Luminar Sky Replace

Started 5 months ago | Photos
omair Regular Member • Posts: 146
Luminar Sky Replace

Tried luminar 4’s sky replace. Any feedback on that or anything else welcome.

This was a late morning shot, plain blue skies

Almost broke my neck getting to this spot, but again. Plain blue skies in mid afternoon

omair's gear list:omair's gear list
Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
stretchman Contributing Member • Posts: 942
Re: Luminar Sky Replace

I've thought about getting a sky-replacement software to cover the sky on a cloudless day.I just have a hard time adding something to an image that wasn't present at the time of the photograph but that's just me. I guess it works if you can match the sky light/color to the foreground. If you like it that's what counts.  

Scott Milso Contributing Member • Posts: 977

They look good to me, especially the last one.

Ken60 Senior Member • Posts: 1,682

Oh dear this could be fun , Sabrina once tried to suggest to a photographer that he change the sky in a landscape, and the " has to be natural"  crown arrived and tore her down.

I think I will pull up a chair , get the popcorn out and wait for the action !  lol

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 3,517

Scary how convincing they are.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
Moon0326 Contributing Member • Posts: 788

I love them, especially the 2nd one.

I would love to try, but aren't they template based? Meaning that someone else might have the same sky on a different photo.

Lan Senior Member • Posts: 1,532

Interesting results; thank you for sharing. I might believe the second two, but for some reason the first one doesn't look right to me. Not sure why though.

I think the third is the most successful, although I might be tempted to play with the colours in the reflection a bit more?

Personally I'm not comfortable replacing the sky or other key elements in my shots; but I can definitely see the appeal!

donaldsc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,630

Don't like #1.  Picture #3 is OK.  Picture #2 is the best.

-- hide signature --

Don

Luke Forrest Contributing Member • Posts: 626

I think there would be a greater satisfaction if you could get the shot in the right conditions rather than using sky templates, but sometimes that is just impossible, so I don’t see a problem with using these. I like number 2 the most.

David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 1,148

Sensational scenery.  Thank you for sharing.

#2 is by far my favourite and is the best one imho.

#1 just doesn't quite look right to me, but I am no expert.  When I "View Original Size" I can also see a very slight fringe in parts of the rock on the left side where it meets the sky.  But I am nit picking here a bit.

In #3 the angle of the clouds dipping towards and disappearing below the horizon doesn't look quite right to me.

David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
Yankee Dog
Yankee Dog Regular Member • Posts: 214

As for looking natural, I guess it depends on if you are recording the memory of having been there in which case a snapshot with a boring sky will get the job done. On the other hand, if you trying to make a living selling art. Then the entire image must be stupendous. Few if any will ask if it was shopped. They only ask if it look great on the wall or not.

Yankee Dog's gear list:Yankee Dog's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM

Oh trust me I have no qualms, I believe that the camera is a tool in making an image. It need not be the only tool , perhaps more often the base coat for the canvas, thus leaving the creativity of the human mind to take it forward.

This allows for an infinite extension to one of the golden rules of photography...

Cameras take pictures, photographers make pictures.

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

bgbgbgbgbg Contributing Member • Posts: 655

In the first one where the sky meets the rocks looks a little strange to me. The next two have the rocks front lit while the sun is setting behind them.

lokatz
lokatz Senior Member • Posts: 1,646

omair wrote:

Tried luminar 4’s sky replace. Any feedback on that or anything else welcome.

I like Luminar's sky replacement, but -without meaning to be disrespectful or just trash your pics- I am not impressed with any of the attempts you posted. Here is why:

#1: The sky looks as if it has nothing to do with the rest of the scene. It would need some color adjustment, with a bit more warmth to be believable. Part of the issue may also be that the clouds look too small, such that the angle of the sky we are viewing looks a lot wider than the angle of the rock opening suggests. On top of that, there is a small halo edge at the left top edge of the canyon that gives away the manipulation. Nevertheless, this is still the closest of the three to being believable.

#2: According to the shadows of the rocks, the sun clearly comes from the far left. Yet, the sky looks like the sun is behind the leftmost rock. Err, what?

Almost broke my neck getting to this spot, but again. Plain blue skies in mid afternoon

#3: You've got to be kidding. The sun is clearly behind or just to the left of that center rock formation, but the rock is lit on the side facing the viewer, away from the sun. You must have used a VERY powerful torchlight to take that shot!

In order to replace skies in a credible fashion, always make sure the sky and the lighting of the rest of the image tell the same story. Otherwise, our brains may not necessarily be able to tell us why, but we are nevertheless able to spot right away that something is fishy.

lokatz's gear list:lokatz's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D700 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD IF Macro +20 more

This was the whole issue when my boss of many year back , bought an expensive front pro for the studio. Great idea ... up to the point that the library of backgrounds to match the foreground , would cost more than the machine !

If you're going to be a liar , try to be a good one !

-- hide signature --

Billstek
Billstek Senior Member • Posts: 1,173

Good political advice, too😜

-- hide signature --

www.justofftheroad.smugmug.com

Billstek's gear list:Billstek's gear list
Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +5 more
David1961
Replacing Skies Is Not Telling Lies

Ken60 wrote:

This was the whole issue when my boss of many year back , bought an expensive front pro for the studio. Great idea ... up to the point that the library of backgrounds to match the foreground , would cost more than the machine !

If you're going to be a liar , try to be a good one !

I don't see replacing skies with better, more interesting skies as telling lies at all especially if creating art and/or if the replacement sky is plausible for the scene. I occasionally replace skies as well.

However, real estate agents cloning out ugly telephone/electricity poles or power lines in front of properties is a different matter altogether.

Canon EOS 90D
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 3,517

lokatz wrote:

#1: The sky looks as if it has nothing to do with the rest of the scene. It would need some color adjustment, with a bit more warmth to be believable. Part of the issue may also be that the clouds look too small, such that the angle of the sky we are viewing looks a lot wider than the angle of the rock opening suggests.

#2: According to the shadows of the rocks, the sun clearly comes from the far left. Yet, the sky looks like the sun is behind the leftmost rock. Err, what?

#3: You've got to be kidding. The sun is clearly behind or just to the left of that center rock formation, but the rock is lit on the side facing the viewer, away from the sun. You must have used a VERY powerful torchlight to take that shot!

I have to admit, to me these are either some bizarre comments based on natural observations, or I'm totally disconnected from the real world. I really don't make any connections to your observations at all. Just taking the comments about how the clouds are too small in number 1? Cloud size would be a factor based on their height in the sky, so I can't see how you can judge the clouds are too small when they would simply be clouds at a higher altitude. Maybe its just me, but I think the OP did a great job in his post-production making very convincing natural-looking composites. I'm rather surprised anyone would see them so completely and extremely fake. I could see trained photographers suspecting some manipulation, but boy you really tore them up.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
Re: Replacing Skies Is Not Telling Lies

David read my thread five or so posts up please.

-- hide signature --

David1961

mfinley wrote:
Maybe its just me, but I think the OP did a great job in his post-production making very convincing natural-looking composites. I'm rather surprised anyone would see them so completely and extremely fake. I could see trained photographers suspecting some manipulation, but boy you really tore them up.

I can see where the others are coming from regarding the inconsistent angle of light source and shadows.

For example, in #3 it appears to me that the sun has set below the horizon in the background and so the lighting of the rear rock face (relative to the position of the sun in the background) facing the camera seems inconsistent to me, but it's not a huge issue for me.

If the OP was looking for 100% realism with the replaced sky then it doesn't work for me.

If the OP is looking to create a more interesting, colourful image with the replaced sky then for me it is a 98% success except for the minor concern I posted earlier.

Canon EOS 90D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads