Ping Pong

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 16,803
Re: Ping Pong
2

MikePennPhoto wrote:

KCook wrote:

Ok, color me 'tupid

Even if "ping pong" does convey an Asian connection, in exactly what way is that connection offensive??? Feel free to call me a honky cowboy all you like.

Serious question.

Urban Dictionary

ping pong1. a slang/racist term for what is referd to as an asian or an oriental person
Perception that the kids were named Ping and Pong

So, to cut to the chase, any and all terms that imply a race assignment must be considered offensive?

student

 KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5
molly marsh
molly marsh Senior Member • Posts: 1,744
Re: Ping Pong
2

SteveS58 wrote:

Ping

Pong

Hi again...

i took the title as the guy watching a game of table tennis,,, his head looking in different directions in both shots,, hence my reference to the time between shots.... there was a tv show called Little  Britain where they did a skit to do with a Thai lady called ping pong,,,, they also did a skit about the only gay in the village,,, i was never offended at that...

all other associations between ping pong and Asia people must be before my time or maybe not an Australian thing..

molly

-- hide signature --

‘’ Am I Bovvered??? ‘’. No never!!!

OP SteveS58 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,290
Re: Ping Pong

molly marsh wrote:

SteveS58 wrote:

Ping

Pong

Hi again...

i took the title as the guy watching a game of table tennis,,, his head looking in different directions in both shots,, hence my reference to the time between shots.... there was a tv show called Little Britain where they did a skit to do with a Thai lady called ping pong,,,, they also did a skit about the only gay in the village,,, i was never offended at that...

all other associations between ping pong and Asia people must be before my time or maybe not an Australian thing..

molly

Appreciate your thoughts Molly.

Steve

-- hide signature --

Steve Schulman
Steve Schulman Photography

Forgottenbutnotgone Senior Member • Posts: 1,251
Re: Ping Pong
5

Barry Duggan Photography wrote:

Yes, I understand what ping pong is. I know its a sport, but it's also the most popular in China.

Which is only significant if one is racist.

Had there been a table tennis table in the photo then there would be no issue. Instead we have an Asian family standing there. I still have no idea as to where or why you chose this title.

You may not, but apparently he did. You feel a way about the title that apparently the OP did not.

I could go to give examples of other racist slurs used against Asians but I wont.

Examples that would be irrelevant to someone who intentions were not malicious.

What I do find baffling it the failure of most people here to comprehend how this title could be perceived to be racist.

No one fails to comprehend that. On the other hand, no one fails to comprehend that you can make anything racist if you are bent on doing so.

For the record I'm not calling anyone a racist.

It would be easier to make the case that you are doing just that, than it would be make the case that the OP's post is racist.

At worst, the title is racist, at best, it was a poor judgement call from yourself.

At worst, you probably would have been better off saying that the title appeared racist to you, and at best you could have refrained from accusing the OP of not having common sense, and of putting on an act. If the OP made the post maliciously, shame on him. If he did not, shame on you for accusing him of having ulterior motives, especially on a public forum.

Robert

ALio Forum Member • Posts: 98
Re: Ping Pong

This did sting a little. The title is fine in a vacuum, but when I clicked in and saw Asians, I was a little taken aback. I chalked it up to a bit of cultural insensitivity rather than deliberate racism.

OP SteveS58 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,290
Re: Ping Pong
4

ALio wrote:

This did sting a little. The title is fine in a vacuum, but when I clicked in and saw Asians, I was a little taken aback. I chalked it up to a bit of cultural insensitivity rather than deliberate racism.

I have a long history of posting here.  This is a first that the insinuation has been made that I've  posted something purposely with racial overtones.  Frankly, I don't congregate with people who use racial epithets.  I live in a multicultural community with neighbors who are of asian descent.  I've never heard of the phrase "ping pong" as a derogatory term for asians.  If you go back to a previous post, my association was relating the term to "action and reaction" which is what ping pong is all about.  And the game the mother and daughter were playing was something I played with my own daughter when she was young.

IMO, this whole thing was blown out of proportion by the op.  He could have simply said, do you realize that ping pong is a derogatory term for asians, and I would have humbly apologized, being ignorant of that.  But hIs response was "drop the act, no one can be that dumb" which started a cascade of responses.  This is supposed to be a community of helpful and sharing photographers without an agenda but it sometimes falls short of that.

Steve

-- hide signature --

Steve Schulman
Steve Schulman Photography

ALio Forum Member • Posts: 98
Re: Ping Pong

SteveS58 wrote:

ALio wrote:

This did sting a little. The title is fine in a vacuum, but when I clicked in and saw Asians, I was a little taken aback. I chalked it up to a bit of cultural insensitivity rather than deliberate racism.

I have a long history of posting here. This is a first that the insinuation has been made that I've posted something purposely with racial overtones. Frankly, I don't congregate with people who use racial epithets. I live in a multicultural community with neighbors who are of asian descent. I've never heard of the phrase "ping pong" as a derogatory term for asians. If you go back to a previous post, my association was relating the term to "action and reaction" which is what ping pong is all about. And the game the mother and daughter were playing was something I played with my own daughter when she was young.

IMO, this whole thing was blown out of proportion by the op. He could have simply said, do you realize that ping pong is a derogatory term for asians, and I would have humbly apologized, being ignorant of that. But hIs response was "drop the act, no one can be that dumb" which started a cascade of responses. This is supposed to be a community of helpful and sharing photographers without an agenda but it sometimes falls short of that.

Steve

I find your explanation credible, and do not believe any negative racial undertone was intentional.

MikePennPhoto
MikePennPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,540
Re: Ping Pong

SteveS58 wrote:

ALio wrote:

This did sting a little. The title is fine in a vacuum, but when I clicked in and saw Asians, I was a little taken aback. I chalked it up to a bit of cultural insensitivity rather than deliberate racism.

I have a long history of posting here. This is a first that the insinuation has been made that I've posted something purposely with racial overtones. Frankly, I don't congregate with people who use racial epithets. I live in a multicultural community with neighbors who are of asian descent. I've never heard of the phrase "ping pong" as a derogatory term for asians. If you go back to a previous post, my association was relating the term to "action and reaction" which is what ping pong is all about. And the game the mother and daughter were playing was something I played with my own daughter when she was young.

IMO, this whole thing was blown out of proportion by the op. He could have simply said, do you realize that ping pong is a derogatory term for asians, and I would have humbly apologized, being ignorant of that. But hIs response was "drop the act, no one can be that dumb" which started a cascade of responses. This is supposed to be a community of helpful and sharing photographers without an agenda but it sometimes falls short of that.

Steve

Have you asked the mod to add the explanation of this game to the original post ?

-- hide signature --

www.michaelpennphotography.com

OP SteveS58 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,290
Re: Ping Pong

MikePennPhoto wrote:

SteveS58 wrote:

ALio wrote:

This did sting a little. The title is fine in a vacuum, but when I clicked in and saw Asians, I was a little taken aback. I chalked it up to a bit of cultural insensitivity rather than deliberate racism.

I have a long history of posting here. This is a first that the insinuation has been made that I've posted something purposely with racial overtones. Frankly, I don't congregate with people who use racial epithets. I live in a multicultural community with neighbors who are of asian descent. I've never heard of the phrase "ping pong" as a derogatory term for asians. If you go back to a previous post, my association was relating the term to "action and reaction" which is what ping pong is all about. And the game the mother and daughter were playing was something I played with my own daughter when she was young.

IMO, this whole thing was blown out of proportion by the op. He could have simply said, do you realize that ping pong is a derogatory term for asians, and I would have humbly apologized, being ignorant of that. But hIs response was "drop the act, no one can be that dumb" which started a cascade of responses. This is supposed to be a community of helpful and sharing photographers without an agenda but it sometimes falls short of that.

Steve

Have you asked the mod to add the explanation of this game to the original post ?

Mike:

Best to let all of this lie and go on to more important matters.  For all concerned, this is not the finest hour of this forum.  Up to Martin, but I have no objection to him deleting the whole thread.

Steve

-- hide signature --

Steve Schulman
Steve Schulman Photography

MikePennPhoto
MikePennPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,540
Re: Ping Pong

SteveS58 wrote:

MikePennPhoto wrote:

SteveS58 wrote:

ALio wrote:

This did sting a little. The title is fine in a vacuum, but when I clicked in and saw Asians, I was a little taken aback. I chalked it up to a bit of cultural insensitivity rather than deliberate racism.

I have a long history of posting here. This is a first that the insinuation has been made that I've posted something purposely with racial overtones. Frankly, I don't congregate with people who use racial epithets. I live in a multicultural community with neighbors who are of asian descent. I've never heard of the phrase "ping pong" as a derogatory term for asians. If you go back to a previous post, my association was relating the term to "action and reaction" which is what ping pong is all about. And the game the mother and daughter were playing was something I played with my own daughter when she was young.

IMO, this whole thing was blown out of proportion by the op. He could have simply said, do you realize that ping pong is a derogatory term for asians, and I would have humbly apologized, being ignorant of that. But hIs response was "drop the act, no one can be that dumb" which started a cascade of responses. This is supposed to be a community of helpful and sharing photographers without an agenda but it sometimes falls short of that.

Steve

Have you asked the mod to add the explanation of this game to the original post ?

Mike:

Best to let all of this lie and go on to more important matters. For all concerned, this is not the finest hour of this forum. Up to Martin, but I have no objection to him deleting the whole thread.

Steve

It's called a conversation and not all of them are or need to be happy little moments. What this conversation does show is that not everyone sees things the same way which is what most of photography is about.

-- hide signature --

www.michaelpennphotography.com

OP SteveS58 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,290
Re: Ping Pong
1

MikePennPhoto wrote:

SteveS58 wrote:

MikePennPhoto wrote:

SteveS58 wrote:

ALio wrote:

This did sting a little. The title is fine in a vacuum, but when I clicked in and saw Asians, I was a little taken aback. I chalked it up to a bit of cultural insensitivity rather than deliberate racism.

I have a long history of posting here. This is a first that the insinuation has been made that I've posted something purposely with racial overtones. Frankly, I don't congregate with people who use racial epithets. I live in a multicultural community with neighbors who are of asian descent. I've never heard of the phrase "ping pong" as a derogatory term for asians. If you go back to a previous post, my association was relating the term to "action and reaction" which is what ping pong is all about. And the game the mother and daughter were playing was something I played with my own daughter when she was young.

IMO, this whole thing was blown out of proportion by the op. He could have simply said, do you realize that ping pong is a derogatory term for asians, and I would have humbly apologized, being ignorant of that. But hIs response was "drop the act, no one can be that dumb" which started a cascade of responses. This is supposed to be a community of helpful and sharing photographers without an agenda but it sometimes falls short of that.

Steve

Have you asked the mod to add the explanation of this game to the original post ?

Mike:

Best to let all of this lie and go on to more important matters. For all concerned, this is not the finest hour of this forum. Up to Martin, but I have no objection to him deleting the whole thread.

Steve

It's called a conversation and not all of them are or need to be happy little moments. What this conversation does show is that not everyone sees things the same way which is what most of photography is about.

Sorry, I don't see it that way.  If you go back and look at the threads in this post, there was only one comment about whether the photos I posted had any critical merit, and that was a snide comment that the photos should be "binned."  This whole matter is a distraction from the purpose of this forum which is supposed foster a greater appreciation and understanding of this creative art that we all love and share.

I would think that you more than most here would have an understanding of the importance of keeping the forum on track as you have been a target for many hurtful and inappropriate  comments since your arrival.

Steve

-- hide signature --

Steve Schulman
Steve Schulman Photography

Forgottenbutnotgone Senior Member • Posts: 1,251
Re: Ping Pong
2

ALio wrote:

This did sting a little. The title is fine in a vacuum, but when I clicked in and saw Asians, I was a little taken aback. I chalked it up to a bit of cultural insensitivity rather than deliberate racism.

That would be a better way to go. Maybe a private message explaining how the post may look to some people would be more appropriate than blasting someone who may have had no ill intent.

Robert

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads