Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras

Started Nov 23, 2019 | Discussions
marrlin Junior Member • Posts: 26
Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras

Raw files from the em-5 markii are handled in Mac photos app just fine.

Raw file from the em-5 mark iii are not. Just show up as blank images with no metadata. Hope apple adds support soon.

Using Luminar 4 currently as a workaround.

Loganberry Forum Member • Posts: 67
Re: Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras

marrlin wrote:

Raw files from the em-5 markii are handled in Mac photos app just fine.

Raw file from the em-5 mark iii are not. Just show up as blank images with no metadata. Hope apple adds support soon.

Using Luminar 4 currently as a workaround.

I had to install trial version of Affinity to process my E-M5 mk3 RAW files as LR and C1 not up to speed yet. My Mac Lyn Image viewer can see almost any RAW image from any camera but of course is only for viewing.

You could at a push use the Olympus Workspace software and convert to 16 bit tif and then process in your normal software.

Correction, camera now supported by LR CC as of 24/11/2019. No help to me tho' as don't do rental. Affinity Pro though seems to be able to do everything LR can do as well as Photoshop and all for a one off £50 or so. Personally I don't need most of what Photoshop can do as only do a few landscapes.

 Loganberry's gear list:Loganberry's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M5 III Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Phase One Capture One Pro
Skm60 New Member • Posts: 13
Re: Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras

I wondered if anyone knew if this has been solved or had a solution to the problem? I was just moving to shooting in RAW but can’t get the raw files onto my iPad (just shows up. As white squares). I wanted to process them in Afinity but this doesn’t recognise the white squares as pictures.

 Skm60's gear list:Skm60's gear list
Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
fourthirdcam Forum Member • Posts: 88
Re: Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras

Are you using the OI.Share software to transfer them?

It still doesn't support transferring RAW files.

I don't know that any iOS devices have built-in support for .ORF.  The entire editing ethos on iDevices revolves around JPEG and now HEIC.

 fourthirdcam's gear list:fourthirdcam's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 III +4 more
Skm60 New Member • Posts: 13
Re: Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras

I was using io share but also bought card reader to transfer. Still doesn’t work.

 Skm60's gear list:Skm60's gear list
Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
fourthirdcam Forum Member • Posts: 88
Re: Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras

I'm pretty sure Apple is no longer developing RAW readers.  You'll need to use software to open those files.  I use C1 or LR, but you can install the Olympus software on your mac if you want something free.

The other option is to "develop" images in camera.  Pull the image up, and click the OK button and it will walk you through creating a JPEG file which you can then open in pretty much everything, but still have the ORF file if you want to process later.

After that, you can set the camera to take a JPEG with every ORF you can work with the JPEGS on any platform, but still have .ORF files for more complicated raw-file editing.

 fourthirdcam's gear list:fourthirdcam's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 III +4 more
Dan Dare Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras

Apple are adding RAW support for new cameras introduced in 2020.

The latest version of BigSur MacOS 11.2 now includes cameras such as the Canon R5 and R6 and Nikon Z6 II and Z7 II all introduced after the Olympus cameras.

Sadly my OM-D E M1 Mark III is still not supported as well as the M5 Mk III. Most assume this is because it's Apple who are responsible, wrong this is because Olympus have not given the necessary ORF file information to Apple.

I bought into the E-M1 last year assuming like all other 2020 cameras RAW support would eventually happen well it did for Nikon and Canon but not Olympus, despite the fact that the M1 Mk III was introduced 12 months ago so it looks like Olympus have not bothered due to the sale of their imaging division and I doubt RAW support will ever happen.

I use Apple Photos, so I'm stuck with using JPEGs from my M1-MkIII unless I add another RAW converter into the workflow which I do not want to do.

 Dan Dare's gear list:Dan Dare's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z7 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +5 more
fourthirdcam Forum Member • Posts: 88
Re: Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras

Dan Dare wrote:

Apple are adding RAW support for new cameras introduced in 2020.

The latest version of BigSur MacOS 11.2 now includes cameras such as the Canon R5 and R6 and Nikon Z6 II and Z7 II all introduced after the Olympus cameras.

Sadly my OM-D E M1 Mark III is still not supported as well as the M5 Mk III. Most assume this is because it's Apple who are responsible, wrong this is because Olympus have not given the necessary ORF file information to Apple.

I bought into the E-M1 last year assuming like all other 2020 cameras RAW support would eventually happen well it did for Nikon and Canon but not Olympus, despite the fact that the M1 Mk III was introduced 12 months ago so it looks like Olympus have not bothered due to the sale of their imaging division and I doubt RAW support will ever happen.

I use Apple Photos, so I'm stuck with using JPEGs from my M1-MkIII unless I add another RAW converter into the workflow which I do not want to do.

Does that imply you have to run Big Sur to get new Nikon and Canon camera support?  I haven't seen anything in the updates for other MacOS versions.

How do you know Olympus haven't given Apple the new ORF file format?  Did you find that on a blog or forum somewhere, or is that official?

 fourthirdcam's gear list:fourthirdcam's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 III +4 more
Dan Dare Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras

Since Apple is no longer updating Catalina then yes as the additional cameras were added in MacOS 11.2 and the previous versions will no longer be updated. You can see the latest list of supported cameras here:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211241

Here is the previous support list from November 2020

https://support.apple.com/en-ug/HT210191

I asked Apple Support the question and they said it's up to Olympus to provide the software information or whatever it is they need but when I asked the same question of Olympus they say that they have given this information to all the companies that make photo editing software so it's a case of finger pointing at the moment with no solution.

 Dan Dare's gear list:Dan Dare's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z7 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +5 more
Dan Dare Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras
2

I have today raised a support ticket with Apple about this as it's not just the E-M1 Mk III ORF files that ares not supported but it is all Olympus cameras introduced since October 2019:
PEN E-PL10 (October 2019)
OM-D E-M5 III (October 2019)
OM-D E-M1 Mark III (February 2020)
OM-D E-M10 IV (September 2020)
OM-D E-M10 IIIs (December 2020)

The Canon R5 and R6 introduced in July 2020, Nikon Z5 (July 2020) and Nikon Z6II and Z7II (October 2020) are all now supported with the latest update of BigSur MacOS 11.2.

 Dan Dare's gear list:Dan Dare's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z7 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +5 more
Skm60 New Member • Posts: 13
Re: Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras

Please let us know how things progress. I have the M5 mark lll and have given up and shoot jpeg only. I would love to be able to play in RAW too.

 Skm60's gear list:Skm60's gear list
Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
Dan Dare Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras
1

I've escalated this to Olympus as well as Apple, still waiting for a reply from both. In the meantime I've purchased Affinity Photo which works really well as an editing extension to Apple Photos and for £23.99 it is good value.

I can import the ORF file into Apple Photos and all I see is a blank thumbnail. but selecting Edit and dismissing the warning that there is no image detail to edit I select the extensions tab and choose Edit in Affinity Photo and from then onwards I have a viewable image which I edit in Affinity Pro and then save back to Apple Photos.

By also importing the JPGs from the camera I can choose which images to discard and the just edit the ORFs of the images I want to keep.

It's bit of a faff but it works and will do as a temporary solution until Apple provides  compatibility.

 Dan Dare's gear list:Dan Dare's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z7 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +5 more
Skm60 New Member • Posts: 13
Re: Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras

I have Affinity  photo on my iPad and had been very frustrated just tried your idea going through “files” and much to my delight it works. Long winded but at least a solution in the short term. Thanks.

 Skm60's gear list:Skm60's gear list
Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 21,666
Re: Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras

Dan Dare wrote:

Since Apple is no longer updating Catalina then yes as the additional cameras were added in MacOS 11.2 and the previous versions will no longer be updated. You can see the latest list of supported cameras here:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211241

Here is the previous support list from November 2020

https://support.apple.com/en-ug/HT210191

I asked Apple Support the question and they said it's up to Olympus to provide the software information or whatever it is they need but when I asked the same question of Olympus they say that they have given this information to all the companies that make photo editing software so it's a case of finger pointing at the moment with no solution.

That just doesn't make sense to me.  The OTHER software publishers have had that information for quite some time. What incentive would Olympus have for ignoring a sizable segment of the computer platform market?  My suspicion is that the fault lies with Apple.

 Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
grcolts Veteran Member • Posts: 3,515
Re: Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras

marrlin wrote:

Raw files from the em-5 markii are handled in Mac photos app just fine.

Raw file from the em-5 mark iii are not. Just show up as blank images with no metadata. Hope apple adds support soon.

Using Luminar 4 currently as a workaround.

I gave up trying to process RAW files from my Olympus and Panasonic camera with Apple's Photos software.  Right now I am using either darktable, Affinity Photo or Aftershot Pro3 for RAW processing. RAW files using Photos would be sluggish and then lock up my Mac.

Dan Dare Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras
1

Dan Dare wrote:

I've escalated this to Olympus as well as Apple, still waiting for a reply from both. In the meantime I've purchased Affinity Photo which works really well as an editing extension to Apple Photos and for £23.99 it is good value.

I can import the ORF file into Apple Photos and all I see is a blank thumbnail. but selecting Edit and dismissing the warning that there is no image detail to edit I select the extensions tab and choose Edit in Affinity Photo and from then onwards I have a viewable image which I edit in Affinity Pro and then save back to Apple Photos.

By also importing the JPGs from the camera I can choose which images to discard and the just edit the ORFs of the images I want to keep.

It's bit of a faff but it works and will do as a temporary solution until Apple provides compatibility.

Here is an update.

As of today, May 4th, I've had no reply from Apple  since I raised the issue back in February in a support call.

Today I called Apple Support and told them that Olympus Tech Support had assured me in early February that they had given all necessary data to enable RAW support to all the Image editing software providers so I asked why has Apple not included RAW Support in the latest version of MacOS 11.3.1 released 26th April? I also pointed out that as well as the E-M1 Mark III, none of the Olympus cameras introduced after the M1X have RAW support, the MiX was the last camera to have RAW support included in MacOS.

I ended up talking to a second level tech support person who said he would escalate this to the appropriate Engineering team and promised me a reply later this week.

It does seem strange that the M1X is the last Olympus camera to be supported and yet every other manufacturers cameras introduced after that are now supported by MacOS.

 Dan Dare's gear list:Dan Dare's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z7 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +5 more
MacroDonata
MacroDonata Regular Member • Posts: 180
Thanks for the update.

As an irritated owner of the E-M5 iii + Mac combo, I appreciate your efforts.

Best of luck getting it straightened out.

Cheers.

 MacroDonata's gear list:MacroDonata's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sony RX100 V Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II Olympus E-M5 II +20 more
chelidon New Member • Posts: 3
Re: Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras

Dan Dare wrote:

Here is an update[...]

I ended up talking to a second level tech support person who said he would escalate this to the appropriate Engineering team and promised me a reply later this week.

It does seem strange that the M1X is the last Olympus camera to be supported and yet every other manufacturers cameras introduced after that are now supported by MacOS.

Did you ever get a reply? I've got an E-M1 Mark 3 that has the same issue with MacOS RAW support, and it's beyond ridiculous. There are workarounds, but it's a PITA.

 chelidon's gear list:chelidon's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +9 more
Dan Dare Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras
1

Hi chelidon, no reply received but I’ve not given up and put a call in a couple of days ago so as no reply received to that either I’m going to escalate it because this is getting ridiculous. There should be no technical reason why Apple have not included the RAW support and there have been several MacOS updates since that camera was first introduced.

 Dan Dare's gear list:Dan Dare's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z7 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +5 more
Dan Dare Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Mac/iOS raw (.orf) support with new Olympus cameras

I just had a fairly useless conversation with Apple Support so I'm going back to Olympus technical support and see if I can establish just exactly what the process is for getting a new camera supported by Apple.  I'm convinced that either something has gone wrong here or Apple have decided not to implement any further support for the Olympus cameras that were introduced after the M1X, maybe this has something to do with the sale of the Olympus Imaging Division, I can't think why but it is a coincidence.

 Dan Dare's gear list:Dan Dare's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z7 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads