Do you expect any new telephoto lenses from Canon in 2020?

Started Dec 1, 2019 | Discussions
BigBen08 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,721
Do you expect any new telephoto lenses from Canon in 2020?

In the past few years Canon has given us the 100-400 II, 400 DO II, 500 II. More recently Canon released the 400 III and 600 III.

Do you expect any more long lenses from Canon in 2020? Or, what would you like to see?

For myself, I'd like to see one or more of the following: 500 DO, 500 f5.6, 500 III, or a 200-600 zoom similar to what Sony offers. Or how about a zoom lens with built in extender that doesn't cost $11k as the current 200-400 does.

-- hide signature --

My best aviation photos: https://500px.com/kenfm2018

Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Neil Schofield Contributing Member • Posts: 654
Re: Do you expect any new telephoto lenses from Canon in 2020?

Only thing I would add to your wish list is an upgrade to the 800mm or possibly an 800/600 DO

Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,942

I “expect” no EF lenses from Canon, in 2020. I suspect that the RF disruption has consumed all of the oxygen in the room. A 500L III IS would be a logical expectation, but I am not holding my breath. Canon really struck back against the Nikkor FL super-tele lenses, with the 400/2.8L II IS and 600/4L III IS.

There are some existing non-tele EF lenses I would like to add, such as the 28/2.8 IS, and 11-24L, perhaps in 2020.

It would be nice to eventually add a 300/2.8L II IS. It is my logical next target, perhaps pre-empting the 11-24L, as I am becoming interested in landscapes shot with telephoto lenses.

I have not given-up on Canon DSLRs; the 1DX III gives me hope.

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +56 more
TheBlackGrouse
TheBlackGrouse Veteran Member • Posts: 3,409

Please, give us a 500/5.6 L.

A good EF tele prime, suitable for hiking, with a price somewhere between the 100-400 II and the 400 DO II.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse
Active Outdoor Photographer

Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 5,456

A 500 f/5.6 or 200-500 nano would be great.

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more
OP BigBen08 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,721

Neil Schofield wrote:

Only thing I would add to your wish list is an upgrade to the 800mm or possibly an 800/600 DO

Yes, a 600 DO does sound good.

Or how about upgrading the 400 f5.6 ? I'm sure many would welcome that.

-- hide signature --

My best aviation photos: https://500px.com/kenfm2018

davelok
davelok Senior Member • Posts: 2,395

BigBen08 wrote:

Neil Schofield wrote:

Yes, a 600 DO does sound good.

Or how about upgrading the 400 f5.6 ? I'm sure many would welcome that.

It gets my vote for sure. As for the 500mm f/5.6, I would rather have it in this category than somewhere between the 100-400 and 400 DO. An affordable prime is always a good idea.

davelok's gear list:davelok's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P600 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6400 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +23 more
Rexgig0

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

A good EF tele prime, suitable for hiking, with a price somewhere between the 100-400 II and the 400 DO II.

I like the idea of a 500/5.6, and “liked” your post, but, could Canon match Nikon’s price point, when Nikon outsources the production of the 500/5.6 PF to China? If Canon must charge a significantly higher price, than Nikon, will there be too few buyers? We live in interesting times.

-- hide signature --

By accident of availability, I learned to use Canon and Nikon DSLRs at the same time. I love specific lenses made by both Canon and Nikon, too much to quit either system. Dabbling with Leica-M is fun, too. I am, certainly, not an expert.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +56 more
1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,967

Rexgig0 wrote:

I “expect” no EF lenses from Canon, in 2020. I suspect that the RF disruption has consumed all of the oxygen in the room. A 500L III IS would be a logical expectation, but I am not holding my breath. Canon really struck back against the Nikkor FL super-tele lenses, with the 400/2.8L II IS and 600/4L III IS.

There are some existing non-tele EF lenses I would like to add, such as the 28/2.8 IS, and 11-24L, perhaps in 2020.

It would be nice to eventually add a 300/2.8L II IS. It is my logical next target, perhaps pre-empting the 11-24L, as I am becoming interested in landscapes shot with telephoto lenses.

I have not given-up on Canon DSLRs; the 1DX III gives me hope.

i acquired my canon 300mm f2.8 II in 2012 (?) and it is my most fave lens. when i attach my canon TC 2.0 III on it, it is an instant sharp 600mm f5.6 that works excellent! it is perfect for birding with TC and also makes a perfect lens for portrait! it is also light and well balanced. you'll have no regret if you decide to get it and it is worth every penny of it.

i don't need any more lens, in fact, i have an over-inventory situation here i have about 13 "L" lenses, 2 zeiss lenses and one and only great sigma 150mm f2.8 non-IS macro lens that i like very much, so i couldn't care less if canon comes out with a new lens in 2020 or not   i will pick up a copy of new 70-200 f4.0 IS II, though, very shortly for travel. good luck.

here are a couple shots with canon 300mm f2.8 II and TC 2.0:

-- hide signature --

You miss 100 percent of the shots you didn't take!!! "Wayne Gretzky"

TheBlackGrouse

Rexgig0 wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

I like the idea of a 500/5.6, and “liked” your post, but, could Canon match Nikon’s price point, when Nikon outsources the production of the 500/5.6 PF to China? If Canon must charge a significantly higher price, than Nikon, will there be too few buyers? We live in interesting times.

Hard to tell, since Sigma introduced the 500/4 at half the price of Canon and Nikon, fans of both brands tested it for months only to find out that it has the same IQ, AF, built etc... Canon has to do something.

A 500/5.6 L could be another winning lens just like the 100-400 II L. My guess is half the price of the Sigma 500/4 and Canon DO II. We may expect a 'strategic move', a lens with a lower profit for Canon because it's goal is to attract more customers.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse

Rexgig0

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

Hard to tell, since Sigma introduced the 500/4 at half the price of Canon and Nikon, fans of both brands tested it for months only to find out that it has the same IQ, AF, built etc... Canon has to do something.

A 500/5.6 L could be another winning lens just like the 100-400 II L. My guess is half the price of the Sigma 500/4 and Canon DO II. We may expect a 'strategic move', a lens with a lower profit for Canon because it's goal is to attract more customers.

Sigma used to make a 500mm f/4.5, perhaps a series of them. Something like a 500mm f/4.5 or f/5 could be built with up-to-date technology, and being faster than f/5.6, could justify a higher price point.

Really, f/5.6 is often a limitation, as I discovered when trying to use my Canon 400/5.6L in low light, and a reason that I was not really interested in the Nikkor 200-500/5.6 zoom, or the new 500/5.6 PF. (I shoot both Canon and Nikon.)

With the Spring and Autumn migrations passing through SE Texas, and many of the northern North American birds, such as White Pelicans and warblers staying here, in the Winter, I was ready for a 500/4 lens, with AF. (We have a Nikkor 500mm f/4P, manual-focus, with CPU contacts.) A Canon-mount Sigma 600/4 Sport was a strong contender. I was watching a pre-owned Sigma listed by MPB.

Off-topic, beyond this point:

My wife shoots only Nikon, and is a keen nature/bird/wildlife shooter, so it is far easier to get her blessing to spend money on a lens, if she can use it, too. Well, there was a pre-owned Nikkor 500/4E FL at our local enabler, er, I mean pro-oriented camera store, Houston Camera Exchange, in Texas, listed for less than $6500 US. This store will negotiate price, if a lens has been available for a while, as was this one. Well, that lens is no longer at HCE, because it is now in our home. Life is good.

For about the price of a new Sigma 500/4 Sport, we now have a Nikkor 500E FL. Yesterday, we went to the nearby Willow Waterhole, late in the day, and photographed, as the sun went down. Yes, a 500/4 is worth the added cost, because, well, its aperture can open to f/4, and it can be a good 700mm f/5.6, with a TC-E14 III. I needed every bit of that 700mm, for an interesting congregation of wading and swimming birds. An f/5.6 lens, with the TC, at the time, would have required a much higher ISO than desirable.

This 500/4E FL is realistic, for me, to use for hand-held shooting, as it weighs about an much as a Nikkor 300/2.8G VR I/II, but is better-balanced. Noted Canadian nature/wildlife photographer Brad Hill has reported that the Sigma 500/4 Sport is similarly well-balanced, though it weight several hundred grams more. I can only wonder if those several hundred extra grams would be a problem, for me, shooting hand-held.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse

Rexgig0 wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

Sigma used to make a 500mm f/4.5, perhaps a series of them. Something like a 500mm f/4.5 or f/5 could be built with up-to-date technology, and being faster than f/5.6, could justify a higher price point.

Really, f/5.6 is often a limitation, as I discovered when trying to use my Canon 400/5.6L in low light, and a reason that I was not really interested in the Nikkor 200-500/5.6 zoom, or the new 500/5.6 PF. (I shoot both Canon and Nikon.)

With the Spring and Autumn migrations passing through SE Texas, and many of the northern North American birds, such as White Pelicans and warblers staying here, in the Winter, I was ready for a 500/4 lens, with AF. (We have a Nikkor 500mm f/4P, manual-focus, with CPU contacts.) A Canon-mount Sigma 600/4 Sport was a strong contender. I was watching a pre-owned Sigma listed by MPB.

My wife shoots only Nikon, and is a keen nature/bird/wildlife shooter, so it is far easier to get her blessing to spend money on a lens, if she can use it, too. Well, there was a pre-owned Nikkor 500/4E FL at our local enabler, er, I mean pro-oriented camera store, Houston Camera Exchange, in Texas, listed for less than $6500 US. This store will negotiate price, if a lens has been available for a while, as was this one. Well, that lens is no longer at HCE, because it is now in our home. Life is good.

For about the price of a new Sigma 500/4 Sport, we now have a Nikkor 500E FL. Yesterday, we went to the nearby Willow Waterhole, late in the day, and photographed, as the sun went down. Yes, a 500/4 is worth the added cost, because, well, its aperture can open to f/4, and it can be a good 700mm f/5.6, with a TC-E14 III. I needed every bit of that 700mm, for an interesting congregation of wading and swimming birds. An f/5.6 lens, with the TC, at the time, would have required a much higher ISO than desirable.

This 500/4E FL is realistic, for me, to use for hand-held shooting, as it weighs about an much as a Nikkor 300/2.8G VR I/II, but is better-balanced. Noted Canadian nature/wildlife photographer Brad Hill has reported that the Sigma 500/4 Sport is similarly well-balanced, though it weight several hundred grams more. I can only wonder if those several hundred extra grams would be a problem, for me, shooting hand-held.

We have dark winters here too so I see why you need a 500/4

On the other hand, the High Iso performance gets better and better. From 7D to 7DII there was an effective extra stop (including the better noise removal).

Since I need lightweight gear and don't use a converter the 500/5.6 would be my first choice.

But nothing beats the IQ of the Canon and Nikon 500/4 primes 

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse

Rexgig0

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

Rexgig0 wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

We have dark winters here too so I see why you need a 500/4

On the other hand, the High Iso performance gets better and better. From 7D to 7DII there was an effective extra stop (including the better noise removal).

Since I need lightweight gear and don't use a converter the 500/5.6 would be my first choice.

But nothing beats the IQ of the Canon and Nikon 500/4 primes

Yes, indeed, the 7D II was a noticeable step forward, for low-light shooting. For a time, with its capability to detect and sync with flickering light sources, it ruled in many indoor and other artificial-light environments, too.

For my hand-held macro shooting, which includes bees-in-flight and other “action macro,” there is, still, nothing that beats a 7D II, an EF 100/2.8L Macro IS, and a Macro Ring Lite. My Nikon-shooting wife is envious.

Life is good!

-- hide signature --

Rexgig0
Canon 180mm Macro L II Would Be Nice.

While I do not “expect” it, an EF 180mm Macro IS refresh, with realistic AF, would be really nice. For shooting Uncle Buzz and Aunt Bee, the EF 100/2.8L Macro IS works well, but not all insects are as easy-going as honeybees.

-- hide signature --

ffabrici Senior Member • Posts: 1,065

Yes, 500L III and 200L II f/2 - and in 2021: 800L II and 200-500L  f/4.

ffabrici's gear list:ffabrici's gear list
Canon EOS R5
BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,645

Any of those sounds good to me.

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

mkphoto79 Regular Member • Posts: 450

I just saw a story in my google news feed that the pro version of the EOS-R is supposedly coming with some kind of hybrid EF/RF mount system.  Maybe that means the EF line isn't dead after all.  Or it could just be to appease pro's who already have a bunch of EF L lenses they dont want to replace.

-- hide signature --

-Mike

mkphoto79's gear list:mkphoto79's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon EOS 1200D Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +5 more
1Dx4me Veteran Member • Posts: 9,967

mkphoto79 wrote:

I just saw a story in my google news feed that the pro version of the EOS-R is supposedly coming with some kind of hybrid EF/RF mount system. Maybe that means the EF line isn't dead after all. Or it could just be to appease pro's who already have a bunch of EF L lenses they dont want to replace.

people that are heavily invested in EF "L" lenses, are reluctant to dump their wonderful lenses that cost them an arm and a leg,  just to move to ML cameras and lenses and i am sure canon realizes that so they are walking on a fine line not to get those EF owners upset, IMO, and count me as one of them! a few professionals and some enthusiasts may get enticed enough to take a chance and sell out their EF lens inventory and find out that there is not much IQ difference between the 2   any ways, i think it is gonna take a long while until canon convince people that ML is the way to go! it takes time for us old codgers to yield and accept new technologies while the "old" one is still working perfectly but the change can still happen in a slower pace.

-- hide signature --

You miss 100 percent of the shots you didn't take!!! " Wayne Gretzky"

Nigge Regular Member • Posts: 197

I would take a 300-600/6.3 before a 200-500/5.6. 
most importance though is that it would compete with 100-400 in image quality. 
A 500/5.6 would be interesting  because the price/performance should be better.

Nigge's gear list:Nigge's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +6 more
fastnsharp Forum Member • Posts: 58

1Dx4me wrote:

mkphoto79 wrote:

I just saw a story in my google news feed that the pro version of the EOS-R is supposedly coming with some kind of hybrid EF/RF mount system. Maybe that means the EF line isn't dead after all. Or it could just be to appease pro's who already have a bunch of EF L lenses they dont want to replace.

people that are heavily invested in EF "L" lenses, are reluctant to dump their wonderful lenses that cost them an arm and a leg, just to move to ML cameras and lenses and i am sure canon realizes that so they are walking on a fine line not to get those EF owners upset, IMO, and count me as one of them! a few professionals and some enthusiasts may get enticed enough to take a chance and sell out their EF lens inventory and find out that there is not much IQ difference between the 2 any ways, i think it is gonna take a long while until canon convince people that ML is the way to go! it takes time for us old codgers to yield and accept new technologies while the "old" one is still working perfectly but the change can still happen in a slower pace.

Don't be mad at Canon. They can only offer the products that people will buy and will keep them in business. The fact is mirrorless is taking over, and for good reason, it's just implicitly better. This is evidenced quite clearly when a low end Sony APS-C camera can torch the 1Dx mk II in AF performance. Something has to give.

I just think its a shame there are so many Canon shooters who haven't even given the R a fair shake because they're "invested" in EF glass. EF lenses work very well on the R.

Speaking of this hybrid mount, it was rumored awhile back that something like that was going to happen. So this doesn't surprise me at all.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads