**PART 2** This Week Through Your Eyes 2019.11.30

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Lichtspiel
Lichtspiel Senior Member • Posts: 1,953
Re: Peter, Chris & Woodsider

Lovely scene. Wonderful IQ too, one would expect at least some CA, but I can't spot any. Go Leica.

I am not a purist, so, since it doesn't add anything, I would have mercilessly cloned out the shed-let.

Lichtspiel's gear list:Lichtspiel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +3 more
Lichtspiel
Good Evening

After a very long day-hike that made my knees scream... Nice light in the end.

With the lovely, tiny, inexpensive Rokinon 7.5 Fisheye.

Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +3 more
111jackny44
111jackny44 Senior Member • Posts: 2,958
Re: Matter of degrees

There's always one!!! Great catch!

-- hide signature --

"Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I'm going to take tomorrow." -- Imogen Cunningham
https://jack-riordan.pixels.com
On Instagram @: jackieboy3521

111jackny44's gear list:111jackny44's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
111jackny44
Re: Different light

Your originals were much more pleasing.

-- hide signature --

"Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I'm going to take tomorrow." -- Imogen Cunningham

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
111jackny44
Re: Amber Light

I like the starburst shot, but the second one is my favorite.

-- hide signature --

111jackny44
Re: Good Evening

Truly, very nice light!

-- hide signature --

woodsider79
woodsider79 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,283
Blue and White...

...are the colours of Greece

-- hide signature --

woodsider

Steve Monks
Steve Monks Contributing Member • Posts: 648
So, not the "ponderously slow" Scotsman then...

The Flying Scotsman came through my town early this morning. Having never seen an actual steam locomotive out in the wild and a famous one at that, I decided I'd try and get some shots of it as it went past.

Unfortunately for this endeavour, Railtrack have spent the last few years electrifying the line that runs through Chorley and as part of this process had to rebuild all of the ancient railway bridges to make them high enough for the power cables to run beneath them. As part of this process they also increased the height of the walls on every bridge making them very difficult to see over, even for a six foot guy like myself.

The end result of all this is that good vantage points around town are now a bit limited and thus I found myself on the recently constructed multi storey (as in, it has one storey and a ground floor) car park behind the train station, giving me a clean, but cluttered view of the track as it left the station.

Thinking this might be my only chance to shoot this fabled loco, I decided to wheel out the big guns in the form of the Nikon D810 and the large section of drainpipe known as the Nikkor70-200 f/2.8 AF-S.

Now, people often complain that the E-M1 MKII + 12-100 is a big and heavy combination. I suspect these people have never used this Nikon combo then. I must be getting weak in my old age as I used to lug this lens with a D750 and a couple of others big lumps of glass all over the Lake District before switching to M43 to save my back, but today, just lifting and aiming this lump for any length of time felt like a proper workout.

As a backup, I'd also brought the E-M1 MKII + 12-100 f/4.0.

The train was scheduled for an 8:24 arrival, but as with most of my experiences with British Rail it was running late, eventually turning up at 8:47. By this time I'd been stood in the cold for half an hour and the cold was really starting to bite. However I'd used this time to practice panning and zooming the big Nikon, taking some test shots and checking the 3D tracking worked on a passing commuter train. I'd also decided to set the E-M1.2 up to shoot static video, but having not thought to bring a tripod, I ended up using its sling strap to lash it to the railing of the car park, a bit wobbly, but roughly pointing in the right direction.

As the distant whistle of the train approached, I set the E-M1.2 running, raised the Nikon to my eye, zoomed up to the end of the platform and waited. I was ready.

And that's when it all went wrong. I'd zoomed up to a point at the end of the platform with the intention of manually zooming back and panning as the train trundled past at a leisurely pace like the commuter train had earlier, but unlike the commuter train, there's a reason why this one is called The Flying Scotsman, which I soon realised as it first shot past the end of the platform and then past me at breakneck speed.

I panned to follow it, but I was zoomed in too tight and didn't react quickly enough when zooming back. With the camera firing in CL mode, I got my first shot of it emerging, but then realising it was going much faster than I'd expected I panicked as I panned and tried to zoom at the same time ending up leading the train so much that I first cut off the tender and then the footplate. What should have been the best shot had just the boiler in view as I hadn't zoomed back quickly enough for my panning rate.

In what seemed like an instant it was past me and racing off into the distance.

I quickly reviewed my shots with growing disappointment as I proceeded through the sequence. The camera had performed admirably, getting nice, sharp, well exposed images, but I'd thoroughly messed up.

Here are the two acceptable images that I took with the Nikon (full res, both significantly cropped);

This is the best one of the front of the engine. There's a ton of empty space cropped off on the right hand side. The plan had been to let the train move into the frame as I panned, but in panicking I panned too fast and every subsequent shot in the sequence crops off more and more of the left hand side of the train!

...and this is the only usable shot as it passed me.

There's also a really short video, taken with the E-M1 MKII on Youtube here...

It's nothing fancy, just a static shot of the train shooting past, but possibly of interest as it shows how fast the Scotsman flew while pulling ten carriages and a diesel locomotive!

As for me, I think I'll stick to pictures of mountains in future, they're much easier to work with as they don't move around as much

Steve Monks's gear list:Steve Monks's gear list
Sony RX100 V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D810 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +18 more
yyr
yyr Forum Pro • Posts: 12,583
Re: So, not the "ponderously slow" Scotsman then...

And every time I try to shoot something that moves my respect for those who shoot BIF deepens.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

yyr's gear list:yyr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R II Leica CL
yyr
Re: Blue and White...

Very simple but also very effective.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

yyr
Re: Good Evening

Well you got your reward. That is indeed lovely light in a very nice shot too. That's such a great little lens.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

yyr

Lichtspiel wrote:

Lovely scene. Wonderful IQ too, one would expect at least some CA, but I can't spot any. Go Leica.

I am not a purist, so, since it doesn't add anything, I would have mercilessly cloned out the shed-let.

Very little CA off the lenses but you can get some horrible stuff off the sensor if shooting directly at a source of light, something to do with not having an AA filter?

One shot from an exposure bracket. See those purple circles around the starburst...

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

Lichtspiel

yyr wrote:

Lichtspiel wrote:

Very little CA off the lenses but you can get some horrible stuff off the sensor if shooting directly at a source of light, something to do with not having an AA filter?

One shot from an exposure bracket. See those purple circles around the starburst...

Haha, yeah, that looks interesting. I don't think it is the missing AA filter (which leads to moire), but then again I have no clue what would be causing that dotty pattern. Sensor based PDAF? Not sure the CL has that.

yyr

Lichtspiel wrote:

yyr wrote:

Lichtspiel wrote:

Haha, yeah, that looks interesting. I don't think it is the missing AA filter (which leads to moire), but then again I have no clue what would be causing that dotty pattern. Sensor based PDAF? Not sure the CL has that.

There was a post about it on one of the Leica forums but I can't find it now. Whatever. Knowing what causes it doesn't help too much!!

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

bikenerd New Member • Posts: 24
Re: **PART 2** This Week Through Your Eyes 2019.11.30

A couple of takes on the same thing...

111jackny44
Re: So, not the "ponderously slow" Scotsman then...

After viewing the video, I say you "nailed" it in the first photo!!

-- hide signature --

19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 34,582

Not that it matters Yaelle, but I suspect that the round purple dots are caused by internal light reflections in the lens.  Even coated lenses will still have some reflection of light off the internal elements.  The sun is a very bright source and the centre of your star pattern is likely the source of the reflections.  Normal flare from shooting at a light source I would think.

Andrew

yyr

Thanks Andrew. I must try harder to find the post where it was discussed.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------

Wormsmeat
OP Wormsmeat Forum Pro • Posts: 18,758
***POST NO NEW PICS***

Next week's thread starting.

Wormsmeat's gear list:Wormsmeat's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads