Do you expect any new telephoto lenses from Canon in 2020?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
mkphoto79 Regular Member • Posts: 450
Re: Do you expect any new telephoto lenses from Canon in 2020?

1Dx4me wrote:

mkphoto79 wrote:

I just saw a story in my google news feed that the pro version of the EOS-R is supposedly coming with some kind of hybrid EF/RF mount system. Maybe that means the EF line isn't dead after all. Or it could just be to appease pro's who already have a bunch of EF L lenses they dont want to replace.

people that are heavily invested in EF "L" lenses, are reluctant to dump their wonderful lenses that cost them an arm and a leg, just to move to ML cameras and lenses and i am sure canon realizes that so they are walking on a fine line not to get those EF owners upset, IMO, and count me as one of them! a few professionals and some enthusiasts may get enticed enough to take a chance and sell out their EF lens inventory and find out that there is not much IQ difference between the 2 any ways, i think it is gonna take a long while until canon convince people that ML is the way to go! it takes time for us old codgers to yield and accept new technologies while the "old" one is still working perfectly but the change can still happen in a slower pace.

I completely agree.  Id even expand that to say non "L" lens owners as well.  Most people don't collect lenses like the members here do.  Replacing a $400 standard zoom is a big deal to a lot of people.

I hope they do make a hybrid lens mount and expand it to all mirrorless bodies.  I may switch to an R body and skip the 90D if that happens!

-- hide signature --

-Mike

mkphoto79's gear list:mkphoto79's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon EOS 1200D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +5 more
1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,933

fastnsharp wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

mkphoto79 wrote:

I just saw a story in my google news feed that the pro version of the EOS-R is supposedly coming with some kind of hybrid EF/RF mount system. Maybe that means the EF line isn't dead after all. Or it could just be to appease pro's who already have a bunch of EF L lenses they dont want to replace.

people that are heavily invested in EF "L" lenses, are reluctant to dump their wonderful lenses that cost them an arm and a leg, just to move to ML cameras and lenses and i am sure canon realizes that so they are walking on a fine line not to get those EF owners upset, IMO, and count me as one of them! a few professionals and some enthusiasts may get enticed enough to take a chance and sell out their EF lens inventory and find out that there is not much IQ difference between the 2 any ways, i think it is gonna take a long while until canon convince people that ML is the way to go! it takes time for us old codgers to yield and accept new technologies while the "old" one is still working perfectly but the change can still happen in a slower pace.

Don't be mad at Canon. They can only offer the products that people will buy and will keep them in business. The fact is mirrorless is taking over, and for good reason, it's just implicitly better. This is evidenced quite clearly when a low end Sony APS-C camera can torch the 1Dx mk II in AF performance.

please don't mind me laughing but the last time i checked (last week NFL, i believe), i noticed canon white lenses being used almost on the entire photographers' section, and i am pretty sure they were mounted on 1DxmkII cameras   so, until i see the professionals drop their 1D bodies and rush over to get in the line to purchase a Sony tiny APS-C to do their jobs better, i won't believe it

Something has to give.

I just think its a shame there are so many Canon shoo ters who haven't even given the R a fair shake because they're "invested" in EF glass. EF lenses work very well on the R.

i think people are waiting for the next Gen R cameras, not the BETA versions

Speaking of this hybrid mount, it was rumored awhile back that something like that was going to happen. So this doesn't surprise me at all.

i think your rumor proves my point that canon makes it at most effort not to upset its DSLR and EF owners' in order to make the transition as smooth and amicable as possible!

peace.

-- hide signature --

You miss 100 percent of the shots you didn't take!!! "Wayne Gretzky"

fastnsharp Forum Member • Posts: 58

1Dx4me wrote:

fastnsharp wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

mkphoto79 wrote:

Don't be mad at Canon. They can only offer the products that people will buy and will keep them in business. The fact is mirrorless is taking over, and for good reason, it's just implicitly better. This is evidenced quite clearly when a low end Sony APS-C camera can torch the 1Dx mk II in AF performance.

please don't mind me laughing but the last time i checked (last week NFL, i believe), i noticed canon white lenses being used almost on the entire photographers' section, and i am pretty sure they were mounted on 1DxmkII cameras so, until i see the professionals drop their 1D bodies and rush over to get in the line to purchase a Sony tiny APS-C to do their jobs better, i won't believe it

The problem with that line of thinking is that 99.99% of humanity doesn't care who is doing what with whatever on the sidelines. They go on youtube, they watch videos of Sony Eye AF magically tracking people around the screen, and they assume that if the best camera from Canon can't do it (ostensibly the 1Dx), then why buy a Canon at all?

Something has to give.

I just think its a shame there are so many Canon shoo ters who haven't even given the R a fair shake because they're "invested" in EF glass. EF lenses work very well on the R.

The funny thing is I kind of agree, yet most people who have the R and the 5D IV prefer the R. The R is a great camera which is why I have one and love it.

Speaking of this hybrid mount, it was rumored awhile back that something like that was going to happen. So this doesn't surprise me at all.

i think your rumor proves my point that canon makes it at most effort not to upset its DSLR and EF owners' in order to make the transition as smooth and amicable as possible!

peace.

Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,938
A Couple Of Questions For fastnsharp

fastnsharp wrote:

Don't be mad at Canon. They can only offer the products that people will buy and will keep them in business. The fact is mirrorless is taking over, and for good reason, it's just implicitly better. This is evidenced quite clearly when a low end Sony APS-C camera can torch the 1Dx mk II in AF performance. Something has to give.

Did you conduct a side-by-side AF test of these two cameras? If not, how do you know this to be true?

I am not defending any turf, here, as I do not own a 1DX Mark II, and Canon is but one of three systems I use, but I do like to keep up with these things.

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +56 more
Re: A Couple Of Questions For Rexgig0

Rexgig0 wrote:

fastnsharp wrote:

Don't be mad at Canon. They can only offer the products that people will buy and will keep them in business. The fact is mirrorless is taking over, and for good reason, it's just implicitly better. This is evidenced quite clearly when a low end Sony APS-C camera can torch the 1Dx mk II in AF performance. Something has to give.

Did you conduct a side-by-side AF test of these two cameras? If not, how do you know this to be true?

I am not defending any turf, here, as I do not own a 1DX Mark II, and Canon is but one of three systems I use, but I do like to keep up with these things.

I have not compared them.

What the Sony can do that the 1Dx can't is flawlessly track someone moving around in a scene across 100% of the frame without having to move the camera or change focus points while intelligently maintaining focus on the subjects head, face, or the nearest eye depending on how they're oriented to the camera...

Maybe if we're lucky the 1Dx mark III will do this? Or maybe the "Pro" R?

ZX11
ZX11 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,409

fastnsharp wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

fastnsharp wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

mkphoto79 wrote:

please don't mind me laughing but the last time i checked (last week NFL, i believe), i noticed canon white lenses being used almost on the entire photographers' section, and i am pretty sure they were mounted on 1DxmkII cameras so, until i see the professionals drop their 1D bodies and rush over to get in the line to purchase a Sony tiny APS-C to do their jobs better, i won't believe it

The problem with that line of thinking is that 99.99% of humanity doesn't care who is doing what with whatever on the sidelines. They go on youtube, they watch videos of Sony Eye AF magically tracking people around the screen, and they assume that if the best camera from Canon can't do it (ostensibly the 1Dx), then why buy a Canon at all?

Something has to give.

The funny thing is I kind of agree, yet most people who have the R and the 5D IV prefer the R. The R is a great camera which is why I have one and love it.

So by "Sony APS-C camera can torch the 1Dx mk II in AF performance," you mean the low end Sony can lock on to a subject and track it across the frame.  Good for those who can't get the focus box onto a subject or keep it there.

You don't mean by "torch" that the focus is faster, more accurate, or works better in low light, than the 1Dx?  That is what I think of when I think of better AF performance.  I think some of the Sonys can put an emoji on the photo which, for some, makes it better than the 1Dx in the same way auto tracking a target across the frame makes it better than the 1Dx.

I know my EOS R has tracking AF modes but I have never use them.  But I have focused in low light and had the R focus rapidly on a subject.  Great AF.

-- hide signature --

"Very funny, Scotty! Now beam me down my clothes."
"He's dead, Jim! You grab his tri-corder. I'll get his wallet."

ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
ZX11
ZX11 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,409

mkphoto79 wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

mkphoto79 wrote:

I completely agree. Id even expand that to say non "L" lens owners as well. Most people don't collect lenses like the members here do. Replacing a $400 standard zoom is a big deal to a lot of people.

I hope they do make a hybrid lens mount and expand it to all mirrorless bodies. I may switch to an R body and skip the 90D if that happens!

Isn't the hybrid lens mount the current EF to RF Canon adapter?  I am pretty sure the rumors are mixing up a new adapter (built in drop in filter slots, teleconverter?) with "hybrid."

Since the RF lens has to be closer to the sensor than the EF lens, would a on camera permanent hybrid mount telescope in and out of the body like a pocket camera zoom lens?     Seems for a pro camera.

-- hide signature --

"Very funny, Scotty! Now beam me down my clothes."
"He's dead, Jim! You grab his tri-corder. I'll get his wallet."

ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,609

What is your evidence for “most people?”

If you are talking about most wedding photographers I probably would agree with you.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Yes that’s a pretty neat trick.  However, I suggest that doesn’t really cover every aspect of AF performance.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

BirdShooter7 wrote:

Yes that’s a pretty neat trick. However, I suggest that doesn’t really cover every aspect of AF performance.

Sony cameras shouldn't even exist but Canon left the door open by being late to the mirrorless game. Hopefully they stop rationalizing and start delivering the features people expect in 2020.

Oh I’m thrilled that Sony came into the market full force and yes I think it might have given Canon a good wake-up.  It looks to me like Canon is scrambling but they do have lots of ground to make up

-- hide signature --

Tannin Senior Member • Posts: 1,395

fastnsharp wrote:

I just think its a shame there are so many Canon shooters who haven't even given the R a fair shake because they're "invested" in EF glass. EF lenses work very well on the R.

I've given the R more than a "fair shake" and, frankly, it doesn't cut the mustard.

I still have my EOS R, and I still use it, but not for anything where handling, controls, viewfinder quality, and autofocus performance matters. Of my five Canon cameras, the EOS R has the second-worst autofocus. Yes, it does have better autofocus than the 10-year-old 5D II. Then again, so does every other camera made this decade. And on the other hand, the 10-year-old 1D IV kills it, as do the 7D II and the 5D IV. We have taken to calling out EOS R "the toy camera", which is about right.

It's a promising technology and I'll have another look at it when it's ready for prime time. Maybe around 2025 or so, who can say?

Tannin's gear list:Tannin's gear list
Canon G9 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +11 more

Tannin wrote:

fastnsharp wrote:

I just think its a shame there are so many Canon shooters who haven't even given the R a fair shake because they're "invested" in EF glass. EF lenses work very well on the R.

I've given the R more than a "fair shake" and, frankly, it doesn't cut the mustard.

I still have my EOS R, and I still use it, but not for anything where handling, controls, viewfinder quality, and autofocus performance matters. Of my five Canon cameras, the EOS R has the second-worst autofocus. Yes, it does have better autofocus than the 10-year-old 5D II. Then again, so does every other camera made this decade. And on the other hand, the 10-year-old 1D IV kills it, as do the 7D II and the 5D IV. We have taken to calling out EOS R "the toy camera", which is about right.

It's a promising technology and I'll have another look at it when it's ready for prime time. Maybe around 2025 or so, who can say?

That's the first time I'm hearing anything along these lines with regard to the EOS R. In my experience it obliterates the 5D IV in AF performance. Especially when it comes to repeatability. The R will simply nail shots at a sub millimeter level of accuracy where the 5D IV is frankly all over the place...

Maybe if you don't have a standard for accuracy and accept those near misses into your workflow then a DSLR is ok for you?

I guess I can talk from experience because I have used quite a few Canon cameras including all the 5D series cameras and all the RF series cameras.

Are you sure you took the time to learn how to use the EOS R? I'm honestly not sure you did.

Also, I'm not suggesting there isn't room for improvement in the R, certainly the AF could be vastly improved, just look at what Sony is doing.

BTW have you seen what Sony is doing in their low end cameras???

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-a6600-review/4

Canon is getting torched right now and more Dino-SLR's are not the answer. The 1Dx mk III could end up being one of the most tone deaf releases in Canons history. When literally nobody is impressed with what it can do and a cheap Sony APS-C scorches it on all fronts, don't expect a big seller at 6k a pop!

Tannin wrote:

fastnsharp wrote:

when canon's 1DmkIII comes out for next years Olympic games, i think Sony's less impressive a9II will fold like an old lawn chair when it comes to professional coverage...unless, Sony is going to come out with a newer rev., a bit more capable!

i don't know, when i take my canon 1Dx out for a photog excursion, it is a joy to work with, it takes whatever i throw at it and i find it a lot more capable than my own

-- hide signature --

Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 5,447

1Dx4me wrote:

Tannin wrote:

fastnsharp wrote:

when canon's 1DmkIII comes out for next years Olympic games, i think Sony's less impressive a9II will fold like an old lawn chair when it comes to professional coverage...unless, Sony is going to come out with a newer rev., a bit more capable!

i don't know, when i take my canon 1Dx out for a photog excursion, it is a joy to work with, it takes whatever i throw at it and i find it a lot more capable than my own

Is a separate "Sony Trash Talk" thread needed? 

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +10 more
Neil Schofield Contributing Member • Posts: 654

No, just a Sony spherical objects one

Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,938

fastnsharp wrote:

Tannin wrote:

fastnsharp wrote:

That's the first time I'm hearing anything along these lines with regard to the EOS R. In my experience it obliterates the 5D IV in AF performance. Especially when it comes to repeatability. The R will simply nail shots at a sub millimeter level of accuracy where the 5D IV is frankly all over the place...

Maybe if you don't have a standard for accuracy and accept those near misses into your workflow then a DSLR is ok for you?

I guess I can talk from experience because I have used quite a few Canon cameras including all the 5D series cameras and all the RF series cameras.

Are you sure you took the time to learn how to use the EOS R? I'm honestly not sure you did.

Also, I'm not suggesting there isn't room for improvement in the R, certainly the AF could be vastly improved, just look at what Sony is doing.

Canon is getting torched right now and more Dino-SLR's are not the answer. The 1Dx mk III could end up being one of the most tone deaf releases in Canons history. When literally nobody is impressed with what it can do and a cheap Sony APS-C scorches it on all fronts, don't expect a big seller at 6k a pop!

How many credentialed photographers at NFL/NBA/MLB games are using this hot new Sony camera?

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +56 more

Rexgig0 wrote:

fastnsharp wrote:

Tannin wrote:

fastnsharp wrote:

How many credentialed photographers at NFL/NBA/MLB games are using this hot new Sony camera?

I couldn't tell you because I am not in charge of handing out press credentials for major sporting events.

Dave wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

Tannin wrote:

fastnsharp wrote:

Is a separate "Sony Trash Talk" thread needed?

that is not "Trash Talk", that is more like euphemism for what Sony put out for those who had high expectation of this vaunted camera. no need for trash talk

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse
TheBlackGrouse Veteran Member • Posts: 3,406

fastnsharp wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

fastnsharp wrote:

I have not compared them.

What the Sony can do that the 1Dx can't is flawlessly track someone moving around in a scene across 100% of the frame without having to move the camera or change focus points while intelligently maintaining focus on the subjects head, face, or the nearest eye depending on how they're oriented to the camera...

Maybe if we're lucky the 1Dx mark III will do this? Or maybe the "Pro" R?

Yes it can but it isn't fast enough for sports and animals. Tried out the best Sony in a shop (correct settings, owner is a Sony fan). That said, I fully believe that the Sony mirrorless cameras are much better than what Canon has to offer at this moment. A lot of customers will be happy with them, however sports and wildlife photographers need more.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse
Active Outdoor Photographer

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads