This month with your Nikon 1 - December 2019

Started Dec 1, 2019 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 455
This month with your Nikon 1 - December 2019

Welcome to another monthly thread! Feel free to share your work either here or through individual threads on the forum, whatever you are more comfortable with.

The rules are simple:

• Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

2019: Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2018: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2017: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May- April - March - Feb

Cheers,
Holger

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 29,074
Last of the Green

-- hide signature --

"My chances of being PM are about as good as the chances of finding Elvis on Mars, or my being reincarnated as an olive."

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Adzor Contributing Member • Posts: 519
Lizard 🦎 at 3000 m

Adzor's gear list:Adzor's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 +12 more
ch96066 New Member • Posts: 18
Re: This month with your Nikon 1 - December 2019

I stumbled upon the N1 system and I am so happy I did so.

I was lucky enough to get a great offer on a V2 + FT1 adapter that allows me to use all my F lenses.

I strolled around the other day to test the system with my 70-300 AFS VR and what a lovely hand-holdable reach it gives. When there is enough light AF is snappy and definitely much better than in lower light where hunting is the norm.

A few results below (after process in LR)

Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 16,790
The Old World's Hummingbirds.

The first time we came to Thailand we came upon a little colorful bird fast asleep, with his eyes wide open, something I have never seen before or after.

The bird was a male Olive-backed Sunbird, one of many sunbirds and flowerpeckers here live mainly of nectar, just as hummingbirds do in the New World.

When we arrived in January this year they were building a nest (similar to weavers') and next time we got here they had almost fully grown juveniles.

Now it seems to be time for the next round, so I found a male today, sitting on a cable while preening, singing and being on the lookout.

(The other day I tested a 70-300 CX side by side with my Sigma 100-400 C, and at 300mm they produced images that were impossible to tell apart (after identical postprocessing, but no crop), so I used the Sigma today with even more confidence today than before. It is not really suitable for BIF, when used on a Nikon 1 camera, but eminently so on my D7500).

Here are a few samples, all slightly cropped, and lifted +1 EV.

Singing for the ladies ...

Might be ladies on the other side as well ...

Listening, any reply, or competition?!

Something irritating ...

And then tasting the wind.

Kept on like this for around 20 minutes, giving me plenty of time to try different angles and ISOs. Very basic processing (some lifting of the shadows, some increased contrast.

Delightful morning, just 25 C, with a cool breeze blowing.

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +24 more
iserp Forum Member • Posts: 54
Sunset in Trieste

I was at the docks, returning the car I rented, at the very precise moment to witness this nice sunset.

Halina123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,623
Daleks

Building nicknamed the Dalek, on the march.

MarcoGV Junior Member • Posts: 28
Compiegne, France

A few photos from December 15 in Compiegne.  The cars are from the exhibit "Concept Cars" in the Imperial Palace (Chateau de Compiegne).  It was fun to see these concept cars and motorcycles in this historic setting!

Giulietta Sprint Spider Bertone designed by Franco Scaglione, 1956

The silver motorcyle is a Piaggio Vespa Siluro, the red one is a Lambretta Siluro,  In 1951, they set records for the fasted motorcycle with an under-125cc engine.  The Lambretta held the record at the end, with a top speed of 201km/h.

L'Oeuf (the Egg), a French concept car by Paul Arzens (1942)

MarcoGV's gear list:MarcoGV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S02 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon 1 J4 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +1 more
OP holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 455
Moon and stars over the Red Square in Moscow

From the archives, 2015, recently re discovered and re-processed:

Cheers,
Holger

Sangster Senior Member • Posts: 1,351
Re: Moon and stars over the Red Square in Moscow

Nice one, Holger.

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
Tord S Eriksson
Sunbirds of SE Asia.

Where I live, a couple of hours driving south of Bangkok there is a lot of birdlife, not least tiny birds living of flowers, first and foremost. Their body length is about 2" (5cm) and you'll find them in a group called sunbirds and flowerpeckers, where the peckers, which are yet smaller, rips off the flowers and drink the nectar that way, while the sunbirds behave like hummingbirds, although occasionally drilling a hole in the flower to reach the nectar inside, but usually using their extremely long beak and tongue.

Below some shots from today, and a few days back, all shot with the Sigma 100-400 C, except the two first, which were taken using the tiny AF-P 70-300 VR DX. The camera was a J5 in each case.

Female Brown-throated Sunbird.

The same female.

A male Brown-throated Sunbird.

The same male. Not the slightly shorter and straighter beak, compared to the Olive-backed below.

An Olive-backed Sunbird, male, not yet having his glorious mating dress, the orange and neon blue spots missing.

Same male, from another angle.

This is his mate, a female Olive-backed Sunbird.

The female is mostly yellow, with no dark throat-patch nor dark breast. Beak longer and more curved than Brown-throated.

The male Olive-backed Sunbird I published here a week or so ago had more of the mating dress than the one above.

-- hide signature --

Sangster Senior Member • Posts: 1,351
Tropical fantasy island

I was travelling in the Malay Peninsula in November. Just going through the photos. Here are a few from a trip we took to Koh Lipe, Thailand. It is one of the islands that comprise of the Tarutao National Park bordering Malaysia.

passengers transferring to landing boats

Arriving on Koh Lipe, Thailand from nearby Langkawi, Malaysia. The building with the flags on is the Thai customs, immigration office.

kingfisher

Sunrise from behind Koh Tarutao

Sunset Beach. The island across the water is Koh Adang, part of Tarutao NP (taken with phone camera)

Spectacular turquoise waters and white coral sands

free range chicken at local restaurant (taken with phone camera)

supplies being ferried in from the mainland by hand

Pattaya Beach

Twilight at Pattaya Beach, Koh Lipe

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
Tord S Eriksson
Re: Tropical fantasy island

I love those sunset images! Bravo!

-- hide signature --

Tord S Eriksson
A leaf, in morning sun.

When things work well, even a 550mm lens (400mm + 1.4 TC) works on a J5!

No PP, no crop, but using PRIME noise-reduction, as the ISO was 1,600, not really essential as the second image shows.

Prime Noise-Reduction setting.

HQ (Fast) Noise-Reduction setting.

A Happy New Year, all!

-- hide signature --

Miss tilly
Miss tilly Senior Member • Posts: 2,054

These are fabulous, thank you for sharing, I love them all but the last two in particular.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gary

Great series, it transports some of the warmth to winter-cold Germany!

Cheers,
Holger

December Full Moon

The December full moon captured with J5 + Nikon 300/4 PF + TC14III:

Cheers,
Holger

December Squirrel

A young European squirrel born during this year, patiently waiting until one of its older furry colleagues frees the space in the bird feeder:

Cheers,
Holger

Re: December Full Moon

holgerlinke wrote:

The December full moon captured with J5 + Nikon 300/4 PF + TC14III:

Update from today, this time with the V3:

havanna60 Senior Member • Posts: 1,640
Budapest's Havanna District Morning View on the Last Morning of 2019

The lens was the Nikkor 1 10-100 f4.5-5.6 PD zoom, which served our family for a number of projects. I down-converted the photos to 2K 3:2, and they look really clean on my computer. At this low resolution, and limited image quality, the challenge is that we should be able to compose our shots ready for consumption. Today a 10M camera is still ok for documentary, story-telling and journalism.

The Havanna name of this district is after the name of the capital city of Cuba. We simply call our area as Havanna, which causes a lot of funny misunderstanding when someone doesn't know about the name overloading.

This photograph is just a technical demo what is the reach from 10 mm (see the previous photo) to 100 mm on a Nikon 1 camera. It's cold, but we have no snow, unfortunately. We had some in early December, but it was melted, we had even 15 degrees celsius in early December.

Between the two main streets: the Havanna Street and Csontvary Street there are schools, kindergartens, a church, and shops.

Another test shot at 100 mm. I guess this is the central heating facility for the area.

Happy New Year for 2020!

-- hide signature --

Thank you for taking the time reading. I use DPReview as my photography/videography blog. If you like it, click Like, or leave some comments.
Have fun on http://www.flickr.com/photos/99398503@N07/sets

havanna60's gear list:havanna60's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Sony a7 Sony a5100 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads