go as far as film developing at home. I'll scan the negatives and go from there.

Nice one, I started shooting it again a few years ago, my darkroom is just about ready to go, black and white printing only though.

As for smartphone shooters, I have nothing against them. Zero. They are happy with what they do and that is how it should be.

But, I am not quite so sure why "smartphone converts" are even here, on DPR.

Indeed.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Sigma sd Quattro Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +4 more
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 55,258
Re: A very good point

fstopx2 wrote:

There is no point in having all this stuff that you dont use.

Even though I carry a smartphone and a pocket compact, about 90% of the pictures I take are taken with my SLR.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more

absquatulate wrote:

Marek M wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

Marek M wrote:

Nice one, I started shooting it again a few years ago, my darkroom is just about ready to go, black and white printing only though.

Darkroom was a great joy , but it took time. With current post processing, I can sit and have fun with pics for 30 mins and do something else after . With a darkroom, it took half hour to set everything up, mix the chemicals, get them to temperature, etc. Usually I spent time into early morning hours.Mine was BW only as well.

Indeed.

Marek M wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

Marek M wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

Marek M wrote:

Darkroom was a great joy , but it took time. With current post processing, I can sit and have fun with pics for 30 mins and do something else after . With a darkroom, it took half hour to set everything up, mix the chemicals, get them to temperature, etc. Usually I spent time into early morning hours.Mine was BW only as well.

Sure, I'm actually looking forward to it, I've done my own developing for a few years now so I know the score.

Indeed.

New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 3,421

Lee Jay wrote:

fferreres wrote:

Can you analiza post rate before and after?

Post rate is zero, before and after.

I think phones have FL and quality restrictions but get more photos shared and save time

She takes about 1/10th as many pictures now as before.

But presumably she is content or she wouldn't have made the change.

You, personally, place a huge amount of value on having access to and using an extremely wide range of focal lengths. You also place a huge amount of value on taking a very, very large volume of photos. Maybe your wife has just decided that those things don't matter that much to her.

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S1 Pro Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 55,258

New Day Rising wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

fferreres wrote:

I think phones have FL and quality restrictions but get more photos shared and save time

She was just tired of carrying around the camera.

You, personally, place a huge amount of value on having access to and using an extremely wide range of focal lengths.

Apparently so does she since she used 25-300 a lot on her hyperzoom.

You also place a huge amount of value on taking a very, very large volume of photos.

Not really, I just like to document the things I do, and I do a lot of things.

Maybe your wife has just decided that those things don't matter that much to her.

It's more that, missing the focal lengths and having to unlock the phone and launch an app limit the opportunities to take pictures more than having a huge range and just having to hit the power button and start shooting. Also, the camera had a wrist lanyard so she could just leave it around her wrist in interesting situations, without having to worry about dropping it or losing it.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 3,421

Lee Jay wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

fferreres wrote:

She was just tired of carrying around the camera.

That's pretty telling, isn't it? Even a compact camera is too much to carry around for an apparently enthusiastic photographer married to a very enthusiastic photographer who is going to be providing a strongly supportive and motivating influence.

You, personally, place a huge amount of value on having access to and using an extremely wide range of focal lengths.

Apparently so does she since she used 25-300 a lot on her hyperzoom.

But not enough to carry around a compact camera to get that range - the key word in your sentence is "used".

You also place a huge amount of value on taking a very, very large volume of photos.

Not really, I just like to document the things I do, and I do a lot of things.

Maybe your wife has just decided that those things don't matter that much to her.

It's more that, missing the focal lengths and having to unlock the phone and launch an app limit the opportunities to take pictures more than having a huge range and just having to hit the power button and start shooting.

I've seen you write this many times. I can launch the camera app on my phone directly from the lock screen - if it asleep, one press of the power button, one touch of the icon and it's ready to go. Or, when asleep, touch my finger to the fingerprint sensor and touch the camera icon on the home screen. If the camera was the last app I was using, it opens straight into that.

Some one or two touches and the camera opens almost instantly, ready to shoot. One to a maximum of three seconds. No way a compact camera is going to open appreciably faster than that. The fact that you say you can have a shot on your DSLR framed, focused, exposed and shoot within two seconds doesn't have any bearing on that.

Also, the camera had a wrist lanyard so she could just leave it around her wrist in interesting situations, without having to worry about dropping it or losing it.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

None of which delivered enough benefit for your wife to justify carrying the compact as well as the phone, so the phone won - which is basically what the whole demise of the compact digital camera in favour of the smartphone has been about. Your wife is a kind of archetype for the change in camera useage.

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S1 Pro Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads