G9 or M1.2 ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
OP Felice62 Senior Member • Posts: 2,572
Re: G9 or M1.2 ?

rockjano wrote:

Congratulation

Using a Black Friday deal even got a free battery

About $1000 (and we have 27% VAT which will come back az a company investment)

The best deal in photography right now (listen to the Youtuber Three Blind Man and an Elephant)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwWXQbW-1h8

rockjano

Felice62 wrote:

Yup. Done. Purchsed 30 mins ago.

I like their channel.

I had a great deal myself buying body only with 4 year extended warranty from Fowa Italy, at 820€ delivered.

I mean this is one of the best things happened to my wallet

-- hide signature --

If only closed minds came with closed mouths..

Felice62's gear list:Felice62's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +23 more
Pretoret Regular Member • Posts: 215

Felice62 wrote:

Stephane SHG wrote:

Hi, about the cameras I'd take the Olympus EM1 mk 2 without hesitation. The AF, features, size and olympus lenses make it a superb camera.

BUT, your EM1 mk 2 come from Grey market ( hong kong) while the G9 is from a good actual shop in France with 3 year warranty. If you are ok with Grey market I'd personnaly go with HDEWcameras. It's a very good shop with good support and 3 year warranty too. if you're not G9 it is..

Thank you for your contribution. Re the AF it really depends whether you need PDAF or not. I must confess the DFD autofocus of the G9 is darn fast. Certainly not slower then my A7R2. What are the features of the M1.2 that I would miss with the G9, if I may ask?

RE grey mearket I am not against, in principle. If the source is reputed I am fine with it.

But I'll check HDEWCameras for good!

Cheers

Felice

If you are ok for grey market I guess you should also be able to find some great deal for G9.
I am also into the market to replace my 'old' M5 MKII.
Currently best offers in france from known internet resellers seems to be about
1499€ for M1.2 -150€ olympus special offer until 15th of January 
and 1199€ for the G9 -200€ panasonic cashback. That makes a difference in favor of G9.
Not taking into account various current 'Black Friday offers' that might spare a few euros more.
I also keep an eye on new M5 MKIII as at 1199€  it is not so expensive given that for the most part it is on par with M1.2 and brings some interesting new options.
Might be available around 1000 - 1100€ soon, but since I have considered the G9 and its last firmware upgrade I can't make up my mind!
I am very tempted to switch to G9 but it is in a totally different league regarding size and weight. I am afraid I might loose the advantages of compact m4/3 for traveling and day to day use. I must say I also have Nikon D750 and D810 for higher quality landscapes, portraits and studio.

Pretoret's gear list:Pretoret's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +16 more

Pretoret wrote:

Felice62 wrote:

Stephane SHG wrote:

Hi, about the cameras I'd take the Olympus EM1 mk 2 without hesitation. The AF, features, size and olympus lenses make it a superb camera.

BUT, your EM1 mk 2 come from Grey market ( hong kong) while the G9 is from a good actual shop in France with 3 year warranty. If you are ok with Grey market I'd personnaly go with HDEWcameras. It's a very good shop with good support and 3 year warranty too. if you're not G9 it is..

Thank you for your contribution. Re the AF it really depends whether you need PDAF or not. I must confess the DFD autofocus of the G9 is darn fast. Certainly not slower then my A7R2. What are the features of the M1.2 that I would miss with the G9, if I may ask?

RE grey mearket I am not against, in principle. If the source is reputed I am fine with it.

But I'll check HDEWCameras for good!

Cheers

Felice

If you are ok for grey market I guess you should also be able to find some great deal for G9.
I am also into the market to replace my 'old' M5 MKII.
Currently best offers in france from known internet resellers seems to be about
1499€ for M1.2 -150€ olympus special offer until 15th of January
and 1199€ for the G9 -200€ panasonic cashback. That makes a difference in favor of G9.
Not taking into account various current 'Black Friday offers' that might spare a few euros more.
I also keep an eye on new M5 MKIII as at 1199€ it is not so expensive given that for the most part it is on par with M1.2 and brings some interesting new options.
Might be available around 1000 - 1100€ soon, but since I have considered the G9 and its last firmware upgrade I can't make up my mind!
I am very tempted to switch to G9 but it is in a totally different league regarding size and weight. I am afraid I might loose the advantages of compact m4/3 for traveling and day to day use. I must say I also have Nikon D750 and D810 for higher quality landscapes, portraits and studio.

I just finalized the purchase of my second G9. I got it at an incredible price (hope it will materialize for good..) with extended 4 yrs warranty. Although not exactly a small camera what I appreciuate a lot is its handling. It fits perfectly my hands and all the buttons are right there, where you expect them to be. Size matters but I am not a radical. Handling comes first. Lenses will have the same size of any other MFT camera out there. Some, like the m10.2 needed a L-bracket for me to be grabbed wit a certain degree of confidence...

To be honest I think my A7Rii will collect more and more dust....

-- hide signature --

Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +23 more
inlawbiker Senior Member • Posts: 1,914

Felice62 wrote:

Current deals en France.

M1 mark 2 at 849€ here and G9 at 899€ here

I wanted to add one more camera to my current gear (and get rid of some older bodies I still have).

I have the G9 and the M1. Until this weekend the G9 was at lest 200€ less than the best price i could find on a M1.2; Today the M1.2 is 50€ less.

I have been a Panasonic fan since the G1, but I went with the E-M1 II after trying the G9.

Why? First, I will say they are both so good it makes no difference in reality which you pick. Seriously, you can't lose.

To me, the Olympus is slightly smaller and feels better, the IBIS is marginally better and it has live composite mode.

If the G9 got live composite I'd probably have bought one, even though it's a bit larger than I would like. It's less expensive now, but a couple hundred makes no difference in the long run really.

The EVF is better and bigger. Dual IBIS works with more lenses, which I own and picked Olympus anyway. I also really like in-body charging, it's really convenient and I miss not having it.

See, if I traded the E-M1 II for a G9 I would be equally happy and unhappy, so it doesn't matter which you pick.

Greg

inlawbiker's gear list:inlawbiker's gear list
Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Nikon Z50 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more

inlawbiker wrote:

Felice62 wrote:

Current deals en France.

I wanted to add one more camera to my current gear (and get rid of some older bodies I still have).

I have the G9 and the M1. Until this weekend the G9 was at lest 200€ less than the best price i could find on a M1.2; Today the M1.2 is 50€ less.

I have been a Panasonic fan since the G1, but I went with the E-M1 II after trying the G9.

Why? First, I will say they are both so good it makes no difference in reality which you pick. Seriously, you can't lose.

To me, the Olympus is slightly smaller and feels better, the IBIS is marginally better and it has live composite mode.

If the G9 got live composite I'd probably have bought one, even though it's a bit larger than I would like. It's less expensive now, but a couple hundred makes no difference in the long run really.

The EVF is better and bigger. Dual IBIS works with more lenses, which I own and picked Olympus anyway. I also really like in-body charging, it's really convenient and I miss not having it.

See, if I traded the E-M1 II for a G9 I would be equally happy and unhappy, so it doesn't matter which you pick.

Greg

Thanks Greg.

It is indeed a matter of compromising and getting along with.

I went G9 today. I would have been equally (un)/happy if I went M1.2 which is a fantastic camera.

Felice

-- hide signature --

Winmeister
Winmeister Regular Member • Posts: 422
G9 or M1.2 ?..my story

Felice62 wrote:

Current deals en France.

I have various Olympus lenses and some Panasonic and PL..

I love the ergonomics of the G9 and its size is no problem. I haven't grabbed the M1.2 yet but I like the m1 and, generally, all olympus bodies I still have..

Given IQ is no object would you help me with some considerations I am not able to come up with, in order to make a choice?

The most obvious difference lies in the different AF system choice of course but I do not shoot sports, if not occasionally, nor BIF.

Thanks for your contributions

Felice4

Just bought 2 x G9 (to go with GX9)...here is my story..

I have 2 x EM1.2 (also EM1, EM5ii and EM10ii) and went with Olympus MFT system. To be honest, I loved the mirrorless but I wanted more resolutions (I print large posters for myself to hang on walls and also for my family of upto A0 size) and 16 and 20Mps was just a little small, so end up using switching to Sony A7Rii and A7Riii and Olympus was boxed up. Nikon System was too heavy to travel with.

Over the last a few months, I am using adapted shift lenses hand held with IBIS mirrorless bodies for cityscapes and architectural photography, which I love on my travels. With Sony, I can take 85MP with 3 x stitched pics with shift lenses without tripod.

I calculated that with shift lens on MFT, I can get at least 36-45MPs pics..getting close to my Nikon and Sony resolutions with MFT. I bought Nikon-MFT shift adapter...and NONE of my Olympus cameras' 'mirror box' clears the adapter! I was so disappointed and went back to using Sony. Then on spur of the moment on Ebay, I bought Panasonic GX9 to try using shift adapter again. After a few weeks of experiments, I am so very happy GX9 setup that I bite the bullet (and wallet) to switch to 2 X G9 + GX9 setup for my travels.

You can say that I am accidental Panasonic MFT user now but for me, GX9 and G9 will bring me back to MFT system finally where I want to be. Not convinced by High-Res modes (on Olympus) but Panasonic will have the option too. Looking fwd to Xmas holidays in Spain and France with my G9 and GX9!

Here is 3 x stitched pics using GX9 and shift lens using Nikon 18-35 lens as example.. 44MPs, uncropped.

Valencia Spain

Winmeister's gear list:Winmeister's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 +71 more
Re: G9 or M1.2 ?..my story

Very interesting. I think the flexibility of cameras packed in features like the G9 and M1.2 gives you so much latitude...

I have purchased my second G9 and 10 mins ago pulled the trigger on the PL50-200. THis is the setup I had in mind months ago and finally being materialized.

Now it's time for me to get rid of some unused gear I have and enjoy my wished for lineup.

BTW, huge and detailed panorama!

what will you visit in France?

I live in the south west.

Cheers

Felice

-- hide signature --

Winmeister

Felice62 wrote:

Very interesting. I think the flexibility of cameras packed in features like the G9 and M1.2 gives you so much latitude...

I have purchased my second G9 and 10 mins ago pulled the trigger on the PL50-200. THis is the setup I had in mind months ago and finally being materialized.

Now it's time for me to get rid of some unused gear I have and enjoy my wished for lineup.

Cheers

Felice

Thanks. Honestly, for me, shift lenses (only sharp ones and wide angles) has made MFT to pixel levels of my Nikon and Sony. Yes, takes about 6-8sec to shoot 3 x row in portrait mode hand-held. I have posters I printed on A0. Two of my favorite pics are 171Mps Pano and other is 'just' 36Mps of Nikon D800. They are hanging in my office, I can't not tell IQ even at close range...for me, because they are sharp images, regardless of MPs.

So, approximately 36MPs is my sweet spot..now with G9 or GX9, I can do that! PL50-200 is great lens! I was thinking about it, but I have 40-150 with 1.4X already, so even if heavy and no OIS, I will wait for a while.

I am planning to drive along coast of South of Spain toward Barcelona, Girona then to Perpignan. Leaving to my wife to plan exactly, so not entirely sure yet!

Enjoy G9 as well!!!

Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,089

Felice62 wrote:

I have purchased my second G9 and 10 mins ago pulled the trigger on the PL50-200.

Congrats on your purchase . you are not going to be disappointed  by this combo 

THis is the setup I had in mind months ago and finally being materialized.

sounds like a great idea. Based on what you wrote earlier , I assume making some money back on stuff you do not need anymore would also go well with your wife 

Many  great places to shoot there  . I grew up in the South East of France . May I ask where you are  from by the way ?

Cheers

Felice

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @ledaylightstudio.
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
IG :thedemandingtraveler

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more
Wildalaskaken
Wildalaskaken Contributing Member • Posts: 939

Felice62 wrote:

Adrian Harris wrote:

Oh my gosh I would happily buy a second em1-mk2 if I could at that price!!!

Wonderful camera, I feel totally spoiled being lucky enough to own one.

Before purchasing the G9, 6 months ago, I had been drooling over the M1.2 for months. Then I purchased the G9 and felt the camera was just the perfect combination of speed, features and handling. This is why I am know asking myself whether I should buy a second one, and the PL50-200, or go for the M1.2 with the 12-100.. The logical answer would be grab a second G9 for having a consistent setup, knowing that I have never felt its AF being sub-performing. On the contrary, it's lightning fast and accurate also in dimly lit venues.

I am not concerned by iq as both cameras produce excellent files and are practically on par, in this department, from what I've read and seen.

The easy answer is the G9 and 50-200. Thats what I own and its the best camera ever made, otherwise I wouldnt own it. Be thankful I dont change brands after you buy another one, because if I buy a Nikon or Cannon, the G9 will no longer be the best.

If you want to know what I use in the kitchen or what car I have so you can have the same, let me know

Wildalaskaken's gear list:Wildalaskaken's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Panasonic 45-200mm F4-5.6 II Panasonic Leica DG 50-200mm F2.8-4 +1 more
rockjano Senior Member • Posts: 2,639

inlawbiker wrote:

Felice62 wrote:

Current deals en France.

Greg

Hi

What is this live composite with Olympus I don't know that ???

Thanks

rockjano

rockjano's gear list:rockjano's gear list
Nikon D7200
rockjano Senior Member • Posts: 2,639

Hi

Great post Thank You

Which Nikon to MFT shift adapter do you use?

I am also a (well I would say former) Nikon user with a bunch of lenses

It would be nice to find a good tilt and/or shift adapter that uses probably ff Nikon lenses on an MFT body

Thanks

rockjano

I have 2 x EM1.2 (also EM1, EM5ii and EM10ii) and went with Olympus MFT system. To be honest, I loved the mirrorless but I wanted more resolutions (I print large posters for myself to hang on walls and also for my family of upto A0 size) and 16 and 20Mps was just a little small, so end up using switching to Sony A7Rii and A7Riii and Olympus was boxed up. Nikon System was too heavy to travel with.

Over the last a few months, I am using adapted shift lenses hand held with IBIS mirrorless bodies for cityscapes and architectural photography, which I love on my travels. With Sony, I can take 85MP with 3 x stitched pics with shift lenses without tripod.

I calculated that with shift lens on MFT, I can get at least 36-45MPs pics..getting close to my Nikon and Sony resolutions with MFT. I bought Nikon-MFT shift adapter...and NONE of my Olympus cameras' 'mirror box' clears the adapter! I was so disappointed and went back to using Sony. Then on spur of the moment on Ebay, I bought Panasonic GX9 to try using shift adapter again. After a few weeks of experiments, I am so very happy GX9 setup that I bite the bullet (and wallet) to switch to 2 X G9 + GX9 setup for my travels.

You can say that I am accidental Panasonic MFT user now but for me, GX9 and G9 will bring me back to MFT system finally where I want to be. Not convinced by High-Res modes (on Olympus) but Panasonic will have the option too. Looking fwd to Xmas holidays in Spain and France with my G9 and GX9!

Here is 3 x stitched pics using GX9 and shift lens using Nikon 18-35 lens as example.. 44MPs, uncropped.

Valencia Spain

rockjano's gear list:rockjano's gear list
Nikon D7200
JaKing
JaKing Senior Member • Posts: 6,226

rockjano wrote:

inlawbiker wrote:

Felice62 wrote:

Current deals en France.

Greg

Hi

What is this live composite with Olympus I don't know that ???

Thanks

rockjano

https://learnandsupport.getolympus.com/learn-center/photography-tips/fireworks-light-trails/7-ways-you-can-use-live-composite

HTH.

-- hide signature --

br, john, from you know where
My gear list and sordid past are here: https://www.dpreview.com/members/1558378718/overview
Gallery: https://www.canopuscomputing.com.au/zen2/page/gallery/

JaKing's gear list:JaKing's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus E-1 +28 more
mbike999
mbike999 Regular Member • Posts: 457

I just finalized the purchase of my second G9.

Congratulations! I think the G9 and Panasonic for that matter are the unsung heroes of the mirrorless world, and there's definitely something to be said about having a familiar camera bodies with identical settings where you can operate on pure muscle memory.

There is not much you cannot do with the G9 paired with the right lens. Truth of the matter is they (Panasonic) been doing this longer than anyone else starting way back with the GH1 and I think in a lot of ways it shows. I recently picked up the S1R, and it behaves very similarly to the G9 which I truly loved using - far more than Sony cameras...not saying Sony's are at all bad but I've discovered they are not my cup of tea.

Happy shooting

Winmeister

rockjano wrote:

Hi

Great post Thank You

Which Nikon to MFT shift adapter do you use?

I am also a (well I would say former) Nikon user with a bunch of lenses

It would be nice to find a good tilt and/or shift adapter that uses probably ff Nikon lenses on an MFT body

Thanks

rockjano

Valencia Spain

I use this adapter.

https://fotodioxpro.com/products/nikg-mft-p-shift

Works with Older Nikon Ai to G lenses. Can be third party too. Has an aperture ring, so I use my G and Tamron lenses.

Harold66 wrote:

Felice62 wrote:

I have purchased my second G9 and 10 mins ago pulled the trigger on the PL50-200.

Congrats on your purchase . you are not going to be disappointed by this combo

I won't I know.

sounds like a great idea. Based on what you wrote earlier , I assume making some money back on stuff you do not need anymore would also go well with your wife

That's all she asks for (stop accumulating )

Many great places to shoot there . I grew up in the South East of France . May I ask where you are from by the way ?

I am Italian but living in Toulouse.

Cheers

Felice

-- hide signature --

Wildalaskaken wrote:

Felice62 wrote:

Adrian Harris wrote:

Oh my gosh I would happily buy a second em1-mk2 if I could at that price!!!

Wonderful camera, I feel totally spoiled being lucky enough to own one.

Before purchasing the G9, 6 months ago, I had been drooling over the M1.2 for months. Then I purchased the G9 and felt the camera was just the perfect combination of speed, features and handling. This is why I am know asking myself whether I should buy a second one, and the PL50-200, or go for the M1.2 with the 12-100.. The logical answer would be grab a second G9 for having a consistent setup, knowing that I have never felt its AF being sub-performing. On the contrary, it's lightning fast and accurate also in dimly lit venues.

I am not concerned by iq as both cameras produce excellent files and are practically on par, in this department, from what I've read and seen.

The easy answer is the G9 and 50-200. Thats what I own and its the best camera ever made, otherwise I wouldnt own it. Be thankful I dont change brands after you buy another one, because if I buy a Nikon or Cannon, the G9 will no longer be the best.

If you want to know what I use in the kitchen or what car I have so you can have the same, let me know

LoL

-- hide signature --

mbike999 wrote:

I just finalized the purchase of my second G9.

Congratulations! I think the G9 and Panasonic for that matter are the unsung heroes of the mirrorless world, and there's definitely something to be said about having a familiar camera bodies with identical settings where you can operate on pure muscle memory.

There is not much you cannot do with the G9 paired with the right lens. Truth of the matter is they (Panasonic) been doing this longer than anyone else starting way back with the GH1 and I think in a lot of ways it shows. I recently picked up the S1R, and it behaves very similarly to the G9 which I truly loved using - far more than Sony cameras...not saying Sony's are at all bad but I've discovered they are not my cup of tea.

Happy shooting

Thanks. This is pretty much my belief as well. My Sony gear is collecting dust just because my mft gear is so much more fun to use...

cheers

Felice

-- hide signature --

yup

-- hide signature --

Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,089

Felice62 wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

Felice62 wrote:

Congrats on your purchase . you are not going to be disappointed by this combo

I won't I know.

That's all she asks for (stop accumulating )

I am not married but I also want to get rid of stuff I no longer use. So my em5 II and the olympus 45mm and 75mm are going to be put for sale now

Many great places to shoot there . I grew up in the South East of France . May I ask where you are from by the way ?

I am Italian but living in Toulouse.

Thanks for the info 😉. And I am a French living in Spain

Cheers

Felice

Greetings

Harold

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @ledaylightstudio.
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
IG :thedemandingtraveler

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads