**PART 2** This Week Through Your Eyes 2019.11.30

Started 4 days ago | Discussions
Wormsmeat
Wormsmeat Forum Pro • Posts: 18,392
**PART 2** This Week Through Your Eyes 2019.11.30
  • Please reply to my original post when submitting your own pictures.
  • Photos do not have to be taken on m4/3. This long-running thread is a community for both m4/3 users and also old friends who have moved away or are experimenting with other systems. Including me.
  • Give your reply a title.
  • Leave your guns and knives at the door. Keep it polite. There are plenty of other threads if you can’t manage that.
  • First thread kicks off Saturday morning (UK time).
  • Don’t add any photos to a thread after my ‘POST NO NEW PICS’ message (see below).
  • Newbies encouraged, any standard.
  • Avoid wasting thread space with replies such as “Thanks n/t”
  • Try to avoid separate posts with pictures of a similar theme. Put them all in the same post to avoid filling the threads too quickly.
  • Photographs do not have to have been taken this week.
  • Pictures of ducks in the local park, cherry blossom close ups or homeless people? C’mon, you’re better than that.
  • Posting here implies you’re happy to receive a critique of your work.

I start the next part of each thread before the previous one is full (at around 110/150 posts). This does not mean the current thread is closed. Continue to post replies to the older thread but please don't post any new PHOTOGRAPHS to it.

(If you’ve posted a picture in an earlier thread there'll still be room for you to receive a comment on it later in the week). It also prevents tail-enders in earlier threads from getting no comments at all because the thread to which they have posted is full.

-W

Wormsmeat's gear list:Wormsmeat's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +5 more
Wormsmeat
OP Wormsmeat Forum Pro • Posts: 18,392
Duke's Door

Don't ask. I have no idea either.

Wormsmeat's gear list:Wormsmeat's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +5 more
Steve Monks
Steve Monks Contributing Member • Posts: 614
The Priest Hole

Two days after my hike up Wetherlam and I was back in The Lake District.

This time I was visiting the Eastern Fells, specifically Dove Crag to seek out the legendary Priest Hole, a cave set high on the Northern face of Dove Crag that is often considered to be one of the worst kept secrets in the Lake District.

It's also a notorious accident spot, so getting to it was going to require a fair bit of care, particularly as the temperatures had plummeted since Friday and everything now had a nice slippery coating of Hoar Frost.

As it was another dry day I decided to take the X-H1 again accompanied with a trifecta of lenses, namely the 10-24, 16-55 and 55-200, with the 16-55 sitting on the camera for most of the day.

All images are single hand held exposures edited in Capture One Pro 12.

#1 - the ever photogenic Hartsop Dodd, reflected in Brother's Water.

#2 - fantastically intricate hoar frost covered everything.

#3 - this scene reminds me of something you might see fronting a Christmas card.

#4 - heading into Dovedale, with Dove Crag looming up ahead. The Priest Hole is set high on face of the rightmost crag.

#5 - the path becomes a little more challenging.

#6 - Dovedale contains some of the prettiest waterfalls I've seen in The Lake District. They certainly deserve spending a lot more time with them than I had on this walk.

#7 - deciding our next move. The Priest Hole is up there, somewhere, but where is the path?

#8 - the final ascent to The Priest Hole. Most visitors to this location are very cagey about exactly how to reach it. I'm not going to reveal it either, but this is more because I'm not sure how I would describe it, if I could find it again or even if the route was correct, which it probably wasn't.
To find it, we just struck off in the general direction scrambling over boulders looking for some trace of a path and eventually stumbling upon one, only to find out that it petered out after a while, leaving us back to scrambling again until we found the next path fragment and so on, and so on. Getting out was no better either!

#9 - the classic Priest Hole shot. Images like this are often posted on social media when someone has spent a night there. Having seen the accommodation on offer at this venue I wont be one of them.

#10 - included for context, this is what The Priest Hole actually comprises of. Rather than being an actual cave, it's basically a bit of a hollow under an overhang, that someone has built a low wall at the front of.

#11 - Hartsop as the sun is setting.

#12 - one of the best things about this time of year is I get to see the occasional sunset. Typically this means I've miscalculated how long the hike would take, but in this instance I timed it to perfection, getting down off the fells and back to the car just minutes before I'd have needed to unpack the headtorch.

Steve Monks's gear list:Steve Monks's gear list
Sony RX100 V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D810 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +18 more
Walt Palmer
Walt Palmer Senior Member • Posts: 1,663
Re: The Priest Hole

Thanks! A good tale, well told (and with glossy photographs, with "x"s and circles and all!). Now I'm tired. Thank you! That will be my workout for the week; maybe the month.

G Dickson Contributing Member • Posts: 673

Lovely as always Steve.  Number 12 for me - really nice image.

G Dickson's gear list:G Dickson's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Canon 6D Mark II +12 more
November Rain

The rains are so welcome.  After a year which has been the driest in Zambia for 40 years.  Unfortunately our house is not so weatherproof (we have window covers which we hadn't yet installed) and a massive storm from an unusual direction has seen me having to order a new laptop for when we are back in Europe in a couple of weeks.....   Fortunately my photos were all backed up so only thing hurt was my wallet.

Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Canon 6D Mark II +12 more
Sunday stroll

imrryr3859 Forum Member • Posts: 51
tree by the lake

imrryr3859's gear list:imrryr3859's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
imrryr3859 Forum Member • Posts: 51
..... and dukes not so far ;)

imrryr3859's gear list:imrryr3859's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
woodsider79
woodsider79 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,078

What a beautiful set. Sounds like quite an adventure. 3,4 and 12 are my picks.

-- hide signature --

woodsider

woodsider79
Re: November Rain

I love the way your images conjure up smells and sounds as well as just a visual impression. This is a great example. Sorry to hear about your laptop, but you give us all a reminder to back up!

-- hide signature --

woodsider

woodsider79
Smoke and Brimstone

Playing with camera movement in the geothermal caldera of Nisyros.

-- hide signature --

woodsider

oneofone25
oneofone25 Contributing Member • Posts: 750
some macro work...

I'll add my macro photography to the thread!  Make sure you open these full size to view as it's worth the difference!

All taken with EM1 mark 2, the MC-14 teleconverter, two Pixco 10mm extension tubes and the Olympus 60mm macro lens. I also used either the Raynox 250 or the Raynox 202 depending on the shot. All images are focus stacked in Helicon. I use the camera's focus bracketing mode to take anywhere from 30-300 images and then stack in Helicon. I will also use Olympus Capture to use the High Resolution mode and use High Res images to stack as well.

jumping spider, 7mm total length of spider

4 garnet sand grains stacked, 1mm total height

Eastern Tailed Blue Butterfly, 9mm long

Velvet Ant

The corner of the eye from a Horse Fly

single garnet sand grain balanced on a grain of black sand. FOV 1.5mm - garnet just over .25mm wide

oneofone25's gear list:oneofone25's gear list
Sony a6000 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Chris Oly Veteran Member • Posts: 3,902
Matter of degrees

Chris Oly's gear list:Chris Oly's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
Re: Duke's Door

Well captured. Is she checking the layout of the digs?

Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more

#1 AND # 9 (the Priest Hole) are my faves!

Re: November Rain

Angry sky at it's best!

Re: Sunday stroll

Well captured and no animals around.

Re: tree by the lake

Reflections in the water are great.

Re: Smoke and Brimstone

#1 is a total abstract masterpiece.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads