Paintshop Pro 2020

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
bigfatron Contributing Member • Posts: 777
Re: Paintshop Pro 2020

Chris 222 wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

But I'm now even more annoyed by Corel's constant ad bombardment; it guarantees that I'll never spend anything with Corel again.

Nigel... ever heard of SimpleWall? Just set it to block Corel's nagware and you're done. BTW it can also protect you from M$'s "new and upgraded" tunneling into your PC and into whatever is on your HD (i.e. for most non-IT people, your entire private life...)

Other solutions available on PSP forum if memory serves.

FWIW anybody who gets PSP Ultimate (18, 19 or 20) gets a slimmed-down, but still very powerful, version of Perfectly Clear, hands down the best automatic correction software, especially for those who only shoot JPEG. THAT is where the real value of PSP is, as things stand right now.

The nags come from a scheduled task that gets installed. Its easy enough to disable if you know where to look.

bigfatron's gear list:bigfatron's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +3 more
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 12,216

bigfatron wrote:

Chris 222 wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

But I'm now even more annoyed by Corel's constant ad bombardment; it guarantees that I'll never spend anything with Corel again.

Nigel... ever heard of SimpleWall? Just set it to block Corel's nagware and you're done. BTW it can also protect you from M$'s "new and upgraded" tunneling into your PC and into whatever is on your HD (i.e. for most non-IT people, your entire private life...)

Other solutions available on PSP forum if memory serves.

FWIW anybody who gets PSP Ultimate (18, 19 or 20) gets a slimmed-down, but still very powerful, version of Perfectly Clear, hands down the best automatic correction software, especially for those who only shoot JPEG. THAT is where the real value of PSP is, as things stand right now.

The nags come from a scheduled task that gets installed. Its easy enough to disable if you know where to look.

Yes, I'm sure that must be the case, but I don't know, and haven't searched.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 III +18 more

I decided to compare one of the few new features that had been added to PSP in recent years with its nearest equivalent in AP. The PSP feature is called Magic Fill, and can be used to remove objects or fill the black triangles at the edges of images that have been straightened. The AP Inpainting Brush Tool is more sophisticated, but has a a similar function. Rather than selecting and filling an area, you paint over the object or area to be replaced, with numerous options for controlling the brush size, opacity, etc. I just used the default in the test.

In both products, the first attempt isn't always perfect, so you can apply the tool multiple times, or finish off using cloning, etc. But in this test, I only applied each tool once, so we see the first attempts they made. Obviously, the better their first attempt, the less additional work needed.

First, let's see the image I used. It was processed from RAW in DxO PL, and I used ViewPoint to adjust the perspective, which left the large black triangle on the top left, which I want to fill. I will also be removing an object from it (the small red sign near the middle):

This is Leonardo da Vinci's Château du Clos Lucé in Amboise, France, where he lived the last three years of his life

-

I then used PSP and AP to fill the black triangle. In both cases, this is their one-click, default first attempt, with no fine-tuning, and no feathering:

The PSP attempt is quite poor, and will need a lot more work; the AP first attempt is pretty good, and will need little more work.

-

I then decided to use both tools to remove an object near the centre of the image. It's the small red sign. I selected the area around it in PSP, and used Magic Fill, and painted over it with the Inpainting Brush in AP. Again, these are both products' first attempts:

The PSP effort will need more work; the AP effort is usable with little further work

Finally, these are both of the edited images:

PSP 2018 (20.2.0.1 x64) version

Affinity Photo  1.7.3.481

-

It's this sort of thing that convinced me to make the switch from PSP to AP. Yes, there's some re-learning, as some of the UI and tools are different, but it's worth it.

Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 III +18 more
geru Senior Member • Posts: 1,050

Digital Nigel wrote:

I decided to compare one of the few new features that had been added to PSP in recent years with its nearest equivalent in AP. The PSP feature is called Magic Fill, and can be used to remove objects or fill the black triangles at the edges of images that have been straightened. The AP Inpainting Brush Tool is more sophisticated, but has a a similar function. Rather than selecting and filling an area, you paint over the object or area to be replaced, with numerous options for controlling the brush size, opacity, etc. I just used the default in the test.

In both products, the first attempt isn't always perfect, so you can apply the tool multiple times, or finish off using cloning, etc. But in this test, I only applied each tool once, so we see the first attempts they made. Obviously, the better their first attempt, the less additional work needed.

First, let's see the image I used. It was processed from RAW in DxO PL, and I used ViewPoint to adjust the perspective, which left the large black triangle on the top left, which I want to fill. I will also be removing an object from it (the small red sign near the middle):

I then used PSP and AP to fill the black triangle. In both cases, this is their one-click, default first attempt, with no fine-tuning, and no feathering:

The PSP attempt is quite poor, and will need a lot more work; the AP first attempt is pretty good, and will need little more work.

-

I then decided to use both tools to remove an object near the centre of the image. It's the small red sign. I selected the area around it in PSP, and used Magic Fill, and painted over it with the Inpainting Brush in AP. Again, these are both products' first attempts:

The PSP effort will need more work; the AP effort is usable with little further work

Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481

-

It's this sort of thing that convinced me to make the switch from PSP to AP. Yes, there's some re-learning, as some of the UI and tools are different, but it's worth it.

I made a script that does what you did after I straighten a photo, I sometimes miss level/straight when shooting. 🤪

IMO AP (s) tools such as curves, HSL, and many more are much more advanced than PSP. It has more than double the non destructive adjustment layers, groups in AP are also more advanced and definitely more flexible. Color management and even channels use is more advanced and flexible.

I used PSP since the JASC days and I stayed with it till the 2018 version which is still on my desktop. I was lucky enough to be able to beta test AP for windows and it’s this beta test that made it clear to me that AP was going to be more advanced than PSP and more useful.

geru's gear list:geru's gear list
Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +4 more
sankos Senior Member • Posts: 2,374
Affinity Photo Inpainting Macro

geru wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

The AP Inpainting Brush Tool is more sophisticated, but has a a similar function. Rather than selecting and filling an area, you paint over the object or area to be replaced, with numerous options for controlling the brush size, opacity, etc. I just used the default in the test.

I made a script that does what you did after I straighten a photo, I sometimes miss level/straight when shooting. 🤪

Yes, it's a one-click operation in Affinity to do the inpainting after straightening. Here's their video on how this works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8OhIpVCN1E

I'd modify the macro by using the Select Partially Transparent option rather than the suggested Select Fully Transparent -- it works better for me.

Re: Affinity Photo Inpainting Macro

sankos wrote:

geru wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

The AP Inpainting Brush Tool is more sophisticated, but has a a similar function. Rather than selecting and filling an area, you paint over the object or area to be replaced, with numerous options for controlling the brush size, opacity, etc. I just used the default in the test.

Yes, it's a one-click operation in Affinity to do the inpainting after straightening. Here's their video on how this works:

I'd modify the macro by using the Select Partially Transparent option rather than the suggested Select Fully Transparent -- it works better for me.

Thanks, very useful. I still have a lot to learn about AP!  But it seems worth the effort.

GasmanSteve Regular Member • Posts: 275

Well don`t keep us in suspense where do we disable them

sankos wrote:

geru wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

I have used the script  between 8 to 10 times and haven’t had any problems yet. I think it’s because of the 2 or 3 pixel expansion for now I’ll keep it the way it is any problems and I’ll try the change.

Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +4 more

geru wrote:

sankos wrote:

geru wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

I have used the script between 8 to 10 times and haven’t had any problems yet. I think it’s because of the 2 or 3 pixel expansion for now I’ll keep it the way it is any problems and I’ll try the change.

I take it that the script is Mac-only?  I couldn't see Inpaint in the Edit menu in my Windows version.

brucet
brucet Veteran Member • Posts: 3,627

GasmanSteve wrote:

Try here  https://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=66304

-- hide signature --

I thought I made a mistake once. But I was wrong!
https://500px.com/brucetreloar
https://www.brucetreloar.blogspot.com.au

brucet's gear list:brucet's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II
bigfatron Contributing Member • Posts: 777

GasmanSteve wrote:

Apologies.

Type 'Task Scheduler' into the Start menu and open the app of the same name.

Expand out 'Task Scheduler Local'  and select the first child item (Task Scheduler Library).

Your mileage may vary but mine shows two items with names starting with CorelUpdater, just right click and select 'disable' on the context menu.

bigfatron's gear list:bigfatron's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +3 more

Digital Nigel wrote:

geru wrote:

sankos wrote:

geru wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

I have used the script between 8 to 10 times and haven’t had any problems yet. I think it’s because of the 2 or 3 pixel expansion for now I’ll keep it the way it is any problems and I’ll try the change.

I take it that the script is Mac-only? I couldn't see Inpaint in the Edit menu in my Windows version.

INPAINTING TOOL

Script works in both MAC and Windows the inpainting brush/tool is located on the toolbar with the patch tool and others. See the link

geru wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

geru wrote:

sankos wrote:

geru wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

I take it that the script is Mac-only? I couldn't see Inpaint in the Edit menu in my Windows version.

INPAINTING TOOL

Script works in both MAC and Windows the inpainting brush/tool is located on the toolbar with the patch tool and others. See the link

Yes, I use the Inpainting brush from the toolbar, but the video showed an Inpainting option available from the Edit menu, which applied it to all selected areas. The Edit menu in my Windows version doesn't have that option.

Digital Nigel wrote:

geru wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

geru wrote:

sankos wrote:

geru wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

INPAINTING TOOL

Yes, I use the Inpainting brush from the toolbar, but the video showed an Inpainting option available from the Edit menu, which applied it to all selected areas. The Edit menu in my Windows version doesn't have that option.

You’ll find the option your referring to under selections in the menu.

geru wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

geru wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

geru wrote:

sankos wrote:

geru wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

INPAINTING TOOL

Thanks, I'll look tomorrow.

sankos Senior Member • Posts: 2,374

Digital Nigel wrote:

Thanks, I'll look tomorrow.

The Edit/Inpaint command is available only when you first make some sort of selection (you can select with any tool, but the macro auto-selects transparent areas before inpainting). It's available on Windows too:

Affinity Photo 1.7.3 on Win10

IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 3,999

geru wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

-

Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481

-

IMO AP (s) tools such as curves, HSL, and many more are much more advanced than PSP. It has more than double the non destructive adjustment layers, groups in AP are also more advanced and definitely more flexible. Color management and even channels use is more advanced and flexible.

I used PSP since the JASC days and I stayed with it till the 2018 version which is still on my desktop. I was lucky enough to be able to beta test AP for windows and it’s this beta test that made it clear to me that AP was going to be more advanced than PSP and more useful.

Useful Macro, thanks.

Ian

VBone Regular Member • Posts: 112

For what its worth, B+H is selling the ultimate version for $25 in its year end sales.

VBone's gear list:VBone's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 IV Sony a6000 Sony a77 II +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads