Capture One- can it do this?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions
viper699 Regular Member • Posts: 491
Capture One- can it do this?

I feel there are 2 groups of imaging software- correct me if I'm wrong, I probably am.

1. Post-processing for assorted general things, levels, sharpening etc

2. Post-processing software which is designed for making actual image edits, such as removing an entire building from a picture or removing people (PS or PSP are the 2 examples I can think of, GIMP too perhaps).

When I take tourist photos, I have lots of tourists in my pics of course! I'd like software which can remove ALL the people I find.

I don't believe Capture One can do this-- Right?

Which means I need a "group 2" piece of software-- yes? If so, then I would get PSP because it is not rent-ware like PS.

viper699's gear list:viper699's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +1 more
OP viper699 Regular Member • Posts: 491
Re: Capture One- can it do this?

Bump

Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +1 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 24,659

Photoshop Elements is not rent-ware -- you can buy it outright -- and it does have Content Aware Fill.

Don't expect miracles.

Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 16,473

viper699 wrote:

I feel there are 2 groups of imaging software- correct me if I'm wrong, I probably am.

2. Post-processing software which is designed for making actual image edits, such as removing an entire building from a picture or removing people (PS or PSP are the 2 examples I can think of, GIMP too perhaps).

This is "pixel level editing. Software that can do this can do everything in your group1 too.

When I take tourist photos, I have lots of tourists in my pics of course! I'd like software which can remove ALL the people I find.

This is probably impossible. The camera can't record what's hidden behind the tourists (or anything else for that matter). When dealing with this sort of problem pixel-level software does one of two things:

(a) It just averages out the details on either side of the object edited out. This is fine for small or narrow things like power lines etc but fails as soon as the objects are more than a few pixels wide.

(b) It uses "content aware" software to copy a patch from somewhere else in the picture to replace what's edited out. This may be successful for an isolated object - just one person in the wrong place, for example - but even then it's chancy, depending on the sort of detail in the background.

If there is a significant area obscured, as with lots of tourists, there isn't the information available to create what's invisible to the camera. You seem to be heading to hours of frustrating work that can't give a satisfactory result.

Which means I need a "group 2" piece of software-- yes? If so, then I would get PSP because it is not rent-ware like PS.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Gleb Esman
Gleb Esman Contributing Member • Posts: 903

viper699 wrote:

You can take multiple shots of the same scene and combine 2 images borrowing non-touristy spots from one onto another via layers masking.

Gleb

Gleb Esman's gear list:Gleb Esman's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony 2.0x Teleconverter Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS +6 more
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 6,246

You can do it all in PSElements. Scott Kelby publishes good books on how to do things in PSE. Learning how to use the software is time consuming.

For removing tourist from sights, you need several frames. Some tourist don't move, so you may be stuck for a long time. A tripod makes alignment easier.

Another approach is to make the tourists part of the sight, but that turns it into a subgenre of street photography.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS R Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +5 more

D Cox wrote:

Photoshop Elements is not rent-ware -- you can buy it outright -- and it does have Content Aware Fill.

Don't expect miracles.

I wasn’t referring to PSE, simply Photoshop- which is rent-ware.

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

viper699 wrote:

This is "pixel level editing. Software that can do this can do everything in your group1 too.

This is probably impossible. The camera can't record what's hidden behind the tourists (or anything else for that matter). When dealing with this sort of problem pixel-level software does one of two things:

(a) It just averages out the details on either side of the object edited out. This is fine for small or narrow things like power lines etc but fails as soon as the objects are more than a few pixels wide.

(b) It uses "content aware" software to copy a patch from somewhere else in the picture to replace what's edited out. This may be successful for an isolated object - just one person in the wrong place, for example - but even then it's chancy, depending on the sort of detail in the background.

If there is a significant area obscured, as with lots of tourists, there isn't the information available to create what's invisible to the camera. You seem to be heading to hours of frustrating work that can't give a satisfactory result.

Ah I see now- thanks!

Interesting idea, I hadn’t thought of that.

Klaus dk wrote:

You can do it all in PSElements. Scott Kelby publishes good books on how to do things in PSE. Learning how to use the software is time consuming.

For removing tourist from sights, you need several frames. Some tourist don't move, so you may be stuck for a long time. A tripod makes alignment easier.

Another approach is to make the tourists part of the sight, but that turns it into a subgenre of street photography.

Thanks! It seems some previous photos will not work, going forward I will have to make shooting changes.

JimResnikoff
JimResnikoff Contributing Member • Posts: 591

As it's been mentioned.. Capture one does have clone / heal layers which can help in some instances.  I've removed relatively small objects such as water bottles and some debris here and there.. If it was extremely large I would opt for having multiple images and stack them. Or as some people do in high tourist areas is to use an ND filter for a much longer exposure to make the people vanish.  Obviously that option may not be suitable in all or even some instances.

JimResnikoff's gear list:JimResnikoff's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro +2 more

The ND is a good idea. Some of the images I have were taken before I was aware of that technique. That’s why I’m asking how much is realistically possible.

JimResnikoff
JimResnikoff Contributing Member • Posts: 591
 JimResnikoff's gear list:JimResnikoff's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro +2 more
David1961
David1961 Contributing Member • Posts: 886

viper699 wrote:

This is probably impossible. The camera can't record what's hidden behind the tourists (or anything else for that matter).

Photoshop Elements has feature called PhotoMerge Scene Cleaner.

From a series of photos you can remove moving people, moving vehicles or just about any other moving objects.

From a base photo in the series you replace unwanted objects with elements of the scene where the objects are not located.

I have used it only a handful of times but on each occasion it produced excellent results.

Thanks I didn't know this. I have a very old copy of PSE, maybe I'll qualify for an upgrade.

JimResnikoff wrote:

A quick example.

Thanks! I've seen this guy before, but not for this video I believe.

The opening scene is basically what I have, except with lots of people.

Curious, he mentions (as others have too) to turn of vibration reduction when using a tripod...WHY is that? Why isn't more vibration reduction better w/digital when using a tripod....

Curious- how does one know what level of ND one should use for a given shooting situation. I would think if one believes the shutter will be open for a longer period of time one should use a ND that blocks out more light.

Thanks again....

David1961

If you haven't already done so, perhaps check to see if you already have it in your version. I don't know in which version it was introduced.

David1961

viper699 wrote:

Curious, he mentions (as others have too) to turn of vibration reduction when using a tripod...WHY is that? Why isn't more vibration reduction better w/digital when using a tripod....

VR/IS is most suitable when hand holding. On a tripod there shouldn't be any movement of the camera when the shot is taken.

The camera/lens doesn't know if it is on tripod or not, so if it is on a tripod with VR/IS on, it will go looking for vibration/movement when there isn't any and the process of the camera/lens looking for something that doesn't exist might actually introduce some vibration.

So generally, when a camera is on a tripod it's best to turn off VR/IS.

donaldsc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,603
Your Post is Up for Less that 1 Day and You are Bumping????

Nuf said.

-- hide signature --

Don

Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 16,473

David1961 wrote:

viper699 wrote:

This is probably impossible. The camera can't record what's hidden behind the tourists (or anything else for that matter).

Photoshop Elements has feature called PhotoMerge Scene Cleaner.

From a series of photos you can remove moving people, moving vehicles or just about any other moving objects.

That's the point - you ned a series of pictures. For the future the OP can takes series but that won't help with the photos he already has.

[One of the things that irritates me about Adobe is that this feature isn't available in Photoshop, so the big program needs its baby brother as a supplement]

From a base photo in the series you replace unwanted objects with elements of the scene where the objects are not located.

I have used it only a handful of times but on each occasion it produced excellent results.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads