Aspect Ratios on Olympus cameras vs Panasonic?

Started 4 days ago | Questions
Andrew Mitchell Senior Member • Posts: 1,823
Aspect Ratios on Olympus cameras vs Panasonic?

I am thinking of buying my first M43 camera. My 2010 Sony A55 is on its last legs, and I’m getting a bit bored with the constant 28mm of my Fuji X70 (although I still use it).

It is a toss up between the older Olympus EM10 Mark 3, or the newer Panasonic GX9. I have not decided on a lens yet, but I’m more comfortable with primes than cheap zooms.  With the sales that are on at the moment, the Olympus is very, very competitively priced, even though my gut favors the Panasonic.

For better or worse, my favorite aspect ratio has always been 16:9 for stills (I don’t shoot much video).

My question is this: Is there any difference between the 2 cameras when shooting in 16:9? In Panasonic’s literature, 16:9 is listed as an option, but this is not the case with the Olympus, hence the question.

Any help would be most welcome. Thanks

-- hide signature --

Andrew (Brit expat in Taipei, Taiwan since 1985)

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Pentax X70 Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
fft2000 Contributing Member • Posts: 829
Re: Aspect Ratios on Olympus cameras vs Panasonic?

https://asia.olympus-imaging.com/product/dslr/em10mk3/spec.html

Aspect Ratio 4:3(Default) / 3:2 / 16:9 / 1:1 / 3:4

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 32,985

Andrew Mitchell wrote:

I am thinking of buying my first M43 camera. My 2010 Sony A55 is on its last legs, and I’m getting a bit bored with the constant 28mm of my Fuji X70 (although I still use it).

It is a toss up between the older Olympus EM10 Mark 3, or the newer Panasonic GX9. I have not decided on a lens yet, but I’m more comfortable with primes than cheap zooms. With the sales that are on at the moment, the Olympus is very, very competitively priced, even though my gut favors the Panasonic.

For better or worse, my favorite aspect ratio has always been 16:9 for stills (I don’t shoot much video).

My question is this: Is there any difference between the 2 cameras when shooting in 16:9? In Panasonic’s literature, 16:9 is listed as an option, but this is not the case with the Olympus, hence the question.

Page 73 of the E-M10 Mk3 manual says.....

"You can change the aspect ratio (horizontal-to-vertical ratio) when taking pictures.
Depending on your preference, you can set the aspect ratio to [4:3] (standard), [16:9],
[3:2], [1:1], or [3:4]."

So it's just like all the other Olympus and Panasonic bodies, they all do 16:9 if you need it.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +5 more
AllFlawed Regular Member • Posts: 209

Andrew Mitchell wrote:

It is a toss up between the older Olympus EM10 Mark 3, or the newer Panasonic GX9. I have not decided on a lens yet, but I’m more comfortable with primes than cheap zooms. With the sales that are on at the moment, the Olympus is very, very competitively priced, even though my gut favors the Panasonic.

I understood that Panasonic use oversized sensors on some of its camera to use the total image circle in different aspect ratios. They put a 2.2 crop on the LX100 to do this and keep the lens small but I understood they oversized the sensors in m43 to give this same facility.

Possibly someone can confirm. I would think Olympus just crop the 4/3 image.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/36715884

Panasonic seems the best for this ratio in this respect though it seems to be GH line.

AllFlawed's gear list:AllFlawed's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Canon PowerShot G5 X Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-PL9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
stokey Regular Member • Posts: 361

One thing to note. Olympus crops affect only the JPEG the raw image is always the full 4:3 sensor size.

Bob

same for panasonic.

and basically every other digital camera.

OP Andrew Mitchell Senior Member • Posts: 1,823

AllFlawed wrote:

Andrew Mitchell wrote:

I understood that Panasonic use oversized sensors on some of its camera to use the total image circle in different aspect ratios. They put a 2.2 crop on the LX100 to do this and keep the lens small but I understood they oversized the sensors in m43 to give this same facility.

Panasonic seems the best for this ratio in this respect though it seems to be GH line.

You’ve managed to write my question far better than I did! You hit the nail right on the head! Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Andrew (Brit expat in Taipei, Taiwan since 1985)

Dutch Newchurch
Dutch Newchurch Senior Member • Posts: 5,604

As an aside, the E-M10 mk ii is generally regarded as better for still photography than the mk iii (as well as being, now, less expensive).  The mk iii is better for video.

It's down to the controls.  Slightly fewer still photography options with the mk iii.

If you're interested in the detail, I suggest you post a new question.

-- hide signature --

Dutch
forestmoonstudio.co.uk
My DP Review gallery
Photography is about light, not light-proof boxes.

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 32,985

AllFlawed wrote:

Yes, the GH line seems to be the only M4/3 with multi aspect ratio sensors, the compact LX100 also has it, and I do know my old Panasonic LX3 compact also has it.

The benefit of course is that 16:9 then gives more pixels side to side than 3:2 or 4:3 ratio and thus in my case my LX3  "24mm" at 4:3 is more like "22mm" when at 16:9 when you consider side to side dimensions and not the usual diagonal measure.

As mentioned, Olympus never does that, at 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9 it's always the same pixel width and simply the top and bottom is cropped off.

With Olympus at least, when you shoot jpegs at say 16:9 then any accompanying raw file will always be the full 4:3 frame and can be cropped back to 16:9 later in post process.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +5 more
PeteGeordie Regular Member • Posts: 376

Andrew Mitchell wrote:

AllFlawed wrote:

Andrew Mitchell wrote:

You’ve managed to write my question far better than I did! You hit the nail right on the head! Thank you.

Panasonic MFT cameras do not have a "multi-aspect sensor"* so just crop the image. If you shoot in 16:9 the raw file is still 4:3 full image.

The GX9 definitely crops to the selected ratio.

* Maybe one of the GH cameras does??

-- hide signature --

Pete

PeteGeordie's gear list:PeteGeordie's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +8 more
AllFlawed Regular Member • Posts: 209

fft2000 wrote:

same for panasonic.

I do not understand your point. Panasonic do give full circle aspect ratios. The Canon G1X II gave this for 4:3 and 2:3 without a crop but not for 16:9.

The Panasonic compacts were pretty unique in doing this and I would think the m43 ones that do are also.

Which Olympus cameras have oversize sensors to use the full image circle to do this?

AllFlawed's gear list:AllFlawed's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Canon PowerShot G5 X Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-PL9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 5,558

fft2000 wrote:

same for panasonic.

The Sony A7 series produces a cropped RAW when shooting in APSC mode.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R +27 more
stokey Regular Member • Posts: 361

fft2000 wrote:

same for panasonic.

Not so. I have owned Panasonic cameras which cropped the raw.

ahaslett wrote:

fft2000 wrote:

same for panasonic.

Andrew

Several other FF cameras do the same.

But APSC-mode is something entirely different, it keeps the aspect ratio but completely crops in with a factor of 1.5. This is awesome as it saves space when you want to make use of the longer reach with the crop factor.

AllFlawed wrote:

fft2000 wrote:

same for panasonic.

I do not understand your point. Panasonic do give full circle aspect ratios. The Canon G1X II gave this for 4:3 and 2:3 without a crop but not for 16:9.

Not every panasonic camera, and AFAIK not the GX9. Some select models only have an oversized sensor.

Samuel Dilworth
Samuel Dilworth Regular Member • Posts: 423

Guy Parsons wrote:

AllFlawed wrote:

Yes, the GH line seems to be the only M4/3 with multi aspect ratio sensors

The ancient GH1 and GH2 cameras had this. I don’t think it was seen since until the arrival of the expensive, video-centric GH5S. So Panasonic cameras, including any GH cameras you’re likely to buy, behave the same as Olympus ones in this regard.

The multi-aspect-ratio feature is a tricky thing to advertise in a simple way, and Panasonic certainly never achieved it.

eques Veteran Member • Posts: 3,533
16:10

Andrew Mitchell wrote:

I don't notice a difference between GX7 and EM5.2 and I crop most of my images to fit my screen.

But I think the results depend more on the lenses you use. But with primes (excepting very few like the 2.8/17mm) there should be no problem at all.

Peter

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +2 more

stokey wrote:

fft2000 wrote:

same for panasonic.

Not so. I have owned Panasonic cameras which cropped the raw.

Which were those cameras?

And are you sure it wasn't just lightroom? I think I read that some versions cropped the raw file to the selected aspect ratio without an option to get back to the full sized RAW.

ahaslett

fft2000 wrote:

ahaslett wrote:

fft2000 wrote:

same for panasonic.

Andrew

Several other FF cameras do the same.

But APSC-mode is something entirely different, it keeps the aspect ratio but completely crops in with a factor of 1.5. This is awesome as it saves space when you want to make use of the longer reach with the crop factor.

I’d prefer an uncropped RAW, but it seems that that’s a minority preference.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin

ahaslett

Samuel Dilworth wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

AllFlawed wrote:

Yes, the GH line seems to be the only M4/3 with multi aspect ratio sensors

The ancient GH1 and GH2 cameras had this. I don’t think it was seen since until the arrival of the expensive, video-centric GH5S. So Panasonic cameras, including any GH cameras you’re likely to buy, behave the same as Olympus ones in this regard.

The multi-aspect-ratio feature is a tricky thing to advertise in a simple way, and Panasonic certainly never achieved it.

Not surprising when you think it’s essentially a larger sensor body that needs lenses that cover a bigger image circle.  Isn’t that like APSC with an MFT mount?

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads