G9 or M1.2 ?

Started 4 days ago | Discussions
Felice62
Felice62 Senior Member • Posts: 2,323
G9 or M1.2 ?

Current deals en France.

M1 mark 2 at 849€  here  and G9 at 899€ here

I wanted to add one more camera to my current gear (and get rid of some older bodies I still have).

I have the G9 and the M1. Until this weekend the G9 was at lest 200€ less than the best price i could find on a M1.2; Today the M1.2 is 50€ less.

I have various Olympus lenses and  some Panasonic and PL..

I love the ergonomics of the G9 and its size is no problem. I haven't grabbed the M1.2 yet but I like the m1 and, generally, all olympus bodies I still have..

Given IQ is no object would you help me with some considerations I am not able to come up with, in order to make a choice?

The most obvious difference lies in the different AF system choice of course but I do not shoot sports, if not occasionally, nor BIF.

Thanks for your contributions

Felice

-- hide signature --

If only closed minds came with closed mouths..

Felice62's gear list:Felice62's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +28 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JaKing
JaKing Senior Member • Posts: 5,858
Re: G9 or M1.2 ?

Felice, I voted with my wallet for the E-M1 MkII + 12-100 at release.

Never regretted either for an instant.

Some pics I took at the Terracotta Warriors exhibition here (all the ones I took there). All with this combo.

https://canopuscomputing.com.au/zen2/Cities/Melbourne/NGV/Terracotta%20Warriors/

e.g.

-- hide signature --

br, john, from you know where
My gear list and sordid past are here: https://www.dpreview.com/members/1558378718/overview
Gallery: https://www.canopuscomputing.com.au/zen2/page/gallery/

JaKing's gear list:JaKing's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus E-1 +28 more
Felice62
OP Felice62 Senior Member • Posts: 2,323

JaKing wrote:

Some pics I took at the Terracotta Warriors exhibition here (all the ones I took there). All with this combo.

https://canopuscomputing.com.au/zen2/Cities/Melbourne/NGV/Terracotta%20Warriors/

e.g.

Thank you. Wonderful.

This is the one combo I am after to.. The other one being G9 + 50-200.

The 12-100 is a stellar lens.

Grazie for your guidance

-- hide signature --

Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +28 more
Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 5,463

Oh my gosh I would happily buy a second em1-mk2 if I could at that price!!!

Wonderful camera, I feel totally spoiled being lucky enough to own one.

-- hide signature --
 Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +1 more
929406 Regular Member • Posts: 253

Agreed the EM1.2 with the 12-100 is an awesome combo, I've had mine for about a month and the loving the zoom range and versatility.  That said I am curious if the G9 with recent firmware would be a good combo with the EM1.2 for video?  It kind of does some interesting things that the EM1.2 does not on the video side.

I also would like to pick up an EM1x when the price comes down further.

929406's gear list:929406's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a6400 +15 more
Inkentshane New Member • Posts: 4

I was in your position a few months ago and chose Olympus. I love the e-m1 II and the Pro lenses are wonderful.

Great prices btw.

Felice62

Adrian Harris wrote:

Oh my gosh I would happily buy a second em1-mk2 if I could at that price!!!

Wonderful camera, I feel totally spoiled being lucky enough to own one.

Before purchasing the G9, 6 months ago, I had been drooling over the M1.2 for months. Then I purchased the G9 and felt the camera was just the perfect combination of speed, features and handling. This is why I am know asking myself whether I should buy a second one, and the PL50-200, or go for the M1.2 with the 12-100.. The logical answer would be grab a second G9 for having a consistent setup, knowing that I have never felt its AF being sub-performing. On the contrary, it's lightning fast and accurate also in dimly lit venues.

I am not concerned by iq as both cameras produce excellent files and are practically on par, in this department, from what I've read and seen.

-- hide signature --

Felice62

929406 wrote:

Agreed the EM1.2 with the 12-100 is an awesome combo, I've had mine for about a month and the loving the zoom range and versatility. That said I am curious if the G9 with recent firmware would be a good combo with the EM1.2 for video? It kind of does some interesting things that the EM1.2 does not on the video side.

I would probably selle the 12-40 Pro and replace it with the 12-100 for the added reach and versatility.

-- hide signature --

Felice62

Inkentshane wrote:

I was in your position a few months ago and chose Olympus. I love the e-m1 II and the Pro lenses are wonderful.

Great prices btw.

Yes. The PRo line of lenses from Olympus is just gorgeous in all aspects.

-- hide signature --

Stephane SHG
Stephane SHG Forum Member • Posts: 59

Hi, about the cameras I'd take the Olympus EM1 mk 2 without hesitation. The AF, features, size and olympus lenses make it a superb camera.

BUT, your EM1 mk 2 come from Grey market ( hong kong) while the G9 is from a good actual shop in France with 3 year warranty. If you are ok with Grey market I'd personnaly go with HDEWcameras. It's a very good shop with good support and 3 year warranty too.  if you're not G9 it is.

Felice62

Stephane SHG wrote:

Hi, about the cameras I'd take the Olympus EM1 mk 2 without hesitation. The AF, features, size and olympus lenses make it a superb camera.

BUT, your EM1 mk 2 come from Grey market ( hong kong) while the G9 is from a good actual shop in France with 3 year warranty. If you are ok with Grey market I'd personnaly go with HDEWcameras. It's a very good shop with good support and 3 year warranty too. if you're not G9 it is..

Thank you for your contribution. Re the AF it really depends whether you need PDAF or not. I must confess the DFD autofocus of the G9 is darn fast. Certainly not slower then my A7R2. What are the features of the M1.2 that I would miss with the G9, if I may ask?

RE grey mearket I am not against, in principle. If the source is reputed I am fine with it.

But I'll check HDEWCameras for good!

Cheers

Felice

-- hide signature --

brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 8,563

Felice62 wrote:

JaKing wrote:

e.g.

Thank you. Wonderful.

I shoot Olympus (2 E-M1 Mk II, 2 E-M1X). I also have both lenses. IMHO the 50-200/2.8-4.0 is the sharpest lens I own, works fine on Olympus cameras.

The 12-100 is a stellar lens.

Grazie for your guidance

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6400 Olympus OM-D E-M1X +23 more

Felice62 wrote:

929406 wrote:

Agreed the EM1.2 with the 12-100 is an awesome combo, I've had mine for about a month and the loving the zoom range and versatility. That said I am curious if the G9 with recent firmware would be a good combo with the EM1.2 for video? It kind of does some interesting things that the EM1.2 does not on the video side.

I would probably selle the 12-40 Pro and replace it with the 12-100 for the added reach and versatility.

I also have the 12-40 with the 12-100. I have way too many 5 & 10K events in late October through December where I need the extra stop that the 12-40 provides.

Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6400 Olympus OM-D E-M1X +23 more
Felice62

brianric wrote:

Felice62 wrote:

JaKing wrote:

e.g.

Thank you. Wonderful.

I shoot Olympus (2 E-M1 Mk II, 2 E-M1X). I also have both lenses. IMHO the 50-200/2.8-4.0 is the sharpest lens I own, works fine on Olympus cameras.

Yes the 50-200 is a nice zoom. I would let my 40-150 pro go, if I purchased the PL.

The advantage of the dual IS would not be negligible, though.

-- hide signature --

Felice62

brianric wrote:

Felice62 wrote:

929406 wrote:

I also have the 12-40 with the 12-100. I have way too many 5 & 10K events in late October through December where I need the extra stop that the 12-40 provides.

In your case it is heavily justified. Also the weight reduction over the 12-100, if you don't need the extra reach is helpful.

Not to mention the 12-40 is darn sharp throughout the FL range..

-- hide signature --

Felice62 wrote:

brianric wrote:

Felice62 wrote:

JaKing wrote:

e.g.

Thank you. Wonderful.

Yes the 50-200 is a nice zoom. I would let my 40-150 pro go, if I purchased the PL.

I also have the 40-150/2.8. If I have enough light the 50-200 gets the nod. As I mentioned before I have too many events in late October through December where f/2.8 comes in handy.

mbike999
mbike999 Regular Member • Posts: 385

I have owned and used both. They are both outstanding cameras.

The E-M1 II if you want the smaller camera with slightly better OIS when paired with compatible Olympus Pro glass, and higher reliability of the AF with fast action type shooting, or if you just like the feel and operation of Olympus.

The G9 if you want a better (IMO) hybrid camera with excellent video features, a focus point selector joystick, much better viewfinder and a more ergonomic body, better menus IMO. The AF experience is different because it uses DFD vs Phase detection. Some people are turned off by the visual nature of DFD when using AF-C (it didn't bother me personally), but my experience is AF-S is dead accurate. I also adore the pinpoint and AF Point scope features on G9. Similar to Olympus, you will have to purchase Lumix lenses to take advantage of Dual-IS feature.

In this case, given your shooting preferences I would pick the body that goes along with the lenses you want (although be assured that mixing and matching brands will still provide excellent performance) and choose which one you like using more if you can try them first.

You can't go wrong really.

-- hide signature --
Felice62

mbike999 wrote:

I have owned and used both. They are both outstanding cameras.

The E-M1 II if you want the smaller camera with slightly better OIS when paired with compatible Olympus Pro glass, and higher reliability of the AF with fast action type shooting, or if you just like the feel and operation of Olympus.

The G9 if you want a better (IMO) hybrid camera with excellent video features, a focus point selector joystick, much better viewfinder and a more ergonomic body, better menus IMO. The AF experience is different because it uses DFD vs Phase detection. Some people are turned off by the visual nature of DFD when using AF-C (it didn't bother me personally), but my experience is AF-S is dead accurate. I also adore the pinpoint and AF Point scope features on G9. Similar to Olympus, you will have to purchase Lumix lenses to take advantage of Dual-IS feature.

In this case, given your shooting preferences I would pick the body that goes along with the lenses you want (although be assured that mixing and matching brands will still provide excellent performance) and which one you like using more if you can try them first.

You can't go wrong really.

Thanks. I do have the G9. I have owned and still own a few olympus bodies. I like the build quality of Olympus gear. It feels very good. I have never grabbed the M1.2 and have no reason to think it is not an outstanding camera to hold and operate. I was really impressed by the snappy behavior of the G9, its touch screen the extremely adaptability to one's workflow, the great EVF, joystick, customized focus patterns, dual UHS-2 card slots, battery life and with the newest firmware, the addition of animal detection (I haven't tested it yet..) and improvements of the already impressive video features..

I know I can't go wrong with any of the two bodies, it now only boils down to personal preferences, which I can't come up with.

It is going to be my Christmas gift so I want it to be the right one.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

mbike999
mbike999 Regular Member • Posts: 385

I know I can't go wrong with any of the two bodies, it now only boils down to personal preferences, which I can't come up with.

Hmm...in that case I think you need to choose between having the same body with the familiar button layout and feel, or experimenting with something new.

The Olympus will at least have the advantage of on-sensor PDAF, but you may find the viewfinder and lack of a joystick a little disappointing coming from the G9. Other than this they are a wash in a lot of ways.

What lenses do you own or plan to acquire?

-- hide signature --
Harold66
Harold66 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,488

Felice62 wrote:

brianric wrote:

Felice62 wrote:

JaKing wrote:

e.g.

Thank you. Wonderful.

I don t know how often you plan to travel with the two bodies or if you plan to purchase a second body or only when you are close to home , but considering what you have written  I find it difficult to think on why you would consider the Em1II over the G9

a few reasons

if you travel with the two bodies you will save space and hassle by not having to carry different chargers and different  bodies

the G9 has way better ergonomics than the Olympus and don t get me started on the menus of the olympus

if you have gotten comfortable with the great LCD on the G9 you are going to miss it more than you think

DUAL IS is a huge thing especially  when using telephotos. I am NOT a zoom guy but the Panasonic Leica is probably the  best zoom I have EVER had all brands and systems included in my twenty five year as a photographer

for me it makes NO sense to buy the olympus if you plan to buy the PL tele zoom

Harold

FOLLOW me on IG @ledaylightstudio.
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
IG :thedemandingtraveler

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads